News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Youngstown, OH Roads Enthusiast Meet (f/ Sharon, PA)

Started by DanTheMan414, March 29, 2009, 05:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanTheMan414

WHEN: Saturday, 5/09/2009 @ 12:00 Noon
WHERE: Tokyo House Restaurant, 1901 South Ave., Youngstown, OH  44502
DIRECTIONS: Follow I-680 to Exit #7, South Ave.  Tokyo House is just south of the interchange.

Our gathering will begin at 12:00 Noon at Tokyo House, a very popular eatery in the Youngstown vicinity that does offer American fare, for those who might be wondering. This will be the meet-and-greet portion of the day, where you'll get a chance to meet other roads enthusiasts, and if you have any interesting photos, maps, atlases, etc., you're more than welcome to bring those in during lunch, to share with the rest of the group.

After lunch, we'll be hitting the road to tour some of the highlights of the roads of the Youngstown-Sharon vicinity.  Included will be the completed OH 711 freeway (now a little more than 2 years old); work along I-80 north of the Youngstown area; the I-76/I-80/Ohio Turnpike/Co. Rd. 18 interchange; the PA 60 freeway, which will become I-376 in the not-so-distant future; and much more!

If you would be interested in attending the meet, or if you would like more information, please e-mail me at dan # gribblenation.net (change "#" to "@" to e-mail).  Thanks.  We hope to see you out at the Youngstown Roads Meet on Saturday, 5/09!

yanksfan6129

I'd like to go. It will take a lot of brown nosing . . .

Voyager

Let me know when one of these reaches California. At least I'll have a chance of going to it.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

yanksfan6129

You wanna have one in Philly the last weekend in May?

PAHighways

I did one back in May 2004 and thought about doing another National in Philadelphia.  One stop I would have would be the Traffic Control Center at the District 6 headquarters, but in 2004, it was still only a Monday through Friday operation.

Now there is more to see such as the US 202 project beginning and the Fort Washington Expressway rehab in its final stages.

Ian

yanksfan,

I dunno. There is a good chance that in that weekend, I could be visiting my grandpa up in Wellesley, MA (just west of Boston). But if it turns out Im not, that doesnt sound like a very bad idea. Heck, may be Jeff can come east to meet with us  :cool: :poke: :-D
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

yanksfan6129

Koo. I will definitely be in Philly that weekend.

As for the Youngstown meet, it appears that I may actually be able to attend!!!!!!! I just gotta keep my grades up (not too difficult for me!).

ComputerGuy

Call me up (via Wikipedia, here, etc) on one in Seattle...there's bound to be one with the new Tacoma Narrows Bridge, US 99 sign, SR 167 HOT lanes, etc.

corco

mightyace

I doubt that I can be there, even though it sounds interesting.

But, I SERIOUSLY recommend that those who attend go to Quaker Steak and Lube in Sharon, PA.  Good steak and awesome wings!

P. S. They also have a location at the OH 45 exit of I-80 just west of the I-80, I-680, OH 11 junction.  But, the original location is the best!
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

PAHighways

I originally tossed out the idea of QS&L but the Boardman location is only an express location.  The Christmas 2003 SWPA Meet was held at the Cranberry location, which for a road-themed restaurant, was the only time the longest running series of meets took place.

I always try to pick something local, and with it along with other SWPA-based restaurants King's, Hoss's, Eat'nPark, and Primanti's, have been the site of several gatherings.

DanTheMan414

The 2005 Columbus Meet was also held at a Quaker Steak & Lube.

Dougtone

Why not try to run a meet out on the West Coast?

Dougtone

I usually try to pick a local restaurant for a meet lunch location, sometimes something a little more regional.  I think we've done good with that throughout the Northeast as meets go.

Alex

The California roadgeeks generally get together in smaller numbers and do multiple day trips. There was once a Southern California Road Enthusiast Meet hosted by Don Hagstrom IIRC.

DanTheMan414

It's amazing how fast April went by...we're just a few days away from the meet!  We have a lot of fun stuff planned for the afternoon, and we hope you'll be able to join us for the meet-and-greet and tour of the Youngstown, OH and Sharon/New Castle, PA vicinities. 

If you would be interesting in attending, and have not yet RSVP'd, I wanted to gather a headcount for the restaurant in advance of the meet.  Please let me know by Friday, either in this thread or via private message, that you're interested, and we'll include you in the #s. 

Looking forward to Saturday...we hope to see you there!

florida

I miss Eat N Park! Wish they were down here.  :)
So many roads...so little time.

yanksfan6129

Dan: I assume that you have counted 2 people in my party: both me and my father.
See you then.

BigMattFromTexas

man i wish there were meets in Texas
or at least i don't know of any :-(

yanksfan6129

I'm going to bed now, at 10 local time, so that I can wake up bright and early for the loooooong drive across northern Pennsylvania to make it for the meet. I'm excited.

See everyone that is attending tomorrow!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.