News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Addresses in New England - what's the highest you've seen? Any 5-digit ones?

Started by KCRoadFan, July 20, 2022, 09:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

From the trips we've taken to New England (as well as subsequent Street View journeys in the region), here's one thing I know about it: by and large, the addresses work a little differently there compared to other regions of the country. Instead of being based on a street grid, the address numbers on most streets and roads in New England just start at zero and increase from there, as is done in Europe. (It's befitting of the region's colonial heritage; after all, it has "England" right in the name!)

That being said, I want to know: have you seen any 5-digit address numbers in New England? If not, what is the highest number you have seen? I'm pretty sure there are no 5-digit address numbers in New England even on rural highways - the kind of roads where 5-digit numbers are very common here in the Midwest, either based on the street grid of a nearby city or some arbitrary baseline at the county line. In New England, on the other hand, addresses on rural roads either start at the town line (that is, reset to zero) or they increase going outward from the town center; in those instances, the addresses will start going down again upon crossing the town line. What's more, the addresses on these roads often increase rather slowly (at least, that's what I remember from experience), and in a number of towns, the house numbers along the road barely reach 1000 (or even 500) before reaching the town line.

Of course, in the denser urban areas, where there are more properties - and thus more addresses - along a given road, four-digit numbers are somewhat more common; even so, addresses above 3000 are almost unheard of. The only ones that I can think of are Washington Street in Boston, as well as Boston Road, which carries US 20 in Wilbraham, MA, east of Springfield; the latter is cheating somewhat, as it continues the addresses from Springfield instead of resetting at the town line. I can't imagine where you would find addresses above 4000, let alone 5000 - to say nothing of 5 digits - short of some arbitrarily high number being slapped upon some suburban MetroWest office building west of Boston.

(I should note that in the aforementioned paragraphs, I was thinking about southern New England - Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island - in particular. I can't really speak for New Hampshire or Maine, but as for Vermont, I do remember seeing some addresses in the 7000 range along US 7 south of Bennington, right as you cross into the state heading north from Williamstown, MA. Aside from that, I am interested in finding out what the largest address numbers in New England - especially in CT, MA, and RI - might be. I can't wait to hear more!)

MATraveler128

5 digit addresses do exist in Massachusetts, but they're not that common. Boston goes up well into 4 digits, but I've personally never seen 5 digits.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

jp the roadgeek

Highest I can think of in my area of CT is Whitney Ave in Hamden just before the Cheshire town line.  The numbers start in downtown New Haven and continue into Hamden, including the portion that is CT 10. They get up to almost 4500.  Highest single town example I can think of is Main St in Hartford, which gets close to 3600. 

EDIT: Main St in Trumbull has numbers approaching 7200, as they continue the numbers from Bridgeport's Main St up to where it meets the end of the expressway portion of CT 25, then onto CT 25 to the Monroe town line.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Alps

I can vouch that NJ also generally starts at zero, so it's far from only a New England thing. It's at least the greater Northeast (including Mid-Atlantic).

Rothman

Quote from: Alps on July 21, 2022, 11:45:20 PM
I can vouch that NJ also generally starts at zero, so it's far from only a New England thing. It's at least the greater Northeast (including Mid-Atlantic).
MD has very high addresses.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Ted$8roadFan

Many four-digit address numbers.  I've not seen any five-digit ones in New England, but they could exist.

Rothman

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on July 22, 2022, 06:02:15 AM
Many four-digit address numbers.  I've not seen any five-digit ones in New England, but they could exist.
CT would be the best bet for any five-numbered addresses...if they exist at all.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bjcolby50

I know that in Boston, the highest address number is 5343, which is the last house on Washington Street before the Boston/Dedham line.  The next highest is Centre St (2675), followed by Dorchester Avenue (2297), Commonwealth Avenue (2129), Columbus Avenue (2056), Hyde Park Avenue (1932), River Street (1916), Columbia Road (1860), Blue Hill Avenue (1665), and Tremont St (1641).

I think Fall River has the highest address number at North Main St (5500), and New Bedford with Acushnet Avenue (4667).

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

dantheman

5985 State Highway, Eastham, MA

I tripped across this yesterday, and didn't expect anything on Cape Cod to be in contention for the highest number in New England. "State Highway" (the name of US 6 for address purposes) starts at 175 just north of the Orleans Rotary at the MA 6A intersection, and gets to 5985 at the Wellfleet town line. Old State Highway, which is the bit of old US 6 that was bypassed at the rotary, has numbers as low as 30, so this isn't "cheating" by starting at a number much higher than zero.

State Highway does this in 6.0 miles, while N Main St in Fall River gets to 5500 in 5.1 miles and Washington Street in Boston takes 9.0 miles to get to 5343 - so the "address density" on N Main in Fall River is a little higher than State Highway, and Washington Street is a good bit lower (which surprises me).

kurumi

There's an organic (numbered from start of the road) 3747 Hebron Ave. (CT 94) in Glastonbury, CT. This is about 8.2 miles from the zero point. If the road had developed properties out to the town line, addresses might hit 3900.

More contrived: 28334 Town Walk Dr, Hamden, CT

Quote from: Streetman on August 19, 2023, 02:57:00 PM
A road looping through a large apartment complex in my town has an unusual numbering system that assigns a unique house number to each apartment. The first one or two digits indicate the building number; the next, hundreds, digit, one of up to four entrances to that building; the tens digit, the floor; and the final digit, the apartment on that floor. The highest number on this street, less than a mile long, is 28334. This is a huge house number in New England, where grid address systems are almost nonexistent. Does this system exist anywhere else?
https://www.google.com/maps/place/28334+Town+Walk+Dr,+Hamden,+CT+06518/@41.3931561,-72.9140772,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x89e7da9014e50103:0xf9332231938e547c!8m2!3d41.3931561!4d-72.9115023!5m1!1e1?entry=ttu
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

cpzilliacus

Highest address in the county where I reside (Montgomery County, Maryland) is
probably on MD-27, 29278 RIDGE RD.  This is near the northern tip of the county. 
It has a mailing address in Mount Airy, which is in Frederick County or Carroll
County but a few homes near here have a Mount Airy mailing address.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

rushfan01760

Northborough, MA has a small area of shops on Shops Way (Northborough Crossing) that have address numbers in the 10000s (example:  MOOYAH is located at 10010-A Shops Way).  Most of these shops have commas in their address numbers.

Streetman

Can we get a definitive answer to the highest address number in New England, ruling out contrived systems like the one in the previous post and the one I found, quoted two posts before that? Based on the original post, I found 7987 US 7, Pownal, VT. Can anyone top that?
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7451827,-73.2131676,19z?entry=ttu

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.