News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Underappreciated Aspect of the NJTP: Complete Philly Obliviousness

Started by bluecountry, June 19, 2024, 06:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: TheStranger on July 13, 2024, 02:04:50 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 03, 2024, 03:44:53 PM
Quote from: mrsman on July 03, 2024, 02:38:08 PM.... and since the Beltways had so many exits, they encouraged suburban development. ...

This is definitely one of the key points. Even though the Capital Beltway works better than going straight through DC (due primarily to I-95 never having been finished, of course), it is nevertheless often referred to as the DC area's "Main Street." It's kind of striking when you look at maps how often a beltway has become a route through an area due to growth, rather than a route around an area. That's not unique to Interstate beltways, of course; the Charlottesville bypass, especially the US-250 portion east of where US-29 splits off, is a fine example of a road built a long time ago that no longer bypasses the area due to ongoing growth.

The "through the area thing" is what define I-405 in LA (which I think I and others talked about a bit in the "bypasses/beltways that work" thread earlier this month).

Since you're local to the area, I wonder: from Beltsville to the Springfield Interchange (basically from each end of where 95 meets 495), have traffic patterns changed enough since I-695's completion in DC to make the 295/695/395 route (the future DC 295 to I-395 route) better at some times of day, than following the east half of the Beltway?

I don't drive to that area of Maryland often enough to be certain, but my general sense is "not really," in part because DC-295 is not a very good road, in part because of heavy commuter traffic and relatively frequent accidents on the DC portion of I-395, in part because the timing can be so fickle if something is going on in DC like a baseball or soccer game (both located near the highway), and in part because if you're headed northbound there's just about always a backup approaching the 14th Street Bridge (unless you pay the toll for the express lanes).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bluecountry

Quote from: mrsman on July 03, 2024, 02:38:08 PMOne aspect of all of this is some of the history.

FDR had planned a system of toll roads, basically three E-W and three N-S across the counrty.  While they could be used for city to city travel, they purposefully were routed away from the cities so that the high speed roads would always be high speed, and local connectors were needed to get to the cities.

Now there was no funding for this, and it was also established that there would be no demand for such a system in the most rural areas of the country, but of course, parts of the designed system were built explaining why the oldest pre-interstate toll roads completely bypassed Philly, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Buffalo, etc. as others have stated earlier.

So it was a phenomenal design to route NJTP in such a way that it doesn't even blink for Philly issues.  It is across a river and across toll bridges so it is unaffected, even though a normal bypass like 476 would be somewhat affected.

And it is a shame that when the interstate highways were finally proposed by Ike, in order to get passed by Congress, it was redesigned to service the cities more directly.  Beltways were also developed as a means of bypassing, but one of the problems with a typical beltway is that it was longer in distance than simply going through the center.  So even long distance traffic would go through the center and since the Beltways had so many exits, they encouraged suburban development.  Until recently, toll roads had far fewer exits becuase of the extra costs involved of creating all of the toll plazas.  This limited development and kept the road as a long distance bypass with little development.

Bolded.  Yes, and it still amazes me and I think is undervalued just how fortunate we are to have this road which completely misses any Philly metro issues.  Do they even cover the NJTP regularly on Philly traffic reports?

TheStranger

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 13, 2024, 10:43:40 AM
Quote from: mrsman on July 03, 2024, 02:38:08 PM.... and since the Beltways had so many exits, they encouraged suburban development. ...

This is definitely one of the key points. Even though the Capital Beltway works better than going straight through DC (due primarily to I-95 never having been finished, of course), it is nevertheless often referred to as the DC area's "Main Street." It's kind of striking when you look at maps how often a beltway has become a route through an area due to growth, rather than a route around an area. That's not unique to Interstate beltways, of course; the Charlottesville bypass, especially the US-250 portion east of where US-29 splits off, is a fine example of a road built a long time ago that no longer bypasses the area due to ongoing growth.

The "through the area thing" is what define I-405 in LA (which I think I and others talked about a bit in the "bypasses/beltways that work" thread earlier this month).

Since you're local to the area, I wonder: from Beltsville to the Springfield Interchange (basically from each end of where 95 meets 495), have traffic patterns changed enough since I-695's completion in DC to make the 295/695/395 route (the future DC 295 to I-395 route) better at some times of day, than following the east half of the Beltway?

I don't drive to that area of Maryland often enough to be certain, but my general sense is "not really," in part because DC-295 is not a very good road, in part because of heavy commuter traffic and relatively frequent accidents on the DC portion of I-395, in part because the timing can be so fickle if something is going on in DC like a baseball or soccer game (both located near the highway), and in part because if you're headed northbound there's just about always a backup approaching the 14th Street Bridge (unless you pay the toll for the express lanes).

Thanks for the local perspective!

For my own entertainment I looked at Google Maps to see what it recommends northbound at this hour (2:27 PM Eastern) from Springfield to Baltimore.

- the fastest route...uses none of 95 or the vast majority of MD 295/BWP north of the beltway!  The fastest route is 95/495 on east side of Beltway, then 50, then I-97, then finally a short snippet of MD 295 to get into town, 68 miles at 1 hour 37 minutes.

- The other two suggested routes are:
West side of the Beltway + 95 = 2 hours 3 minutes, 59 miles
395 to 695 to 295 = 2 hours 3 minutes as well, but only 52 miles

I then did the same search on Google Maps but southbound:

- The fastest route Google reccommends is 295 south to the Beltway, then 495/95 south to Springfield, 1 hour 22 minutes at 58 miles
- Both the 295/695/395 route and the 95 to west half of Beltway route are 1 hour 27 minutes.
Chris Sampang

1995hoo

Heh, on Saturday my wife was driving home from Hershey and messed up the routing because she listened to her sat-nav instead of paying attention to the signs—she had wanted to take US-15 south to I-270, but her sat-nav told her to use southbound I-83 and she followed it before realizing which road it was using. So rather than turning around, she took I-83 down to Baltimore and then I-95 to the Beltway. When she got home, she was complaining that it then told her to exit onto the BW Parkway to head down through DC instead of just staying on the Beltway (at that point she ignored it and took the Beltway). She doesn't pay the extra to have the traffic data enabled on her sat-nav, so it was almost certainly going purely on "shortest distance."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bzakharin

Quote from: bluecountry on July 15, 2024, 01:37:17 PMDo they even cover the NJTP regularly on Philly traffic reports?
Before the widening between exits 6 and 9, there would be a regular northbound traffic jam between exits 6 and 8 which would always be mentioned on Philly traffic reports.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on July 16, 2024, 10:57:38 AM
Quote from: bluecountry on July 15, 2024, 01:37:17 PMDo they even cover the NJTP regularly on Philly traffic reports?
Before the widening between exits 6 and 9, there would be a regular northbound traffic jam between exits 6 and 8 which would always be mentioned on Philly traffic reports.

And when there's an issue on the Turnpike further south, it's mentioned. Philly reporters don't take offense either Turnpike (NJ & PA) bypasses the city.

Personally, the traffic reports city-wide aren't great to begin with, but that's another story.

Ted$8roadFan

I have also been struck by how much the NJTP feels like the farthest thing from Philadelphia even though it passes directly through its metropolitan area and is a major part of the northeast corridor. Heck, it only had one exit that even directly connected to Philly until 95 was semi-completed in Bucks County.

A few reasons why include the obvious fact that it's a toll road; fewer exits; free alternatives (95 and 295); the fact it was completed before the other highways and not in response to suburban growth; and perhaps Philadelphia's second city status (judging by the fact that there was no direct connection between NYC and Philly for over half a century).

webny99

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on July 18, 2024, 05:41:35 AMperhaps Philadelphia's second city status (judging by the fact that there was no direct connection between NYC and Philly for over half a century).

This is an interesting case of "chicken vs. egg". Philly obviously hasn't always been a second city dating back to the late 18th and 19th centuries. So was it already a second city prior to the 1950's, or did it start to feel that way only once it was completely bypassed by the Turnpike?

BrianP

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on July 18, 2024, 05:41:35 AMI have also been struck by how much the NJTP feels like the farthest thing from Philadelphia even though it passes directly through its metropolitan area and is a major part of the northeast corridor. Heck, it only had one exit that even directly connected to Philly until 95 was semi-completed in Bucks County.

A few reasons why include the obvious fact that it's a toll road; fewer exits; free alternatives (95 and 295); the fact it was completed before the other highways and not in response to suburban growth; and perhaps Philadelphia's second city status (judging by the fact that there was no direct connection between NYC and Philly for over half a century).
I think much of this feel comes from not seeing what's actually around the highway due to the tree curtain on either side of the highway. Since the Turnpike has ROW on either side of the highway that is not used yet which preserves that curtain. Though that does seem to be less in the winter when some trees have no leaves. I fear this feel will go away in some places with the coming widening when much of those trees within the ROW are cut down.

bluecountry

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on July 18, 2024, 05:41:35 AMI have also been struck by how much the NJTP feels like the farthest thing from Philadelphia even though it passes directly through its metropolitan area and is a major part of the northeast corridor. Heck, it only had one exit that even directly connected to Philly until 95 was semi-completed in Bucks County.

Quote from: BrianP on July 18, 2024, 11:36:24 AMI think it reflects the slang term for Philly, "BosRoit" (Boston-Detroit), whereas Center City is flourishing but other areas have more similarities to industrial decline.

What I mean is, take Long Island.  Prior to suburbanization it was very much like South Jersey:
- East of the city, a lot of wetlands, no major rivers, opposite direction of most rail service (west).
Prior to post WWII Long Island like South Jersey sparsely populated and developed.  This led to Long Island having a lot available land which quickly got consumed by housing due to the demand and vibrancy of the market.

South Jersey, well the railroads mainly headed west, which is where development originally followed.  Post WWII, metro Philly had more land available to satisfy suburban demand (since it is not a peninsula like NY) which lowered the need to conquer the "boonies" in Jersey.  But moreover, Philly is smaller but still a market; however it has not boomed.  It has not really grown and that I think is why South Jersey has relatively speaking remained low density.  I mean if you 25 miles west of Philly you are in the heart of the suburbs but on the NJTP you would never you are so close.

I think much of this feel comes from not seeing what's actually around the highway due to the tree curtain on either side of the highway. Since the Turnpike has ROW on either side of the highway that is not used yet which preserves that curtain. Though that does seem to be less in the winter when some trees have no leaves. I fear this feel will go away in some places with the coming widening when much of those trees within the ROW are cut down.
I disagree.  First I can see on my maps how little there is south of exit 3.
Second, the development I do see is mostly very low density which is common in small markets or further out.  Tress would not block apartment buildings, big offices, etc.

Ted$8roadFan

For the record, I love Philly, having once lived there. But there is something to its left-behind nature (perhaps more appropriate for another thread).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: webny99 on July 18, 2024, 08:48:27 AM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on July 18, 2024, 05:41:35 AMperhaps Philadelphia's second city status (judging by the fact that there was no direct connection between NYC and Philly for over half a century).

This is an interesting case of "chicken vs. egg". Philly obviously hasn't always been a second city dating back to the late 18th and 19th centuries. So was it already a second city prior to the 1950's, or did it start to feel that way only once it was completely bypassed by the Turnpike?

Being so close to New York, yet so dwarfed by its size, it feels like a 2nd city.

It certainly gets the shaft by so many travelers going by it just several miles away and never realizing it.  Due to the tree-line along the Turnpike and its tendency to have been built slightly below the existing grade in areas, the city is never visible to travelers. 

On the parallel I-295, around Exit 23, and between Exit 25 & 26, there's a momentary view but you have to look away from the road to see it. 

Working the Exit 1 toll plaza on the NJ Turnpike (this is back in 2000-2003), I had numerous SB drivers asking how much further to Philly. They weren't pleased when I told them they passed it about a half-hour ago, trying to explain that Exits 3 & 4 were marked for Philly.  Of course, they also weren't familiar with how 95 'disappeared' from the Turnpike either, so they were expecting the highway to lead them directly into the city.  I usually instructed them to continue into Delaware, then follow signs for I-495 North which was marked for Philadelphia.

For what its worth, when there were larger events - say sports teams from Philly & New York playing each other, they would reference it as a Turnpike series/game, relating the connection of the NJ Turnpike, even though it never entered either city (although very close to the Giants/Jets stadiums).

mrsman

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 13, 2024, 10:43:40 AM

My experiences tell me to avoid the 395/695/295 routing.  The crossing of the Potomac on 395 is extremely bad and backed up as 1995hoo mentioned.  The merger of 695 into 295 is also pretty lousy.  The combined traffic of 695 and 295 into northbound DC-295 is down to 2 lanes in the NB direction.  (It widens to 3 after East Capitol Street).  That squeeze is also a big slow point.  So much so that a lot of traffic even from Downtown DC will still use Independence Ave to East Capitol to DC-295 instead of I-695 to avoid that traffic squeeze.  A similar traffic squeeze occurs where New York Ave traffic merges in at US 50.  Thru traffic had to do a lot of lane changes and essentially there are points along the way where you don't even have two consistent lanes to make it all the way between Springfield and Greenbelt.  The Beltway routings are far more consistent and really should be used instead when traveling between MD and VA unless your destination is well within the Beltway like Crystal City or Downtown DC.

In short, it is nice having an expressway/parkway routing through town, but it is far more deficient of a routing than what I-95 would have been as can be seen in how 95 is effective as a thru-town route for Baltimore or Philly.

I live closest to the Georgia Ave exit of the Beltway, so pretty much any VA trip means taking 495 via the American Legion Bridge and then exiting from there.  As I don't commute to VA, I'm rarely doing this drive during morning rush hour, so the drive is pretty good to stay on Beltway to Springfield or to exit onto GW Pkwy or I-66 to get into Arlington.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.