News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmacswimmer

I currently have just a Maryland account, but I'm debating picking up an on-the-go* tag whenever I'm next in Upstate New York for future road trips to New England - I can handle the current $6.61 out-of-state rate for the Tappan Zee (which is the NYSTA toll I hit the most), but the proposed NYSTA toll hikes that will match the out-of-state rate to the toll-by-mail rate and hike both to $13.56 by 2027 (compared to the in-state rate of $7.75 by 2027) have me strongly reconsidering. I can tolerate agencies having the 3-tiered rate (such as MDTA, NYSTA for the moment, and MassDOT) since I at least still get a break off the toll-by-mail rate, but matching the out-of-state rate to the toll-by-mail rate (looking at you PANYNJ, MTAB&T, and potentially NYSTA) is what I have a bone to pick with.

*To ensure it's a NYSTA tag rather than a PANYNJ tag, which for some reason charges a monthly fee while NYSTA & MTAB&T don't.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MASTERNC on February 23, 2023, 12:56:00 PM
I can imagine this happening more often if people have to carry more passes to minimize the tolls they pay.  I was tempted to consolidate by adding a tag to my brother's MD account since he lives there, but decided against it.

It will be extremely minimal the number of people that have multiple EZ Passes to try to get the absolute best rate at all times.  Most people aren't going to spend the time to look up each individual agency to get a tag, then tie up their money with that agency on the rare occasion they're using that toll road, then have their EZ Passes placed in their vehicle so they can switch them based on their travel plans.  There's a few that do, especially in the AARoads family, but it's rare.

Very few people use multiple agencies in a single day.  Maybe someone commuting from NJ may benefit due to all the surrounding different tolling authorities, but NJ's EZ Pass program has agreements with nearby agencies for discounts, which greatly eliminate the need for multiple EZ Passes.

MD offers a discount for their tolling points, but you have to have an MD address to qualify.  And people in MD using their EZ Pass probably aren't traveling thru other toll plazas too often in other states where they would benefit from another program.

If people want to save money, there are a lot of other ways to do it.  Having an app for each convenience store and restaurant they visit usually results in savings on a per-visit or accumulated point basis.  Clipping coupons.  Searching out deals on 3rd party websites.  Knowing the gas price at every gas station they pass to hit the lowest one.  Driving slower on highways to increase fuel economy.  These are all everyday ways to save money, rather than saving a dollar or two on a rarely used EZ Pass facility.

roadman65

I noticed now how PTC addressed the two redundant NB NE Ext Exit 31 ramps now that cash tolls are historic.  They signed 31A as EB PA 63 while 31B is signed WB PA 63.  IMO, they should close 31B and make 31A the sole 31 as left turns are still permitted at the end of Exit 31A making WB PA 63 still accessible there.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Flyer78

Why?

All of that infrastructure was rebuilt during the widening in that section (around 2015-2016)

The tool booths will come down, sure; and perhaps even the ETC equipment on the northbound exit/southbound access; but it would seem a waste to abandon that.

akotchi

^^ If anything, prohibit the left turns at the top of each ramp (allowing the turns the signs advertise).  Could simplify the traffic signal phasing.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Flyer78

There is no southbound access to either direction of Sumneytown Pike without going over the bridge to the tollbooths -- new ramps would need to be constructed anyway for southbound traffic.

I'm guessing the northbound slipramp (31A) had the left turn for the benefit of E-ZPass holders; and to allow traffic heading east a break in the traffic to turn, I believe the ramp also has a system to cycle the lights if traffic beings to backup toward the mainline, which I have seen happen at peak times.

https://goo.gl/maps/6unf6ZRwYaDHvWoj6 

wilbur_the_goose

I've noticed a lot of tree removal work in Chester County - centered on exit 312.   Appears that the PTC has removed many trees so that the roadway gets more sun and doesn't succumb to the freeze/thaw cycle.  Great work!

The odd thing is that they cut the trees and left the remains on the ground.   It looks horrible and I'm sure private land owners nearby aren't thrilled.

Is this normal, or will PTC clean up their tree trash once the weather improves?

famartin

Quote from: wilbur_the_goose on March 12, 2023, 12:38:10 PM
I've noticed a lot of tree removal work in Chester County - centered on exit 312.   Appears that the PTC has removed many trees so that the roadway gets more sun and doesn't succumb to the freeze/thaw cycle.  Great work!

The odd thing is that they cut the trees and left the remains on the ground.   It looks horrible and I'm sure private land owners nearby aren't thrilled.

Is this normal, or will PTC clean up their tree trash once the weather improves?

Isn't that work related to the widening project?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on March 12, 2023, 01:11:28 PM

Yeah. They don't chop trees down to compensate for a few days of potential freezing.

ARMOURERERIC

Bitmapped

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 12, 2023, 01:58:27 PM
Quote from: famartin on March 12, 2023, 01:11:28 PM

Yeah. They don't chop trees down to compensate for a few days of potential freezing.

Sure they do. See https://aashtojournal.org/2022/03/25/canopy-clearing-helping-improve-roadway-safety/ for an AASHTO Journal article about the process.

Great Lakes Roads

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on March 21, 2023, 12:07:16 AM
https://www.wtae.com/article/pennsylvania-turnpike-toll-ezpass-house-bill-price-gap/43370032#

Pennsylvania might be the next state to get rid of the price gap...

That entire article is a "What the hell are they trying to say?".

MASTERNC

https://www.wtae.com/article/pennsylvania-turnpike-toll-ezpass-house-bill-price-gap/43370032#

That is a terrible article as far as explaining the purpose of that bill.  The interviews were framed the wrong way as well.

I already wrote to my rep (and the author of the bill) expressing my opposition to a two-tier E-ZPass rate structure.

tckma

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 21, 2023, 12:18:04 AM

So... they want to eliminate the EZ-Pass discount and charge everyone the higher rates?  Sounds very PTC.  Way to ensure I NEVER use the Turnpike.

MASTERNC

Quote from: tckma on March 21, 2023, 09:09:13 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 21, 2023, 12:18:04 AM

So... they want to eliminate the EZ-Pass discount and charge everyone the higher rates?  Sounds very PTC.  Way to ensure I NEVER use the Turnpike.

The way I read the actual bill (linked below) is they want to eliminate the huge toll-by-plate differential for Pennsylvania plates and charge them and PA E-ZPass users the same rate.  Everyone else (non-PA E-ZPass users and toll-by-plate users) would pay a higher rate, possibly the current toll-by-plate rates.

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/Legis/PN/Public/btCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&sessYr=2023&sessInd=0&billBody=H&billTyp=B&billNbr=0516&pn=0485

tckma

Quote from: MASTERNC on March 21, 2023, 10:32:31 AM

The way I read the actual bill (linked below) is they want to eliminate the huge toll-by-plate differential for Pennsylvania plates and charge them and PA E-ZPass users the same rate.  Everyone else (non-PA E-ZPass users and toll-by-plate users) would pay a higher rate, possibly the current toll-by-plate rates.

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/Legis/PN/Public/btCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&sessYr=2023&sessInd=0&billBody=H&billTyp=B&billNbr=0516&pn=0485

Admittedly, I have not read the bill yet, but thank you for the link, and I will read the bill.

My car has Pennsylvania plates (well, PLATE, but this is not the forum to discuss the relative merits and demerits of having a front license plate, suffice it to say I am very much in favor of front plates in any jurisdiction that experiences snow and/or mud), but my E-ZPass transponder is from New Jersey.  I've never cared much, because my understanding is that E-ZPass users get the same toll rates on the PA Turnpike regardless of the issuing agency for the E-ZPass transponder.  Is this wrong?  Do PTC-issued E-ZPass transponders incur a lower toll rate on the PA Turnpike?

I don't like what NY and MD and probably a whole dossier of other states do with charging out-of-state E-ZPass transponders higher rates.  I don't want to have 34781263741891 different E-ZPass transponders in my car, select the "right" one, and make sure all the others don't get read/charged.  I chose a NJ transponder for reasons related to the frequency with which I used DRPA bridges at the time (now I'm reconsidering this -- lower PA Turnpike toll rates for PTC-issued transponders might push me to switch to a PTC-issued transponder).

storm2k

Quote from: tckma on March 22, 2023, 11:35:09 AM

Admittedly, I have not read the bill yet, but thank you for the link, and I will read the bill.

My car has Pennsylvania plates (well, PLATE, but this is not the forum to discuss the relative merits and demerits of having a front license plate, suffice it to say I am very much in favor of front plates in any jurisdiction that experiences snow and/or mud), but my E-ZPass transponder is from New Jersey.  I've never cared much, because my understanding is that E-ZPass users get the same toll rates on the PA Turnpike regardless of the issuing agency for the E-ZPass transponder.  Is this wrong?  Do PTC-issued E-ZPass transponders incur a lower toll rate on the PA Turnpike?

I don't like what NY and MD and probably a whole dossier of other states do with charging out-of-state E-ZPass transponders higher rates.  I don't want to have 34781263741891 different E-ZPass transponders in my car, select the "right" one, and make sure all the others don't get read/charged.  I chose a NJ transponder for reasons related to the frequency with which I used DRPA bridges at the time (now I'm reconsidering this -- lower PA Turnpike toll rates for PTC-issued transponders might push me to switch to a PTC-issued transponder).

Unfortunately for all of us, transponder discrimination is an easy way for toll facility operators to bring in higher revenues without ruffling a lot of feathers. Plenty of people don't even pay attention to how much it costs, just that their EZPass deducted the toll properly. I wish the IAG had put stronger wording into the compacts to prohibit this behavior but this is now a fact of life. Basically every state does it. If the PTC isn't doing it already, they likely will at some point.

MASTERNC

The irony is the author of the bill is from Philadelphia, where there is likely an insignificant number of residents who have a NJ E-ZPass for the same reason you do.  I wrote to the author and to our state representative pointing this out.

Right now, all E-ZPass users pay the same E-ZPass rate, so there's no incentive to switch.  If PA got rid of the annual fee (especially for residents like MD/NY have done) and the convenience fee for buying a pre-loaded tag at a retailer, I think it would be more palatable for people to get E-ZPass.  Even better would be a pay-per-trip option.  I noted all of those in my letters.

Alps

Don't NJ transponders charge $1/month? That's why I went straight to NY Thruway.

ixnay

Quote from: storm2k on March 22, 2023, 02:43:03 PMI wish the IAG had put stronger wording into the compacts to prohibit this behavior but this is now a fact of life.

"IAG"?  Google isn't helping iykwim.

Rothman

Quote from: ixnay on March 23, 2023, 07:27:12 AM
Quote from: storm2k on March 22, 2023, 02:43:03 PMI wish the IAG had put stronger wording into the compacts to prohibit this behavior but this is now a fact of life.

Interagency Group.

Searching "E-zpass iag" brings it right up.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ixnay

Quote from: Rothman on March 23, 2023, 07:27:32 AM
Quote from: ixnay on March 23, 2023, 07:27:12 AM

Interagency Group.

Searching "E-zpass iag" brings it right up.

Complete with the link to the Wikipedia article on EZP that tell us before we click it that E-ZPass has been with us since 1987.  Wow, that long?!?  If only I'd thought of the magic word...  :rolleyes: :D Thanks, Rothman.

wanderer2575

Quote from: storm2k on March 22, 2023, 02:43:03 PM
Unfortunately for all of us, transponder discrimination is an easy way for toll facility operators to bring in higher revenues without ruffling a lot of feathers. Plenty of people don't even pay attention to how much it costs, just that their EZPass deducted the toll properly. I wish the IAG had put stronger wording into the compacts to prohibit this behavior but this is now a fact of life. Basically every state does it. If the PTC isn't doing it already, they likely will at some point.

It's not simply about bringing in higher revenues; it's also about bringing in the same revenues.  Besides the actual tolls paid, there is additional revenue (e.g. transponder deposits, prefunded amounts sitting in user accounts) that toll facility operators don't get when a motorist uses an E-ZPass issued by another agency.  At least part of the discrimination is to make up for that.

For what it's worth, the Ohio Turnpike currently does not practice transponder discrimination.  Their toll calculator does not show separate toll amounts for in-state vs. out-of-state transponders. 

MASTERNC

Quote from: Alps on March 23, 2023, 12:02:15 AM

Don't NJ transponders charge $1/month? That's why I went straight to NY Thruway.

That is correct.  However, many of the bridges into PA offer frequent user discounts for NJ tagholders (because the bridge agencies use NJ for their E-ZPass programs), plus there are NJ Turnpike off-peak discounts that only apply to NJ transponders.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.