News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Around Florida in 31 hours?

Started by brianreynolds, November 27, 2012, 08:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianreynolds

Back in November of 1996 I visited Florida for the first (and thus far only) time.  It wasn't on our planned route, but my bride-to-be and I were southbound on I-65 en route to our wedding in New Orleans.  M'lady had been to Florida a few times, but she tolerated a slight diversion/detour through Escambia County for the sole purpose of allowing me one more notch in the states-visited tally.
Since then, I have redefined my places-visited focus.  I am now (and have been for the past several years) a county-counter.  Last year I began a new tradition.  Because I normally have the week between Christmas and New Years Day off, I used some of that time to visit new places.  I had a great time seeing parts of New York, Massachusetts, Vermont and New Hampshire.
This year I plan to focus on the Southeast US, with special emphasis on Florida.  With that in mind, I have devised an itinerary that would visit every county in the state efficiently.  It is quite unlikely that I will actually complete this.  Time and mileage figures are compliments of Mapquest.   Waypoints were chosen somewhat at random, to divide the whole into bite-sized pieces.
Beginning at the state line Welcome Center on southbound I-75 near Jennings FL, then south along I-75 to exit 435, east along  I-10 to US-41 exit 301, the county road by-pass around the northeast side of Lake City, FL-100 to Starke, US-301 north to FL-228 (county 228?) northwest to I-10 (at exit 336) east to exit 356 I-295 south and east to Orange Park at the US-17 exit.  For this segment:  Total miles, 140; total time, 2 hours 35 minutes;  counties visited, Hamilton, Suwannee, Columbia, Union, Bradford, Clay, Duval, Baker, Nassau.
Continuing east on I-295, then south along I-95 to FL-207, southwest to FL-100, southeast to US-1 to I-95 to I-4 southwest to FL-46 west to Mt. Pleasant.   For this segment:  Total miles, 152; total time, 2 hours 43 minutes;  counties visited, St. Johns, Putnam, Flagler, Volusia, Seminole, Lake.
South on county 435, then east and south on FL-436, then east on FL-50, southeast on FL-520, south on Deer Park Road  (419), east on US-192 to I-95 (exit 180), south to FL-76 (exit 101). southwest to FL-710 and Indiantown.  For this segment:  Total miles, 179; total time, 3 hours 33 minutes;  counties visited, Orange, Osceola, Brevard, Indian River, St. Lucie, Martin.
Fl-710 northwest and FL-70 west to Brighton, 721 and FL-78 south to US-27 south to FL-997 south to US-41 west to the Shark Valley Visitor Center at Everglades National Park.  For this segment:  Total miles, 193; total time, 3 hours 48 minutes;  counties visited, Okeechobee, Highlands, Glades, Hendry, Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade.
Totals thus far:  travel time, 12 hours 40 minutes, 665 miles, probably more than an ambitious winter day of travel.
Just west of the Shark Valley Visitor Center, US-41 angles to the northwest, a local road continues west and reconnects with US-41 about 20 miles to the west.  I am undecided about which to choose, but the time/mileage figures represent the safer/saner US-41 option.   US-41 west to FL-951 north to I-75 (at exit 101) north to FL-769 (exit 170).  FL=769 and FL-761 north to FL=72 west to Sugar Bowl Road north to FL-70 to Myakka City.     For this segment:  Total miles, 178; total time, 3 hours 13 minutes;  counties visited, (probably) Monroe, Collier, Lee, Charlotte, De Soto, Sarasota, Manatee
From there north on Wauchula Road, east on FL-64 to US-17.  North on US-17 to Bartow, then US-98 to Lakeland.  I could save time and miles by bypassing town, but I want to see Joker Marchant Stadium.  I am a lifelong Detroit Tigers fan, and as long as I can remember the Tigers have held spring training here.  This stop is a (poorly timed, season-wise) pilgrimage of sorts.  Then I-4 west to FL-589 to FL-60 to US-19 north to FL-50 east to to US-41 north to Inverness.  For this segment:  Total miles, 194; total time, 4 hours 19 minutes;  counties visited, Hardee, Polk, Hillsborough, Pinellas, Pasco, Hernando, Citrus.
From Inverness, north on US-41 to Newberry, then west on FL-26 to US-19 (among others) north to FL-51 north a mile or so to Southwest L. A. Bennett Road, then west a mile or so to US-19 northwest to Capps.  For this segment:  Total miles, 163; total time, 3 hours 11 minutes;  counties visited, Marion, Levy, Alachua, Gilchrist, Dixie, Lafayette, Taylor, Madison, Jefferson.
Subtotal since Shark Valley:  travel time, 10 hours 45 minutes, 535 miles, a good place to end a productive day.   Totals thus far:  travel time, 23 hours 25 minutes, 1200 miles, probably more than an ambitious winter day of travel.
From Capps, US-19 a short jump to I-10 at exit 225, then west to exit 209, US-90 west and US-319 south to FL-267 west to FL-20 west to the Ochlockonee River.  A short distance west of the river, it is not clear whether FL-20 enters Gadsden County or not.  No problem, the ambiguity can be resolved with a short (less than a mile) trip north on FL-267, then local roads northwest a mile or so, then south a mile or so back to FL-20.  This short (less than three miles) detour crosses the Liberty-Gadsden line at least four times.  Then FL-20 west to Hosford, FL-65 south to US-98, then west to Port St. Joe.  Then FL-71 and FL-73 north to Clarksville.  FL-20 west and US-231 north to I-10 at exit 130.   I-10 west to exit 56, FL-85 north and US-90 west to FL-4.  West on FL-4 to US-29, then a very short hop north to the Alabama state line near Flomaton.
For this segment:  Total miles, 370; total time, 7 hours 26 minutes;  counties visited, Leon, Wakulla, Liberty, Gadsden, Franklin, Gulf, Calhoun, Bay, Jackson, Washington, Holmes, Walton, Okaloosa, Santa Rosa, Escambia.
Total for the whole circuit, state line to state line: about 1570 miles, just under 31 hours of travel time.
I would appreciate any and all advice on road-related places to see, places to avoid, good local eats, construction delays, etc. 

--
Brian Reynolds
Hastings Michigan

realjd

^^^
Can you draw up a Google Maps route or something? It would help us get a better feel for your routing.

1995hoo

No offense, but could you perchance edit that to put blank lines between the paragraphs? It would make it a lot easier to read. To me it comes across like a huge jumble of text and it makes it hard to sort through it.

Edited to add: I see the name "Starke" in your post. I seem to recall reading that Starke and Waldo are notorious speedtrap towns, though one of the Floridians could confirm for certain. Also, don't plan on stopping for the night near Shark Valley. There's nothing out there. You'd probably be better off stopping somewhere in the Miami area. There are a number of motels and restaurants off I-75 in the general area between Weston and the Turnpike's Homestead Extension. We've stayed at the Grand Palms (Pines Boulevard just west of I-75) because it's the closest to my brother-in-law's house and it was perfectly serviceable but nothing special. The Hampton Inn just off I-75 on Sheridan Street is probably a better choice.

BTW, put gas in the car before you head west into the Everglades on US-41.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

I think you left out the route into Nassau County, FL?  You took I-10 east to I-295 south is bypassing it as Nassau is north of Jax.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 27, 2012, 03:30:42 PM
I see the name "Starke" in your post. I seem to recall reading that Starke and Waldo are notorious speedtrap towns, though one of the Floridians could confirm for certain.

I drove through Starke, Fla. on U.S. 301 on my one and only trip to the Sunshine State in Back in 1985. I was headed from Maryland to Clearwater Beach, Fla., and from there to Miami Beach for a conference.  This being long before widespread Internet use, I had heard about there being a lot of speed traps on 301 between I-10 and Ocala (I think the AAA people may have put a warning on the map I was using, I don't think I had a Triptik). 

So I adhered to the speed limit and did not see even one motorist stopped on that  section of 301.

QuoteBTW, put gas in the car before you head west into the Everglades on US-41.

I did not take U.S. 41, but drove south on the then-new fairly new I-75 from I-275 (after crossing the remaining span of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge) to Naples, then across the Everglades on the two-lane Alligator Alley. 

Probably the longest distance I have ever driven on a two-lane highway at speeds in excess of 75 MPH.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

brianreynolds

Quote from: realjd on November 27, 2012, 03:19:04 PM
^^^
Can you draw up a Google Maps route or something? It would help us get a better feel for your routing.

I don't try very hard to keep up with technology.  I know that Googl Maps is not exactly new, but this old dog hasn't learned that trick yet.  Maybe this is a good time ....

brianreynolds

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 27, 2012, 03:30:42 PM
No offense, but could you perchance edit that to put blank lines between the paragraphs? It would make it a lot easier to read. To me it comes across like a huge jumble of text and it makes it hard to sort through it.

Point well taken.  Here 'tis (the road part,anuway), with adjustments.

Beginning at the state line Welcome Center on southbound I-75 near Jennings FL, then south along I-75 to exit 435, east along  I-10 to US-41 exit 301, the county road by-pass around the northeast side of Lake City, FL-100 to Starke, US-301 north to FL-228 (county 228?) northwest to I-10 (at exit 336) east to exit 356 I-295 south and east to Orange Park at the US-17 exit.  For this segment:  Total miles, 140; total time, 2 hours 35 minutes;  counties visited, Hamilton, Suwannee, Columbia, Union, Bradford, Clay, Duval, Baker, Nassau.

Continuing east on I-295, then south along I-95 to FL-207, southwest to FL-100, southeast to US-1 to I-95 to I-4 southwest to FL-46 west to Mt. Pleasant.   For this segment:  Total miles, 152; total time, 2 hours 43 minutes;  counties visited, St. Johns, Putnam, Flagler, Volusia, Seminole, Lake.

South on county 435, then east and south on FL-436, then east on FL-50, southeast on FL-520, south on Deer Park Road  (419), east on US-192 to I-95 (exit 180), south to FL-76 (exit 101). southwest to FL-710 and Indiantown.  For this segment:  Total miles, 179; total time, 3 hours 33 minutes;  counties visited, Orange, Osceola, Brevard, Indian River, St. Lucie, Martin.

Fl-710 northwest and FL-70 west to Brighton, 721 and FL-78 south to US-27 south to FL-997 south to US-41 west to the Shark Valley Visitor Center at Everglades National Park.  For this segment:  Total miles, 193; total time, 3 hours 48 minutes;  counties visited, Okeechobee, Highlands, Glades, Hendry, Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade.

Totals thus far:  travel time, 12 hours 40 minutes, 665 miles, probably more than an ambitious winter day of travel.

Just west of the Shark Valley Visitor Center, US-41 angles to the northwest, a local road continues west and reconnects with US-41 about 20 miles to the west.  I am undecided about which to choose, but the time/mileage figures represent the safer/saner US-41 option.   US-41 west to FL-951 north to I-75 (at exit 101) north to FL-769 (exit 170).  FL=769 and FL-761 north to FL=72 west to Sugar Bowl Road north to FL-70 to Myakka City.     For this segment:  Total miles, 178; total time, 3 hours 13 minutes;  counties visited, (probably) Monroe, Collier, Lee, Charlotte, De Soto, Sarasota, Manatee

From there north on Wauchula Road, east on FL-64 to US-17.  North on US-17 to Bartow, then US-98 to Lakeland.  I could save time and miles by bypassing town, but I want to see Joker Marchant Stadium.  I am a lifelong Detroit Tigers fan, and as long as I can remember the Tigers have held spring training here.  This stop is a (poorly timed, season-wise) pilgrimage of sorts.  Then I-4 west to FL-589 to FL-60 to US-19 north to FL-50 east to to US-41 north to Inverness.  For this segment:  Total miles, 194; total time, 4 hours 19 minutes;  counties visited, Hardee, Polk, Hillsborough, Pinellas, Pasco, Hernando, Citrus.

From Inverness, north on US-41 to Newberry, then west on FL-26 to US-19 (among others) north to FL-51 north a mile or so to Southwest L. A. Bennett Road, then west a mile or so to US-19 northwest to Capps.  For this segment:  Total miles, 163; total time, 3 hours 11 minutes;  counties visited, Marion, Levy, Alachua, Gilchrist, Dixie, Lafayette, Taylor, Madison, Jefferson.

Subtotal since Shark Valley:  travel time, 10 hours 45 minutes, 535 miles, a good place to end a productive day.   Totals thus far:  travel time, 23 hours 25 minutes, 1200 miles, probably more than an ambitious winter day of travel.

From Capps, US-19 a short jump to I-10 at exit 225, then west to exit 209, US-90 west and US-319 south to FL-267 west to FL-20 west to the Ochlockonee River.  A short distance west of the river, it is not clear whether FL-20 enters Gadsden County or not.  No problem, the ambiguity can be resolved with a short (less than a mile) trip north on FL-267, then local roads northwest a mile or so, then south a mile or so back to FL-20.  This short (less than three miles) detour crosses the Liberty-Gadsden line at least four times.  Then FL-20 west to Hosford, FL-65 south to US-98, then west to Port St. Joe.  Then FL-71 and FL-73 north to Clarksville.  FL-20 west and US-231 north to I-10 at exit 130.   I-10 west to exit 56, FL-85 north and US-90 west to FL-4.  West on FL-4 to US-29, then a very short hop north to the Alabama state line near Flomaton.

For this segment:  Total miles, 370; total time, 7 hours 26 minutes;  counties visited, Leon, Wakulla, Liberty, Gadsden, Franklin, Gulf, Calhoun, Bay, Jackson, Washington, Holmes, Walton, Okaloosa, Santa Rosa, Escambia.

Total for the whole circuit, state line to state line: about 1570 miles, just under 31 hours of travel time.

brianreynolds

Quote from: roadman65 on November 27, 2012, 03:36:04 PM
I think you left out the route into Nassau County, FL?  You took I-10 east to I-295 south is bypassing it as Nassau is north of Jax.

Thanks for the thorough inspection.  I consulted two maps (Google, Mapquest) both of which indicated that a half-mile or so of I-10 clips the southernmost corner of Nassau.  That is the purpose of the FL-228 segment, to reconnect with I-10 in the right place.

Having said that, I know that these maps are not the final word.  Does anyone know for sure if I-10 truly does nip the corner?

dfilpus

There is a sign on I 10 westbound saying "Entering Nassau County".

brianreynolds

^^^

http://tinyurl.com/cgem9kx

OK, I fooled around with Google Maps for quite a while, and found that there is an (apparently) undefined limit to the number of waypoints and/or route tweaks.

After a half-dozen trials and errors, here is 90% of the proposed loop in Google Map form.

The other 10% will have to wait for another day.

again http://tinyurl.com/cgem9kx

--
Brian Reynolds
Hastings Michigan

brianreynolds

Quote from: brianreynolds on November 28, 2012, 11:43:33 PM
^^^

Oops.  It looks like it kicked out my routing around Orlando.  Please disregard.  I will work on a comprehensive two-stage Google Maps rendering tomorrow.

--
Brian Reynolds
Hastings Michigan

--
Brian Reynolds
Hastings Michigan

realjd

Quote from: brianreynolds on November 28, 2012, 11:43:33 PM
^^^

http://tinyurl.com/cgem9kx

OK, I fooled around with Google Maps for quite a while, and found that there is an (apparently) undefined limit to the number of waypoints and/or route tweaks.

After a half-dozen trials and errors, here is 90% of the proposed loop in Google Map form.

The other 10% will have to wait for another day.

again http://tinyurl.com/cgem9kx

--
Brian Reynolds
Hastings Michigan

Thanks! That's quite a trip, and it helps to visualize it like that. I look forward to seeing your routing through Orlando.

NE2

Quote from: brianreynolds on November 27, 2012, 08:02:33 AM
South on county 435, then east and south on FL-436, then east on FL-50, southeast on FL-520, south on Deer Park Road  (419), east on US-192 to I-95 (exit 180),
436 and 50 are typical sprawl. If you're opposed to using toll roads, I'd recommend Ocoee Apopka Road (turn off CR 435 at 9th Street), SR 438 west to Winter Garden, Dillard Street (*not signed as SR 537 anymore*), CR 535, and SR 535 towards Kissimmee, and then US 192 isn't too bad there. You can take a short detour to drive through Disney.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

brianreynolds

Quote from: NE2 on November 29, 2012, 05:33:25 PM
South on county 435, then east and south on FL-436, then east on FL-50, southeast on FL-520, south on Deer Park Road  (419), east on US-192 to I-95 (exit 180),
436 and 50 are typical sprawl. If you're opposed to using toll roads, I'd recommend Ocoee Apopka Road (turn off CR 435 at 9th Street), SR 438 west to Winter Garden, Dillard Street (*not signed as SR 537 anymore*), CR 535, and SR 535 towards Kissimmee, and then US 192 isn't too bad there. You can take a short detour to drive through Disney.

Thanks for the advice.  This is exactly what I was hoping for.

I'm pretty sure I know the terrain that you describe as "urban sprawl".  I suspect that it is a lot like the suburban and rural sprawl I have encountered in other places.

There have been lots of times that I have traveled a US highway (or former US highway displaced by the Interstate Highway) hoping for a measure of the highway of yesteryear.  When the outskirts of EVERY town include a Wal-Mart, a K-Mart, the same six franchise food joints, and the same three auto part chains, the illusion is overpowered by the reality.

That's not the experience I'm looking for, but if I have to choose between sprawl and tolls, I will usually take the sprawl.  Where the sprawl is big, and the corresponding tolls are small, I can be persuaded. 

That's where I rely on local knowledge to sort it out.  I ask for advice.  I pay attention to the replies.

--
Brian Reynolds
Hastings Michigan

NE2

Quote from: brianreynolds on November 30, 2012, 12:05:43 AM
Quote from: NE2 on November 29, 2012, 05:33:25 PM

Thanks for the advice.  This is exactly what I was hoping for.

I'm pretty sure I know the terrain that you describe as "urban sprawl".  I suspect that it is a lot like the suburban and rural sprawl I have encountered in other places.

There have been lots of times that I have traveled a US highway (or former US highway displaced by the Interstate Highway) hoping for a measure of the highway of yesteryear.  When the outskirts of EVERY town include a Wal-Mart, a K-Mart, the same six franchise food joints, and the same three auto part chains, the illusion is overpowered by the reality.
436 is your stereotypical old bypass (1960s?) which all the malls and big boxes moved to. It's pretty bad for making time.

435 and Ocoee-Apopka (partly signed as 437A and 437) are mostly good quality two-lane rural roads, with some residential sprawl. 535 is a four-lane suburbanizing but still partly rural road with more residential sprawl. All three move relatively quickly but don't provide too much in the way of interesting scenery. If you want that, try CR 455 on the west side of Lake Apopka.

192 is a mix of retail and tourist sprawl, but without too many lights. If you're going during peak tourist season, I'd recommend turning left from 535 onto the Osceola Parkway (toll about $2) and taking Boggy Creek and Narcoossee Roads around East Lake Toho.

If you like 'quaint'-looking downtowns, continue west on 438 past Dillard Street through Winter Garden.

I really can't think of much of the 'highway of yesteryear' here. There may be some on 192 east of St. Cloud and 441 northwest of Apopka.

US-41 west to FL-951 north to I-75 (at exit 101) north to FL-769 (exit 170).  FL=769 and FL-761 north
This is all CR 769; CR 761 ends at their junction.

Then I-4 west to FL-589 to FL-60 to US-19 north to FL-50 east
SR 589 begins at 60; the exit from I-4 is directly onto 60.

US 19 is a whole bunch of retail sprawl. If you prefer residential sprawl, turn right from 60 onto CR 611 (the interchange after the causeway), then curve around to the east onto Mitchell Boulevard and left on CR 1 (Little Road) all the way to US 19 north of Hudson. Or you can make your way east to US 41, which is probably more interesting but perhaps a bit slower.

From Inverness, north on US-41 to Newberry, then west on FL-26 to US-19 (among others) north to FL-51 north a mile or so to Southwest L. A. Bennett Road, then west a mile or so to US-19 northwest to Capps.
I can't find L.A. Bennett (is it what Google calls South Canal?) but everything in there is unpaved. If you want to stick to paved roads, you'll probably have to go somewhat out of your way to pass through Lafayette County without U-turning.

From Capps, US-19 a short jump to I-10 at exit 225, then west to exit 209, US-90 west and US-319 south to FL-267 west to FL-20 west to the Ochlockonee River.  A short distance west of the river, it is not clear whether FL-20 enters Gadsden County or not.  No problem, the ambiguity can be resolved with a short (less than a mile) trip north on FL-267, then local roads northwest a mile or so, then south a mile or so back to FL-20.  This short (less than three miles) detour crosses the Liberty-Gadsden line at least four times.
These 'local roads' are unpaved and most likely private.

One possible routing here is to stay on I-10 to 267 at Quincy, then go down along the Ochlockonee River (CR 375 to the east or CR 67 to the west; note that the crossing on FH 13 is paved) to US 98. This also avoids the sprawl of Tallahassee.

It's also worth noting that some of the routes you list are county roads. They're former state roads and generally good quality, with signage about the same except for the shield.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

realjd

Quote from: NE2 on November 30, 2012, 01:11:36 AM
I really can't think of much of the 'highway of yesteryear' here. There may be some on 192 east of St. Cloud and 441 northwest of Apopka.

US192 east of St. Cloud lost much of its "highway of yesteryear" style when the widened it to four lanes.

The best "highway of yesteryear" spots that I can think of would be Holopaw and Yeehaw Junction. I'd recommend taking US441 south from US192, then take SR60 east to I95. I liked your original suggestion of taking Deer Park Road also. It goes through cattle ranches and citrus groves and is a nice drive.

Of course if you take 441, you'd have to find another way to get to Brevard County. Going east on SR50 to I-95, then south to SR-520, then 520 west to Deer Park Road may be a good example. The town of Christmas on SR-50 still has some of that old Florida charm as well.

brianreynolds

I have adjusted and refined the route through Florida, using some of the advice.  The biggest changes are in the Orlando and Tallahassee areas.  I eliminated most of the local road segments.  I may have missed Sumpter County with the original route.  Here it is in three bite-sized segments.

Segment No. 1, Jennings FL to South Bay FL, via Madison, Hamilton, Suwannee, Columbia, Union, Bradford, Clay, Duval, Baker, Nassau., St. Johns, Putnam, Flagler, Volusia, Seminole, Lake, Orange, Osceola, Brevard, Indian River, St. Lucie, Martin, Okeechobee, Highlands, Glades, Hendry, Palm Beach.  http://goo.gl/maps/lWKNL  27 counties, 580 miles, 11 hours 22 mins

Segment No. 2, South Bay FL to Newberry FL, via Broward, Miami-Dade, Monroe, Collier, Lee, Charlotte, De Soto, Sarasota, Manatee, Hardee, Polk, Hillsborough, Pinellas, Pasco, Hernando, Sumpter, Citrus, Marion, Levy, Alachua.  http://goo.gl/maps/PmAFD  20 counties, 535 mi, 10 hours 24 mins

Segment No. 3, Newberry FL to Flomaton AL, via Gilchrist, Dixie, Lafayette, Taylor,  Jefferson,  Wakulla, Leon, Gadsden, Liberty, Franklin, Gulf, Calhoun, Bay, Jackson, Washington, Holmes, Walton, Okaloosa, Santa Rosa, Escambia.  http://goo.gl/maps/valiM   20 counties,  507 mi, 10 hours 2 mins

A bit under 32 hours, 1622 miles according to Google.

--
Brian Reynolds
Hastings Michigan

NE2

Ah, SR 37 across the Polk-Hillsborough-Manatee-Hardee quadpoint. No, I don't know if it actually passes through Hardee, Hillsborough, or both (FDOT only inventories it as being in Manatee and Polk).

What's with the detour through Bartow?

hbelkins

Any plans to plug some of your Kentucky holes on the way down or back?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mstgator

Quote from: NE2 on November 30, 2012, 01:11:36 AM
Then I-4 west to FL-589 to FL-60 to US-19 north to FL-50 east
SR 589 begins at 60; the exit from I-4 is directly onto 60.

To be technically accurate, I-4 feeds into I-275, from which FL-60 is a direct exit (unless we're taking the "highway of yesteryear" metaphor to a fuller extent).  Avoid this during rush hour unless you have plenty of time to spare (the roadwork that just got under way on I-275 west of downtown makes for messy traffic; the same goes for FL-60 approaching the construction on US 19 during pm rush).

NE2

allniter89

Hi Brian,
I live near Crestview in the western Florida panhandle, the area you will visit last on your trip.
I have a couple of suggestions, my choice would be to avoid exit 56 off I 10. We've had an air force squadron transfer to the area recently that has changed exit 56 (FL 85) into a very busy, slow moving highway with non stop commercial development. Most residents view the posted 45mph speed limit as a joke, you'll be lucky to do 30mph between traffic lights, and besides there is nothing to see on 85.
One suggestion is to take exit 85 and visit historic DeFuniak Springs ("D-few-knee-ack").
DFS is the home of one of only two naturally round lakes in the world, Lake DeFuniak. The lake is easy to find, located in town and is surrounded by approx 20 old antebellum homes. The Christmas decorations around the lake are spectacular and worth a look imo. Directions to the lake are I 10 exit 85, follow US 331 north to "T" intersection with US 90, turn right, go a few blocks to 6th St, turn rite to Circle Dr, you can go either way on Circle then return to 6th back to US 90, turn left.
(A) Are either interested in visiting the highest point of elevation in Florida? (B) Can you both bear great heights with thin oxygen levels? (C) Scared of heights? Why not visit Britton Hill, the highest natural point in FL http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britton_Hill  @ 345', no I didnt leave out any digits or commas, its 345'  :-D
Its about 30 miles north of DeFuniak Springs, also easy to find. From 6th St & US 90 go west 2.4 miles to US 331 NORTH (the 1st 331 jct on US 90 is US 331 SOUTH, continue west on 90 to the next lite(?) for US 331 NORTH) turn right on 331 north and go 18 miles to Walton County Road 285 (this will be a road sign with dark blue background), you will probably see a green info sign re: Lakewood, highest point in FL. You will turn right on hwy 285, follow the signs. Warning, there is nothing there except a stone monument. FYI, the Alabama state line is only a couple miles away if you want to clinch any Alabama counties. I think Covington co is just across the line.
Now we can take a different route to get you back to your original clinching county route (US 90 in Crestview, FL), because I hate to take the same route going somewhere and coming back, if you prefer you can go back 331 south to 90 but my route is quicker and shorter. Go back to US 331 &  hwy 285, go south on 331 for 3.8 miles to Walton County hwy 2 (dark blue background hwy sign), turn right on 2 then only 3/10 (3 tenths of a mile) to Walton County hwys 2 & 1087, turn left. Follow 1087 to its end at US 90, turn right. Hungry? After you turn right on 90, go a quarter mile, see a Chevron gas station on right, just before it is the "Cookin Good" restaurant ( a dumpy looking wood building). Great BBQ and most everything else. It is very small so you might not get a seat, you could get "take out", there is a park nearby with picnic tables, leave restaurant go west a mile or so, see fire station on right, turn right go past fire station to park. Then back to 90 and go west thru Crestview (90 in town is a easy ride, no traffic, 4-5 lights) and pickup your original route at 90 & FL 4.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

brianreynolds

What's with the detour through Bartow?
[/quote]

For no good reason whatsoever.  I attribute it to equal parts of sloppy routing by Google and lack of attention by me.  The lack of attention part I attribute to the lingering effects of childhood ADD which I had before it had a name.  So, you see, I am free of any real blame here.  I am just a victim of circumstance and Google.  I do intend to visit Lakeland for the purpose of visiting Tigertown, the spring training home of the Detroit Tigers.  But all of that can be accomplished more directly by way of Ona (CR 663 and FL-37).

brianreynolds

Quote from: hbelkins on December 01, 2012, 01:42:36 PM
Any plans to plug some of your Kentucky holes on the way down or back?

Yeah, H. B., I will almost certainly pick up Jessamine County.  Maybe some others, as time allows.

I'm looking at the possibility of US-27 south from McCreary County, get another five or so in Tennessee.

The route back will probably be closer to I-65.  I'll have to see what my time constraints will allow.

--
Brian Reynolds
Hastings Michigan

brianreynolds

Quote from: allniter89 on December 01, 2012, 09:41:48 PM
Hi Brian,
I live near Crestview in the western Florida panhandle, the area you will visit last on your trip.
I have a couple of suggestions, my choice would be to avoid exit 56 off I 10. We've had an air force squadron transfer to the area recently that has changed exit 56 (FL 85) into a very busy, slow moving highway with non stop commercial development. Most residents view the posted 45mph speed limit as a joke, you'll be lucky to do 30mph between traffic lights, and besides there is nothing to see on 85.
One suggestion is to take exit 85 and visit historic DeFuniak Springs ("D-few-knee-ack").
DFS is the home of one of only two naturally round lakes in the world, Lake DeFuniak. The lake is easy to find, located in town and is surrounded by approx 20 old antebellum homes. The Christmas decorations around the lake are spectacular and worth a look imo. Directions to the lake are I 10 exit 85, follow US 331 north to "T" intersection with US 90, turn right, go a few blocks to 6th St, turn rite to Circle Dr, you can go either way on Circle then return to 6th back to US 90, turn left.
(A) Are either interested in visiting the highest point of elevation in Florida? (B) Can you both bear great heights with thin oxygen levels? (C) Scared of heights? Why not visit Britton Hill, the highest natural point in FL http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britton_Hill  @ 345', no I didnt leave out any digits or commas, its 345'  :-D
Its about 30 miles north of DeFuniak Springs, also easy to find. From 6th St & US 90 go west 2.4 miles to US 331 NORTH (the 1st 331 jct on US 90 is US 331 SOUTH, continue west on 90 to the next lite(?) for US 331 NORTH) turn right on 331 north and go 18 miles to Walton County Road 285 (this will be a road sign with dark blue background), you will probably see a green info sign re: Lakewood, highest point in FL. You will turn right on hwy 285, follow the signs. Warning, there is nothing there except a stone monument. FYI, the Alabama state line is only a couple miles away if you want to clinch any Alabama counties. I think Covington co is just across the line.
Now we can take a different route to get you back to your original clinching county route (US 90 in Crestview, FL), because I hate to take the same route going somewhere and coming back, if you prefer you can go back 331 south to 90 but my route is quicker and shorter. Go back to US 331 &  hwy 285, go south on 331 for 3.8 miles to Walton County hwy 2 (dark blue background hwy sign), turn right on 2 then only 3/10 (3 tenths of a mile) to Walton County hwys 2 & 1087, turn left. Follow 1087 to its end at US 90, turn right. Hungry? After you turn right on 90, go a quarter mile, see a Chevron gas station on right, just before it is the "Cookin Good" restaurant ( a dumpy looking wood building). Great BBQ and most everything else. It is very small so you might not get a seat, you could get "take out", there is a park nearby with picnic tables, leave restaurant go west a mile or so, see fire station on right, turn right go past fire station to park. Then back to 90 and go west thru Crestview (90 in town is a easy ride, no traffic, 4-5 lights) and pickup your original route at 90 & FL 4.

All good suggestions.  Thank you.  I will use as many as time and daylight allow.

--
Brian Reynolds
Hastings Michigan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.