News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Alps' Roads UPDATE!

Started by Alps, August 29, 2009, 04:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: Roadmaestro95 on January 02, 2015, 09:46:20 PM
I have a whole ton of new photos for you Steve if you want to grab em from me. I got an ancient one from Fort Niagara State Park that you would probably like within them!
I might have that one. On another note, I think I should probably stop asking for submissions if I'm so far behind.

Roadmaestro95

Well if you want them you just gotta ask!
Hope everyone is safe!

jakeroot

Quote from: Alps on January 04, 2015, 02:16:43 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on January 02, 2015, 02:26:08 AM
Did you ever upload any photos from out meet back in October?

I'm still running through 2012. Australia comes next. Our meet is on the back end of the update after that - figure 2016.

Alps

Quote from: jakeroot on January 04, 2015, 02:25:46 AM

I'm still running through 2012. Australia comes next. Our meet is on the back end of the update after that - figure 2016.

You wanna pay someone to edit my photos?

Then I don't wanna hear it.

jakeroot

Quote from: Alps on January 05, 2015, 07:58:05 PM

Jokes aside, what goes into the editing? I fancy myself a bit of a Photoshop maven; I'd be happy to help if you're looking for it.

Alps

Quote from: jakeroot on January 06, 2015, 01:24:45 AM
Quote from: Alps on January 05, 2015, 07:58:05 PM

Jokes aside, what goes into the editing? I fancy myself a bit of a Photoshop maven; I'd be happy to help if you're looking for it.
Cropping and writing. Most of my delays are activation energy trying to get started.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Alps on January 11, 2015, 12:13:42 PM
Cropping and writing. Most of my delays are activation energy trying to get started.
yup - that sounds familiar.  Work getting to you.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

D-Dey65

Steve, I was just checking out your page on US 13 south of Philadelphia, and you claim your coverage of the Crum Creek Keystone made either Pennsylvania, Delaware County, or  Woodlyn replace it.

http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/pa/us_13/s.html

If they did it because of you, that's great. I just wish that PennDOT or Philadelphia would replace the one in Angora back in 2013.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Philadelphia;_Broken_Historical_Marker_in_Angora.JPG

Brandon

Steve, just a correction for the Illinois page and the Joliet Road Meet; it's Drauden Road (you have Drauden/Dryden).

The structure you took a photo of a Lake Renwick is part of a rookery.  It was built to provide nesting areas in the middle of the lake (former quarry).

The signals at the Cass Street and Jefferson Street bridges are meant for when traffic is temporarily diverted for work on the other bridge.  They have been one-way since the 1950s/1960s, and used to feature the STOP-type signals found in Chicago.  The modern traffic-light ones were installed in the late 1980s.

The Arsenal Road interchange was rebuilt due to the massive intermodal yards nearby.  These yards have substantially increased the volume of trucks at the interchange.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on January 19, 2015, 05:15:09 PM
Steve, just a correction for the Illinois page and the Joliet Road Meet; it's Drauden Road (you have Drauden/Dryden).

The structure you took a photo of a Lake Renwick is part of a rookery.  It was built to provide nesting areas in the middle of the lake (former quarry).

The signals at the Cass Street and Jefferson Street bridges are meant for when traffic is temporarily diverted for work on the other bridge.  They have been one-way since the 1950s/1960s, and used to feature the STOP-type signals found in Chicago.  The modern traffic-light ones were installed in the late 1980s.

The Arsenal Road interchange was rebuilt due to the massive intermodal yards nearby.  These yards have substantially increased the volume of trucks at the interchange.
Thanks for all of these, updating as we speak.

Zeffy

Hey Steve, just an FYI, I noticed there were some broken images on this page:

http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/de/de_5/

It also looks like the bottom image is incorrect, because unless I'm oblivious, there aren't any shields in that photo (which is the same as the one on the top of the page).
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alps

Quote from: Zeffy on January 24, 2015, 11:11:21 AM
Hey Steve, just an FYI, I noticed there were some broken images on this page:

http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/de/de_5/

It also looks like the bottom image is incorrect, because unless I'm oblivious, there aren't any shields in that photo (which is the same as the one on the top of the page).
Forgot to upload the new Index file. Fixed.

hbelkins

Darn you, Steve Alpert, I fell into the trap that is your site last night when someone posted links to pictures when comparing the CT and WV state route markers. About an hour later, I wandered out.

http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/wv/us_52/

The city that used to be displayed in button copy but was replaced with Ironton was Chesapeake, Oh. I have some photos with that city included before it was changed. Signage was the same, and also changed, on I-64.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Zeffy

Quote from: hbelkins on January 24, 2015, 07:39:58 PM
Darn you, Steve Alpert, I fell into the trap that is your site last night when someone posted links to pictures when comparing the CT and WV state route markers. About an hour later, I wandered out.

I fell into that trap two times today. But hey, it passes time, so...

Also Steve, on your Rhode Island overview page, the link for RI/MA 152 leads to a 404 error.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alps

Quote from: Zeffy on January 24, 2015, 11:02:33 PM

I fell into that trap two times today. But hey, it passes time, so...

Also Steve, on your Rhode Island overview page, the link for RI/MA 152 leads to a 404 error.
That's cause there's no RI 152 page.

http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/wv/us_52/

The city that used to be displayed in button copy but was replaced with Ironton was Chesapeake, Oh. I have some photos with that city included before it was changed. Signage was the same, and also changed, on I-64.
Thank you!

Alps

I was originally heading toward beginning of February with this update, then life happened (as some of you are aware). The last 10% took six whole months to get through, but FINALLY, here we are.

http://www.alpsroads.net/www

Non-Roads NY. Chock full of hundreds of photos from across the state and within the City, featuring the High Line.

Alps

My next non-roads update had a bridge in it, so I turned it into a BONUS roads update! It's the only one you're getting in 2015, so enjoy.

http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/in/14th

Alps

I totally forgot to post my last Non-Roads update here. Well, now I have another one tonight (oh well, snuck past midnight, so "this morning"), so you may as well just look at both of them. http://www.alpsroads.net/www
One more to go, and THEN AUSTRALIA! It's finally looming!

Alps

The last photos from the United States going up on my website for quite some time - certainly 2016 - are here on Non-Roads. The latest update is all things New England. Check it out.

D-Dey65

New tip; I was checking out your NY 117 page, and your link to the Saw Mill River Parkway goes to the Sunken Meadow State Parkway.

Alps

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 02, 2017, 07:08:07 PM
New tip; I was checking out your NY 117 page, and your link to the Saw Mill River Parkway goes to the Sunken Meadow State Parkway.

Got it. Fixed.

Alps

NEW UPDATE!!
NEW ZEALAND!!

Well over 1500 roads and North Island non-roads photos have been added, giving me a new country and finally restarting the website after years of life getting in the way. South Island non-roads will be next! I don't think anyone else has a NZ roads site yet, so enjoy! Comments, corrections, etc., whatever, always welcome.

~ http://www.alpsroads.net/roads

Alps

Quote from: Alps on March 04, 2019, 12:01:49 AM
NEW UPDATE!!
NEW ZEALAND!!

Well over 1500 roads and North Island non-roads photos have been added, giving me a new country and finally restarting the website after years of life getting in the way. South Island non-roads will be next! I don't think anyone else has a NZ roads site yet, so enjoy! Comments, corrections, etc., whatever, always welcome.

~ http://www.alpsroads.net/roads
First installment of NZ Non-Roads has been added. Just working on NZ 6, which alone has more photos than the rest of the South Island combined...
https://www.alpsroads.net/www

Alps

Today is a very personal day for me, and not just because it's my birthday. My last regular website update was in August of 2016. I was in the middle of reconnecting with my ex, soon to become girlfriend again, then to become ex again. A lot was going on in my life. Before that, my last regular update was January of 2015, which is right before I'd met her the first time. It makes sense that I wasn't as active on the website when I was with her. But then we broke up as I moved into my new house. That was 2017. New Zealand Roads debuted in March of 2019 along with the first installment of Non-Roads. The second installment of Non-Roads was last month. There were a lot of negative emotions in that time, a lot of kicking myself and trying to get myself to work on my website, but my heart wasn't in it. With every month, every year, I felt my backlog grow as I got farther behind with my website. I would joke about photos I took in 2018 being ready for the website in 2025, but the truth was, I felt like it would never happen. I considered taking it down or just leaving it up in perpetuity and paying for it but never touching it again.
Today, I'm in a much better place. The first NZ upload helped, but only this year have I finally felt emotionally in the right place to get back into things. My hope is that as I progress into Australia, I can keep the updates on a more regular basis and rekindle the joy that this brings me. It's in there, but I have to be happy enough to find it. I would be thrilled with the birthday present of seeing the finality of my New Zealand pages in their painstaking glory:

https://www.alpsroads.net/www (latest update toward bottom)

If you read this whole thing, thank you, and I look forward to being a better Alps' Roads for you, my faithful viewers.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: Alps on February 10, 2020, 11:13:44 PM
Today is a very personal day for me, and not just because it's my birthday. My last regular website update was in August of 2016. I was in the middle of reconnecting with my ex, soon to become girlfriend again, then to become ex again. A lot was going on in my life. Before that, my last regular update was January of 2015, which is right before I'd met her the first time. It makes sense that I wasn't as active on the website when I was with her. But then we broke up as I moved into my new house. That was 2017. New Zealand Roads debuted in March of 2019 along with the first installment of Non-Roads. The second installment of Non-Roads was last month. There were a lot of negative emotions in that time, a lot of kicking myself and trying to get myself to work on my website, but my heart wasn't in it. With every month, every year, I felt my backlog grow as I got farther behind with my website. I would joke about photos I took in 2018 being ready for the website in 2025, but the truth was, I felt like it would never happen. I considered taking it down or just leaving it up in perpetuity and paying for it but never touching it again.
Today, I'm in a much better place. The first NZ upload helped, but only this year have I finally felt emotionally in the right place to get back into things. My hope is that as I progress into Australia, I can keep the updates on a more regular basis and rekindle the joy that this brings me. It's in there, but I have to be happy enough to find it. I would be thrilled with the birthday present of seeing the finality of my New Zealand pages in their painstaking glory:

https://www.alpsroads.net/www (latest update toward bottom)

If you read this whole thing, thank you, and I look forward to being a better Alps' Roads for you, my faithful viewers.

Wow. It looks so beautiful. Now I want to clinch Highway 6!
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.