News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 91 Signing Work

Started by roadman, April 05, 2012, 02:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadyjay

Quote from: roadman on June 18, 2014, 11:14:27 AM
Have they installed the new diagrammatic signs on I-91 northbound in advance of I-391 yet?

Yup, if you click the link at the top of my last post, you'll see two advance diagrammatics for I-391, for 1 mile and 1/2 mile.  The 2 mile has not been replaced yet since its on the viaduct portion at I-291. 

roadman

Quote from: shadyjay on June 18, 2014, 04:24:56 PM
Quote from: roadman on June 18, 2014, 11:14:27 AM
Have they installed the new diagrammatic signs on I-91 northbound in advance of I-391 yet?
Yup, if you click the link at the top of my last post, you'll see two advance diagrammatics for I-391, for 1 mile and 1/2 mile.  The 2 mile has not been replaced yet since its on the viaduct portion at I-291. 

Thanks.  Didn't notice the link at first - have revised my previous post.  And I now agree, this project does appear to be substantially complete - except for the signs and structures on the viaduct, which will now be installed as part of the rehab work.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

shadyjay

Now if it was CT, the signs would be installed on the present roadway/structure, then replaced again when the viaduct is rebuilt/replaced/whatever. 

But wait... maybe not.  The last time CDOT tried to hold off on replacing signs thinking a construction project was right on the heels of the signage contracts, the project was aborted, and the older signs remain.  (Merritt Parkway in CT, Exits 39-40).

shadyjay

Just came back from a weekend in CT, taking I-91 in its entirety through Mass.  No changes that I noticed since my last trip through there in June.  Also, no evidence of any work yet on the West Springfield to Bernardston project.  I looked and didn't notice any orange reference markers where BGSs would be installed.  Guess its still too early in the project.

In other I-91 news.... the Deerfield River project (between Exits 25 and 26) is curious.  It looks like they've built a new 2-lane bridge directly adjacent to the NB lanes (NB/SB are separated by a wide variable median through here).  Temporary crossovers show that the first move will be routing SB traffic onto the new bridge.  But what is curious is that the new bridge constructed looks pretty permanent.  Is this going to be the new NB bridge, and the old NB bridge done away with?  The location of the new bridge, abutting against the NB lanes of the existing bridge, leads me to believe this.  No drastic lane shifts would be required to permanently reroute NB traffic over this new bridge.

Endless Holyoke bridge repairs are continuing, this time between Exits 14 and 17, complete with a work zone in the middle and the two or three lanes shifting around it.  Also the NB bridge at Exit 18 is being worked on as well.  No work SB at this location.  It seems like it took 5+ years to repair the bridges between Exits 17 & 18 (the Mt Tom "no exit zone).   Hopefully this new work won't take as long.

Not much else to report.

roadman

@shadyjay  As the contractor has only recently been given notice to proceed on the West Springfield to Bernardston job, they need to submit sign face and structural drawings for the BGS signs and support structures.  So, I wouldn't expect to see any major work on this project beginning until about mid-Fall of this year.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

shadyjay

Quote from: roadman on July 21, 2014, 09:20:56 AM
@shadyjay  As the contractor has only recently been given notice to proceed on the West Springfield to Bernardston job, they need to submit sign face and structural drawings for the BGS signs and support structures.  So, I wouldn't expect to see any major work on this project beginning until about mid-Fall of this year.

Figured something like that but wasn't sure.  Have to keep my eyes open just in case...

southshore720

Where does the Exit 14 connector to the MassPike fall in terms of the signing contracts?  Was it part of the Springfield contract, or will it be part of the next contract that goes up to the VT border?  I saw a few new signs on this stretch mixed in with the mid-90s vintage and was confused whether they were just spot replacements or scheduled replacements.

roadman

Quote from: southshore720 on October 13, 2014, 10:25:49 PM
Where does the Exit 14 connector to the MassPike fall in terms of the signing contracts?  Was it part of the Springfield contract, or will it be part of the next contract that goes up to the VT border?  I saw a few new signs on this stretch mixed in with the mid-90s vintage and was confused whether they were just spot replacements or scheduled replacements.
The overhead signs on the 'outbound' connector at the 'split' to I-91 north and I-91 south are to be replaced under the I-91 West Springfield to Bernardston contract.  Most of the remaining overhead and ground-mounted signs are being replaced as part of the current MassPike connector widening/safety improvement project.  The remaining signs at the US 5 end of the connector will be replaced as part of the West Stockbridge to Auburn I-90 sign replacement project scheduled to begin in 2015.

shadyjay

Update 4/21/2015:

Still no sign of any work on sign replacement from Bernardston down to West Springfield.  Though when I came through it was dark but didn't see any "little orange markers" for new overhead foundation locations, or anything else.

Exit 27-SB to MA 2 East is closed because they're working on the bridge carrying the ramp over I-91 NB.

Deerfield Bridge construction continues.  SB traffic continues to use the new NB bridge while the SB bridge is constructed.

The Holyoke bridge project "appears" to be substantially complete, at least SB.  No lane shifts.  There was some night work with lane closures taking place, but it looked more like an inspection type thing, vs an actual construction project.

I did notice one new assembly, the final assembly for the I-291 exit.  I had assumed this wasn't replaced because it was in the viaduct zone, but I guess that wasn't the case.  The new assembly features the Exit 8 (I-291) exit sign, plus two advance signs for Exit 7 (Hall of Fame Ave) and Exit 6 (Union St).  No pullthroughs for I-91 South on this sign... they appear on the previous assembly only.

I'll be heading back north on Friday in the daylight and will report on any changes.

shadyjay

Finally some news to report:

Various foundations for new overheads observed from Greenfield south to Northampton.  New guardrails also installed to shield the foundations from the edge of the roadway.  Some foundations complete, others still waiting for concrete to be poured.

No new signs in place yet.

shadyjay

Update 9/25:

Drove I-91 through Mass on Friday night.  Little to no additional progress on the signing project from Bernardston down to West Springfield.  It was dark so I couldn't tell if any more foundations had been poured.  No gantries up, at least SB.  It was dark so I couldn't tell NB.  Only new signs were in Northampton and Greenfield for the railroad stations there.  The signs are interesting... top had "EXIT ___", then the name of the railroad station (Greenfield Oliver Transp Center or Northampton Train Station), then a solid line, then "AMTRAK" then the exit number at the bottom.  I'm guessing the new mile-based exit number will be placed at the upper "EXIT____" line.  Not sure why they felt the need to put the present exit at the bottom...  seems to me a simple overlay for the upper "EXIT" would've sufficed.

Not sure if I'm returning on I-91 NB on Sunday... I may divert to return to VT via Worcester and Lowell so I can get shots of the new signage on I-395 in CT.  Depends what time I get on the road on Sunday.

SB I-91 Exit 20 has reopened - it was closed for bridge work.  Now MassDOT is working on the mainline bridges SB from Exit 20 down to Exit 18 in Northampton.

Viaduct work in Springfield has begun.  New speed limit signs up.  Crews had I-91 down to one lane when I came through.

Pete from Boston

Haven't been following this thread closely, but I just noticed a single (overhead) concrete sign footing in front of one of the ground-mounted advance guide signs for Exit 18 going northbound, a confirmation of the mention a couple of posts up FWIW.

shadyjay

Yup, nothing but new foundations SB.  I ended up returning from CT to VT via I-395-I-290-I-495-US3-Everett-I-89 instead on I-91 so I couldn't get any daytime updates this go-around, but got tons of photos, mostly in CT and NH.  (see link in signature below).  Not sure if I'm going to get a chance to get an update this year.  Also I found it strange on the MassDOT site, I couldn't find any listing whatsoever for this project so I can't check the status of it (ie- % completion).  It's still got a ways to go, regardless.  No new regulatory signs up yet.  Just the two signs for the new railroad stations in Northampton and Greenfield. 

bob7374

Quote from: shadyjay on October 06, 2015, 04:48:02 PM
Yup, nothing but new foundations SB.  I ended up returning from CT to VT via I-395-I-290-I-495-US3-Everett-I-89 instead on I-91 so I couldn't get any daytime updates this go-around, but got tons of photos, mostly in CT and NH.  (see link in signature below).  Not sure if I'm going to get a chance to get an update this year.  Also I found it strange on the MassDOT site, I couldn't find any listing whatsoever for this project so I can't check the status of it (ie- % completion).  It's still got a ways to go, regardless.  No new regulatory signs up yet.  Just the two signs for the new railroad stations in Northampton and Greenfield. 
I was able to find the project listing on the MassDOT site by looking up everything under construction in District 2. The entry says the project is only 2% complete. There's no date listed though for when the information was posted. Somehow, I think the indicated time of Spring 2016 for the end of the project is a little optimistic.

roadman

Quote from: bob7374 on October 06, 2015, 11:16:56 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on October 06, 2015, 04:48:02 PM
I was able to find the project listing on the MassDOT site by looking up everything under construction in District 2. The entry says the project is only 2% complete. There's no date listed though for when the information was posted. Somehow, I think the indicated time of Spring 2016 for the end of the project is a little optimistic.
The critical path item for a project like this one is installing the foundations for the overhead and larger ground-mount signs, which appears to be well underway and should be completed before the ground freezes.  Once that work is completed, installation of the actual support posts and structures, and hanging of signs, is not weather-dependent, provided we don't have another severe winter for snowfall (knocks wood).

shadyjay

Came south on I-91 this morning.  It appears all foundations to support the new overheads are in place.  No supports yet though. 

Also, the new SB Deerfield River Bridge is now open between Exits 25 & 26.  I'm assuming this switch happened pretty recently as the median was recently regarded where the crossovers were, and NB traffic is still using the old bridge.  MassDOT built the new NB bridge here, then shifted SB traffic to it while the SB bridge was replaced.  NB traffic will eventually use the new bridge once the approaches to it are paved.  Then I'm guessing MassDOT will demolish the old NB bridge.  Doing the project this way allowed MassDOT to maintain 2 lanes of traffic in each direction rather than resort to single-laning/rebuilding half at a time. 

The Springfield Viaduct project didn't cause me any delays, though it was the smoothest ride I've ever had on that stretch of road as its been partially repaved.   

shadyjay

Southbound drive today.  Still just foundations installed from Bernardston to Northampton.  NB traffic is now using the new Deerfield River bridge.  The original NB bridge is in the process of being removed.  Approach roadways are already removed.  A couple photos I took:

1/2 mile advance for Exit 26.  In front of the bridge on the right, you can see the base that will support the new overhead sign.

One of the newer signs for the Greenfield Amtrak station.  I'm not sure why the two "EXITS" (one blank one at top, one below Amtrak).  Northampton's signs are the same format/dual "exits".  No signs posted for the Holyoke Amtrak station yet, though that one opened this past August.

At Exit 8 in Springfield, the start of the viaduct project.  Exits 7 & 6 are closed and there is a temporary exit, signed as "EXITS 7 & 6" about 1/4 mile before this picture.  Also at this point, the left lane of I-91 SB is closed, forcing traffic to a single lane.  A 2nd lane comes back at the merge from Exit 8/I-291, with the far left lane closed. 

shadyjay

... and we finally have an update...

Drove south on 91 this morning through the project area (Bernardston-W. Springfield).  Wasn't sure what to expect, but once I saw the new parking area sign (which has PARKING and AREA stacked), I figured I better keep the camera handy.  I missed the shot of the new Massachusetts welcome sign.  In the southbound direction, from Bernardston down to Northampton, only new signs up are some of the former ground-based which are now overhead.  They are all mounted on heavy duty single poles.  No trusses or cantilevers.  And I didn't see any full-width gantries up yet southbound.  Also what is interesting is no regulatory or secondary signage has been replaced as of yet.  On previous projects, these are usually the first things to get replaced.  There have been some destination and route marker modifications.  For instance, Exit 20-SB which was signed "US 5/MA 9/MA 10" is now signed "SOUTH US 5/MA 10 TO MA 9", a much more accurate description.  MA 116 now appears on primary BGSs NB for Exit 24, as does Conway.  Some former full-width gantries are now single-laned gantries in Holyoke, with the second BGS relocated.  The new Exit 14 signage has the Mass Pike logo and the "TOLL ROAD" yellow highlight. 

What I did find interesting is new signs installed saying "NEXT EXIT ##" in areas where an exit doesn't appear in a particular direction but does in the other (such as in Hatfield and Northampton).  It seems pointless installing these considering I-91 will be going mile-based soon.  (maybe).

And, unfortunately, all new signs retain the old sequential numbering. 

Pics are up in the photostream of my FLICKR account, but I'll embed some in a post here as soon as I get them sorted into albums and such.  And I'll be posting more pics later in the week after I travel the NB stretch on Friday.

shadyjay

Photos are up.  Here's the direct link to the album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadyjay/albums/72157657084998544/with/26616379836/

Just click the images to see full size versions.  What is interesting is the signs look like they're transparent, as you can see the gantries behind the signs.  But they're not.  Guess that's just how my iphone took the shots.

KEVIN_224

The existing welcome sign at the state line southbound was exactly the same. However, on second inspection, I see that there is a new welcome sign which is almost identical:

I can say for certain that the sign right at Exit 28 southbound is definitely new and on one giant support pole. It's only signed as "MA 10 - Bernardston".

PurdueBill

Is the sign in the background the new one?  Yuck! Liked the older version with larger "Welcomes You" a lot better. 

shadyjay

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on May 29, 2016, 10:35:26 AM
I can say for certain that the sign right at Exit 28 southbound is definitely new and on one giant support pole. It's only signed as "MA 10 - Bernardston".

Hmmmm.... cause last month, it had Bernardston and Northfield on the SB signage:

91SB-Exit28 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

Northbound, Benardston and Northfield are split up since its a split interchange (A&B for MA 10 N and S)

mariethefoxy

there are still a lot of older style small tab signs on I-91 in Massachusetts north of Exit 14. I drove the entire length of I-91 this weekend in Massachusetts.

Plenty of ground mounted signs left, but you'll have exits where the 1 mile sign is old, the ½ mile sign is new, and the exit now (the one with the arrow) is old.

Also worth noting I-91 in CT north of Hartford still has plenty of button copy left.

shadyjay

Quote from: mariethefoxy on May 29, 2016, 05:32:13 PM
Also worth noting I-91 in CT north of Hartford still has plenty of button copy left.

Some of those signs were installed in the late 1980s.  Since that time, I-91 signage in Mass has been replaced twice... once in the early 1990s and again now or in the past 2 years.  I don't see any contracts on the horizon to replace I-91 CT signage in the next few years, so button copy will remain north of Hartford for the foreseeable future, except on random replacements.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: shadyjay on May 30, 2016, 07:32:07 PM
Quote from: mariethefoxy on May 29, 2016, 05:32:13 PM

Some of those signs were installed in the late 1980s.  Since that time, I-91 signage in Mass has been replaced twice... once in the early 1990s and again now or in the past 2 years.  I don't see any contracts on the horizon to replace I-91 CT signage in the next few years, so button copy will remain north of Hartford for the foreseeable future, except on random replacements.

It will all eventually be replaced as part of the statewide mileage-based exit renumbering project.  One gantry at the CT 20 interchange has already been replaced.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.