News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Funny-named towns

Started by golden eagle, June 10, 2010, 12:22:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: english si on August 13, 2013, 06:59:07 AM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 13, 2013, 06:05:21 AMLlanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, town in Wales, UK.
No - the village is called Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll, it is the station that has the ridiculously long name as a Victorian marketing gimmick.

Well, AFAIK the short form is signed, sometimes without spaces, but the official form is the long one.

And I forgot the true longest placename in the world, at least when pronounced. It is in my country and I've been to all of its neighborhoods, the last one fell in late July. Its name is Zaragozaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... (A load of a's here) ...aaaaa. This is perfect to couple with the Chinese province of Shaaaaaaaa... (Again, another ton of a's here) ...aaaaaanxi.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

english si

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 13, 2013, 01:01:20 PM
Quote from: english si on August 13, 2013, 06:59:07 AM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 13, 2013, 06:05:21 AMLlanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, town in Wales, UK.
No - the village is called Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll, it is the station that has the ridiculously long name as a Victorian marketing gimmick.
Well, AFAIK the short form is signed, sometimes without spaces, but the official form is the long one.
You knew wrong about the official form and I corrected the two common errors you made (including that it is a town).

The 'short form' is the official (and original) name. Only the station has the long name officially.

The actual short forms are "Llanfairpwll", "Llanfair PG" or just "Llanfair".

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 13, 2013, 06:05:21 AM
More profan locations:
Puta, Azerbaijan (Spanish for "slut")
Zorra, ON, Canada (Spanish for "bitch")
Shit, Iran
Poo, Spain

there's a town in Spain called Feces de Abajo, from what I can tell.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

CNGL-Leudimin

Oh, and I didn't posted the best one:
Obama, Japan. Yeah, it's true, google it.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

mUtcd33

We have a ton of them here in PA:

Virginville
Bird-In-Hand
Moon Township
Zelienople
Hokendauqua
Strong
Jim Thorpe
Peach Bottom

Molandfreak

Quote from: mUtcd33 on August 13, 2013, 08:34:26 PM
We have a ton of them here in PA:

Virginville
Bird-In-Hand
Moon Township
Zelienople
Hokendauqua
Strong
Jim Thorpe
Peach Bottom
King of Prussia
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

hotdogPi

Triangle, New York
Las Vegas, New Mexico
Ã..., Norway
Lion's Head, Ontario
Walla Walla, Washington
Grand Junction, Colorado (not really considered grand)
Anaconda, Montana
Jackpot, Nevada
Alliance, Nebraska
Penguin, Tasmania
Alanland, Delaware

Calvin, Oklahoma
Hobbs1, New Mexico

Brady, Texas
Bunch, Oklahoma

1 There is no town called "Hobbes".
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Molandfreak

DISH, Texas. (yes, you spell it with all caps).
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

DSS5

Surprised Weed, California hasn't been mentioned. It even has a Weed High School.

Another good one is Hell for Certain, Kentucky.

The NC Outer Banks is home to the towns of Duck and Kill Devil Hills.

Brian556

Flushing, NY
Fish Kill, NY
Krum, TX (some people think this is funny)
Fucking, England

DSS5

Quote from: Brian556 on August 14, 2013, 09:45:52 PM
Flushing, NY
Fish Kill, NY
Krum, TX (some people think this is funny)
Fucking, England
That reminds me of a story I read where PETA tried to get Fishkill to change it's name, even though it was actually just Dutch for "Fish Creek."

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

agentsteel53

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 14, 2013, 10:40:32 PM
Quote from: Brian556 on August 14, 2013, 09:45:52 PM
Fucking, England

okay, I'll bite.  where is this?

Maybe England took over Austria after WWIII.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vtk

Quote from: DSS5 on August 14, 2013, 09:24:17 PM
Surprised Weed, California hasn't been mentioned.

I thought it was. Did you read all 160+ posts and not see it?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

empirestate

Quote from: 1 on August 14, 2013, 05:40:32 PM
Grand Junction, Colorado (not really considered grand)

It was founded on the Grand River at its confluence with another river...what would you have named it?

english si

Quote from: NE2 on August 14, 2013, 11:14:15 PMMaybe England took over Austria after WWIII.
I read this as WWII.

And we did (well Britain did), along with the Commies, Frogs and the USA, dividing both Vienna and the country in the same way as we did Germany. We quickly released it back to the people (48?).

DSS5

Quote from: vtk on August 14, 2013, 11:32:25 PM
Quote from: DSS5 on August 14, 2013, 09:24:17 PM
Surprised Weed, California hasn't been mentioned.

I thought it was. Did you read all 160+ posts and not see it?

I used the handy-dandy search box at the top right corner.

vtk

Perhaps I was thinking of this, in an older but similar thread, and its followups:

Quote from: DrZoidberg on February 15, 2009, 12:36:40 PM
Nobody mentioned Weed, CA? 

On the other hand, why doesn't this come up with a simple search for Weed?  I had to use the Advanced Search.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

agentsteel53

because this is CA, not WA or CO.

jake@aaroads.com

J N Winkler

Quote from: english si on August 15, 2013, 04:44:37 AMAnd we did (well Britain did), along with the Commies, Frogs and the USA, dividing both Vienna and the country in the same way as we did Germany. We quickly released it back to the people (48?).

I think Allied occupation of Austria (and the resulting partition, although the part of Vienna inside the Ringstrasse was formally an "International Zone" and was patrolled by representatives of all four occupying powers) ended with the signing of the peace treaty in 1953.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

agentsteel53

I always find it interesting to recall that Austria was officially neutral during the cold war.  growing up, I don't recall any special difficulty in going there from Hungary.  this was similar to going to Czechoslovakia, and very much contrasted with going to West Germany.

jake@aaroads.com

formulanone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.