News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Think of reference markers not as mileposts but rather as lat/long coordinates with a different system, giving a unique identifier to a specific physical location.  If the record changes, then everything tied to that record is no longer tied to that actual physical location.  This is important when you consider that a "database" in state government often isn't a centralized system like one would assume, but could actually mean a collection of spreadsheets, word documents, and scanned PDFs in a network folder.

The biggest issue is crash reporting.  When an incident happens on the state highway system, they way the location is recorded is by reference marker.  Thus, if the marker changes or moves, someone who needs to know where that incident happened will get incorrect information.  IIRC, the responsibility for who overall maintains the reference marker system (in the office) has shifted a couple times, as information has migrated over to GIS systems that no longer need the makers.  Heck, many people need to be fluent in multiple systems - route/milepoint and reference markers - as different groups use different systems.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Bumppoman

Quote from: Rothman on July 22, 2021, 09:01:50 AM

Quote from: machias on July 22, 2021, 08:50:39 AM
Quote from: Rothman on July 22, 2021, 08:12:54 AM
R3 still has markers up reflecting old designations.

Interesting. I was basing my observation on former NY 57, which on the 370 and 481 parts no longer has 57 reference markers.

Well, the keyword there is "former."  NYSDOT isn't going to keep RMs on a county route.

An example of what I am talking about are NY 90 RMs being still in place on current NY 392.

I didn't think there were any NY-90 markers on NY-392, and confirmed that today.  Nor NY-215, for that matter.  The only evidence remaining that NY-90 extended south of its current terminus is a couple of rogue shields on US-11/NY-41 in Homer.

Rothman

Quote from: Bumppoman on July 27, 2021, 04:37:10 PM
Quote from: Rothman on July 22, 2021, 09:01:50 AM

Quote from: machias on July 22, 2021, 08:50:39 AM
Quote from: Rothman on July 22, 2021, 08:12:54 AM
R3 still has markers up reflecting old designations.

Interesting. I was basing my observation on former NY 57, which on the 370 and 481 parts no longer has 57 reference markers.

Well, the keyword there is "former."  NYSDOT isn't going to keep RMs on a county route.

An example of what I am talking about are NY 90 RMs being still in place on current NY 392.

I didn't think there were any NY-90 markers on NY-392, and confirmed that today.  Nor NY-215, for that matter.  The only evidence remaining that NY-90 extended south of its current terminus is a couple of rogue shields on US-11/NY-41 in Homer.
I've got the official ArcGIS file that states differently.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on July 27, 2021, 06:44:40 PM

I was going to say something, but it looks like someone else already said it...

Quote from: empirestate on July 27, 2021, 02:05:55 AM
To add to the confusion, there seems to be a discrepancy between theoretical marker locations (which can be seen e.g. in NYSDOT's GIS datasets) and actual sign legends.

I have found quite a few cases where the GIS files differ from what exists in the field. Should it happen? No, but it definitely happens.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

empirestate

Quote from: cl94 on July 27, 2021, 08:11:15 PM

To add to the confusion, there seems to be a discrepancy between theoretical marker locations (which can be seen e.g. in NYSDOT's GIS datasets) and actual sign legends.

I have found quite a few cases where the GIS files differ from what exists in the field. Should it happen? No, but it definitely happens.

Yup, that's it. I've got that same official file (or one just like it) and it's got loads of markers that don't exist in physical reality.

Rothman

Quote from: empirestate on July 27, 2021, 10:04:50 PM
Quote from: cl94 on July 27, 2021, 08:11:15 PM

Yup, that's it. I've got that same official file (or one just like it) and it's got loads of markers that don't exist in physical reality.

That's to be expected.  Markers in the field have gone kerplunk and the GIS file stodgily retains their locations every tenth mile.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

^ If NYSDOT wants to hire me, I'll fix that on the spot... :nod:

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on July 27, 2021, 10:43:30 PM
^ If NYSDOT wants to hire me, I'll fix that on the spot... :nod:
Ok.

*Sends froggie out into the field to place markers to match ArcGIS file*

astralentity

I see R4 is finally repaving I-390 north of the Avon exit.  About damned time, these freeways built in the late 70s/early 80s are starting to put wear and tear on my bones (and vehicles).

R9 is doing I-88 between Oneonta and Richmondville now, so when is R1 gonna do I-890 between RT 5 and exit 4?

bluecountry

Any reason why the LIE is in such a poor state of road maintenance?
Any plans to re-pave?

crispy93

Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

D-Dey65

The replacement for the Smiths Point Bridge sucks:
https://patch.com/new-york/shirley-mastic/all-systems-go-smith-point-bridge-replacements
Only two lanes when it should've been four. And I'll bet their still going to jack up the price of parking at the beach too.

mariethefoxy

Quote from: bluecountry on August 02, 2021, 11:36:27 AM
Any reason why the LIE is in such a poor state of road maintenance?
Any plans to re-pave?

the huge amount of truck traffic that barrels down it every day, there are also a couple of signs completely missing for quite some time now. The advance signs for Exit 41N on 495 East disappeared completely after a sign replacement in the early 2010s and never were replaced. I typically take Northern Parkway instead, the pavement is in better shape and no large trucks to get in the way.

SignBridge

Even the recently repaved Northern State Pkwy east of the Wantagh Pkwy. is now showing signs of wear even though that pavement is only a few years old. Must have been a poor quality job to begin with. Surprise! Surprise!

Also re: Mariethefoxy's reference to the signing on I-495 eastbound at Exit-41N, from Google Earth, it looks like it's the exit direction sign that missing. There is an advance sign ( 1/2 mile ) for Exits 41N-S.

In addition there is NO advance sign showing mileage to Exit-46, Sunnyside Blvd. which involves a lane-drop and an option-lane.

Rothman

Actually, NYSDOT Regions are finding there's not enough money to do recommended treatments.  They'll band-aid things over with a single overlay mill and fill when something more invasive might have been better for longevity. 

It's all a matter of available funds.

TheDon102

Any chance for a name change for the Mario M. Cuomo bridge? 

Ketchup99

Quote from: TheDon102 on August 10, 2021, 03:15:33 PM
Yeah. It'll become the Jack Courtney Bridge.

lstone19

Tappan Zee Bridge sounds like a good choice.

iPhone

billpa

They can recycle the signs that say "Governor Mario M. Cuomo Jr III Esquire" (all one line) into thirty smaller BGSs.

Pixel 2

Jim

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Alps

I don't recall any disgrace around that former governor so doubtful.

kkt

Please please please

Rothman

Quote from: Alps on August 10, 2021, 06:51:34 PM
Yeah, these calls for reversion now that Cuomo the Younger is resigning seem silly.

empirestate

Quote from: lstone19 on August 10, 2021, 04:12:16 PM
Tappan Zee Bridge sounds like a good choice.

I mean, we never started calling it anything else...

lstone19

Quote from: Rothman on August 10, 2021, 11:50:36 PM
Quote from: Alps on August 10, 2021, 06:51:34 PM
Yeah, these calls for reversion now that Cuomo the Younger is resigning seem silly.

Not so silly when you consider that the naming seems to have been pushed (complete with insistence that only the full "Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge" name be used and it never be shortened to the "Cuomo Bridge") by his now disgraced son. The name is inexorably tied to Andrew. I've even derisively referred to it as "Daddy's Bridge". I suspect NYS will proceed to attempt to rid itself of anything that ties to Andrew.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.