News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Wrecked Car Monument on US 15

Started by CVski, June 01, 2012, 11:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CVski

This same question was posted to the Northeast board the other day with no luck yet - maybe a reader is more familiar with the location and history...   :colorful:

Does anyone remember the set of white spray-painted car wrecks that were impaled on the top of poles on US 15 just east of Gettysburg?   They were on a piece of property next to a Texaco gas station.  I saw them during the mid 1980's around the time that the Gettysburg Bypass was getting under construction and they seem to have disappeared a few years later about the time that the four lane highway was completed.   Can anyone tell the story of why they were erected and what happened to them?  Is there a photograph out there?

jpi

If memory serves me correctly, they were put there as a reminder to slow to 55MPH and drive with caution on the "super 2" stretch of US 15 that ran from the Hunterstown- PA394 BUS 15 exit south to the MD line. US 15 was 4-laned starting in late 87 and finished sometime in 89.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

ShawnP

Wonder if they found any Civil War artifacts in the Gettysburg area. My great-great grandfather was at Gettysburg (his unit fired the opening artillery shots of Pickett's charge....Washington Artillery). I have been twice and find new stuff every time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.