News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Wine

Started by kphoger, March 09, 2021, 06:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on October 25, 2023, 11:08:55 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 25, 2023, 11:04:41 AM
Just seems to me that you just have to drink 3.5 glasses of wine when you open a bottle.

I know your tongue was halfway in your cheek as you typed that, but...  Three glasses is pushing it for me, and requires me to spread them out over a couple of hours.  Even then, I can't have anywhere to go that evening.

Alas, my tolerance is such that 3 glasses is not an unreasonable amount for me in a couple hour span. A lifetime of being in the restaurant biz I guess.

achilles765

I absolutely love wine. I'm studying to take the level one sommelier exam right now.
I used to drink a lot of red but for at least two or three years now, I have a very heavy preference for whites and sparkling. And port and Sauternes.
I generally tend to prefer Old World—Spanish and French, but I'll not turn down South Africa or South America. Not a huge fan of California—too well represented.
I love white burgundy, Sancerre, Vermentino, gruner veltliner, oh and dry German Riesling. And Albariño.
Cava and champagne for sparkling.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

kphoger

Quote from: achilles765 on October 26, 2023, 04:13:36 AM
I absolutely love wine. I'm studying to take the level one sommelier exam right now.
I used to drink a lot of red but for at least two or three years now, I have a very heavy preference for whites and sparkling. And port and Sauternes.
I generally tend to prefer Old World—Spanish and French, but I'll not turn down South Africa or South America. Not a huge fan of California—too well represented.
I love white burgundy, Sancerre, Vermentino, gruner veltliner, oh and dry German Riesling. And Albariño.

For white wines in general, I'm not sure I've had a bad one from the Willamette Valley of Oregon.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

My issue with California wines isn't the representation. It's that they're generally too heavy handed. Too much oak on their Chardonnay. Too much extraction on their reds. Santa Barbara is really the only region I really enjoy from CA.

I'm a bit fan of all of the selections you name above except for Gruner. Not sure what it is, but I have never tasted one that excited me, and I've probably tasted near 100 in my lifetime. It's too Pinot Grigio boring for me. If you like all of those whites, you should try to track down an Assyrtiko, a Greek white with a lot of saline character.

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 26, 2023, 11:19:58 AM
It's too Pinot Grigio boring for me.

Hey!  I love pinot grigio/gris!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on October 26, 2023, 11:31:05 AM

The only ones I tend to find interesting at all have a touch of bottle aging. Otherwise PG, to me, is the generic definition of white wine -- a bottle that's fine for $9-10, but anything more than that I could find something dramatically more interesting.

NWI_Irish96

There are a couple wineries in the Traverse City area that produce cherry/grape blends. Always get a couple bottles every time I'm up that way.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 26, 2023, 11:33:28 AM
The only ones I tend to find interesting at all have a touch of bottle aging. Otherwise PG, to me, is the generic definition of white wine -- a bottle that's fine for $9-10, but anything more than that I could find something dramatically more interesting.

A lot of times, I have "not dramatically interesting" in mind when shopping for white wine, because it's primarily for cooking with and I try to avoid any strange flavors getting concentrated in what's probably a light dish.

If I want something more interesting, then I often have good luck with the north coast of Spain.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on October 26, 2023, 11:51:15 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 26, 2023, 11:33:28 AM

A lot of times, I have "not dramatically interesting" in mind when shopping for white wine, because it's primarily for cooking with and I try to avoid any strange flavors getting concentrated in what's probably a light dish.

If I want something more interesting, then I often have good luck with the north coast of Spain.

To be honest, I've cooked with a lot of different white wines over the years and can't remember ever tasting a difference between varietals. Even super oaky Chardonnays don't come through any different than something light and bright. I guess something super flabby and overripe with no acid left whatsoever, but I don't buy stuff like that.

I do love northern Spanish whites. If you can track a Txakolina down (from the Basque region), they're delightful. They also make great rosé. Ameztoi is my favorite producer.

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 26, 2023, 12:16:15 PM
If you can track a Txakolina down (from the Basque region), they're delightful.

Pretty sure I've had one.  When I get home later, I'll sift through my notes.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on October 26, 2023, 12:18:48 PM

Yep.  I've had the 2020 vintage of this:

Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on October 26, 2023, 06:05:41 PM

Unfamiliar with the producer, but I'm sure it was pretty tasty. I've never had a bad one.

achilles765

My issue with California wines isn't the representation. It's that they're generally too heavy handed. Too much oak on their Chardonnay. Too much extraction on their reds. Santa Barbara is really the only region I really enjoy from CA.

I'm a bit fan of all of the selections you name above except for Gruner. Not sure what it is, but I have never tasted one that excited me, and I've probably tasted near 100 in my lifetime. It's too Pinot Grigio boring for me. If you like all of those whites, you should try to track down an Assyrtiko, a Greek white with a lot of saline character.

I actually have had a couple of Assyrtiko before. I did like it. Very interesting.
I also don't care for Pinot Grigio.

I used to think I didn't like Chardonnay. But then I realized that many of my favorite wines are actually Chardonnay—Chablis, champagne, white burgundy. So I realized it's that I don't like CALIFORNIA Chardonnay. Too much oak and often too buttery.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

kphoger

Quote from: achilles765 on October 27, 2023, 02:05:52 AM
I used to think I didn't like Chardonnay. But then I realized that many of my favorite wines are actually Chardonnay—Chablis, champagne, white burgundy. So I realized it's that I don't like CALIFORNIA Chardonnay. Too much oak and often too buttery.

Oak and buttery tend to go together, don't they?  I like unoaked California Chardonnay just fine.  But y'all would probably find it too boring...
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on October 27, 2023, 11:17:06 AM
Quote from: achilles765 on October 27, 2023, 02:05:52 AM

Oak and buttery tend to go together, don't they?  I like unoaked California Chardonnay just fine.  But y'all would probably find it too boring...

It probably accentuates it, but no, not inherently. Oaky flavors come from vanillin, a compound that comes from the wood. Butteriness comes from diacetyl, a compound that is created during a secondary fermentation called malolactic fermentation, which converts malic acid (think apples) to lactic acid (think milk). A wine doesn't have to be aged in barrel after having gone through malolactic.

I like unoaked California Chardonnay just fine; I wish more would make it in this Chablis style. I also like oaked Santa Barbara Chardonnays from good producers (Sandhi is my favorite) because they don't go heavy handed on the barrels' char. Santa Barbara, despite being the southernmost of California's wine regions, is also the coolest, so their wines tend to have brighter acidity to balance out the oak/butter.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on October 26, 2023, 11:00:22 AM
For white wines in general, I'm not sure I've had a bad one from the Willamette Valley of Oregon.

Oh, hey, look what I found in the basement, just waiting to be had with dinner on Monday...

Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on November 01, 2023, 02:52:10 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 26, 2023, 11:00:22 AM

Oh, hey, look what I found in the basement, just waiting to be had with dinner on Monday...

I'm sure it'll be absolutely fine. :)

kphoger

I meant day before yesterday, not next week.  Yes, it was good for both cooking and drinking.  The rest is now in an ice cube tray in the freezer (hey, I should empty that into a freezer bag).
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 26, 2023, 07:22:16 PM

Quote from: kphoger on October 26, 2023, 06:05:41 PM

Unfamiliar with the producer, but I'm sure it was pretty tasty. I've never had a bad one.

Just recently, a Total Wine & More opened up on the northeast side of Wichita.  It felt like cheating on my usual liquor store, but I went up there to check it out.  One thing I specifically wanted to see was their Txakoli(na) selection.  They had a total of one option.

For our family Epiphany dinner this year, on Saturday, I went back to my regular liquor store and picked up a bottle of Asko Txakloli 2022, from the Basque Country.  It's 80% Hondarrabi Zurri and 20% Petit Courbu.  Very crisp and fruity, just what my wife and I like, with a faint grassy note at the end.  Quite refreshing and easy to drink.  The little bit that remained after dinner is now in my freezer in cube form.

Otherwise . . .

For simmering the rouladen (along with beef broth and Worcestershire sauce and carrots and celery and bay leaves and thyme), I picked up a good old Côtes du Rhône blend—Grenache and Syrah.  This one was a 2021 Réserve from Cellier des Dauphins, which is nothing special but perfect for cooking.  Nothing left of that one:  the whole bottle went into the electric skillet.

Along with the Txakoli, I also picked up a Malbec from Mendoza, Argentina, to have with dinner.  This one was a 2020 from Matias Ricitelli under the label "Hey Malbec!".  It was even better than expected, primarily because it was actually less dry than the bottom of the three wise men's sandals.  Boy oh boy, is it a dark color!  Like, purple.  What I couldn't fit in an ice cube tray (I'm the only one in the family who likes any red wine) after dinner is still waiting for me, vacuum-pumped, on the kitchen counter.  I look forward to having it this evening.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

All sounds good to me! Recently had some friends over and did Thai food. Started with a Crèmant de Loire Rosé that was really good bang for the buck. Then moved onto a Vin d'Alsace that was a Gewurztraminer, Riesling, and Pinot Blanc blend, but sadly mostly the latter which left it pretty one note. Finished up with a demi-sec Vouvray that was lovely. All $22 or less.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on January 08, 2024, 02:26:39 PM
I also picked up a Malbec from Mendoza, Argentina, to have with dinner.  This one was a 2020 from Matias Ricitelli under the label "Hey Malbec!".  It was even better than expected, primarily because it was actually less dry than the bottom of the three wise men's sandals.  Boy oh boy, is it a dark color!  Like, purple.  What I couldn't fit in an ice cube tray (I'm the only one in the family who likes any red wine) after dinner is still waiting for me, vacuum-pumped, on the kitchen counter.  I look forward to having it this evening.

Finished off the bottle yesterday evening.  One glass with dinner, a second glass on its own while taking down Christmas decorations.  I'd never have thought of enjoying a Malbec on its own, but this one definitely pleased.

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 08, 2024, 11:01:12 PM
All sounds good to me! Recently had some friends over and did Thai food. Started with a Crèmant de Loire Rosé that was really good bang for the buck. Then moved onto a Vin d'Alsace that was a Gewurztraminer, Riesling, and Pinot Blanc blend, but sadly mostly the latter which left it pretty one note. Finished up with a demi-sec Vouvray that was lovely. All $22 or less.

I've only found one or two rosé wines that I like.  Usually, they taste too much like wine that was opened two days earlier.

It's been a long time since I've bought a Gewürtz.  I used to buy it a lot back in the day, back before I knew much of anything about wine other than that I liked Riesling.  These days, I steer toward something a little less sweet.

Ooh, a demi-sec Vouvray sounds good.  I find a lot of Vouvray wines to be a little to oily for my liking, so I imagine a demi-sec would be more enjoyable.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on January 09, 2024, 12:42:58 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 08, 2024, 02:26:39 PM
I also picked up a Malbec from Mendoza, Argentina, to have with dinner.  This one was a 2020 from Matias Ricitelli under the label "Hey Malbec!".  It was even better than expected, primarily because it was actually less dry than the bottom of the three wise men's sandals.  Boy oh boy, is it a dark color!  Like, purple.  What I couldn't fit in an ice cube tray (I'm the only one in the family who likes any red wine) after dinner is still waiting for me, vacuum-pumped, on the kitchen counter.  I look forward to having it this evening.

Finished off the bottle yesterday evening.  One glass with dinner, a second glass on its own while taking down Christmas decorations.  I'd never have thought of enjoying a Malbec on its own, but this one definitely pleased.

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 08, 2024, 11:01:12 PM

I've only found one or two rosé wines that I like.  Usually, they taste too much like wine that was opened two days earlier.

It's been a long time since I've bought a Gewürtz.  I used to buy it a lot back in the day, back before I knew much of anything about wine other than that I liked Riesling.  These days, I steer toward something a little less sweet.

Ooh, a demi-sec Vouvray sounds good.  I find a lot of Vouvray wines to be a little to oily for my liking, so I imagine a demi-sec would be more enjoyable.

The explosion of popularity of Rosé has definitely contributed to having a lot of crappy stuff in the market. If you happen to find Planeta, it's a Sicilian rosé from Nero d'Avola and Nerello Mascalese that should be something like $12-15 in a liquor store. Every vintage I've ever had has been good.

I don't love Gewurz on its own. Too flowery.

The demi-sec was more of a way to calm down the spice in the Thai food. Sugar kills heat. It was fine, but I tend to like my Chenin Blanc to smell like snuggle sheets, and this one was a little bit less of that fresh laundry smell that I like.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.