News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Movie Cars at the Wal-Mart Pick-up

Started by US71, January 07, 2019, 09:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Extended version of the new commercial for Wal-Mart Pick-Up featuring assorted movie cars (Ecto-1, KITT, Mystery Machine, to name a few, plus Sam Walton's pick-up truck).

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

SP Cook

If I ever become so busy that I cannot spend the time to actually shop for my stuff myself, I hope to have enough money to hire someone to do it for me and to not do it at Wal-Mart.

US71

Quote from: SP Cook on January 07, 2019, 09:39:13 AM
If I ever become so busy that I cannot spend the time to actually shop for my stuff myself, I hope to have enough money to hire someone to do it for me and to not do it at Wal-Mart.

I'd have concerns about frozen food thawing or damaged groceries (I've seen how they just throw stuff on the shelves).

abefroman329

Quote from: US71 on January 07, 2019, 09:46:04 AM

I'd have concerns about frozen food thawing or damaged groceries (I've seen how they just throw stuff on the shelves).
I've not had good experiences with Instacart - they allegedly can't find items that should be available at any grocery store, and they once delivered a half-gallon of milk that expired the following day - but that's to be expected given the fact that they're Uber for grocery delivery.  Getting food delivered by Jewel has been better, although expensive, and they have a bizarre and wasteful policy of putting every single item in its own separate, non-re-usable plastic bag.

Whether grocery delivery or in-store pickup, the other problem is that, if you're buying fresh produce, you're letting someone else pick it out for you.

jeffandnicole

It's probably the service that one uses.  If you're buying direct thru the supermarket, they have an incentive to keep you as a customer.  So they're going to want to pick stuff that you like.  Getting wilted veges and stuff that expires tomorrow isn't going to keep you as a customer.

On the other hand, if you're using a 3rd party, they don't care as much.  They can just blame the supermarket, not themselves.

US71

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 07, 2019, 10:11:20 AM
Quote from: US71 on January 07, 2019, 09:46:04 AM

I've not had good experiences with Instacart - they allegedly can't find items that should be available at any grocery store, and they once delivered a half-gallon of milk that expired the following day - but that's to be expected given the fact that they're Uber for grocery delivery.  Getting food delivered by Jewel has been better, although expensive, and they have a bizarre and wasteful policy of putting every single item in its own separate, non-re-usable plastic bag.

Whether grocery delivery or in-store pickup, the other problem is that, if you're buying fresh produce, you're letting someone else pick it out for you.

I've heard a couple complaints about product substitutions  I'm no fan of grocery pick-up and most people I know aren't trusting of them

SP Cook

Cannot say much about Wal-Mart's service, as it just started near me, but at my local Kroger, the whole thing seems inefficient.  I do not use the service, but from what I observe as a regular shopper, and was told by a friend who is a section chief at Kroger, I feel they have a big gap.

Kroger is heavily unionized, and the people doing this service are at the bottom of the chain, hoping to get on permanent and cash in.  They are teens and early twenties.  And they just do not cook.  If you don't cook, you don't know where the stuff in the center isles of the store are.  They get a list and wander about looking for items they do not know what they even are, with only an app to help them.    It is like sending your kid to the store for you.

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on January 07, 2019, 11:03:03 AM
Cannot say much about Wal-Mart's service, as it just started near me, but at my local Kroger, the whole thing seems inefficient.  I do not use the service, but from what I observe as a regular shopper, and was told by a friend who is a section chief at Kroger, I feel they have a big gap.

Kroger is heavily unionized, and the people doing this service are at the bottom of the chain, hoping to get on permanent and cash in.  They are teens and early twenties.  And they just do not cook.  If you don't cook, you don't know where the stuff in the center isles of the store are.  They get a list and wander about looking for items they do not know what they even are, with only an app to help them.    It is like sending your kid to the store for you.

I've used Walmart pickup before, both for items in the store and items that aren't available at the little non-Supercenter WM in my work town.

I've heard differing opinions on Kroger's "clicklist" service. I might use it if I just needed three or four things and didn't want to have to park in the next ZIP code and go wandering about the store trying to find items that are scattered about the premises.

Kroger being heavily unionized is probably one reason that they are so blasted expensive on non-sale items.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on January 07, 2019, 01:10:27 PM
Kroger being heavily unionized is probably one reason that they are so blasted expensive on non-sale items.

Most grocery stores are unionized. It's not just Kroger.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

abefroman329

Kroger is the only chain I've seen where it sells, for example, Kroger-brand goods at non-Kroger chains owned by Kroger (such as Food 4 Less and Smith's).  I haven't seen that in chains owned by, say, Albertsons or Ahold.

roadfro

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 07, 2019, 02:27:30 PM
Kroger is the only chain I've seen where it sells, for example, Kroger-brand goods at non-Kroger chains owned by Kroger (such as Food 4 Less and Smith's).  I haven't seen that in chains owned by, say, Albertsons or Ahold.
The Smith's and Food 4 Less chains are owned under Kroger's corporate umbrella (as are some other popular chains, like Fred Meyer and Ralph's). That's why you might see Kroger-branded products in those stores.

Similarly, out west, you can find the "Signature Select" store brand in multiple retailers, including Albertsons, Safeway and Vons. The brand started as "Safeway Select" and could be also be found in Vons (previously a subsidiary of Safeway). Albertsons purchased Safeway and appropriated & renamed their brand, so now you see Signature Select in multiple retailers.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

allniter89

I've not used WM grocery pu, but at the local WM I've haven't noticed a line of cars waiting.
I did use WM for buy online, pu in store & buy online ship to store. It was a miserable experience on both counts. For the time it took me to pu the item I could have went into the store found the item & I went thru a register. The local WM is not a fun place to go, not enough parking, long lines at checkout  & "associates" that ignore u. We find its worth it to drive 18 mi to the Niceville WM.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.