News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Southwest Florida

Started by FLRoads, October 23, 2009, 04:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mefailenglish

A little late maybe, but the funky orange 41 that used to be posted on Rattlesnake Hammock Road:

Is now, from what I've been told, in the Collier County Museum.  I haven't been there to confirm.

Alex

CFI's planned for SR 82 in Lee County.

State Road 82 could have cure for left turn delays

QuoteThe continuous flow intersection is being recommended for the reconstruction of S.R. 82, a plan that will widen the two-lane road to six lanes through much of Lee County, and then four lanes into Hendry and Collier counties. Fatal accidents on the road have brought calls for it to be widened. County and state highway officials have worked to get the reconstruction, which begins in a few months, to the top of the list of area road projects.

The S.R. 82 version of the continuous flow interchange would be the first in Florida.

Engineers have included the new design at the intersection of  SR 82 with Gunnery Road and Daniels Parkway in Lehigh Acres. Gunnery turns into Daniels on the south side of SR 82. About 35,500 vehicles moved through the intersection in January, according to Lee County transportation counts.

jdb1234

I'll bump this topic having been in SW Florida for a few days.

I arrived in SW Florida Tuesday after some issues forced me to sleep in my car and aborting an overnight stay in Jacksonville.  Here are a few notes:

I-75 is very busy in the Naples-Fort Myers area.  I remember when there was not much down here.
I have heard there are plan to widen I-75 through Punta Gorda.  If so, that would mean that I-75 would be 6-lanes in Florida with the exception of Alligator Alley.
Exit 111 is now signed for North Naples instead of Naples Park.
Speed Limits seem to be a suggestion on Collier Blvd between I-75 and the bridge to Marco Island.

Alex

Excluding Everglades Parkway, this will complete the six-laning of I-75 statewide.

State moves forward with plans to widen Charlotte County interstate

QuoteCHARLOTTE COUNTY, Fla.–Construction will state soon in Charlotte County, as the state moves forward with plans to add new lanes to part of the interstate.

The four-mile stretch from Jones Loop Road to U.S. 17, in Charlotte County, is the only four-lane section of I-75 that is left between Alligator Alley and the Florida-Georgia border.

The state plans to expand the highway to 6-lanes in that area.

The $29 million project will start at the end of the month and construction is expected to take a year and a half.

FDOT planning to add six new roundabouts in Manatee County

BRADENTON, FL (WWSB) - The Florida Department of Transportation is getting ready to start several construction projects in Manatee County. It's looking to add five roundabouts along 15th Street East from Tallevast Road to U.S. 41, and plans to add another roundabout at 15th Street's intersection with Martin Luther King Junior Avenue.

FDOT considered adding new left turn lanes on Martin Luther King Junior Avenue onto 15th Street but found adding a roundabout would "best meet the needs of the intersection." Construction is set to begin in March, with a projected completion date of January 2019.

More Sarasota area roundabouts:

Contract awarded for upgrades to Sarasota's Highway 41

QuoteIBT of Miami won a $12.6 million contract to improve traffic flow and pedestrian safety on U.S. Highway 41 in Sarasota, Florida.

The work is part of the Downtown-Bayfront Connection project planned by the Florida Department of Transportation and the city of Sarasota. The goal of the project is to reconnect the downtown and Bayfront with a focus on pedestrians. The project will involve sidewalks, bike lanes, pavement markings and landscaping improvements between 10th Street and 14th Street.

The project is expected to be completed in 2020. It would also involve removing traffic lights along U.S. 41 at 10th and 14th streets and replacing them with roundabouts. The goal is to slow traffic through the high-speed area and make it safer for pedestrians and bicyclists, as well as revive downtown Sarasota. The half-mile section of highway will be widened to add sidewalks and bike lanes.

Finrod

Quote from: Alex on November 28, 2017, 08:23:00 AM
Excluding Everglades Parkway, this will complete the six-laning of I-75 statewide.

Since I believe I-75 is six lanes all the way through Georgia, that'll make it six lanes going north all the way to the far side of Chattanooga.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

VTGoose

Quote from: Finrod on November 28, 2017, 01:15:40 PM

Since I believe I-75 is six lanes all the way through Georgia, that'll make it six lanes going north all the way to the far side of Chattanooga.

There are still some four-lane sections of I-75 in Florida, with construction to add lanes slowly slogging along (I believe FDOT has a lot of make-work projects on the books, dragging out simple two-year projects into four- and five-year jobs).

Bruce, back in Blacksburg from a trip to Apollo Beach
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

Alex

Quote from: VTGoose on November 28, 2017, 01:19:02 PM
Quote from: Finrod on November 28, 2017, 01:15:40 PM

There are still some four-lane sections of I-75 in Florida, with construction to add lanes slowly slogging along (I believe FDOT has a lot of make-work projects on the books, dragging out simple two-year projects into four- and five-year jobs).

Bruce, back in Blacksburg from a trip to Apollo Beach

All other remaining 4-lane sections are currently under construction for six lanes. This includes a conversion of the exit for US 98/SR 50 in Hernando to a DDI and the redesign of the wye interchange with Florida's Turnpike in Sumter.

The Charlotte County widening north of Punta Gorda was completed earlier this year.

Alex

Noticed that the FDOT GIS files for state roads was recently updated to show SR 777 along River Road in Sarasota County from US 41 at North Port to I-75. The attribute data lists it at 5.84 miles.

Checked the Florida Straight Line Diagrams and the entry for SR 777 (Roadway ID 17000064) was revised on August 19, 2020. The net roadway length is 5.819 miles, which extends to the turnaround north of I-75 (where a rest area entrance was located at one point).

Drove SR 777/River Road yesterday, and the route is not signed. Nor is it acknowledged yet on guide signs along Interstate 75 southbound.
Edit - Went ahead and created a page with the photos on AARoads.

Will be checking on subsequent trips to Southwest Florida and will post when I see SR 777 marked.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.