News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Driver Behavior

Started by Mergingtraffic, November 22, 2014, 08:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

algorerhythms

Quote from: DriverDave on October 19, 2023, 12:15:10 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 23, 2014, 12:12:38 AM
People speeding well over the limit who slam on their brakes upon seeing a cop and go 10 under the limit past the cop.
Heavily agree with this. It looks even more dumb to pass a cop going so slow than at a normal 5-10 over the limit. It is like an admission of guilt to have your front hood drop as you are passing him. If I am going more than 10 over the speed limit I usually just slow down to 7-8 over. Slamming on the brakes to slow down 20 mph is more likely to cause an accident than all of traffic continuing to drive 5-10 over the limit.
The dumbest variant I've seen on this is the people who slam the brakes when they see a cop despite already going the speed limit . This is bizarrely common on the Ohio Turnpike for some reason.

Rothman

Quote from: algorerhythms on October 20, 2023, 09:40:53 AM
People speeding well over the limit who slam on their brakes upon seeing a cop and go 10 under the limit past the cop.
Heavily agree with this. It looks even more dumb to pass a cop going so slow than at a normal 5-10 over the limit. It is like an admission of guilt to have your front hood drop as you are passing him. If I am going more than 10 over the speed limit I usually just slow down to 7-8 over. Slamming on the brakes to slow down 20 mph is more likely to cause an accident than all of traffic continuing to drive 5-10 over the limit.
The dumbest variant I've seen on this is the people who slam the brakes when they see a cop despite already going the speed limit . This is bizarrely common on the Ohio Turnpike for some reason.
Ohio is also the land of the left-lane blocker.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

That drives me crazy. When I go out I-66 towards Front Royal, in the 70-mph zone it seems like I'm the only person who doesn't automatically slow down when I see a cop (because I'm not speeding) unless I have no choice because of everyone else hitting the brakes. Other people will slow to 60 or 65 mph. I wonder whether it's a legacy of the old National Speed Limit. Even though that's been gone since 1995 (recognizing that not all states changed their speed limits immediately), I think a lot of people are still just plain conditioned to the idea that they're always going over the speed limit and they need to slow down.

For the most part, I've always thought that there's not a lot of point in hammering the brakes when you see a cop unless you were going way over the speed limit. It seems like slamming on the brakes is more or less an admission that you were speeding.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 20, 2023, 10:07:35 AM
For the most part, I've always thought that there's not a lot of point in hammering the brakes when you see a cop unless you were going way over the speed limit. It seems like slamming on the brakes is more or less an admission that you were speeding.

Same.  I laugh at the people who brake for cops.
If you think you could get away with it when you didn't see the cop, what makes you think you're not going to get away with it when you do see the cop?

A few times I have actually honked at people who slowed down in front of me on the freeway because there was a cop car.  When someone practically brake checks you just because they had pig sighting, they deserve the 'fuck you' honk.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Mergingtraffic

What I don't get if you're going down a hill and you can see the next hill with nothing in between (a valley basically) people brake. Just let the car roll or coast
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

RobbieL2415

I am going to call out a behavior for a specific location:

For the love of all that is right in the world, PLEASE keep your speed up this hill. I simply do not understand why drivers don't understand the need to modulate the gas pedal to maintain speed.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7719101,-72.5970874,3a,75y,95.81h,91.39t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sMlMe2FAfkOjORHQUW5m0eg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DMlMe2FAfkOjORHQUW5m0eg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D23.499043%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Rothman

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on October 20, 2023, 01:28:29 PM

For the love of all that is right in the world, PLEASE keep your speed up this hill. I simply do not understand why drivers don't understand the need to modulate the gas pedal to maintain speed.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7719101,-72.5970874,3a,75y,95.81h,91.39t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sMlMe2FAfkOjORHQUW5m0eg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DMlMe2FAfkOjORHQUW5m0eg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D23.499043%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Psst: You're in Connecticut.  There's no hope for that on this hill or any others on I-84.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

I simply do not understand why drivers don't understand the need to modulate the gas pedal to maintain speed.

Sometimes I prefer to let low-end torque get me up the hill at lower revs, rather than downshift into a lower gear and maintain speed.  It may not amount to much on only occasional hills, but the difference in fuel economy is noticeable at the pump when driving around, say, the Ozarks all week.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tmoore952

Maybe the car won't handle it. I had a lot of problems keeping up speed with my previous two automatic cars (two Saturns) when driving up the hills on I-68 in Maryland and West Virginia. Fortunately I did not have to go out there that often. Yes, I stayed to the right.

algorerhythms

Quote from: tmoore952 on October 20, 2023, 01:44:15 PM

Maybe the car won't handle it. I had a lot of problems keeping up speed with my previous two automatic cars (two Saturns) when driving up the hills on I-68 in Maryland and West Virginia. Fortunately I did not have to go out there that often. Yes, I stayed to the right.
I have to downshift into 4th gear in my car when I'm going up Savage Mountain, and I don't like pushing it above 60 mph in 4th gear. I stay to the right, but it's often necessary to enter the center lane to pass a truck; otherwise I'd end up having to downshift into 3rd, and that's just a bad time all around.

wanderer2575

The really dumbest variant is when it's a cop who is with someone he/she already pulled over, or is working whatever other incident.  The cop is busy!  He's not going to come after you!  (Notwithstanding the scene in Smokey and the Bandit where the trooper abandoned Cledus and went after the Bandit, but that probably was only because Carrie gave him the finger.)

kphoger

Even better when it's on the other side of the freeway, and traffic still slows down to rubberneck.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: wanderer2575 on October 20, 2023, 02:23:25 PM

The really dumbest variant is when it's a cop who is with someone he/she already pulled over, or is working whatever other incident.  The cop is busy!  He's not going to come after you!  (Notwithstanding the scene in Smokey and the Bandit where the trooper abandoned Cledus and went after the Bandit, but that probably was only because Carrie gave him the finger.)

The even more really dumbest variant is when the cop has someone pulled over and is with the other vehicle on the other side of a jersey barrier or guardrail separating the flow of traffic, and there's no break or interchange for at least a mile or two, meaning the cop is at, at a minimum, a 2 mile disadvantage before they even have a chance to move back to his car to race to make a u-ey to try to get back to the person scared shitless. (oh, yeah, what kphoger said)

I've also heard "they'll just radio ahead to the next cop".  No, they won't.  Chances are there isn't another cop ahead. And if there is, that cop already sees hundreds of people coming their way.  Unless you're speeding recklessly, chances are you're not doing anything to capture any cop's eyes.  There's a trooper I pass everyday at the Statehouse building.  Someone told me that if they see someone doing something wrong, they'll radio to the next cop nearby.  Again, no they won't.  That trooper's responsibility is to protect the Statehouse.  He's not on traffic duty worried about a seatbelt violation or a few mphs over the limit.

tmoore952

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 20, 2023, 02:42:37 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on October 20, 2023, 02:23:25 PM

The even more really dumbest variant is when the cop has someone pulled over and is with the other vehicle on the other side of a jersey barrier or guardrail separating the flow of traffic, and there's no break or interchange for at least a mile or two, meaning the cop is at, at a minimum, a 2 mile disadvantage before they even have a chance to move back to his car to race to make a u-ey to try to get back to the person scared shitless. (oh, yeah, what kphoger said)

I've also heard "they'll just radio ahead to the next cop".  No, they won't.  Chances are there isn't another cop ahead. And if there is, that cop already sees hundreds of people coming their way.  Unless you're speeding recklessly, chances are you're not doing anything to capture any cop's eyes.  There's a trooper I pass everyday at the Statehouse building.  Someone told me that if they see someone doing something wrong, they'll radio to the next cop nearby.  Again, no they won't.  That trooper's responsibility is to protect the Statehouse.  He's not on traffic duty worried about a seatbelt violation or a few mphs over the limit.

Not to contradict people, but I suspect I did see things like that when commuting across I-195 in New Jersey from 1995 to 2000. Rumor was that there was a police training ground in Bellmar, or Wall Township which is just east of where I-195 ends. And I-195, at least then, had several good hiding spots for cops in the area east of the NJ Turnpike and around Six Flags.

The problem with I-195 from a driver point of view (wanting to avoid cop interactions) is that it didn't have much traffic, and you were easy pickings if you were violating the law in some way. Most people in NJ are driving towards Philadelphia or NYC, not between Trenton and Six Flags or the beaches. You also had better stay to the right unless passing since that is the law.

Rothman

Really?  My dinky 2012 Nissan Versa hatchback could maintain speeds on western mountains, let alone I-68.  Saturns must be really pathetic.

kphoger

Radioing ahead is definitely a thing.  Here in Wichita, they've run motorcycle cop operations in which one officer runs a radar gun and then radios ahead to tell another officer which vehicle to pull over.  I've seen it in action.

But again, those officers aren't already occupied with some other situation.  The first one is actively watching his radar gun.  He isn't leaning into a car window to talk with a lady about her flat tire.
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

KY used to radio ahead many moons ago.  Not sure if it's still the practice, but it was well understood along the Mountain Parkway that police would use this method for speed enforcement

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on October 20, 2023, 03:05:17 PM
Radioing ahead is definitely a thing.  Here in Wichita, they've run motorcycle cop operations in which one officer runs a radar gun and then radios ahead to tell another officer which vehicle to pull over.  I've seen it in action.

But again, those officers aren't already occupied with some other situation.  The first one is actively watching his radar gun.  He isn't leaning into a car window to talk with a lady about her flat tire.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but the likelihood that they're going to use 2 officers to pull over one person is very rare, and a waste of resources.  The officer ahead is just as likely to see the person speeding anyway. 

1995hoo

The place where I've routinely seen a cop radio ahead is the infamous Ridgeland, South Carolina, but there it's a different situation. A cop stands on top of an overpass shooting radar and calls ahead to his colleagues to tell them which car to stop. A short distance up the road, you'll see multiple town police cars on both shoulders. They pull out and stop the designated targets. I always get in the right lane and set the cruise control at 68 mph (two under the speed limit, just to allow for speedometer error) when I go through there.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

tmoore952

Quote from: Rothman on October 20, 2023, 03:02:33 PM

Really?  My dinky 2012 Nissan Versa hatchback could maintain speeds on western mountains, let alone I-68.  Saturns must be really pathetic.

Both of my Saturns (automatics) didn't seem to downshift when they should have, as a result it was dragging itself up the hills. I'm not going to say I was perfect in transmission maintenance, but the cars worked well in almost every other situation but that.

Both vehicles are long gone. Between them I got approximately 500 K miles (about 290 K on one, about 210 K on the other), so they did their job.

SectorZ

Quote from: Rothman on October 20, 2023, 03:02:33 PM

My father-in-law's Saturn SL1 couldn't handle the terrain on I-84 east of Hartford. They were that bad.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on October 20, 2023, 03:05:17 PM

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 20, 2023, 03:43:07 PM
The place where I've routinely seen a cop radio ahead is the infamous Ridgeland, South Carolina, but there it's a different situation. A cop stands on top of an overpass shooting radar and calls ahead to his colleagues to tell them which car to stop. A short distance up the road, you'll see multiple town police cars on both shoulders. They pull out and stop the designated targets.

This is how they've run it in Wichita as well.  One officer takes his perch on a pedestrian overpass, and the other officer (or even more than one) is waiting on his motorcycle in the anti-gore (or whatever you call it before an on-ramp tapers to the mainline).  At locations where there's no pedestrian overpass, the first officer chooses a different, more vulnerable spot.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.