I-95/PA Turnpike Golden Spike Meet - September 2018

Started by briantroutman, July 23, 2018, 03:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

briantroutman

^ Could all of the conversation not specifically related to the meet itself please go over to the general I-95/Turnpike thread?

Thanks for the additional diner suggestions, and I'll look into them.

I did see the New Madison Restaurant, and yes, I think going to a cash-only place would be problematic. But even so, the few photos I found make it look like a very small place, and seating for potentially 20+ people would probably be difficult. It's a shame, though, because New Madison is within walking distance of the project office.

The other diners may potentially work out, and some aren't much further from the project office than the Golden Eagle is. I'll do some checking to see which either have reservable rooms or would at least be willing to push tables together to accommodate a large group.

jon daly

I'd like to apologize for intruding on this thread and getting it off topic (as well as turning the therad about the South into a Civil War discussion.) I utilize the "Show unread posts since last visit." link, so I often don't even look to see what subforum a thread is part of.

Alps

Further suggestions: Stadium and Bailey's Bars and Grills, both at Five Points just NE of the interchange in Levittown. Golden Dawn Diner is near there too.

briantroutman

^ Thanks for the suggestions, I can look into both. Have you been to either of these places, and do you know if either has a separate room we might be able to use?

I called a few diner-type places in the nearby area, and here's a quick update on some possible restaurant choices:

Golden Dawn (Google location page) and the Langhorne Speedway Diner (website - Google location page) would be able to put tables together for us to accommodate a crowd of about 20+, but we wouldn't have a private room. (Langhorne Speedway does have a banquet room, but it's intended for much larger parties.) Both places are fine with doing separate checks and don't have a mandatory gratuity for large groups. Both places also seem fairly flexible–only needing a few days' notice to reserve. So either looks like it might be a good option.

Another nearby place called Garden of Eatin (website - Google location page) may be able to reserve a separate room for us–I'm still awaiting a call back from the manager there. It's a little less a diner and more of general family restaurant.

Any opinions on the above dining options?

I just spoke with the PTC representative earlier today and am awaiting some additional details on a few questions I had for her. I'll send an email to everyone who has registered once I've heard back from her, so be looking for an email from me later this afternoon/evening.

Alps

Quote from: briantroutman on September 07, 2018, 01:47:25 PM
^ Thanks for the suggestions, I can look into both. Have you been to either of these places, and do you know if either has a separate room we might be able to use?
I'm unfamiliar with the places but at least one of them had a website that suggested a private room.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Jason having a "private room" for the Central Pa meet, back in the spring, was a first for me. It shouldn't be a deal breaker for finding someplace to eat beforehand.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

briantroutman

We're now just three days out! I have some additional updates to share, and I'll be sending out an email to everyone who's registered as well.

First, to settle the issue of the lunch restaurant choice: If no one has any objections, I'll go ahead with Golden Dawn as the final selection. It seems like a good overall option, reviews were generally positive, and when I spoke to the manager on the phone, she seemed fairly easygoing and accommodating, which I think are important qualities when dealing with a large group.

I got an update from my contact at the PTC, and she had a request for me–she asked if the attendees had hard hats and reflective vests and could bring them for the tour. I told her that I doubted that most would have them, but I said I'd ask nonetheless. If you have a hard hat and reflective vest or could borrow one easily, please do. And if by chance you have access to multiple and could bring extras, that would be most appreciated. Whether you can bring either, both, or neither, I'd appreciate if you'd post to the thread or send me a quick email so I have some idea how many attendees will need them.

Perhaps you've looked at the week's weather forecast; I certainly have. The next few days will be rainy, but bt looks like we'll have a reprieve for the meet. As long as we don't have an all-day driving rainstorm Thursday (which doesn't appear to be in the cards), I don't foresee a problem.

So at this point, here's our agenda:

12:00 p.m. - Meet at Golden Dawn Diner - 7115 New Falls Road, Levittown, PA 19055
1:30 p.m. - Depart diner; head to PTC project office - 4605 Durham Road, Bristol, PA, 19007
2:00 p.m. - Meet project engineers; Q&A begins
3:30 p.m. - Board PTC vans; tour new interchange (stops for photo opportunities)
4:30 p.m. - Return to PTC project office; get back in our own vehicles
5:00 p.m. - Drive "new"  I-295 from Bristol to US 1 north of Trenton
6:00 p.m. - Dinner

Regarding dinner, I'm open to almost anything, but I'm particularly intrigued by Steve's suggestion of having a Trenton tomato pie (which is something I've never had). I understand that DeLorenzo's is the quintessential Trenton tomato pie shop, and their location just off I-295 on Sloan Avenue would probably be the most convenient to the end of the tour. They have another location in Yardley, although that would require some backtracking for people headed north at the end of the day. I'm fine with either location myself–and also happy to entertain other suggestions if anyone has one.

JimmyI395

Sounds great Brian. I have two reflective vests. I just don't have any hard hats. Since this is my first meet with you guys. How will I pick you out when I get to the restaurant?

iPhone

akotchi

I have both a hard hat and vest for myself.  Can try to get others.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

oscar

I have a reflective vest for myself, and two extras (one an el cheapo, better than nothing). No hard hats, alas.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

02 Park Ave

I have the hard hat but not the reflective vest"
C-o-H

signalman

Quote from: JimmyI395 on September 10, 2018, 05:34:13 PMSince this is my first meet with you guys. How will I pick you out when I get to the restaurant?

Folks will congregate outside the diner prior to going in. Just look for the group standing around in the parking lot.

As for me, I have neither a hard hat nor a reflective vest.

briantroutman

I was able to borrow two hard hats that my dad had from his days in structural engineering. So my head is covered and I can cover one other person. I think my car's emergency kit actually has a reflective vest in it, but I see that Home Depot is selling what I assume are decent quality 3M vests for about $10, so I might pick one up there. It would be useful to me in the future, I'm sure.

Quote from: JimmyI395 on September 10, 2018, 05:34:13 PM
How will I pick you out when I get to the restaurant?

Well...we'll probably be at the only extra large table with seating for 20. But I'll make sure that all of the waitstaff know that anyone looking for the "road meet group"  should be directed over to where I am. Here's a photo from Jason Ilyes's 2016 Central PA road meet. I'm the one at the far left of the photo standing (not crouching). I'll also probably be wearing one of these buttons that each of the attendees will get.

JimmyI395

Quote from: signalman on September 10, 2018, 06:33:23 PM
Quote from: JimmyI395 on September 10, 2018, 05:34:13 PMSince this is my first meet with you guys. How will I pick you out when I get to the restaurant?

Folks will congregate outside the diner prior to going in. Just look for the group standing around in the parking lot.

As for me, I have neither a hard hat nor a reflective vest.

Also, 02 Park Ave, please don't use purple.  That tends to piss off the staff since they use that color to make points when members are breaking rules or similar situations.

Thanks.

iPhone

kevinb1994

What about the De Lorenzo's location in Robbinsville? I suggested that location to my family once after missing out on a Trenton Thunder game due to a rain-out, but when we decided to check it out the line was already out the door and so we decided to eat at the Centro Grille instead.

briantroutman

Quote from: kevinb1994 on September 10, 2018, 06:58:59 PM
What about the De Lorenzo's location in Robbinsville?

OK...after looking a bit deeper, I'm a little confused. I see that the location on Sloan Avenue is "DeLorenzo's Pizza - "Home of the Trenton Tomato Pie" , and then separately, there's "(The original and the only) De
Lorenzo's Tomato Pies
"  which has locations in Robbinsville and Yardley. I'm guessing I've stumbled onto some kind of family feud that goes back a century or something of the sort.

Which location we go to doesn't matter a great deal to me–I'm basically ignorant when it comes to Trenton tomato pies, and I'm happy to go wherever the group would like to go. That said, the location on Sloan Avenue probably would be slightly more convenient for people headed back to Pennsylvania or south/west after the meet.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I just have a Phillies ball cap & a LSU ball cap.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

jpi

Have fun guys, again I plan on making my own road trip out there in 2 weeks from this Wednesday, I may keep the diner in mind for my own lunch stop.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Alps

Quote from: briantroutman on September 10, 2018, 07:23:37 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on September 10, 2018, 06:58:59 PM
What about the De Lorenzo's location in Robbinsville?

OK...after looking a bit deeper, I'm a little confused. I see that the location on Sloan Avenue is "DeLorenzo's Pizza - "Home of the Trenton Tomato Pie" , and then separately, there's "(The original and the only) De
Lorenzo's Tomato Pies
"  which has locations in Robbinsville and Yardley. I'm guessing I've stumbled onto some kind of family feud that goes back a century or something of the sort.

Which location we go to doesn't matter a great deal to me–I'm basically ignorant when it comes to Trenton tomato pies, and I'm happy to go wherever the group would like to go. That said, the location on Sloan Avenue probably would be slightly more convenient for people headed back to Pennsylvania or south/west after the meet.
From reviews I would probably suggest not Sloan Ave. Robbinsville might not be terrible on a Thursday but I don't know. If I come I'll have my own PPE and will meet you guys by 2 at the talk.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 30, 2018, 02:49:06 PM
Cannot make it, much though I would love to. 

Have a must-attend meeting at work that will run all afternoon on the 13th.

The must-attend meeting for the 13th was cancelled because many of the attendees will be dealing with the pending hurricane impacts in Virginia and Maryland.  So I will be there.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: briantroutman on September 10, 2018, 05:20:54 PM
I got an update from my contact at the PTC, and she had a request for me–she asked if the attendees had hard hats and reflective vests and could bring them for the tour. I told her that I doubted that most would have them, but I said I'd ask nonetheless. If you have a hard hat and reflective vest or could borrow one easily, please do. And if by chance you have access to multiple and could bring extras, that would be most appreciated. Whether you can bring either, both, or neither, I'd appreciate if you'd post to the thread or send me a quick email so I have some idea how many attendees will need them.

I have my  own hard hat and a few Virginia-standard vests that I can bring.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Gerns106

tckma

I have neither a hard hat nor a safety vest.

Re: Florence, I am kicking myself for not checking the backup battery on my sump pump before I left for work this week... but the pump itself was working fine this weekend and I bought a new backup battery in April, so I think I'm good.  We don't tend to lose power that often anyway, which surprises me as we have overhead power lines.

tckma

Off-topic-ish... I got an email from my homeowner's insurance provider that Maryland has declared a State of Emergency.  Has Pennsylvania?  How will we find out if the meet is cancelled due to weather (which I'm not expecting)?  I'll just stay at work anyway since I'm already worried about making up the hours I'm taking off for the meet.

Roadsguy

My forecast only says mostly cloudy for Philadelphia, though for where I am it says thunderstorms that day.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.