News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Where will be the newest major city?

Started by MantyMadTown, August 07, 2018, 10:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bing101 on February 19, 2019, 08:20:20 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 07, 2018, 11:35:23 PM
The Fresno Metro Area was around 973,000 the last time I looked.   Certainly wouldn't have thought that moving here, certainly doesn't feel that way now.  Apparently the population in the City of Fresno has jumped from 217,000 in 1980 to about 500,000 today.

Wow what's amazing here is that Fresno city proper is the largest city in the Central Valley and its technically bigger than Sacramento though.
I would have guessed Sacramento City proper though as the central valleys largest city though until I looked at population list though for Sacramento city and Sacramento county though.

Its pretty interesting, you definitely wouldn't know Fresno was that large from CA 99 as most of the growth has been northward and eastward.  Sacramento as a metro area has way more sprawl, especially along I-80.  There will probably come a time when the Fresno Area connects to Sanger but I don't see that being particularly quick given how little the farm community tends to sell their land to developers.

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 19, 2019, 11:48:48 AM
The Fresno Metro Area was around 973,000 the last time I looked.   Certainly wouldn't have thought that moving here, certainly doesn't feel that way now.  Apparently the population in the City of Fresno has jumped from 217,000 in 1980 to about 500,000 today.

Wow what's amazing here is that Fresno city proper is the largest city in the Central Valley and its technically bigger than Sacramento though.
I would have guessed Sacramento City proper though as the central valleys largest city though until I looked at population list though for Sacramento city and Sacramento county though.

Its pretty interesting, you definitely wouldn't know Fresno was that large from CA 99 as most of the growth has been northward and eastward.  Sacramento as a metro area has way more sprawl, especially along I-80.  There will probably come a time when the Fresno Area connects to Sanger but I don't see that being particularly quick given how little the farm community tends to sell their land to developers.

Although incorporated Sacramento is somewhat smaller in population than incorporated Fresno, it seems considerably larger because it segues seamlessly into the multitude of other cities immediately surrounding it: Citrus Heights, Orangevale, Rancho Cordova, Elk Grove, etc.  Fresno's got Clovis and maybe Sanger (which is actually more of an exurb than a suburb) and some unincorporated communities surrounding it -- but it transitions into agricultural lands -- particularly to the west -- more quickly than does Sacramento.  The reticence of large agricultural businesses to give up their land for added housing, as Max cites above, is part and parcel of that; most of the development in and around Fresno has occurred northeast and east (the ag lands to the west and the San Joaquin River to the north comprise "natural" barriers to mass development there.  Also -- the fact that the Sacramento area transitions to rolling hills to the east rather than 25-30 miles of valley flatlands as seen further south has inhibited agricultural development in that area -- for better or worse, it's more suitable for housing.  The center of agriculture is well south of the urban areas or across the Sacramento River in Yolo County; the southeast side of Sacramento is dominated by industry, a large portion of which is food processing.  Contrast this to Fresno; where just outside the urbanized area are vast tracts of grapes and citrus -- the reason the area developed over a century ago in the first place.   

bing101

Quote from: sparker on February 19, 2019, 05:10:10 PM

Although incorporated Sacramento is somewhat smaller in population than incorporated Fresno, it seems considerably larger because it segues seamlessly into the multitude of other cities immediately surrounding it: Citrus Heights, Orangevale, Rancho Cordova, Elk Grove, etc.  Fresno's got Clovis and maybe Sanger (which is actually more of an exurb than a suburb) and some unincorporated communities surrounding it -- but it transitions into agricultural lands -- particularly to the west -- more quickly than does Sacramento.  The reticence of large agricultural businesses to give up their land for added housing, as Max cites above, is part and parcel of that; most of the development in and around Fresno has occurred northeast and east (the ag lands to the west and the San Joaquin River to the north comprise "natural" barriers to mass development there.  Also -- the fact that the Sacramento area transitions to rolling hills to the east rather than 25-30 miles of valley flatlands as seen further south has inhibited agricultural development in that area -- for better or worse, it's more suitable for housing.  The center of agriculture is well south of the urban areas or across the Sacramento River in Yolo County; the southeast side of Sacramento is dominated by industry, a large portion of which is food processing.  Contrast this to Fresno; where just outside the urbanized area are vast tracts of grapes and citrus -- the reason the area developed over a century ago in the first place.   

Also with Sacramento area you also have to include some areas like Solano County, CA where you see sprawl from Vacaville, Dixon and Fairfield where these areas are dealing with the suburban/exurban sprawl on the southwest side of the Sacramento Valley and this area has to deal with Bay Area and Sacramento commuters at the same time over affordable housing this may be a factor why Sacramento looks larger than Fresno though.

As far as I know Fresno tends to be known for truck traffic for agricultural goods on CA-99 though.

bing101

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/jan/28/where-world-newest-cities-look-same

An article on Newest Major cities. China, India and Sub-Saharan Africa were in the running for newest major cities though at the time the article was posted.

golden eagle

I'm gonna go with Huntsville, AL, and Northwest Arkansas.

sparker

Quote from: bing101 on February 19, 2019, 05:46:23 PM
Quote from: sparker on February 19, 2019, 05:10:10 PM

Also with Sacramento area you also have to include some areas like Solano County, CA where you see sprawl from Vacaville, Dixon and Fairfield where these areas are dealing with the suburban/exurban sprawl on the southwest side of the Sacramento Valley and this area has to deal with Bay Area and Sacramento commuters at the same time over affordable housing this may be a factor why Sacramento looks larger than Fresno though.

As far as I know Fresno tends to be known for truck traffic for agricultural goods on CA-99 though.

I'm going to venture that within 25-30 years there will be a circular area of dense population extending along I-680 from Benicia to Fairfield, I-80 to Sacramento, I-5/CA 99 south via Galt, Lodi, and Stockton to roughly Manteca/Ripon, then west through Tracy and then NW via Mountain House to Discovery Bay and Brentwood, where it connects to existing East Bay suburbia.  The only break will be the Yolo Bypass (and its southern ship channel extension) and possibly the Consumnes River floodplain between Elk Grove and Galt.  The rest will be interwoven suburbs with crossing traffic serving the Bay Area, Sacramento, and the Stockton/Modesto metro region.  Now whether it'll be a "well oiled machine" is yet to be determined!

kevinb1994

Quote from: golden eagle on June 18, 2019, 11:13:38 PM
I'm gonna go with Huntsville, AL, and Northwest Arkansas.
Looks like someone did their math! I'm gonna add Fort Wayne IN to the mix.

bing101

I am going for the Pearl Delta in China because its been mentioned to form a mega city.

planxtymcgillicuddy

It's already a major city, but the city I could see becoming a super-city (ala LA, NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, etc) is Atlanta
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: planxtymcgillicuddy on November 27, 2019, 12:16:35 AM
It's already a major city, but the city I could see becoming a super-city (ala LA, NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, etc) is Atlanta

That's a city I have genuinely never understood why it has so much appeal.  Is the city giving companies tax incentives to move to Atlanta?  It might be the most boring major U.S. City that I've been to.

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 27, 2019, 12:34:18 AM

That's a city I have genuinely never understood why it has so much appeal.  Is the city giving companies tax incentives to move to Atlanta?  It might be the most boring major U.S. City that I've been to.
It's not even that populated only about 500,000 in an area pretty close to what Detroit and Philly are in area. All the population is in the suburbs. I never understood the appeal there either. I found Houston to be a boring city too but I had more fun in Houston than Atlanta.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 27, 2019, 08:15:33 PM

It's not even that populated only about 500,000 in an area pretty close to what Detroit and Philly are in area. All the population is in the suburbs. I never understood the appeal there either. I found Houston to be a boring city too but I had more fun in Houston than Atlanta.

Dallas kind of falls into said category of non-descriptiveness.  Maybe I just don't get the fixation on modern suburban/urban sprawl based living?   At least in Florida the core city of the big metro areas; Tampa, Orlando and Miami had some uniqueness to them.  I actually really enjoyed  places like downtown Orlando and Ybor City because they were different but yet had something heritage wise that gave the overall city a pulse. 

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 27, 2019, 08:21:10 PM

Dallas kind of falls into said category of non-descriptiveness.  Maybe I just don't get the fixation on modern suburban/urban sprawl based living?   At least in Florida the core city of the big metro areas; Tampa, Orlando and Miami had some uniqueness to them.  I actually really enjoyed  places like downtown Orlando and Ybor City because they were different but yet had something heritage wise that gave the overall city a pulse.
I stayed in Ybor City when I was in Tampa in 2008. I thought it was unique and kind of liked it. I remember an arcade type mall there and riding a train. I walked the whole area.

Flint1979

Oh I forgot to comment on Dallas. It seemed like Houston a little bit. I found downtown Dallas to be more unique than downtown Houston. In Houston midtown and uptown seemed more interesting. I found the areas south of the 610 loop to be very boring along with gallena park on the east side. Sunnyside was probably the worst part of Houston I was in although my friend i was with had a cousin that lived in garden city off Montgomery that place looked like the projects.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 27, 2019, 08:25:13 PM

I stayed in Ybor City when I was in Tampa in 2008. I thought it was unique and kind of liked it. I remember an arcade type mall there and riding a train. I walked the whole area.

It always reminded me of a Main Street in a Gold Rush town in California way more than way you usually expect in Florida.  It definitely breaks up the mundane blandness of modern building designs.  With Dallas and Houston I really couldn't find anything unique I couldn't find other modern cities.  At least San Antonio has a lot of history to offer even though it is kind cliche at this point.  El Paso has some decent hiking opportunities that elevate it up the charts as well in my book.  Las Cruces is the big up and coming city on the New Mexico side, that is a really nice place to go if you like National Monuments nearby. 

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 27, 2019, 08:33:08 PM

It always reminded me of a Main Street in a Gold Rush town in California way more than way you usually expect in Florida.  It definitely breaks up the mundane blandness of modern building designs.  With Dallas and Houston I really couldn't find anything unique I couldn't find other modern cities.  At least San Antonio has a lot of history to offer even though it is kind cliche at this point.  El Paso has some decent hiking opportunities that elevate it up the charts as well in my book.  Las Cruces is the big up and coming city on the New Mexico side, that is a really nice place to go if you like National Monuments nearby.
I liked that about it. I thought it was like an old western movie. San Antonio is the only mega city I haven't been to in Texas unless you want to count El Paso but I consider that more of a large city than a mega city.

When I went to Austin I never went downtown, stayed on the edge of town and spent the night in Bastrop. That was kind of boring.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 27, 2019, 08:42:56 PM

I liked that about it. I thought it was like an old western movie. San Antonio is the only mega city I haven't been to in Texas unless you want to count El Paso but I consider that more of a large city than a mega city.

When I went to Austin I never went downtown, stayed on the edge of town and spent the night in Bastrop. That was kind of boring.

Austin has more of a pulse but it's still edging towards being more a modern hipster crowd type thing.  I thought it was an okay visit the last time I was there but not quite the rave worthy destination it gets touted as.  On the whole for as much hype Texas tends to get it really isn't all that exciting of a state unless you are really willing to get off the grid in the western mountain ranges. 

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 27, 2019, 08:47:41 PM

Austin has more of a pulse but it's still edging towards being more a modern hipster crowd type thing.  I thought it was an okay visit the last time I was there but not quite the rave worthy destination it gets touted as.  On the whole for as much hype Texas tends to get it really isn't all that exciting of a state unless you are really willing to get off the grid in the western mountain ranges.
I think for me most of it was making the mistake of staying in Bastrop. I like staying downtown and on Houston I stayed at a holiday inn downtown but still had to drive most places. The Toyota Center was a block away so I went to a Rockets game while I was there.

One thing I remember from my Houston trip could have happened anywhere. My friend I was with likes to drink and was pretty wasted at 5 in the morning but I was sober and hungry so I told him the next restaurant I see open I'm stopping. So up comes a Waffle House and I thought sweet I'll just get a cheese steak omelette so we go in and sit at the counter and the server asks both of us what we want to drink I said I just want a water and my friend says I'll have a cranberry vodka I just started laughing and the server says we dont serve that here sir and my friend says well in that case I'll just have a water.

kurumi

Quote from: Rothman on November 28, 2018, 01:24:10 PM
Drank two tablespoons of Mountain Dew on a late night drive down to Tennessee for the eclipse and that's all I needed to be safe.

As my father says, keep your exposure low and you keep the required dose low. :D

Sorry it's a year later, but, that just reminded me of a Hunter S. Thompson story:

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the two tablespoons of Mountain Dew began to take hold.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

TheGrassGuy

Are we just talking about the US? Harare, Rwanda, and Panama City, Panama are two cities outside of the US in developing countries.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

dvferyance

Quote from: Tonytone on November 25, 2018, 11:11:56 PM
Wilmington, De. It is being reinvented & new companies are moving in.

iPhone
I was really surprised to see that Wilmington only has 70,000 in population I thought it would be around 130,000 or so. Is it because there is a lot of developed unincorporated land around it?

Tonytone

Quote from: dvferyance on December 02, 2019, 01:44:32 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on November 25, 2018, 11:11:56 PM
Wilmington, De. It is being reinvented & new companies are moving in.

iPhone
I was really surprised to see that Wilmington only has 70,000 in population I thought it would be around 130,000 or so. Is it because there is a lot of developed unincorporated land around it?
Between heavy crime for years, no development in the city & the event in the 1960's (National guard was in the city for a year) that caused the city it self to decline is the reason why the current population is @70,000. Also the city not having enough power back in the day to annex areas around the city.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Road Hog

San Antonio is hardly a mega city. It's the easiest large city to drive in the whole state. (As long as you avoid 281 North.)

sparker

Las Cruces is the big up and coming city on the New Mexico side, that is a really nice place to go if you like National Monuments nearby. 

And they've got New Mexico State, which features their very unique chili pepper development program (the now-famous Hatch Valley peppers emerged from that program).  For some odd reason they never really got into the race to hybridize the hottest pepper available -- for that, you had to head east to South Carolina (the infamous Carolina Reaper!).  Fun stuff!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on December 05, 2019, 06:32:02 PM
Las Cruces is the big up and coming city on the New Mexico side, that is a really nice place to go if you like National Monuments nearby. 

And they've got New Mexico State, which features their very unique chili pepper development program (the now-famous Hatch Valley peppers emerged from that program).  For some odd reason they never really got into the race to hybridize the hottest pepper available -- for that, you had to head east to South Carolina (the infamous Carolina Reaper!).  Fun stuff!

I would usually stop in Hatch for chili peppers whenever work travel brought me to to T or C.   Suffice to say stopping in Hatch made taking NM 26 even more worthwhile as a Las Cruces Bypass. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.