News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-49 Coming to Missouri

Started by US71, August 04, 2010, 06:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: lamsalfl on December 18, 2012, 08:42:05 AM
Looks like Google is getting the I-49 shields up for Missouri.   

Yes. Including along Bruce Watkins: http://goo.gl/maps/0Wfg0

But not along the Pineville-Joplin section  http://goo.gl/maps/qi0r5
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Molandfreak

Quote from: US71 on December 19, 2012, 10:03:46 PM
Quote from: lamsalfl on December 18, 2012, 08:42:05 AM
Looks like Google is getting the I-49 shields up for Missouri.   

Yes. Including along Bruce Watkins: http://goo.gl/maps/0Wfg0

But not along the Pineville-Joplin section  http://goo.gl/maps/qi0r5

Shame, and you have to zoom way in to even see the road, let alone get an I-49 shield on there. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

apeman33

After driving a stretch of I-49 tonight, I've come to realize that two places where you go straight ahead to go onto a new route are marked as exits: I-49 southbound to MO-59 north of Diamond and I-49 northbound to MO-249. I don't think I've seen a place where going straight is marked as an exit even if the route number changes.

For instance, when I-235 northbound ends at I-135 in Wichita, the roadway becomes K-254. But there's no exit number for it.

NE2

Quote from: apeman33 on December 20, 2012, 03:20:50 AM
I don't think I've seen a place where going straight is marked as an exit even if the route number changes.
Shitty photo, but here's I-95 south/128 south at I-93:
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Scott5114

After driving a stretch of I-49 tonight, I've come to realize that two places where you go straight ahead to go onto a new route are marked as exits: I-49 southbound to MO-59 north of Diamond and I-49 northbound to MO-249. I don't think I've seen a place where going straight is marked as an exit even if the route number changes.

For instance, when I-235 northbound ends at I-135 in Wichita, the roadway becomes K-254. But there's no exit number for it.

I have seen a couple instances of these, some even with an exit sign in the gore, with the arrow pointing angled left like it's a left exit.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bugo

Going straight from I-44 east to I-244 east is an exit.  I'm not sure if I-44 east to US 412 east is a numbered exit or not.

UPDATE: Looks like it isn't:

US71

Quote from: bugo on December 20, 2012, 07:55:33 PM
Going straight from I-44 east to I-244 east is an exit.  I'm not sure if I-44 east to US 412 east is a numbered exit or not.

Cherokee Turnpike has exit numbers, but Alt 412 has no exit number at the East or West End. Only at Rose (#17)

Scott5114

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 21, 2012, 07:44:04 PM
Quote from: US71 on December 20, 2012, 08:23:30 PM
Cherokee Turnpike has exit numbers

This is new.

I only got one last time I was in the area since it was getting too dark

Stratuscaster

Heading southbound on I-290 East in the Chicago Suburbs - if you continue "straight" in what most would consider the "mainline lanes" you actually are on the left exit for I-355 South, Exit 7. http://goo.gl/maps/xTu5y

mcdonaat

I don't think I've seen a place where going straight is marked as an exit even if the route number changes.
http://goo.gl/maps/iMEZx
I-110 ending at I-10.

amroad17

The I-74/I-80 bump in Rock Island, IL, I-75 south/I-375 in Detroit, and I-81 north/I-78 east near Hershey, PA.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

mgk920

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 20, 2012, 05:01:30 AM

I have seen a couple instances of these, some even with an exit sign in the gore, with the arrow pointing angled left like it's a left exit.

At the 'outbound' Edens-Kennedy split in Chicago, even though it is an even 3x3 split, the I-90 course (the Kennedy towards ORD and Rockford, on the left) is signed as the 'exit' and I-94 (the Edens towards Milwaukee on the right) is considered the mainline.

Mike

Revive 755

Both of those spots would be eliminated if MoDOT eventually relocates I-49 to the MO 249 corridor as they have indicated an interest in doing - but then there might be a new one at the current I-49/MO 96/MO 171 interchange depending on the new design.

Grzrd

This TV video report reports that, in the transition from US 71 to I-49, Grandview was removed from some BGS's, and that Grandview is working with MoDOT to have its name returned on ten of the signs:

When U.S. Highway 71 switched to Interstate 49 in December, Grandview, MO, residents noticed something was missing.
Large green traffic signs that hung across the former highway used to include Grandview on their list of where the roadway goes.
"It took us all by surprise that the name Grandview, that had been on the signs all those years. If you were headed south, you were headed to Grandview. Now you're headed to Joplin," Grandview Mayor Steve Dennis said.
Dennis is working with the Missouri Department of Transportation to bring Grandview back to the 10 signs on connecting highways ....
The MoDOT project manager for the I-49 project said interstate signage usually lists what they call control cities, in this case Kansas City and Joplin. MoDOT is working to get Grandview back on the signs, but that means larger signs. Right now they're making sure the trusses can support the larger signs.
"It was an oversight, not something malicious by MoDOT, in fact MoDOT has been a tremendous partner with us in the past few years," Dennis said ....
MoDOT hopes to have the new signs up early this summer. They don't know exactly how much the project will cost.

route56

You know, this forum has yet to see a state-name I-49 shield.....

Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

US71

Quote from: route56 on February 04, 2013, 11:50:18 PM
You know, this forum has yet to see a state-name I-49 shield.....

O Tamandua

Foolish question but...has dirt even started to be moved yet on the Pineville-to-Arkansas-line section of the Missouri side of the future I-49 Bella Vista bypass?  There's a lot of work being done already around Hiwasse, AR (trivia answer: Caverna (area in Missouri right above Bella Vista along U.S. 71) used to get their mail delivery from Hiwasse even though they were across the state line, so remote was this area as recently as three decades ago) with three bridges under construction and ground being plowed to the north toward Missouri.

On the "mid-south" forum here an article says that money for this on the Arkansas side will start pouring in from new taxes around August.  No work that I can see has been started between the east side of Hiwasse linking this to I-540 at the Bella Vista/Bentonville city limit.  That area is more developed and will be perhaps more of a challenge.  Just curious to see when earth movers will start working between Pineville and Hiwasse.  I don't envy them in that endeavor...pretty rugged country there.

(EDIT: Bella Vista I-49 bypass thread current last page on the "Mid-south" forum here: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3324.325 )

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on May 28, 2012, 08:06:48 PM
In looking at MoDOT's 2013-17 Draft STIP, I noticed what appears to be a Bella Vista Bypass project slated for the 7/2014 to 6/2015 time period (page 11/27 of pdf):
Quote from: O Tamandua on April 25, 2013, 01:14:19 PM
...has dirt even started to be moved yet on the Pineville-to-Arkansas-line section of the Missouri side of the future I-49 Bella Vista bypass?
Quote from: Gordon on May 05, 2013, 10:29:28 PM
I see where M0DOT has moved up there STIP for the Bella Vista Bypass to Start in the Fall of 2014. Job # 7PO601 has construction money to start there part. So Arkansas has made them feel they will work on the 2 lanes early in the 1/2 cent sales tax construction.
(bottom quote from I-49 in AR (Bella Vista, Fort Smith) thread)

As Gordon has already noted in the other thread, MoDOT has posted its Draft 2014-2018 Highway and Bridge Construction Schedule and the Bella Vista Bypass Award Date has been moved up from 2015 to Fall 2014 (page 14/26 of pdf (McDonald County)):

Grzrd

This video report reports on the conversion of the 30th road overpass near Lamar into an interchange at Interstate 49:

MODOT Project Manager Sean Matlock looks at Barton County's latest construction project ....
Crews will build on and off ramps to convert the 30th road overpass into an interchange at Interstate 49 ....
"They saw this as something to decrease the congestion at the 160 and I-49 interchange," says Matlock ....
The project is set to be complete by the end of December.

Also, this article reports that a public open house was held on May 9 (the online meeting will continue until May 23) to share the plans and receive comments about a possible new interchange at 211th Street and Interstate 49 near Peculiar:

Construction could begin in the spring of 2015 on a new highway interchange at 211th Street and Interstate 49, along with improvements to 211th Street, School Road and Peculiar Drive.
The idea is to offer greater access to I-49 by relieving congestion at the Route C/J interchange, to provide a more direct route to the Raymore-Peculiar school campus and to foster economic growth. The project is estimated to cost about $12 million.
As part of the planning process, the Missouri Department of Transportation and the city will host a public open house May 9 to share plans and take comments.
The meeting will be from 5 to 7 p.m. at Shull Elementary School, 11706 E. 211th St. in Peculiar. No formal presentation will be made, but residents can drop in when they like and see the concepts for the interchange.
An online public meeting will be available at www.modot.org/kansascity/major_projects/211thStreet.htm from May 9 to May 23.

ShawnP

To be honest I don't approve of a new interchange at this point. Six lanning is needed all the way to the North Cass Parkway first along with Jersey barriers. Some very bad cross overs have occurred there over the years. I lived in Belton from 04-06 and even then US-71 was very busy to MO-58.

Scott5114

Quote from: ShawnP on May 14, 2013, 09:53:35 PM
To be honest I don't approve of a new interchange at this point. Six lanning is needed all the way to the North Cass Parkway first along with Jersey barriers. Some very bad cross overs have occurred there over the years. I lived in Belton from 04-06 and even then US-71 was very busy to MO-58.

I lost two cousins to such an accident near the C/J interchange in Peculiar.

Darkchylde

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 15, 2013, 06:38:04 PM

Yeah, that median there is just way too narrow. I didn't get a chance going through there to see if they had median cables up, but even then. Something more's needed.

Scott5114

Quote from: Darkchylde on May 17, 2013, 12:25:52 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 15, 2013, 06:38:04 PM

Yeah, that median there is just way too narrow. I didn't get a chance going through there to see if they had median cables up, but even then. Something more's needed.

At the time, there definitely were none (it was the late 1990s).

roadman65

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNS5ZHQZPAg

Take a look at this archived video I found from a local Kansas City area news agency.   View the whole video, and then tell me what is so wrong about it as a big error has been committed in it?  No its not the photography or anything to do with broadcasting.  Care to see what it is?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.