News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Dibs

Started by Brandon, November 27, 2018, 01:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonytone

Promoting Cities since 1998!

roadman

Quote from: hbelkins on November 27, 2018, 05:27:11 PM
Don't live somewhere that you have to rely on street parking and not have your own private place to park your car.

We had an issue a few years ago where we were repaving a one-way city street in one of our towns that is a state-maintained highway. We had to have the street completely cleared of vehicles before milling and paving could begin. I don't know where the street parkers ended up parking their cars, and I also don't remember if we had to have any of the cars towed or not. I certainly wouldn't want to live somewhere that forced me to park on the street and I didn't have my own driveway.

But unless local law allows for reserving spaces on streets for owners/occupants of certain houses, I can't see how this practice could even be considered acceptable. Common courtesy might dictate that you don't park in a spot that someone else cleared, but how is that enforceable?
City of Boston allows use of space savers for up to 48 hours after a declared snow emergency ends.  And I respectfully disagree with your assertion about "common courtesy" regarding cleared spaces.  We're talking about PUBLIC streets here, and the right of the public to use those streets extends to parking on those streets as well.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kphoger

Quote from: Tonytone on November 27, 2018, 07:47:56 PM

Tea Time?

See now, fear of vandalism would be the only thing keeping me from moving that table and chair into the lawn and parking in that spot.

Quote from: roadman on November 28, 2018, 09:25:29 AM
City of Boston allows use of space savers for up to 48 hours after a declared snow emergency ends.

It would not have occurred to me before this thread that saving a parking space on a public street was legal at all, anywhere.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

I think fear of vandalism is what the people in those cities rely on when they put out their household detritus to "reserve" spaces. It seems highly unlikely that any city law enforcement will give anyone a ticket for parking in a "saved" space, especially given the difficulty the space-saver would face in proving the object was there when the person parked. (Next thing we'll see will be people rigging up webcams and the like in order to post photos or video of "space-stealers.")
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on November 28, 2018, 09:52:41 AMIt would not have occurred to me before this thread that saving a parking space on a public street was legal at all, anywhere.
In both DC and Chicago, the only two cities where I've done this, it's legal for private citizens to put up no-parking signs that they've obtained from the city government in order to reserve sufficent space to park, say, a moving truck on a city street.  The trouble is that, in Chicago, they're completely unenforceable, and in DC, you have to beg a meter maid to ticket a car that's parked there, and they won't tow it.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 28, 2018, 09:57:24 AM
I think fear of vandalism is what the people in those cities rely on when they put out their household detritus to "reserve" spaces. It seems highly unlikely that any city law enforcement will give anyone a ticket for parking in a "saved" space, especially given the difficulty the space-saver would face in proving the object was there when the person parked. (Next thing we'll see will be people rigging up webcams and the like in order to post photos or video of "space-stealers.")

On a related note, it might be a good idea to rig up some cameras in your car to catch vandals, should you choose to park there.

(Your tag line is appropriate for this thread:  You never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed.)
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on November 28, 2018, 09:52:41 AM
City of Boston allows use of space savers for up to 48 hours after a declared snow emergency ends.

It would not have occurred to me before this thread that saving a parking space on a public street was legal at all, anywhere.

Me neither. I think a more appropriate alternative would be for cities to pass ordinances granting residents the right to park in certain parked spots and then post signs saying, "reserved parking for residents of 1234 This Street."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on November 28, 2018, 11:51:24 AM

Quote from: kphoger on November 28, 2018, 09:52:41 AM

Me neither. I think a more appropriate alternative would be for cities to pass ordinances granting residents the right to park in certain parked spots and then post signs saying, "reserved parking for residents of 1234 This Street."

Kind of like this but without the obvious restriction.
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on November 28, 2018, 11:51:24 AMI think a more appropriate alternative would be for cities to pass ordinances granting residents the right to park in certain parked spots and then post signs saying, "reserved parking for residents of 1234 This Street."

DC does something very similar: https://dmv.dc.gov/service/residential-parking-permits
Chicago does something very similar: http://www.chicityclerk.com/city-stickers-parking/about-parking-permits

It's far more prevalent in DC; thanks to its relatively compact geographic size, commuters from DC and VA were driving in, parking on residential streets, and walking to their office jobs to avoid paying to park in parking garages.  In Chicago, it's mainly limited to Wrigleyville, Lincoln Park, and other neighborhoods where street parking is at a premium due to many visitors driving there from outside the neighborhood.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 28, 2018, 12:16:54 PM
Wrigleyville

Early childhood memories of my dad hunting for a parking spot for Cubs games.

example of a sign
Male pronouns, please.

roadman

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 28, 2018, 12:16:54 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 28, 2018, 11:51:24 AMI think a more appropriate alternative would be for cities to pass ordinances granting residents the right to park in certain parked spots and then post signs saying, "reserved parking for residents of 1234 This Street."

DC does something very similar: https://dmv.dc.gov/service/residential-parking-permits
Chicago does something very similar: http://www.chicityclerk.com/city-stickers-parking/about-parking-permits

It's far more prevalent in DC; thanks to its relatively compact geographic size, commuters from DC and VA were driving in, parking on residential streets, and walking to their office jobs to avoid paying to park in parking garages.  In Chicago, it's mainly limited to Wrigleyville, Lincoln Park, and other neighborhoods where street parking is at a premium due to many visitors driving there from outside the neighborhood.
Boston, Cambridge, and other adjacent communities have resident parking permit programs.  Just another form of entitlement as far as I'm concerned.  Public streets should be accessible to all members of the public - and that includes parking.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kphoger

Quote from: roadman on November 28, 2018, 01:03:45 PM
resident parking permit programs.  Just another form of entitlement as far as I'm concerned.  Public streets should be accessible to all members of the public - and that includes parking.

I'm OK with posted, legal restrictions like that.  It's functionally not much different than having driveways but no on-street parking.  What I'm not OK with is letting everyone do it–snow storm or not.
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

Quote from: roadman on November 28, 2018, 01:03:45 PMBoston, Cambridge, and other adjacent communities have resident parking permit programs.  Just another form of entitlement as far as I'm concerned.

Doesn't bother me at all, I think the residents of that street should get, well, dibs on the spaces on that street.  The programs in DC and Chicago have exemptions for drivers visiting residents of that street or zone (though I wonder if that's getting abused thanks to AirBnb).

Quote from: roadman on November 28, 2018, 01:03:45 PMPublic streets should be accessible to all members of the public
They're not - see, e.g., Pennsylvania Avenue NW between 15th Street and 17th Street in DC.

kphoger

There are also handicap spaces, which are likewise signed and require a permit.
Male pronouns, please.

roadman

Quote from: kphoger on November 28, 2018, 01:26:02 PM
Which is the ONLY legitimate exception to my earlier statement.

1995hoo

I think the difference between requiring a parking permit and allowing "dibs" is that the permit doesn't necessarily guarantee you a space, much less a specific space. The "dibs" concept allows a resident to claim a particular spot and exclude anyone else from using it. That's a very different concept.

kphoger

Quote from: roadman on November 28, 2018, 01:28:25 PM
Quote from: kphoger on November 28, 2018, 01:26:02 PM
Which is the ONLY legitimate exception to my earlier statement.

?
Male pronouns, please.

english si

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 27, 2018, 06:25:10 PMDid they ever explain why Butters drops his pants and underwear to the floor when he's at the urinal?
No - it's just something Butters does because he's Butters.
Quote from: abefroman329 on November 27, 2018, 06:42:08 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on November 27, 2018, 06:30:40 PM
Not that I recall. Butters does take off his pants and underwear when he takes a dump, but that's because he sits facing the wall, using the toilet tank as a shelf for his book.
Jesus Christ.
They actually pass comment on that one* in the episode where Clyde's mom dies because Clyde didn't put the toilet seat down - the ghost of John Harrington (who, as inventor of the flush toilet, is being sued for the death of Clyde's mom) says that everyone has been using his invention wrong, except for Butters.

*which we only find out about in the episode.

kphoger

Butters does take off his pants and underwear when he takes a dump, but that's because he sits facing the wall, using the toilet tank as a shelf for his book.

I don't see how sitting backwards on a toilet requires removing one's pants anyway.  Pants go around your ankles, legs straddle the toilet, all is good.
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

I don't object to resident parking programs.  What causes me great concern are no-free-parking policies.

I recognize that they are the reality in large, densely populated cities, but as a car owner I would feel uncomfortable living in a property that did not have its own off-street parking, because that would leave me in a legally vulnerable position if vehicle immatriculation lapsed for some reason (e.g., couldn't buy license renewal decals because the jurisdiction requires emissions inspection and the car failed).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on November 28, 2018, 02:01:47 PM
Butters does take off his pants and underwear when he takes a dump, but that's because he sits facing the wall, using the toilet tank as a shelf for his book.

I don't see how sitting backwards on a toilet requires removing one's pants anyway.  Pants go around your ankles, legs straddle the toilet, all is good.
That wouldn't work if the toilet had a cistern.  Your pants would be resting on the part that connects the bowl to the cistern.  That's disgusting.

abefroman329

Quote from: english si on November 28, 2018, 01:53:36 PMJohn Harrington (...inventor of the flush toilet)
At least they didn't falsely claim the toilet was invented by John Crapper, which is a popular urban legend.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 28, 2018, 02:27:06 PM

That wouldn't work if the toilet had a cistern.  Your pants would be resting on the part that connects the bowl to the cistern.  That's disgusting.

??  Please explain.  To me, a toilet cistern is the same thing as a toilet tank–which would not be in contact with one's pants.
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on November 28, 2018, 02:32:17 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on November 28, 2018, 02:27:06 PM

??  Please explain.  To me, a toilet cistern is the same thing as a toilet tank–which would not be in contact with one's pants.
Where are your pants resting if they're around your ankles and you're straddling a toilet?

1995hoo

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.