News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 93 Signing Work

Started by bob7374, May 05, 2012, 04:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob7374

Quote from: bob7374 on August 01, 2013, 10:58:33 PM
Took a trip to Bridgewater to meet a friend for dinner. Took I-93 from Braintree to MA 24 to MA 106 and back. The MA 24 paving project between MA 139 and I-93/US 1 is almost complete. Work was still going on in the left lanes in the evening.

But back to I-93 between Braintree and Randolph. Though no new overhead signs have appeared there has been progress with the ground level signage. New town/city line signs have been installed that are bigger than past ones MassDOT has put up, but are mounted on one centered post. There are now 'Entering Quincy' and 'Entering Randolph' southbound and 'Entering Quincy' northbound. There still needs one more NB for the Braintree town line. A new sign has been placed northbound beyond the MA 37/Granite St bridge indicating that those heading for the Quincy Adams T Station (no logo) should use the Burgin Parkway exit. Is the T station info to be removed from the MA 3 Exit 19 overhead signage? New interchange signage has appeared for all ramps to I-93/US 1 from MA 28 (Exit 5). The sign information is not new but the signs are larger with bigger route shields.
I should have waited a day to remark about progress in installing the overhead signs. They started last night installing the support posts, as shown in this photo from this afternoon:

For more images of the new posts (specifically there were 3, 2 installed on I-93 North for MA 37 cantilever advance signs at 1 mile and 1/2 mile and on I-93 South on the right side for the overhead signs prior to the MA 28 North ramp) and of the other new signs mentioned above, visit my new I-93 photo page at http://www.gribblenation.net/mass21/i93photos.html. This page is part of a larger project still in progress, so sorry for any broken links.

PHLBOS

Quote from: bob7374 on August 02, 2013, 11:40:49 PMvisit my new I-93 photo page at http://www.gribblenation.net/mass21/i93photos.html. This page is part of a larger project still in progress, so sorry for any broken links.
I realize that this is semi-off-topic; but with regards to your unofficial future mile-marker-based exit numbers section for I-93, I have the following comment:

Given the fact that the first several exits along I-93 are close to a mile apart from eachother; I honestly believe that the first 13 (based on your mileage chart) exits (up to Freeport St.) will likely not change from their current numbers outside of the pull-through for I-95 North becoming Exit 1A (or B) and I-95 South becoming Exit 1B (or A). 

Similar was done along the southern end of I-95 in PA when the Keystone State adopted mile-marker based exit numbers a decade ago; one of two interchanges/ramps being located slightly outside the usual tolerance range of the mile markers.  The exit for US 322 West (Exit 3A) was originally planned to change to Exit 2A but PennDOT decided not to bother.  Similar held true for the Lansdale interchange off the PA Turnpike NE Extension (I-476).  Although the interchange is located right on Mile 30; the interchange kept it original Exit 31 number.   
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bob7374

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 05, 2013, 09:44:22 AM
Quote from: bob7374 on August 02, 2013, 11:40:49 PMvisit my new I-93 photo page at http://www.gribblenation.net/mass21/i93photos.html. This page is part of a larger project still in progress, so sorry for any broken links.
I realize that this is semi-off-topic; but with regards to your unofficial future mile-marker-based exit numbers section for I-93, I have the following comment:

Given the fact that the first several exits along I-93 are close to a mile apart from each other; I honestly believe that the first 13 (based on your mileage chart) exits (up to Freeport St.) will likely not change from their current numbers outside of the pull-through for I-95 North becoming Exit 1A (or B) and I-95 South becoming Exit 1B (or A). 
That may be the case. My list is unofficial, and is partly put up there to spark debate and eventually compare it to the actual numbers, when they are put up. I have put together lists for all Mass interstates as well as other current expressways. I plan to put the others up over the next month, sometimes in tandem with related route galleries where I have photos. The next list to be put up will probably be I-95.

MVHighways

Quote from: bob7374 on August 05, 2013, 03:06:18 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on August 05, 2013, 09:44:22 AM

Given the fact that the first several exits along I-93 are close to a mile apart from each other; I honestly believe that the first 13 (based on your mileage chart) exits (up to Freeport St.) will likely not change from their current numbers outside of the pull-through for I-95 North becoming Exit 1A (or B) and I-95 South becoming Exit 1B (or A). 
That may be the case. My list is unofficial, and is partly put up there to spark debate and eventually compare it to the actual numbers, when they are put up. I have put together lists for all Mass interstates as well as other current expressways. I plan to put the others up over the next month, sometimes in tandem with related route galleries where I have photos. The next list to be put up will probably be I-95.
As for those numbers...I think Exit 48 will become 45B and 47 to be 45A. Current 48 is actually at 45.2 if their milepost sign is right, and 47 is a few feet before 45.0, so I'll give the VERY low chance of 47 becoming 44, but that would be just under a mile off so I don't see it likely. Again, just my 2 cents.

roadman

I-93 south to I-95 south will indeed become Exit 1B, and I-93 south to I-95 north will indeed become Exit 1A.  However, it is my understanding that this change was actually supposed to happen as part of the add-a-lane work (if you look at the newly installed signs on I-93 south, you will see there's space on the exit tabs for the number/letter combos), and is not contingent upon MassDOT's eventual conversion to mileage-based exit numbers.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on August 05, 2013, 06:06:49 PM
I-93 south to I-95 south will indeed become Exit 1B, and I-93 south to I-95 north will indeed become Exit 1A.  However, it is my understanding that this change was actually supposed to happen as part of the add-a-lane work (if you look at the newly installed signs on I-93 south, you will see there's space on the exit tabs for the number/letter combos), and is not contingent upon MassDOT's eventual conversion to mileage-based exit numbers.
That being the case, why wasn't a blank left exit tab placed on the I-95 North pull-through BGS?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

southshore720

Great pictures Bob!  Keep it up!  I'm looking forward to better advance signage for the 93/3 split in both directions...  Maybe people will actually make an effort to move into the correct lanes ahead of time instead of the last minute!

hotdogPi

I have two questions about Interstate 93 in Massachusetts:

1. I thought interstate standards required exits to be more than 1 mile apart. How is this possible?

2. Why are the electronic signs in the sky always off? (They are often on if they are on the ground, and the New Hampshire ones are sometimes on.)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: 1 on August 10, 2013, 04:16:16 PM

1. I thought interstate standards required exits to be more than 1 mile apart. How is this possible?

Nope.

Quote2. Why are the electronic signs in the sky always off? (They are often on if they are on the ground, and the New Hampshire ones are sometimes on.)

I'm not on 93 enough to reliably speak for them, but the overhead message boards on 95 are regularly used to warn of lane closures for road work (Whittier Bridge and overpass work around exits 53-55).

I believe there are a few that do not work though, and apart from some targeted campaigns (recent ones include cell phone use, being aware of motorcycles, and keeping right except to pass), I believe it is MassDOT policy to leave them off unless there is a message to display.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

MVHighways

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on August 11, 2013, 12:26:49 AM

Nope.

Quote2. Why are the electronic signs in the sky always off? (They are often on if they are on the ground, and the New Hampshire ones are sometimes on.)

I'm not on 93 enough to reliably speak for them, but the overhead message boards on 95 are regularly used to warn of lane closures for road work (Whittier Bridge and overpass work around exits 53-55).

I believe there are a few that do not work though, and apart from some targeted campaigns (recent ones include cell phone use, being aware of motorcycles, and keeping right except to pass), I believe it is MassDOT policy to leave them off unless there is a message to display.
Well...if MassDOT wants to use the portable ground ones instead of the overheads...they're crazy. The Andover overhead /I believe VMS's if my memory recalls correctly/ north of exit 45 seems to always be off, and I live in the exit 46 area (right across the river).

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: MVHighways on August 11, 2013, 08:04:09 AM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on August 11, 2013, 12:26:49 AM

Nope.

Well...if MassDOT wants to use the portable ground ones instead of the overheads...they're crazy. The Andover overhead /I believe VMS's if my memory recalls correctly/ north of exit 45 seems to always be off, and I live in the exit 46 area (right across the river).

Like I said, there are a fair number that completely do not work. That may be one of them. Next time I'm at the traffic operations center I may ask if they have a list of broken ones.

You are correct though, MassDOT does generally prefer the portable ones. There are a few reasons for this:

• The new travel time signs are a trial system that is not integrated with the main message board system, which is why they're on portable signs. These also made rolling out travel times significantly cheaper than if they had to build new permanent overhead signs.
  • Generally any road work that needs a message board (Whittier Bridge, overpass replacement projects, even some paving projects) has a portable one included as part of the project, often provided by the contractor and included in their bid.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

bob7374

Back to I-93 signage. Drove out this morning to take some photos after my trip last Monday revealed much progress in installing support posts for the future overhead signs between Randolph and Braintree. Ended up disappointed though, nothing new has been placed since my last trip. Still need left-hand supports southbound and supports period for the MA 28 and MA 3 interchanges northbound. The only new construction last week was completing the foundation for the future 1 mile advance sign for Furnace Brook Parkway on I-93 north between the MA 3 South exit and MA 3 North merge.

Seeing little new on '128', I decided to venture up the SE Expressway, to see if there was something new to see there. I had spotted a new South I-93 reassurance marker replacing the previous one that stood between Southampton St and the Columbia Rd exit on Saturday during a trip to Boston. Turns out they replaced another I-93 shield that had stood south of Neponset Ave. since the early 1980's. Wasn't too impressed with it, can you find it in this photo:

First, the shield is much smaller, second its missing the south directional banner. Meanwhile, the contractors simply removed the remaining stand-alone shields after Columbia Road and after the off-ramp to MA 3A at Neponset Circle. There are now no old I-93 signs heading south. They also removed what was left of a South US 1 marker after Columbia Rd as well. I'm hoping there will be more progress this week on both the route shield and overhead sign fronts. To see other photos I took from today's trip visit the I-93 photo page at: http://www.gribblenation.net/mass21/i93photos.html

hotdogPi

Some things I noticed on the trip to Franconia Notch State Park yesterday:

Everything here is in New Hampshire.

Exits 1 to 2 going North were going REALLY slowly due to it being 2 lanes instead of 3. However, one sign said "expect minor delays". Those were not minor.

Exit 5's sign (going north) is ORANGE, not green.

Between two exits somewhere in the 20s, 93 North was a detour for 93 South.

Going south, somewhere in the 20s, there was "left lane closes", then 5 miles later, "right lane closes".
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: 1 on August 12, 2013, 12:25:45 PM
Exit 5's sign (going north) is ORANGE, not green.

Because it is a temporary sign in a temporary location that is part of a temporary interchange setup.
Orange is correct.

MVHighways

This is semi-related.. Signing replacement on I-495 is crawling. I've been on the majority of the road now thanks to a trip to the National Weather Service in Taunton - Exit 38 to Exit 9 I was on - and the remainder of the road northward to Salisbury/I-95 in another recent trip to our beach rental at Salisbury. Basically...nothing's been replaced south of, I'd say Haverhill or so.

massroadpatriot

Quote from: MVHighways on August 17, 2013, 05:25:08 AM
This is semi-related.. Signing replacement on I-495 is crawling. I've been on the majority of the road now thanks to a trip to the National Weather Service in Taunton - Exit 38 to Exit 9 I was on - and the remainder of the road northward to Salisbury/I-95 in another recent trip to our beach rental at Salisbury. Basically...nothing's been replaced south of, I'd say Haverhill or so.

Last I checked, it was actually Exit 54 to Exit 7. Unless things have changed since I've been down there last.

MVHighways

Quote from: massroadpatriot on August 17, 2013, 11:13:08 AM
Quote from: MVHighways on August 17, 2013, 05:25:08 AM

Last I checked, it was actually Exit 54 to Exit 7. Unless things have changed since I've been down there last.
Yeah, somewhere in that exit 54 vicinity. I keep forgetting the exact number, but I live near there, I could swear 53 and maybe 52 had new signs. As for your exit 7 comment, nothing new yet at exit 9 just to the north.

deathtopumpkins

I take exit 53 every morning, and nothing's changed as long as I've been taking it. Still an older generation of signs.

Same with exit 54. Exit 55, however, does have nice beautiful brand new signage. It's been a while since I've been south of exit 53 though.

bob7374

A short note about progress on the re-signing project on I-93 from Boston to Randolph. Had a ride back from Boston this evening along I-93 between I-90 and MA 3A (Neponset Circle). Nothing new to report on the mainline, however, the Mass Guide (aka paddle) signs have been updated over the past week or so  and now read I-93/US 1 North, Boston heading eastbound into Neponset Circle. The overheads in the vicinity still need to be changed. The only remaining surface signage that needs an update are those on Morrissey Blvd and at the southbound on-ramp across from Exit 14 NB.

MVHighways

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on August 18, 2013, 09:19:42 PM
I take exit 53 every morning, and nothing's changed as long as I've been taking it. Still an older generation of signs.

Same with exit 54. Exit 55, however, does have nice beautiful brand new signage. It's been a while since I've been south of exit 53 though.
Yeah, I knew it was in the 54/55 area. MassDOT is REALLY acting like a snail with this if they only have 55. I may be going back up towards 95 again soon so I'll check on that. My memory apparently corrupted me and made me forget. :P

shadyjay

Just drove 495 SB this morning from Salisbury down to the Mass Pike, and there are no new signs along that stretch.  I did notice NB new signs for 495's last exit but that's it.  Also in that whole stretch SB there was quite the mix of reassurance shields.  Most were small, only saw a couple of the former standard large variety.

roadman

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on August 18, 2013, 09:19:42 PM

The signs on I-495 NB at Exit 55 were last replaced as part of the previous I-95 sign project in the mid-1990s, which is why they were just updated again under the recently completed I-95 Georgetown to Salisbury work.

The signs between Methuen and Exit 55 were last replaced in the early 2000s.  They are scheduled to be replaced again beginning in late 2017-early 2018, pending funding.

As for other parts of I-495, design of a re-signing project between Lowell and Methuen (excluding the Marston Street/Commonwealth Drive interchange, which was done as part of the late 2000s reconstruction project) is nearing completion, with bids expected to be let by mid to late fall of 2013.  Preliminary design is also progressing on a re-signing project between Taunton and Bolton, which should be let for bids by mid to late 2014 - again, pending funding.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

shadyjay

Roadman,
Have you heard anything about any sign replacement on the 'pike?  Those signs between 128 and 18/19/20 are still button copy, aren't they?  And the ones to the west, they have been in place for at least since the early 90s.

Also drove down I-395 today after I-495.  Any reason as to why they've gone to overhead signs on 2-lane roads, where side-mounted signs would've done just fine?  Is this something to expect when the signs on I-91 north of Holyoke get replaced?  Seems like it would just add more to the project cost, where its not really necessary on a 2 lane road.  Actually it's not really necessary on a 4 lane road (see I-95/NH).  Are there rules in the MUTCD regarding placement of signs overhead vs side mounted?

PHLBOS

Quote from: shadyjay on August 21, 2013, 10:43:54 PMAny reason as to why they've gone to overhead signs on 2-lane roads
Guess on my part is that MassDOT now typically uses overhead BGS' for primary exit signs when the road in question is an Interstate even if it's only a 4-laner (2 each-direction).  Granted, there are some exceptions (example: BGS' for MA 4/225 (Exits 31A/B) along I-95, which is an 8-laner).

Roadman can either confirm/correct/add to the above as needed.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: shadyjay on August 21, 2013, 10:43:54 PM
Roadman,
Have you heard anything about any sign replacement on the 'pike?  Those signs between 128 and 18/19/20 are still button copy, aren't they?  And the ones to the west, they have been in place for at least since the early 90s.

Also drove down I-395 today after I-495.  Any reason as to why they've gone to overhead signs on 2-lane roads, where side-mounted signs would've done just fine?  Is this something to expect when the signs on I-91 north of Holyoke get replaced?  Seems like it would just add more to the project cost, where its not really necessary on a 2 lane road.  Actually it's not really necessary on a 4 lane road (see I-95/NH).  Are there rules in the MUTCD regarding placement of signs overhead vs side mounted?

At this time, sign replacement on the Mass Pike (I-90) is planned to begin in 2015 and 2016 under two contracts:  Exit 1 West Stockbridge to Exit 10 Auburn, and Exit 10A Millbury to Exits 18-19-20 Allston.  Under the second contract, the remaining mainline button copy signs will be replaced - note that the button copy signs on secondary roads within the Newton Corner and Newton Centre interchanges have just been replaced under the Weston-Newton-Boston sign contract.

It is current MassDOT policy to place all major guide signs on Interstates and freeways overhead (the only exception right now is Route 146 between Millbury and the RI line, which had its signs last updated just before the policy change).  This is to insure adequate visibilty for the life of the sign, and eliminates the need for eventual clearing and grubbing of brush - which has been in an issue on previous ground-mount installations.  The ground-mount signs on I-95 south prior to 4/225 in Lexington were put in as a temporary measure under the US 3 widening project, and are scheduled to be replaced with overhead signs on cantilever supports as part of the Wellesley to Lexington sign update project presently under construction.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.