Westside Parkway & Centennial Corridor (CA 58 realignment, Bakersfield)

Started by bing101, January 07, 2014, 10:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5280

Quote from: Occidental TouristI believe they're planning to align a freeway routing of 58 from the current end of Westside Parkway to I-5 on an alignment south of Stockdale Highway.  The question is whether they'll ever need it or if it will get cancelled before it gets built.

Judging by the overhead imagery in Google Earth it looks pretty obvious they've reserved ROW for a future extension going about half a mile South of Stockdale Highway. It looks like the extension would run roughly parallel to a canal moving farther West out of Bakersfield. It doesn't look like all the required ROW has been secured however. Still, some new residential developments getting built near the end of the Westside Parkway are respecting the boundaries of that possible freeway extension.

skluth

I found this which either is the 2014 Regional Transportation Plan or is at least referencing the document. It's from the Kern Council of Governments, whatever that entity may be. On page 3, there are maps of Kern County and Bakersfield; it shows the Westside Parkway is intended to run to the southwest towards I-5 and not directly west. However, on page 68 is a map of the Bakersfield Beltway System which shows it running straight west to I-5 and is backed by this text (bold text mine).

The SR 58 Connector will include operational improvements from Cottonwood Road to SR 99, and a new freeway will extend from the western terminus of the SR 58 Gap Closure to Westside Parkway. Westside Parkway begins about 1 mile east of SR 99, extends across the Kern River at Truxtun Avenue, and continues along the north side of the river, connecting with Stockdale Highway near Heath Road. The I-5 Connector will extend from the western terminus of Westside Parkway to I-5, parallel to Stockdale Highway. Initially, this section will consist of operational improvements on the existing Stockdale Highway. Together, these three projects constitute the Centennial Corridor.

It wouldn't surprise me if either option is chosen though the parallel route seems more likely than the SW alignment.

pderocco

Quote from: jtespi on August 09, 2022, 05:21:47 AM
I wonder if CalTrans eventually makes the Stockdale Hwy (CA-58) a full freeway, could they just do something similar to what KDOT did with I-35 in Emporia, Kansas?
KDOT made the freeway go over the roundabout to create a nice compact interchange. It uses a lot less space than a dumbbell interchange (2 roundabouts at the end of a normal diamond).

The Boston area has lots of those. They call them "rotaries" though, and they're usually a bit bigger.

pderocco

This new project seems to have a certain clumsiness to it. If you're coming down 99 and want to take the Westside Pkwy, there is no connection between 99 and Truxton Ave, and there will be no connection between Westside and California Ave, so you'll have to go way down and way back up. And now, no connection between Stockdale Hwy and either Westside or 99.

They shoulda built 58 as a straight line west decades ago, when they had the chance.

DTComposer

Apologies if this has already been mentioned...didn't see it upthread:

Signs on I-5 southbound have been updated to reflect the realignment. Mileage signs previously listed junction CA-58, then Los Angeles, now broken out to CA-58 West, CA-58 East, Los Angeles.

Exit 257 is now signed as CA-58 West/Buttonwillow; Exit 253 is now signed as CA-58 East/Stockdale Highway/Bakersfield.

In-the-mirror glances looked like signs on northbound I-5 have not been changed, but I'll confirm on my return trip.

SeriesE

Quote from: DTComposer on December 29, 2022, 03:11:47 PM

Signs on I-5 southbound have been updated to reflect the realignment. Mileage signs previously listed junction CA-58, then Los Angeles, now broken out to CA-58 West, CA-58 East, Los Angeles.

Exit 257 is now signed as CA-58 West/Buttonwillow; Exit 253 is now signed as CA-58 East/Stockdale Highway/Bakersfield.

In-the-mirror glances looked like signs on northbound I-5 have not been changed, but I'll confirm on my return trip.

I can confirm northbound exit signs have been changed as well since I drove that section recently.

andy3175

Quote from: SeriesE on December 29, 2022, 03:44:26 PM
Quote from: DTComposer on December 29, 2022, 03:11:47 PM

I can confirm northbound exit signs have been changed as well since I drove that section recently.
Agreed.  I saw those changes as well but was not able to get pictures. I did see an SR 58 east reassurance shield on Stockdale Highway east of Interstate 5.

SM-S908U

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

rschen7754

I went through a few days ago, and I did not see any sign changes on CA 99.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: rschen7754 on December 31, 2022, 12:25:02 PM
I went through a few days ago, and I did not see any sign changes on CA 99.

There definitely isn't any changes on CA 99.  I'm in Bakersfield for one thing or another every month.  I doubt any changes will take place until the Centennial Corridor gap is closed.

pderocco

Has the legislature already changed the definition of route 58, in anticipation of the completion of the corridor?

oscar

Quote from: pderocco on January 06, 2023, 02:29:54 AM
Has the legislature already changed the definition of route 58, in anticipation of the completion of the corridor?

Not yet. Maybe later this year, since the legislature reconvened just a few days ago, and completion of the corridor is not imminent. Also, it's not obvious that the route definition needs to be changed before the new corridor is opened to traffic. For a recent example, part of route 132 in Modesto was relocated in September, but the legislative definition remains unchanged.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

thsftw

Any guesses on how long it'll take the traffic volume on Stockdale increasing to warrant the final leg over to I-5? Especially since they've pretty much abandoned the push to get I-40 extended since it can't be chargeable for funding.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thsftw on January 06, 2023, 03:11:55 PM
Any guesses on how long it'll take the traffic volume on Stockdale increasing to warrant the final leg over to I-5? Especially since they've pretty much abandoned the push to get I-40 extended since it can't be chargeable for funding.

The last time any serious exploration of extending I-40 west took place was 1968.  In that sense the "they"  would be the long defunct Division of Highways and California Highway Commission.

Henry

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 06, 2023, 03:17:13 PM

The last time any serious exploration of extending I-40 west took place was 1968.  In that sense the "they"  would be the long defunct Division of Highways and California Highway Commission.
If the Westside Parkway extension to I-5 ever comes to be, it'll likely take several decades before it actually gets constructed. Considering how Caltrans still hasn't signed I-210 and I-905 over their respective SR designations and will probably not pursue I-7/I-9 for the CA 99 upgrades, most of us will be dead by then.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Henry on January 06, 2023, 08:47:32 PM

If the Westside Parkway extension to I-5 ever comes to be, it'll likely take several decades before it actually gets constructed. Considering how Caltrans still hasn't signed I-210 and I-905 over their respective SR designations and will probably not pursue I-7/I-9 for the CA 99 upgrades, most of us will be dead by then.

Interesting to note that Caltrans withdrew their AASHTO and FHWA applications to extend I-210 back during the late 1990s.  They never bothered to reapply and don't have approval to swap CA 210 shields out for I-210. 

Regarding CA 99, I likely will be close enough to Interstate standard in the next decade or two.  I doubt it's worth the effort for modern Caltrans and the CTC to pursue a non-chargeable Interstate designation.  That's a lot of signage to swap for a highway that is getting close to carrying the same number for a century. 

rschen7754

There's still two at-grade intersections between Bakersfield and Mojave (1 of which is CA 223), and several minor ones between Mojave and Kramer Junction. Those would have to be addressed as well.

brad2971

Quote from: rschen7754 on January 07, 2023, 01:29:40 AM

There's still two at-grade intersections between Bakersfield and Mojave (1 of which is CA 223), and several minor ones between Mojave and Kramer Junction. Those would have to be addressed as well.

As far as the at-grade intersections between the East Mojave interchange and I-15, there are cost-effective ways of closing those intersections without affecting the side-traffic that much. It would all depend on how Caltrans feels about putting triple-cable barrier in the median of CA 58, and using Jersey barriers to close the side roads off. In one instance, an at-grade intersection connects California City Blvd with CA 58, and the city or Kern County can easily direct traffic to the interchange that serves Edwards AFB a mile east of that intersection.

sprjus4

^ You can close off intersections, but how would you provide access to all of those properties now being severed from CA-58?

Concrete Bob

Max Rockatansky

At least east of Mojave there isn't a ton of benefit or enhancement that closing off at-grade intersections is going being.  My wish list would just be CA 223 and Bealville Road. 

sprjus4

Quote from: Concrete Bob on January 07, 2023, 12:01:33 PM
Frontage roads?
Exactly, which would be more than just closing off side road. You'd need miles of new construction.

pderocco

What does the construction of that extension, designated as CA-58, have to do with converting anything to an interstate?

I fully expect we'll see the Parkway extended to I-5 some time in this decade. As soon as trucks can bypass the many traffic lights on Rosedale Hwy, and only suffer a shorter stretch of rural Stockdale Hwy, the demand for the full extension will be much greater. And I think no one will be surprised by that.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: pderocco on January 08, 2023, 04:16:40 AM

What does the construction of that extension, designated as CA-58, have to do with converting anything to an interstate?

I fully expect we'll see the Parkway extended to I-5 some time in this decade. As soon as trucks can bypass the many traffic lights on Rosedale Hwy, and only suffer a shorter stretch of rural Stockdale Hwy, the demand for the full extension will be much greater. And I think no one will be surprised by that.

There is a phenomenon going on in the greater road world that somehow has it that I-40 is destined to reach I-5.  I'm not sure how it started, but for awhile it even ended up on the CA 58 Wikipedia page.  I attribute it to the human mind looking for symmetry and patterns, CA 58 seems to be a layup for that kind of thinking. 

Bobby5280

That "phenomenon" about CA-58 and I-40 has been going for many years because anyone can look at a road map and clearly see CA-58 is a continuation of that I-40 corridor.

Then there's the issue that Bakersfield (pop 403,000; 909,000 MSA) is arguably a more legit destination for I-40 than Barstow (pop 25,000). For other cities in the central valley I-40 is the main highway outlet going East out of California. Fresno is more populous than Bakersfield. The existing CA-58 highway from Bakersfield to Barstow is a major trucking route.

Signing I-40 to I-5 is one thing. Regardless of whether that ever happens that existing CA-58 corridor between I-5 and Barstow really needs to be 100% limited access and Interstate quality, partly out of the interest of safety. Having at-grade intersections and driveways on that highway is hazardous.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Bobby5280 on January 08, 2023, 03:13:09 PM
That "phenomenon" about CA-58 and I-40 has been going for many years because anyone can look at a road map and clearly see CA-58 is a continuation of that I-40 corridor.

Then there's the issue that Bakersfield (pop 403,000; 909,000 MSA) is arguably a more legit destination for I-40 than Barstow (pop 25,000). For other cities in the central valley I-40 is the main highway outlet going East out of California. Fresno is more populous than Bakersfield. The existing CA-58 highway from Bakersfield to Barstow is a major trucking route.

Signing I-40 to I-5 is one thing. Regardless of whether that ever happens that existing CA-58 corridor between I-5 and Barstow really needs to be 100% limited access and Interstate quality, partly out of the interest of safety. Having at-grade intersections and driveways on that highway is hazardous.

The way I look at the matter is like this:

-  US 101 between Santa Barbara and Gilroy has numerous expressway segments with numerous heavily utilized at-grade intersections.
-  It wasn't until 2016 that the last at-grade intersections on CA 99 between Sacramento and Wheeler Ridge were closed out (between Chowchilla and Merced).

Considering the above, with how little the at-grade intersections on CA 58 are east of CA 14 I don't think there is a chance in hell they are ever going to be closed off. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.