I-15 in North Las Vegas will expand to 8 lanes

Started by Kniwt, September 19, 2016, 06:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kniwt

The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports on a 5-mile project that was announced today:
http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/traffic-transportation/ndot-plans-338m-widening-i-15-between-craig-road-speedway

QuoteTwo lanes will be added in each direction of Interstate 15 between Craig Road and Speedway Boulevard in North Las Vegas, aimed at alleviating massive traffic jams caused during NASCAR race days and the Electric Daisy Festival, the Nevada Department of Transportation announced Monday.

Construction is expected to start in October on the $33.8 million widening project, which also calls for brighter lights, new signs, landscaping improvements and seismic upgrades to four overpass bridges along the five-mile stretch of freeway.

... About 41,600 vehicles travel daily along I-15 between Craig and Speedway, a number expected to increase by roughly 71 percent by 2033, NDOT officials said.

Max Rockatansky

That's a welcome addition, that stretch always gets back up during events and is a total pain in the ass if you are through traffic.

roadfro

This stretch is Phase 2 of a much larger, long-term, overall I-15 North project, which encompasses I-15 between the US 95 (Spaghetti Bowl) interchange and Apex.
  • Phase 1 was the "I-15 North Design-Build" project, which was completed several years ago. It widened I-15 from six to ten lanes (between US 95 and Lake Mead Blvd) and four to eight lanes (Lake Mead Blvd to Craig Road), rebuilt the Lake Mead Blvd interchange, and braided ramps between US 95 and D St/Washington Ave.
  • CURRENT - Phase 2 is the widening of I-15 between Craig Road and Speedway Blvd. (Note: Original scope might have been widening from four to six lanes, instead of the current four to eight project.)
  • Phase 3 will widen I-15 to six lanes between Speedway Blvd and the Apex interchange. (North Las Vegas is looking to add a large industrial complex out this direction, and there may or may not still be some plans in the works for a new master planned housing community out that way.)
  • Phase 4 will modify the I-15/CC-215 interchange into a freeway-to-freeway interchange, and complete a service interchange with Range Road.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

The Ghostbuster

Are Toll Lanes of any kind part of the project? If not, should they be? Would it help any?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 20, 2016, 06:29:30 PM
Are Toll Lanes of any kind part of the project? If not, should they be? Would it help any?

I think that have certainly been mentioned in roadfro's post.

I don't see where toll lanes would have been of any use here.

noelbotevera

Should note, is this also going on at the same time as Project Neon and in the same scope of Neon? Because the last construction report I've heard from that project is about a couple of months old now.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

roadfro

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 20, 2016, 06:29:30 PM

No. State law currently explicitly forbids toll roads. A few years ago, there was an effort to change that law which failed to make it through the Legislature–the Boulder City Bypass would have been the first tolled facility built under the proposed provision.

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 20, 2016, 08:06:47 PM
Should note, is this also going on at the same time as Project Neon and in the same scope of Neon? Because the last construction report I've heard from that project is about a couple of months old now.

This is an entirely separate project from Project Neon. Neon's scope is I-15 from US 95 south to Sahara Ave (which is the only section of I-15 in the Las Vegas Valley not to have significant modification to interchanges or road configuration, other than maybe an added lane, since the freeway was originally constructed). This current widening project is north of US 95 by about 5-6 miles.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadfro

Bump.

The Phase 3 mentioned upthread, widening I-15 from four to six lanes between Speedway Blvd and the US 93/Garnet interchange, recently began. Completion expected in early 2024. (Phase 4, the reconstruction of the I-15/CC-215 system interchange, is already under construction and discussed in a thread about the north beltway.)

Final phase of I-15 north corridor widening underway, Las Vegas Review-Journal, 6/13/2022
The latest widening project on Interstate 15 in Clark County is underway with various related travel impacts expected this month.

The 11-mile stretch of I-15 from Speedway Boulevard to the U.S. Highway 93 Garnet interchange is set to be widened from two to three travel lanes in each direction, according to the Nevada Department of Transportation.

The $71.5 million project is the third and final phase of widening the I-15 north corridor, which previously included expanding the interstate between the Spaghetti Bowl and Speedway Boulevard. The two previous phases totaled nearly $276 million worth of work. The first two phases wrapped up in 2010 and 2018 respectively.

This week, I-15 will be reduced to one travel lane in each direction between Las Vegas Boulevard and Speedway Boulevard nightly through Thursday and next week nightly from Sunday-June 23. The lane restrictions each night are planned between 7 p.m. and 5 a.m., NDOT noted.

Additionally this week through Thursday the I-15 southbound ramp to Speedway Boulevard will be closed during the same overnight hours.

The project began on June 5 and is expected to take 450 working days to complete.

"So, it should take us into early 2024,"  Justin Hopkins, NDOT spokesman said.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.