News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

U.S. 301 toll road project in Delaware

Started by Alex, March 22, 2009, 11:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonytone

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 16, 2018, 11:21:55 PM
I asked about the designation of the proposed spur route and was told that it won't be US 301 Spur. It won't have any designation of its own. They said it will likely be signed "To DE 896 — Newark" and "To US 301 Toll South — Middletown, Annapolis," though signage won't be finalized until they actually start on it.

Also, I notice from the newest satellite imagery and flyover videos that unlike most of DE 1, the new US 301 is being built with concrete shoulders on the mainline and ramps.
I guess that good ol'concrete plant down the road made it easier for them to do that. & How the spur road is being built now?

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Alps

Beltway

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Roadsguy

Quote from: Alps on November 17, 2018, 07:55:31 PM
December opening cited:
http://www.wboc.com/story/39497782/new-toll-road-to-open-on-us-route-301-at-delaware-state-line

I wonder if they'll specify an actual date, or have elsewhere. Last I saw, it was planned to open New Year's Day.

Either way, I'll be able to check it out when I'm home from college for Christmas break and post some pictures and/or video.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadsguy on November 18, 2018, 07:50:10 AM
Quote from: Alps on November 17, 2018, 07:55:31 PM
December opening cited:
http://www.wboc.com/story/39497782/new-toll-road-to-open-on-us-route-301-at-delaware-state-line

I wonder if they'll specify an actual date, or have elsewhere. Last I saw, it was planned to open New Year's Day.

Either way, I'll be able to check it out when I'm home from college for Christmas break and post some pictures and/or video.

I'd seriously doubt they'll open a route on a holiday when most state officials are off.

ipeters61

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Henry

I wouldn't be surprised if eventually this gets extended across the border and on to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, at least.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hbelkins

I'm presuming there will be "Last Exit Before Toll" signs somewhere? If so, where?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadsguy

Quote from: ipeters61 on November 20, 2018, 07:56:30 AM
Looks like there's a sneak preview of signage on the new expressway: https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/2018/11/20/toll-plate-option-new-commuters-u-s-301-mainline/1945217002/

Interesting that they're not signing "To DE 15" at Exit 2.

This also essentially confirms no new designation for the original 301, at least not for the southern half, which is the only place you'd really need it.

Also good to see that the project arrived at just the right time to avoid Clearview. Has DelDOT resumed using it?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

seicer

How does a highway of that length cost over a half billion dollars?

ipeters61

Quote from: Roadsguy on November 20, 2018, 11:19:33 AM
Looks like there's a sneak preview of signage on the new expressway: https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/2018/11/20/toll-plate-option-new-commuters-u-s-301-mainline/1945217002/

This also essentially confirms no new designation for the original 301, at least not for the southern half, which is the only place you'd really need it.
I spoke to the project manager about it and was told that the roads that US-301 is presently using are going to just have the US-301 designation removed, with their existing DE- designations (if any) remaining.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Alps

Quote from: ipeters61 on November 20, 2018, 12:33:46 PM

I spoke to the project manager about it and was told that the roads that US-301 is presently using are going to just have the US-301 designation removed, with their existing DE- designations (if any) remaining.
71, 896, and 299 cover most of it. I'd have liked to see something connect 71 to 299 at that gap. Maybe something like 171 or 99.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Alps on November 20, 2018, 02:03:16 PM

71, 896, and 299 cover most of it. I'd have liked to see something connect 71 to 299 at that gap. Maybe something like 171 or 99.
If what's shown on Google Maps is correct; that route gap is less than a mile.  One option would be to reroute DE 71 north of DE 299 onto DE 299 westbound (for a short concurrency) towards the soon-to-be-former US 301 and have it run northward.  N. Broad St. (current DE 71) in that area could become DE 71A.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: seicer on November 20, 2018, 11:32:38 AM
How does a highway of that length cost over a half billion dollars?

$42 million per mile.  Basically the going rate in this region.  And this was built in relatively rural/suburban areas.

When we had a discussion in NJ about Route 55 being completed, some people were coming in with very low estimates of what they would think it would cost to finish it.  And this $42 million would probably be low even for that project.

ixnay

Quote from: Henry on November 20, 2018, 10:39:06 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if eventually this gets extended across the border and on to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, at least.

It's being promoted across the border at at least one location - via billboards at U.S. 301 and MD 300 (both north of the intersection and south of the J turn that folks heading east on 300 must negotiate to get from Church Hill to Sudlersville).  I spotted these billboards about 9 days ago - I forget the wording, sorry, but those billboards were there.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Jim

I believe that the last time I took US 301 through that part of Maryland, within the last several months, there were no lights between the Bay Bridge and the Delaware line.  Definitely plenty of at-grade crossings, though, that it seems might become more dangerous when the new Delaware segment opens and encourages more traffic along that route.

If Maryland is going to do something to improve the 301 corridor, I'd much rather see something to improve the situation between US 50 in Bowie and the Nice Bridge.  La Plata and Waldorf are infuriating.  The Virginia side from the bridge to Bowling Green is still not too bad (but it does seem there's another new light every time I go that way).
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Alps

Quote from: Jim on November 20, 2018, 05:36:03 PM

I believe that the last time I took US 301 through that part of Maryland, within the last several months, there were no lights between the Bay Bridge and the Delaware line.  Definitely plenty of at-grade crossings, though, that it seems might become more dangerous when the new Delaware segment opens and encourages more traffic along that route.

If Maryland is going to do something to improve the 301 corridor, I'd much rather see something to improve the situation between US 50 in Bowie and the Nice Bridge.  La Plata and Waldorf are infuriating.  The Virginia side from the bridge to Bowling Green is still not too bad (but it does seem there's another new light every time I go that way).
Looks like the superstreet project killed all of those.

Tonytone

What will this do to the already heavy traffic De 1

iPhone

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Tonytone on November 20, 2018, 11:11:05 PM

You might want to look at the Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS), which usually have some sort of travel demand estimates included for future years.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Alt U.S. 301 would be nice.

I thought there was a requirement for tolled U.S. routes (not including toll crossings) to have a bannered Alternate route signed?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alex4897

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 20, 2018, 02:19:38 PM

If what's shown on Google Maps is correct; that route gap is less than a mile.  One option would be to reroute DE 71 north of DE 299 onto DE 299 westbound (for a short concurrency) towards the soon-to-be-former US 301 and have it run northward.  N. Broad St. (current DE 71) in that area could become DE 71A.

In the spirit of retaining a single designation along the entire corridor, I feel it'd make more sense to run DE 896 the whole way down old US 301 to end at the new Levels Road interchange. Then you could replace the designation on Boyds Corner Road with whatever your heart desires (maybe an extended MD 310?)
👉😎👉

Beltway

The merge point is where DE-1 begins six lanes (3 each way), should fit well. 

Also some traffic to US-301 to the Newark area.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Tonytone

Quote from: Beltway on November 21, 2018, 04:44:45 PM

The merge point is where DE-1 begins six lanes (3 each way), should fit well. 

Also some traffic to US-301 to the Newark area.
I assume that will work. It's just that, during rush hour DE-1 Past middletown looks like 95.
I wonder when (if) they have already put De 1 widening on the schedule.

iPhone

ipeters61

Quote from: Jim on November 20, 2018, 05:36:03 PM

I've been worried about that personally.  I consider that stretch of US-301 on the Eastern Shore to be my favorite highway on Delmarva because it has those crossovers but they don't feel nearly as dangerous as the ones surrounded by lots of development.  It feels like the perfect balance of no stoplights but allowing cross traffic.
Instagram | Clinched Map

froggie

I don't think you're going to have enough of an increase of US 301 traffic in Maryland to make a difference.  Most of 301 between Centreville and the Delaware line has daily volumes of 12K or less.  It could easily handle double that and still be fine, especially if SHA continues to put J-turns in.

QuoteI thought there was a requirement for tolled U.S. routes (not including toll crossings) to have a bannered Alternate route signed?

Not specifically a bannered Alternate route.  AASHTO policy states that the tolled route should have the "Toll" banner above it and "a toll-free routing between the same termini shall continue to be retained and marked as a part of the U.S. Numbered System."  It could be a bannered Alt route, but could also be another route.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.