News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

All new signs on I-94 in Berrien County Michigan

Started by DevalDragon, October 29, 2014, 12:10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DevalDragon

Over the summer, I noticed MDOT replaced every sign on I-94 in Berrien County - mile markers, shields, BGS (with new masts), approach signs, interchange signs - everything including new poles for seemingly all the signs.

Is this typical for MDOT or did they get some type of Tiger Grant? I've never seen such a wide spread and thorough job of sign replacement before.

tdindy88

US 131 north of Kent County (or Montclaim County, I don't remember) all the way to the freeway's end at Manton was replaced in the same manner. I drove that way a few years ago and it was the typical FHWA Font and this past September it was now all Clearview.

JREwing78

MDOT (at least when fully funded) tends to replace all of its signs on a 10-15 year cycle.

getemngo

They did all of I-69 from the north side of Lansing to Port Huron in one summer.

Quote from: JREwing78 on October 29, 2014, 10:34:44 PM
MDOT (at least when fully funded) tends to replace all of its signs on a 10-15 year cycle.

When MDOT did US 41 a couple years ago, I believe they said it was a 20 year cycle. This summer, I clinched M-36 and the signs (especially from Pinckney east) were the most beat up and faded I've ever seen from MDOT. There were letters peeling off some of them... so whatever the cycle is, it's safe to say it's not consistent.
~ Sam from Michigan

JREwing78

Quote from: getemngo on November 03, 2014, 04:12:10 PM
They did all of I-69 from the north side of Lansing to Port Huron in one summer.

Quote from: JREwing78 on October 29, 2014, 10:34:44 PM

When MDOT did US 41 a couple years ago, I believe they said it was a 20 year cycle. This summer, I clinched M-36 and the signs (especially from Pinckney east) were the most beat up and faded I've ever seen from MDOT. There were letters peeling off some of them... so whatever the cycle is, it's safe to say it's not consistent.

True. Certain counties (Jackson, Oakland) appear to be contracted out by MDOT to the county. Oakland County's signage, in particular, was god awful. Jackson's was also pretty beat up for a long time. I also imagine M-36, being a bit of a back road, is on a longer cycle.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.