News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Odd/Rare Signs In Wisconsin

Started by WhyLifeIs4, March 07, 2024, 12:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhyLifeIs4

What are some odd/rare traffic signs you have seen in Wisconsin?
Cliniched every Wisconsin State highway except the entirety of WI-16

I will be in Kerryville for the Eclipse!

:bigass:

hockeyjohn

Do Not Pass / Pass With Care.   When my family lived in Wisconsin in the 1970s, they were both used with the No Passing Zone signs like Michigan continues to use.   Not sure when they were pulled up leaving only No Passing Zone signs, but they are rare now.

Big John

Quote from: hockeyjohn on March 07, 2024, 05:10:46 PM
Do Not Pass / Pass With Care.   When my family lived in Wisconsin in the 1970s, they were both used with the No Passing Zone signs like Michigan continues to use.   Not sure when they were pulled up leaving only No Passing Zone signs, but they are rare now.
Early 1980s

Big John

tman

I think this BGS is the only Clearview LGS or BGS in the state (the Rimrock Rd 1/2 mile advance sign, on the WB Beltline, just after John Nolen Dr).

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.043322,-89.3694271,3a,75y,264.57h,89.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3zrUiKbA8zO7GCm2pCi_-A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

I believe WISDOT tested Clearview on the Beltline a dozen or so years ago (by making all the exit signs/sequence signs Clearview), and this seems to be the only sign that wasn't replaced with a Highway Gothic version.

Big John

^^ Also this IDOT installation on the Wisconsin side of the border: https://maps.app.goo.gl/mZejRzqW1dyiRGvb9

formulanone

Madison still has this beauty, right?

...the great-granddaddy of all road signs in the state, located in Baraboo:

Quote from: tman on March 07, 2024, 06:36:41 PM
I believe WISDOT tested Clearview on the Beltline a dozen or so years ago (by making all the exit signs/sequence signs Clearview), and this seems to be the only sign that wasn't replaced with a Highway Gothic version.

That must have been recently; a lot of my photos of the Beltline were Clearview were from 2020-22. It's unusual when Clearview is the rare bird...

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

mgk920

Wisconsin used to use little white 'reference point' signs, an equivalent of New York's 'little green signs', but stopped installing them by the early-mid 1970s.  I still remember one in Appleton that lingered into the early 2000s and WI 55 was still lined with them through the Menominee Indian Reservation to last time that I drove it a decade or so ago, but I don't have the time nor interest in seeing if they are still there.

Mike

WhyLifeIs4

peterj920

They're still used in the City of Milwaukee in less urbanized areas. Fond Du Lac Ave (parallel to the freeway), 91st St, and Boundary Rd are some places where they can be found.

WhyLifeIs4

Quote from: peterj920 on March 08, 2024, 12:41:04 AM

They're still used in the City of Milwaukee in less urbanized areas. Fond Du Lac Ave (parallel to the freeway), 91st St, and Boundary Rd are some places where they can be found.
Yep, I have seen some here in franklin as well

SEWIGuy

Quote from: WhyLifeIs4 on March 07, 2024, 11:09:54 PM
Quote from: Big John on March 07, 2024, 06:32:31 PM
Blank highway shields in Madison:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/52CbqSkBN8KrkWCdA
https://maps.app.goo.gl/72KVKqh2hTzjzsSJA
That is odd i wonder why they did that

Probably because there are three interstates east of town and four US highways on the Beltline.  The downtown Madison streets can be confusing if you aren't from the area so it makes sense in the context of where these signs are.

invincor

I recall seeing Pass With Care signs still in use in another state recently, but I can't remember which right now.  I start a long road trip soon, so I'm sure I'll see them again then.

jwags

Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 08, 2024, 08:41:20 AM

Probably because there are three interstates east of town and four US highways on the Beltline.  The downtown Madison streets can be confusing if you aren't from the area so it makes sense in the context of where these signs are.

The blank interstate shield over by East Town Mall makes a ton of sense even though it looks odd. Locals and traffic reporters will usually just refer to that stretch of 39/90/94 as the "interstate". It's probably less confusing than putting up three separate shields.

WhyLifeIs4

Quote from: jwags on March 08, 2024, 09:03:03 AM
That makes sense

The blank interstate shield over by East Town Mall makes a ton of sense even though it looks odd. Locals and traffic reporters will usually just refer to that stretch of 39/90/94 as the "interstate". It's probably less confusing than putting up three separate shields.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: WhyLifeIs4 on March 08, 2024, 09:06:07 AM
Quote from: jwags on March 08, 2024, 09:03:03 AM
That makes sense

Dude you gotta learn how to use quotes right. Post at the very bottom.

hotdogPi

Quoting is not as simple as some people claim it is. If the number of opening quote tags is greater than the number of closing quote tags, which can be easy to do by accident if you're trimming quotes to the relevant content, it will put a closing quote tag at the end of your post, making your text at the bottom no longer at the bottom.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Rothman

Quote first, enter your at bottom.  I think we're all clear on this one.  Done.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Big John

Quote from: Rothman on March 08, 2024, 10:51:25 AM
The problem is if there is a long quote, the quote box does not bring you to the bottom of it and then you make the reply to it not realizing you are not at the bottom where you should be.

triplemultiplex

The opposite of using a blank shield to point folks toward "the interstate".

Not sure if that's still there after they did work on WI 19 that makes you go west by the new Kwik Trip to turn left toward the interstate.  That photo was from 2019 when the Fleet Farm north of Madison was brand new.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

WhyLifeIs4

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 08, 2024, 11:55:12 AM

Not sure if that's still there after they did work on WI 19 that makes you go west by the new Kwik Trip to turn left toward the interstate.  That photo was from 2019 when the Fleet Farm north of Madison was brand new.
I don't know why that looks so off to me

WhyLifeIs4

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 08, 2024, 11:55:12 AM

Coords?

kphoger

Quote from: invincor on March 08, 2024, 08:49:26 AM
I recall seeing Pass With Care signs still in use in another state recently, but I can't remember which right now.  I start a long road trip soon, so I'm sure I'll see them again then.

Guys, guys!

DO NOT PASS and PASS WITH CARE are standard signs in the MUTCD.  R4-1 and R4-2, respectively.  If anything, the yellow pennant is less standard, recommended if "for additional emphasis" is needed.

Verbiage from the current edition:

Quote from: MUTCD, 11th Edition
Section 2B.36 — DO NOT PASS Sign (R4-1)

Option:

01 — The Do Not Pass (R4-1) sign (see Figure 2B-10) may be used in addition to pavement markings (see Section 3B.03) to emphasize the restriction on passing. The Do Not Pass sign may be used at the beginning of, and at intervals within, a zone through which sight distance is restricted or where other conditions make overtaking and passing inappropriate.

02 — If signing is needed on the left-hand side of the roadway for additional emphasis, NO PASSING ZONE (W14-3) signs may be used (see Section 2C.53).

Support:

03 — Standards for determining the location and extent of no-passing zone pavement markings are set forth in Section 3B.03.

Section 2B.37 — PASS WITH CARE Sign (R4-2)

Guidance:

01 — The PASS WITH CARE (R4-2) sign (see Figure 2B-10) should be installed at the downstream end of a no passing zone if a Do Not Pass sign has been installed at the upstream end of the zone.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 08, 2024, 09:27:21 AM

Quote from: WhyLifeIs4 on March 08, 2024, 09:06:07 AM

Dude you gotta learn how to use quotes right. Post at the very bottom.

Quote from: 1 on March 08, 2024, 09:36:43 AM
Quoting is not as simple as some people claim it is. If the number of opening quote tags is greater than the number of closing quote tags, which can be easy to do by accident if you're trimming quotes to the relevant content, it will put a closing quote tag at the end of your post, making your text at the bottom no longer at the bottom.

Quote from: Rothman on March 08, 2024, 10:51:25 AM

Quote from: Big John on March 08, 2024, 11:03:50 AM
The problem is if there is a long quote, the quote box does not bring you to the bottom of it and then you make the reply to it not realizing you are not at the bottom where you should be.

This is why, if you are quoting someone in your post, you should ALWAYS use the [Preview] button.  If it isn't correct, then either fix it or start over.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.