News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

"Destination DMS" signs

Started by 6a, July 06, 2012, 05:49:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6a

Anyone else seen these?  There is a yet-to-be-operational one on EB 70 east of 256, and according to buckeyetraffic there are two more between Dayton and Cincy.  Basically it's a BGS with a cutout for a travel time display, sitting on the side of the road.  Not a horrible idea - I wonder how many more are planned. The current travel time setup in Columbus is goofy to me since there are only signs on the inbound routes, with one exception, and none south of 161 on 270.  Cleveland and Cincy seem to have a much more comprehensive plan in place.

tdindy88

There are probably about a dozen of them around Indianapolis along I-465, I-65, I-70 and I-69. Except they are blue. You can look around on the pages for those highways on AARoads for some visual examples, all of which I took pictures of over the past few months. Northwest Indiana has one too I believe on I-80/I-94 and a few more are planned in that area as well as around Indianapolis. It is interesting to see that Ohio is doing it now.

US12

M DOT has put up those signs around the Ann Arbor area. On I 94 eastbound before the M 14 split there is travel times to Detroit either via M 14 or I 94. Also US 23 Northbound has the sign for travel time to I 96 and I believe M 36. US 23 Southbound has the signs for travel time to I 275 via I 94. M DOT has also installed a hand full of electronic message signs which so far have only displayed travel time.

jwags

WI has these all over.  I never get tired of driving the I-94 corridor and seeing "Freeway Time To:" posted on every DMS.

Brandon

ISTHA uses their VMSs as DMSs all along I-88, I-90, I-94, I-294, and I-355.  IDOT has some VMSs in Chicagoland used also as DMSs.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

roadman65

I-66 uses them (or did use them) on entrance signs to it inside the 495 Beltway.   This was because the fact that certain hours the roadway is only open to HOV that at most likely the sign will read a statement about it. 

When I saw it, the city of Front Royal was displayed in the message for the WB ramp signs as it was off peak when I traveled it.

I think the PANYNJ should use it more at their crossings to alert motorists of traffic pattern changes as well as the NJTA for the split roadways instead of the current rotating panels that they use now.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

gbgoose

Quote from: J-Wags on July 06, 2012, 10:46:55 PM
WI has these all over.  I never get tired of driving the I-94 corridor and seeing "Freeway Time To:" posted on every DMS.

41 is getting them around Oshkosh and Green Bay as part of the upgrades.

roadman65

I have seen a few on the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway that use the same technology as the new electronic billboards.  I am guessing that the NJTA is ridding themselves of the old neon reduce speed and explanation signs an moving forward.  It does not have digits or wording, but is like the big screens at the football stadiums.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

6a

Quote from: tdindy88 on July 06, 2012, 08:36:14 PM
There are probably about a dozen of them around Indianapolis along I-465, I-65, I-70 and I-69. Except they are blue. You can look around on the pages for those highways on AARoads for some visual examples, all of which I took pictures of over the past few months. Northwest Indiana has one too I believe on I-80/I-94 and a few more are planned in that area as well as around Indianapolis. It is interesting to see that Ohio is doing it now.

That was my thought, too.  Up until now, we have been using only the VMS'es that can display other messages along with travel time.  These are the first ones I've seen (here) that are solely dedicated to travel time.

nwi_navigator_1181

Tdindy88 is correct that we have (literally) one in Northwest Indiana. on I-80/94 west, there is a sign that gives travel times to Indiana 912 (Cline Avenue) and the Illinois State Line. ISHTA uses a more elaborate system, where overhead DMS's are used for travel times to important junctions and toll plazas when special messages are not needed.

I hope INDOT uses this in a more widespread manner in this area. Drivers on I-80/94 east could benefit from travel times to I-65 and the Toll Road, and I-65 northbound drivers could benefit from travel time information to U.S. 30, I-80/94, and its junction with the Toll Road.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

Milepost61

Colorado has a bunch of them on I-25 between Denver and Colorado Springs.

tdindy88

Based on the INDOT ITS Plan (I have it on file on my computer and it's somewhere on the INDOT website,) there are plans for more signs in the Northwest Indiana area along I-80/94 east (two I think, though I am not sure where exactly,) another one on westbound I-94 around the junction with the Toll Road and at least a couple along I-65 in both directions. Don't quote me on any of these however, the point though is that INDOT is planning on more in that area, it's just that they wanted to deploy the Indianapolis system first, according to the timetable I saw on the document.

mukade

Quote from: tdindy88 on July 07, 2012, 07:30:11 PM
Based on the INDOT ITS Plan (I have it on file on my computer and it's somewhere on the INDOT website,) there are plans for more signs in the Northwest Indiana area along I-80/94 east (two I think, though I am not sure where exactly,) another one on westbound I-94 around the junction with the Toll Road and at least a couple along I-65 in both directions. Don't quote me on any of these however, the point though is that INDOT is planning on more in that area, it's just that they wanted to deploy the Indianapolis system first, according to the timetable I saw on the document.

That is right. The Borman sign was actually the first one installed with many more coming. From INDOT site:
"In late 2009, a travel time sign was installed on westbound I-80/94 (Borman Expressway) in Lake County to let motorists know how long it will take to get through traffic at a given time of day. The sign displays travel times to both S.R. 912 (Cline Avenue) and the Illinois state line. Sensors on the roads measure many factors including average vehicle speed and traffic volumes; projected travel times change as the data changes. Using such technology to reduce congestion, improve safety and smooth traffic flow on busy interstates has proven to be very successful in aiding motorists with their travels. Nearly 40 more of these signs will be installed in future years. "

Brandon

What I don't get is why InDOT needs a separate sign for travel times instead of using the VMSs as IDOT and ISTHA do.  It would seem to me to be simpler and more cost-effective just to use the VMSs already installed.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

mukade

Most people always would want to know how long it will take to certain significant points, but at times they also may want to know there is construction or an accident x miles ahead. So at many times, one sign to provide both travel times and to provide information would suffice, at others, being provided both sets information is very useful. Personally, I think it is better to separate them.

And of course, they might want to cheer on their favorite football team while knowing how long it takes to get there.

hobsini2

I think there should be more of the "fixed BGS" signs with a "scoreboard" like clock for the minutes to a fixed point.

This is how I would do the gantry at Damen Ave on SB I-55 in Chicago.

I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

mukade

Quote from: tdindy88 on July 07, 2012, 07:30:11 PM

The new NW Indiana sign contract is scheduled to be let on 10/11/2012.

http://www.in.gov/indot/div/lettings/18MonthsConstLettingDetails_Ext.pdf (page 35)

rickmeck

These are all over Grand Rapids, but in a recent trip to Lansing, I didn't see any. I assume Detroit has them, but does anyone know for sure?

Brandon

Quote from: rickmeck on July 10, 2012, 01:55:29 AM
These are all over Grand Rapids, but in a recent trip to Lansing, I didn't see any. I assume Detroit has them, but does anyone know for sure?

MDOT around Detroit uses the VMSs for travel times.

US12

Quote from: rickmeck on July 10, 2012, 01:55:29 AM
MDOT has been installing several around Ann Arbor, and has also installed a lot of  new VMS in Washtenaw County.

nwi_navigator_1181

I had to bump this thread because crews have started building more of these travel time signs at more points in the highway. They've been in place as of the last few days...and are pretty much in the locations specified previously.

The first of the new signs is on I-65 Northbound, just before the Ridge Road interchange. The sign will provide travel time to the Illinois state line via I-80/94 westbound, 14 miles from that point. The second one is on I-94 westbound, just before the Ripley Street/Toll Road interchange. I only caught this one on one of the INDOT traffic cameras, so I don't yet know which destinations are posted. I would think the Illinois line is one of them.

I'm glad this particular project has finally moved forward.

tvketchum

My argument about using the VMS for travel time is, if there is a message, it can be missed by those who always 'see' the message about travel times, and ignore the alert. That would be an advantage of the separate sign.

1995hoo

Quote from: hobsini2 on July 09, 2012, 08:02:28 PM
I think there should be more of the "fixed BGS" signs with a "scoreboard" like clock for the minutes to a fixed point.

This is how I would do the gantry at Damen Ave on SB I-55 in Chicago.

This sort of sign shown on the left, with another column, would be useful when you have express toll lanes or HO/T lanes. Have one column giving travel time via the general-purpose lanes and another giving travel time via the tolled lanes so as to aid people in assessing whether it will be substantially faster to use the tolled lanes.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

nwi_navigator_1181

So I took a trip down I-94 and noticed two things:

The travel time sign on westbound I-94 before the Toll Road interchange does indeed give the travel time to the Illinois State Line for those staying on the Borman. Another one is located on I-80/94 westbound just before the I-65 interchange as the road expands to four lanes. Just like the first blue sign near Chase Street, this sign will provide travel times to Cline Avenue and the Illinois State Line.

These signs are starting to pop up everywhere. I'm sure these signs will be placed at various points of eastbound I-80/94, but I wonder where any of them would be placed on I-65, and which points. I'm sure US 30 is a given, but where else southbound?

tdindy88

I don't remember seeing any plans for those kind of signs on US 30 as INDOT seems to be keeping them on freeways only. Most of the ones in Indy are up and operating with a few planned for the new US 31 freeway in Hamilton County and presumeably some along parts of I-465 that were recently rebuilt (on the west side.)

I've also seen the plans (I was never good at putting the pictures here on this forum) of four blue signs that would guide through traffic along I-65 and I-70 by giving them the travel times across the city by going through the city or around on I-465. The signs say "Chicago/Louisville/St. Louis/Dayton thru traffic via" and then gives the time on either route. So far I have not seen any of these signs out there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.