News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

West Virginia

Started by logan230, October 16, 2014, 05:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

i think it's a tribute to the steel and dirt history of west virginia

SP Cook

https://wvmetronews.com/2023/10/14/doh-making-changes-in-u-s-route-33-work-zone-following-tractor-trailer-crash/

This kind of stuff, sadly IMHO, is what the "fix local roads" opposition to things like Corridor H beget.  There really is not "fix local roads" option that makes any kind of sense.  Good safe roads, blasted through the mountains, save lives.

Rothman

Quote from: SP Cook on October 15, 2023, 11:52:22 AM
https://wvmetronews.com/2023/10/14/doh-making-changes-in-u-s-route-33-work-zone-following-tractor-trailer-crash/

This kind of stuff, sadly IMHO, is what the "fix local roads" opposition to things like Corridor H beget.  There really is not "fix local roads" option that makes any kind of sense.  Good safe roads, blasted through the mountains, save lives.
The article you've linked is regarding a guiderail/retaining wall project and the poor work zone traffic control that led to the crash.  Not sure how the content pertains to your comment.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

QuoteWVDOH

Every time I see this, I think it's Homer Simpson's favorite highway department.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Bitmapped

Quote from: Rothman on October 15, 2023, 02:00:08 PM

The article you've linked is regarding a guiderail/retaining wall project and the poor work zone traffic control that led to the crash.  Not sure how the content pertains to your comment.

US 33's Allegheny Mountain crossing has long been an issue. It has a 10% grade that continues for several miles with several hairpin curves and no truck escape ramps. It's the worst of the crossings on US 33 east of Elkins. Completely fixing the crossing probably isn't feasible here, but blasting to straighten out the uppermost pair of hairpin curves and soften the lower curves would help tremendously.

Rothman

Quote from: Bitmapped on October 15, 2023, 04:42:16 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 15, 2023, 02:00:08 PM

US 33's Allegheny Mountain crossing has long been an issue. It has a 10% grade that continues for several miles with several hairpin curves and no truck escape ramps. It's the worst of the crossings on US 33 east of Elkins. Completely fixing the crossing probably isn't feasible here, but blasting to straighten out the uppermost pair of hairpin curves and soften the lower curves would help tremendously.
Ok...but what does that have to do with the article?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

seicer

I'm not sure the work zone was really an issue. I just came through there several times in the past few days and it's well posted and advertised. It doesn't say what caused the accident but it could have been the driver was simply going too fast for conditions. That's not the fault of WVDOH but of an inexperienced or inattentive driver.

It's a long downgrade for trucks for certain, but the traffic volumes aren't there to build a four-lane highway east of what's already completed. US 48/Corridor H will take the burden off of whatever long-distance trucking remains on US 33 as it's just a short detour from US 48 to US 33 in Virginia.

Bitmapped

Quote from: seicer on October 15, 2023, 08:44:43 PM
I'm not sure the work zone was really an issue. I just came through there several times in the past few days and it's well posted and advertised. It doesn't say what caused the accident but it could have been the driver was simply going too fast for conditions. That's not the fault of WVDOH but of an inexperienced or inattentive driver.

GMSV has September 2023 imagery showing the construction zone. There's a sequence of Road Work Ahead / One Lane Road Ahead / Be Prepared to Stop / Traffic Signal Ahead signs prior to the work zone. The One Lane Road sign is about 0.4-mile ahead of the actual closure, but this part is already on a steep downgrade. A VMS at the top of the mountain warning of the work zone might encourage truckers to keep their speed better under control. DOH did say they were lowering the speed limit for all vehicles to 30mph going down the mountain in response to the accident.

Some of the articles I've read have talked about trucks blowing through the mandatory truck stop at the top of the mountain. That's not WVDOH's fault. A truck escape ramp or lower set of mandatory stops might be helpful in general, but if truckers don't use them, it's still not going to do anything. There's one location just uphill of the current work zone that could work for a mandatory truck stop, but not an escape ramp. Building an escape ramp would require major blasting to relocate the road to even have space for it.

Quote from: seicer on October 15, 2023, 08:44:43 PM
It's a long downgrade for trucks for certain, but the traffic volumes aren't there to build a four-lane highway east of what's already completed. US 48/Corridor H will take the burden off of whatever long-distance trucking remains on US 33 as it's just a short detour from US 48 to US 33 in Virginia.

Agreed. There's no need for four-laning US 33 east of Elkins or really even a brand new two-lane alignment. Some smaller-scale improvements like straightening the top of Allegheny Mountain, a passing lane on the western approach to Rich Mountain (relatively easy to build), and some curve-straightening along the WV 28 multiplex would be big improvements as funds allow.

hbelkins

I get the various mountains mixed up, but the next-to-the-last time I was through there, they were building a truck lane on the mountain at the end of the "racetrack." The last time I was through there, it was complete.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

seicer

WVDOH completed upgrades of the eastbound US 33 crossing of Shavers Mountain east of the "racetrack" several years ago. It's not the "blasting" of the mountains that SP Cook would prefer, as this is near a federally designated wilderness and within the National Forest, but modest improvements allowed for the addition of a truck climbing lane. Clearing the vegetation back and adding better drainage has also allowed the roadway to dry out faster in the winter.

The next range over is Middle Mountain and then Rich Mountain. The big grade that has had the issues is east of Harman and WV 32 - Allegheny Mountain. The grades at North Fork and Shenandoah Mountains (the two ranges to the east) are just as gnarly.

seicer

This is a reminder that US 19 is closed at the New River Gorge for... Bridge Day!

seicer

The cobblestone-paved US 52 bridge over two CSX tracks, James River Road, and Fourpole Creek is being replaced. Temporary ramps are being built at the junction with Interstate 64 to allow for one half of the bridge to be rebuilt at a time. The superstructure is being replaced while the piers will be shored up.

Bridge: https://maps.app.goo.gl/nQ1xZWgcvuvSoUE29

I was kind of hoping they would have used this opportunity to soften the curve from Interstate 64 westbound to US 52 northbound. They have been stockpiling dirt and rock near the bridge for years and it looks like a stub for a bridge at this point.

Bitmapped

WVDOH just shut down the US 30 Jennings Randolph Bridge across the Ohio River after an inspection turned up structural concerns. It's expected to be closed for at least 3 weeks.

The existing bridge, completed in 1977, is notable for being the longest single simple-span truss bridge in the country.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/bridge-that-connects-ohio-west-virginia-near-pennsylvania-border-shut-down-emergency-repairs/LKRFKU2P7ZG6DEDJ2KCECS6XJY/

74/171FAN

Quote from: Bitmapped on December 11, 2023, 07:04:14 PM
WVDOH just shut down the US 30 Jennings Randolph Bridge across the Ohio River after an inspection turned up structural concerns. It's expected to be closed for at least 3 weeks.

The existing bridge, completed in 1977, is notable for being the longest single simple-span truss bridge in the country.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/bridge-that-connects-ohio-west-virginia-near-pennsylvania-border-shut-down-emergency-repairs/LKRFKU2P7ZG6DEDJ2KCECS6XJY/

OH 39 east of US 30 in East Liverpool was already in rough shape.  This does not help at all.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Bitmapped

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 11, 2023, 07:10:23 PM

OH 39 east of US 30 in East Liverpool was already in rough shape.  This does not help at all.

That's because it's maintained by the City of East Liverpool, which was still hand-painting lines on pavement not that long ago. I did think it was interesting the listed detour routes sent traffic via Weirton instead of using the Shippingport Bridge accessible via OH 39/PA 68.

Buck87

I bet the owners of the Newell Toll Bridge (now named the Wayne Six Toll Bridge) are happy right about now

Bitmapped

WVDOH says an in-depth inspection found cracks in welds that were not visible to the naked eye. I believe the bridge just underwent the 6-year in-depth inspection WVDOH normally does on major structures. https://transportation.wv.gov/communications/PressRelease/Pages/WVDOH_finalizing_plans_for_permanent_repair_to_Jennings_Randolph_Bridge_in_Chester.aspx

seicer

This is intriguing. While I'm not a structural engineer, it appears that the cracking issue is common in structures built around the same time as the I-40 Memphis Bridge, a notable case in point. This observation brings to mind the US 41 bridges connecting Henderson, Kentucky, and Evansville, Indiana.

Plans are in place to dismantle the southbound bridge built in 1965, while the northbound bridge from 1932 will remain. The question arises: why this decision, given that both bridges have been assessed and are expected to remain serviceable until 2060 with regular maintenance? By that time, the southbound bridge would be 95 years old, and the northbound bridge would be 128 years old.

The answer lies in the construction materials and techniques used. The newer southbound bridge incorporated heat-treated high-strength steel in its critical structural components, such as connection gusset plates and thickened butt-welds at connections. These elements are prone to cracking. In contrast, the older northbound bridge was constructed using pins and eyebars, which have more redundancy and, presumably, greater durability. This situation leads me to speculate whether the Jennings Randolph Bridge might be experiencing similar issues.

hbelkins

I can think of one catastrophic eyebar failure on an Ohio River bridge that occurred around this time of the year.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

I just saw I-195 posted in the RI thread, so that's two major bridges closed in 24 hours...

Bitmapped

Quote from: seicer on December 12, 2023, 05:05:58 PM
This is intriguing. While I'm not a structural engineer, it appears that the cracking issue is common in structures built around the same time as the I-40 Memphis Bridge, a notable case in point. This observation brings to mind the US 41 bridges connecting Henderson, Kentucky, and Evansville, Indiana.

Plans are in place to dismantle the southbound bridge built in 1965, while the northbound bridge from 1932 will remain. The question arises: why this decision, given that both bridges have been assessed and are expected to remain serviceable until 2060 with regular maintenance? By that time, the southbound bridge would be 95 years old, and the northbound bridge would be 128 years old.

The answer lies in the construction materials and techniques used. The newer southbound bridge incorporated heat-treated high-strength steel in its critical structural components, such as connection gusset plates and thickened butt-welds at connections. These elements are prone to cracking. In contrast, the older northbound bridge was constructed using pins and eyebars, which have more redundancy and, presumably, greater durability. This situation leads me to speculate whether the Jennings Randolph Bridge might be experiencing similar issues.

Electro-slag welding was common in the 1970s and caused issues in the past related to the heat from the weld. The Neville Island Bridge on I-79 developed serious cracks not long after it opened: http://pghbridges.com/articles/pressroto_nevilleisland_i79/index.htm . Perhaps these newer issues are artifacts of that technique.

Bitmapped

We've got another Ohio River bridge closure in the Northern Panhandle. This time, it's the 1905 Market Street Bridge at Steubenville, OH. The bridge is owned by WVDOH. Article here: https://wvmetronews.com/2023/12/21/doh-closes-second-bridge-in-northern-panhandle-this-month/

When the recently opened Wellsburg Bridge was in planning, it was intended as a replacement for this structure. If the Market Street Bridge needs more than minimal repairs, I wouldn't be surprised to see it permanently closed.

seicer

Yikes. I am not surprised. It is getting close to needing major rehabilitation and I suspect that it will be demolished instead of repaired. It's a significant bridge structure but it has little aesthetic or economic value (in my opinion). It could become a linear park but it would connect downtown Steubenville to a four-lane expressway - not an ideal setting. And without significant renovations, the bridge would become a drain on taxpayer dollars.

-

Unrelated, I drove on the new WV 108 expressway around Bluefield a few days ago. Going from memory, it is signed for Welch and the airport going north. There is a supplemental ground sign advertising WV 108 as an alternate US 52 for through traffic.

The roadway is well-designed and nicely constructed without any dips/bumps. I hope it remains in good shape as the roadway bed in places remained unpaved for years - so it should have had ample time to settle. The four-lane segment ends north of the Christine West Bridge over US 19. It is signed for 55 MPH throughout, although the four-lane segments of WV 108 and US 52 could be signed for 65 MPH very easily.

There is an obvious stub for a roadway extension north of WV 123 (Airport Road).

Google Maps incorrectly lists this as US 52. It's not listed on Apple Maps.

Alps

Quote from: Bitmapped on December 21, 2023, 11:34:00 AM
We've got another Ohio River bridge closure in the Northern Panhandle. This time, it's the 1905 Market Street Bridge at Steubenville, OH. The bridge is owned by WVDOH. Article here: https://wvmetronews.com/2023/12/21/doh-closes-second-bridge-in-northern-panhandle-this-month/

When the recently opened Wellsburg Bridge was in planning, it was intended as a replacement for this structure. If the Market Street Bridge needs more than minimal repairs, I wouldn't be surprised to see it permanently closed.
https://www.alpsroads.net/roads/wv/oh

Bitmapped

Quote from: Bitmapped on December 21, 2023, 11:34:00 AM

WVDOH says they closed the Market Street Bridge because of concerns about strands from the suspension cables breaking and fear the remaining strands might be over their carrying capacity: https://wvmetronews.com/2023/12/21/doh-closes-second-bridge-in-northern-panhandle-this-month/. The bridge had already been cut to a 3-ton load limit.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.