News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on October 11, 2018, 07:50:41 PM
As of today, the only map updates for the I-95/PA Turnpike interchange have been from Waze and Google. Apple, Bing, Mapquest have yet to show any changes.

OSM has had it since the change over.

roadman65

Someone got the PA Turnpike article wrong about the turnpike crosses over I-295 instead of the other way around like it really is.
Scroll down to the Delaware River Extension part of the article.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_Turnpike

The highway narrows back to four lanes before another E-ZPass-only exit for PA 132, with an eastbound exit and entrance. A short distance later, the turnpike arrives at the east end of the ticket system at the Neshaminy Falls toll plaza. After passing through more suburbs, the road reaches a partial interchange with I-95 (passing over I-295 with no access), at which point I-276 ends and the Pennsylvania Turnpike becomes part of I-95. Continuing westbound on the turnpike from southbound I-95 is signed as a left exit from I-95, the only place where continuing on the mainline turnpike is signed as an exit.[12][13]
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on October 12, 2018, 11:09:14 AM
Someone got the PA Turnpike article wrong about the turnpike crosses over I-295 instead of the other way around like it really is.

The highway narrows back to four lanes before another E-ZPass-only exit for PA 132, with an eastbound exit and entrance. A short distance later, the turnpike arrives at the east end of the ticket system at the Neshaminy Falls toll plaza. After passing through more suburbs, the road reaches a partial interchange with I-95 (passing over I-295 with no access), at which point I-276 ends and the Pennsylvania Turnpike becomes part of I-95. Continuing westbound on the turnpike from southbound I-95 is signed as a left exit from I-95[/b], the only place where continuing on the mainline turnpike is signed as an exit.[12][13]

Blue = It shouldn't start out as "Continuing westbound", because one can't continue westbound after going eastbound.  This should be a totally different paragraph.

Roadsguy

Whoops, I was the one who wrote that right after the interchange opened. I'm surprised no one else has caught that yet. The Turnpike article is pretty high-traffic (heh) and most of what I wrote has been tweaked since. I also agree on the bit about the left exit. I reworded it to make more sense.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

theroadwayone

The highway narrows back to four lanes before another E-ZPass-only exit for PA 132, with an eastbound exit and entrance. A short distance later, the turnpike arrives at the east end of the ticket system at the Neshaminy Falls toll plaza. After passing through more suburbs, the road reaches a partial interchange with I-95 (passing over I-295 with no access), at which point I-276 ends and the Pennsylvania Turnpike becomes part of I-95. Continuing westbound on the turnpike from southbound I-95 is signed as a left exit from I-95, the only place where continuing on the mainline turnpike is signed as an exit.[12][13]

Somebody went and edited it and it now says "passing under I-295 with no access."

Roadsguy

Quote from: theroadwayone on October 12, 2018, 06:12:11 PM

Somebody went and edited it and it now says "passing under I-295 with no access."

Whoever did that must be a great editor with how on top of things they are. :spin:

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 12, 2018, 05:55:31 PM
Whoops, I was the one who wrote that right after the interchange opened. I'm surprised no one else has caught that yet. The Turnpike article is pretty high-traffic (heh) and most of what I wrote has been tweaked since. I also agree on the bit about the left exit. I reworded it to make more sense.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

roadman65

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 12, 2018, 11:56:40 PM
Quote from: theroadwayone on October 12, 2018, 06:12:11 PM

Whoever did that must be a great editor with how on top of things they are. :spin:

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 12, 2018, 05:55:31 PM
Job well done. :clap:

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Update regarding additional I-95 shields along the NJ Turnpike & Connector:

As of this past weekend (Oct. 13-14):

1.  An I-95 shield have been added to the northbound sign at the Connector's eastern end (where the ramps to the mainline NJ Turnpike split).

2.  Just north of the above-ramp merge with the northbound NJ Turnpike, a NORTH 95 with an NJTP shield (placed underneath) reassurance marker has been erected.  This is the first time I've personally seen an NJTP shield used as a route reassurance marker.

3.  Westbound Connector (I-95 Southbound) at the US 130 interchange; SOUTH 95 TO legend has been added to the existing WEST 276 legend on the pull-through sign.

Along the Delaware River Bridge; there's still I-276/full-length PA Turnpike-based mile markers from mid-span (MM 359.0) to the PA side.  However, one or two I-95-based makers (MM 42.6 or 42.8 (?)) have since been erected; interestingly, right next to the markers.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

akotchi

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 15, 2018, 08:50:33 AM
Update regarding additional I-95 shields along the NJ Turnpike & Connector:

As of this past weekend (Oct. 13-14):

1.  An I-95 shield have been added to the northbound sign at the Connector's eastern end (where the ramps to the mainline NJ Turnpike split).

2.  Just north of the above-ramp merge with the northbound NJ Turnpike, a NORTH 95 with an NJTP shield (placed underneath) reassurance marker has been erected.  This is the first time I've personally seen an NJTP shield used as a route reassurance marker.

3.  Westbound Connector (I-95 Southbound) at the US 130 interchange; SOUTH 95 TO legend has been added to the existing WEST 276 legend on the pull-through sign.

Along the Delaware River Bridge; there's still I-276/full-length PA Turnpike-based mile markers from mid-span (MM 359.0) to the PA side.  However, one or two I-95-based makers (MM 42.6 or 42.8 (?)) have since been erected; interestingly, right next to the markers.
Most of that stuff you reference has been up since the last time I went through there, which was about 2 weeks ago.  I have not had the time to post pictures from that ride through.  At that time, the connector and Interchange 6 seemed to be complete, except for the eastbound (I-95 NB) pull-through at the U.S. 130 exit and the signs entering the Turnpike extension from U.S. 130.  Nothing obvious had changed north of Interchange 6.

Curious as to whether the first reassurance marker WB/SB in Pennsylvania (just past the AET gantry) has since been corrected.  Last I saw, the incorrect "North" beneath the marker was taped over.  Too expensive to keep checking . . .
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

PHLBOS

Quote from: akotchi on October 15, 2018, 01:16:12 PMCurious as to whether the first reassurance marker WB/SB in Pennsylvania (just past the AET gantry) has since been corrected.  Last I saw, the incorrect "North" beneath the marker was taped over.  Too expensive to keep checking . . .
So that's what was taped over.  As of last night (Oct. 14), it's still there.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

So am I to understand now the NB I-95 to the Delaware River Bridge is free in PA?  I see the cashless gantry where the Exit 30 plaza once stood is WB only. Plus the US 13 exit has no plaza anymore either and from streetview it looks as one can enter the Turnpike from the new I-95 flyover and get off at Route 13 and pay no toll at all.

Just wondering if you must pay to stay on the Turnpike into NJ, at least on PA's side?  I know that like other crossings traveling into NJ requires no toll except for Dingman's Ferry further north.  However all the other tolled crossings from Montague to the Delaware Memorial Bridge are WB only, so I assume that both the NJTA and PTC both implemented that way as well.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on October 15, 2018, 05:35:04 PM
So am I to understand now the NB I-95 to the Delaware River Bridge is free in PA?  I see the cashless gantry where the Exit 30 plaza once stood is WB only. Plus the US 13 exit has no plaza anymore either and from streetview it looks as one can enter the Turnpike from the new I-95 flyover and get off at Route 13 and pay no toll at all.

Just wondering if you must pay to stay on the Turnpike into NJ, at least on PA's side?  I know that like other crossings traveling into NJ requires no toll except for Dingman's Ferry further north.  However all the other tolled crossings from Montague to the Delaware Memorial Bridge are WB only, so I assume that both the NJTA and PTC both implemented that way as well.

No toll on 95 NB thru PA at all; first toll point is Exit 6 on NJ. You can cross the bridge into NJ and exit into US 130 and never pay a toll. The US 13 interchange in PA is completely free.

qguy

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 15, 2018, 01:42:10 PM
Quote from: akotchi on October 15, 2018, 01:16:12 PMCurious as to whether the first reassurance marker WB/SB in Pennsylvania (just past the AET gantry) has since been corrected.  Last I saw, the incorrect "North" beneath the marker was taped over.  Too expensive to keep checking . . .
So that's what was taped over.  As of last night (Oct. 14), it's still there.

Roadsguy and I noticed that when we drove it shortly after it opened; Roadsguy emailed the project engineers about it.

You're welcome.  :thumbsup:

They must've hurriedly sent someone out to cover it up. They used tape, you say? What, so duct tape really does fix everything?

akotchi

Looks like it to me . . .

And thank you!  I had emailed also and was told that they had been made aware of it.  Now I know who . . .   

The change was made within a day, I think.  Alas . . . a new sign is taking much longer.

Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

qguy

One would think there would be a stock of directional tabs that could be quickly accessed, or am I just thick?

(Don't answer that, Roadsguy!)

I mean, they're not individually custom-made for each location. There's gotta be a pile of them somewhere, right?

PHLBOS

Quote from: qguy on October 16, 2018, 05:10:21 PM
One would think there would be a stock of directional tabs that could be quickly accessed, or am I just thick?

I mean, they're not individually custom-made for each location. There's gotta be a pile of them somewhere, right?
Given that this is the Turnpike's (PTC) stretch & not PennDOT's; maybe PTC doesn't have as any spare blue NORTH/SOUTH tabs on hand (the only N/S Interstate in their jurisdiction is I-476, north of I-276).  :sombrero:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadsguy

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 16, 2018, 05:23:27 PM
Quote from: qguy on October 16, 2018, 05:10:21 PM

Given that this is the Turnpike's (PTC) stretch & not PennDOT's; maybe PTC doesn't have as any spare blue NORTH/SOUTH tabs on hand (the only N/S Interstate in their jurisdiction is I-476, north of I-276).  :sombrero:

I'd like to think that the PTC only made a couple dozen in the '90s when I-476 was extended and used the last ones on this project? :awesomeface:

02 Park Ave

There are still no I-95 shields above the inner or outer roadways, in either direction, at Exits 7 or 7A as of today.
C-o-H

Roadwarriors79

So Bing maps has the new I-95 flyover ramps from what I can see (as of 10/26). It doesn't look like Bing made any changes to exit numbers or to the various number changes to current I-95 and current I-295.

https://www.bing.com/maps/p/Bristol-PA

bzakharin

Looks like Google is showing traffic conditions on the ramps now.

briantroutman

Apple Maps is now showing the flyovers–with 95 shields on them.

Roadsguy

Quote from: briantroutman on October 26, 2018, 05:14:54 PM

Interesting. Does Apple Maps usually show shields on ramps carrying designations?

Bing may be taking their sweet old time in getting everything done with updating it, but at least they properly show the flyovers as freeway mainline.

ipeters61

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 26, 2018, 08:09:01 PM

(Apple Maps)

Interesting. Does Apple Maps usually show shields on ramps carrying designations?

Bing may be taking their sweet old time in getting everything done with updating it, but at least they properly show the flyovers as freeway mainline.
Does this qualify for "freeway mainline"?  I thought the part of I-95 between the new interchange and the New Jersey line were technically part of the Pennsylvania Turnpike still.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Roadsguy

Quote from: ipeters61 on October 26, 2018, 08:13:36 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on October 26, 2018, 08:09:01 PM

(Apple Maps)

Does this qualify for "freeway mainline"?  I thought the part of I-95 between the new interchange and the New Jersey line were technically part of the Pennsylvania Turnpike still.

It's owned by the PTC, yes, but is only signed as I-95. At Brian Troutman's Golden Spike meet last month, the PTC and contractor employees that we spoke to said that essentially that's what they intended, though it's certainly still officially part of the Turnpike. In fact, entering from US 13, the westbound sign says "South I-95 To I-276/PA Turnpike," and the northbound signs on I-95 before the I-295 left exit make no reference to the Turnpike at all. The westbound Turnpike is also signed as a left exit from I-95, using I-95's mileage, which is unprecedented for the Turnpike. They certainly intended to have I-95 be the mainline through it all, and when the flyovers are transferred to PennDOT (Have they been already? They're not included in their TIRe map), they're expected to become SR 0095, not an SR 8xxx ramp designation. (Though the same is true for I-83 through the Eisenhower Interchange...)

Roadwarriors79

I just looked at Apple Maps this morning. Yes, I-95 is now shown on the flyovers at the new interchange. But Apple still has I-95 and I-276 marked on their old alignments in PA.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.