News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: spooky on October 21, 2015, 04:50:03 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on October 21, 2015, 03:17:40 PM
Also how many know the difference between a protected left turn and a promiscuous left turn

I would assume the promiscuous one handles more volume?
I lost it. :-D

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cl94 on October 21, 2015, 08:01:20 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on October 21, 2015, 07:57:50 PM
No odditude, that's not what I meant. How about Philadelphia and New York completely spelled out on the top line of the signs in larger more bold lettering. If you want to see what I mean check the signs on German Autobahn. There are some websites with photos.

Yeah, using abbreviations doesn't really cut it. You need to spell it out.

Some of you have clearly never been thru this area on a summer weekend. Better yet, come on down to Delaware Thanksgiving weekend. After you're done bitching about the hour delay as traffic squeezes down to the 2 right lanes to continue to NY, you will understand how well the NJ Turnpike trailblazer, along with NJ-NY, truly does work in directing traffic the proper way.

cl94

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 21, 2015, 10:24:54 PM
Quote from: cl94 on October 21, 2015, 08:01:20 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on October 21, 2015, 07:57:50 PM
No odditude, that's not what I meant. How about Philadelphia and New York completely spelled out on the top line of the signs in larger more bold lettering. If you want to see what I mean check the signs on German Autobahn. There are some websites with photos.

Yeah, using abbreviations doesn't really cut it. You need to spell it out.

Some of you have clearly never been thru this area on a summer weekend. Better yet, come on down to Delaware Thanksgiving weekend. After you're done bitching about the hour delay as traffic squeezes down to the 2 right lanes to continue to NY, you will understand how well the NJ Turnpike trailblazer, along with NJ-NY, truly does work in directing traffic the proper way.

Thanksgiving and weekend travelers are typically repeat visitors. Do it once and you know what to do. Issue, as always, is the people who are unfamiliar. As discussed elsewhere on the forums, using a state as a control is not liked and postal code abbreviations alone are even worse. The issue is the first-time traveler. Someone traveling from North Carolina to Maine, for example, may know that their destination is off of I-95, so they stay on I-95. Even with GPS systems, there are people who navigate by shield alone. I've been through the area and I know the traffic.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vtk

Quote from: roadman65 on October 21, 2015, 08:35:56 PM
Quote from: spooky on October 21, 2015, 04:50:03 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on October 21, 2015, 03:17:40 PM
Also how many know the difference between a protected left turn and a promiscuous left turn

I would assume the promiscuous one handles more volume?
I like to use part time left, but everyone here likes what I attempted to spell.  Lets face it the English language sucks sometimes as many words are not sounded as they are spelled like in Spanish, French, etc.

TL;DR: Your excuse is faulty, but no excuse is needed.

I'm sorry, but the words "permissive" and "promiscuous" are pronounced the way they are spelled, though I'll concede it's not obvious which syllable should be stressed in the latter. And if you don't know how to spell one, knowing how it's pronounced, I can't imagine how one could write the other as a best guess.

You claim to have difficulty with this, and I can't dispute that. And it's not right to make fun of you for it; I don't think anyone was doing that. We enjoyed the amusement derived from your error, and I think that's different.

Indeed, the English language has a poor correlation between pronunciation and spelling, but I can't see how that's the cause of this specific error. At the risk of sounding ableist, I think you can try harder. But you are not obligated to do so. As you pointed out, it was clear what you meant.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

roadman65

Yes I made a mistake!  Yes permissive is sounded the way it is.  However its the wrong word not pronunciation in this case.  To me its petty all of this.  However we have whiners on this forum over nothing at times.

We have one guy on here who is obsessed with words, who I heard rumors to why he is that way as its because his elevator does not reach his  own top floor.  We have silly arguments on here every day, and most recent that one with HB from Kentucky.    Nobody's perfect and I did not say it to be a troll or anything.  To me I have heard the words only a few times so to me that is an honest mistake which since then I have used the proper verbiage ( I looked that one up in google, if I pulled the wrong word or the wrong spelling then I do not know what to say)!

Many people on this here forum have no jobs as some are on disability due to illnesses, some live at home with mom, and then others have no responsibilities whatsoever so they can be on the internet all day and even here to actually not only learn the ins and outs of this site or are able to take a few minutes to look up old posts or read 245 items of a particular thread to know what has been and what has not been said.  I have a job, I take care of an elderly mom, I have an internship, and other responsibilities, so most times I am on here for only a brief minute or two and am not going to check for simple things during that moment.

Yes I have a developmental disorder like most on here, but each disorder and how that effects each one is different.  So before you all pick on a person for doing things that you think are second nature, learn all the facts.  Many of us with disabilities and disorders have a hard time in some cases to do what the majority does that is taken for granted.   Believe me, I wish I can do better in my writing, as it irks me that I cannot.

I love roads and I love having discussions with people on this. I even have mini meets with two users on this forum and we go around Florida together checking out various projects and fun stuff.  Even another road enthusiast who visits one of the two I  meet tags along sometimes when he is down from the north to visit Sunny Florida.  I even love some of you guys here despite the differences in opinions we have and even some of you who I have gotten very heated with.  Sure there are some that are totally ridiculous and some trolls on here, but finally I learned how to deal with them and just ignore them. It took time, but I finally did it!

So I am on here because I love the hobby and like learning about other places and roads I have never clinched yet as well as local things in various communities.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Quote from: roadman65 on October 24, 2015, 01:59:37 PM
Yes I have a developmental disorder like most on here

On what do you base that statement?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on October 25, 2015, 08:13:49 PM

I think it's clear 99% of us have developmental disorders. I, for example, have male pattern baldness.

spooky

Quote from: Alps on October 25, 2015, 08:27:21 PM

I think it's clear 99% of us have developmental disorders. I, for example, have male pattern baldness.

oh, so that's what he meant by the elevator not reaching the top floor.

odditude

Quote from: spooky on October 26, 2015, 07:28:16 AM
Quote from: Alps on October 25, 2015, 08:27:21 PM

oh, so that's what he meant by the elevator not reaching the top floor.

i think this has reached popcorn-and-thread-split status. extra butter, pls.

jcn

You know how on northbound I-95 from Baltimore to the DE state line, the control city is New York.  When the interchange is complete, will the control city switch over to Philadelphia, or will New York remain as the control city?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jcn on October 28, 2015, 10:50:19 AM
You know how on northbound I-95 from Baltimore to the DE state line, the control city is New York.  When the interchange is complete, will the control city switch over to Philadelphia, or will New York remain as the control city?

Maryland makes the decision on what control city/cities they want to use, and it's doubtful they're going to spend what could be a few million to change all their signs because of a construction project not related to them.

odditude

work has begun clearing the ROW on I-95 SB between the ramp from PA 413 and the bridge over Neshaminy Creek.

Alps

The control cities, plural, ought to be Wilmington and New York, because of the major Turnpike split.

bzakharin

Quote from: Alps on October 28, 2015, 06:32:17 PM
The control cities, plural, ought to be Wilmington and New York, because of the major Turnpike split.
If I were adding any cities in that area, I'd add Philadelphia before I add Wilmington, even today before the interchange is complete. I don't really see what changes from Maryland's point of view regarding where you can go on I-95 and/or roads it connects to after the interchange is built. The only changes will be northbound in PA between Philadelphia and the NJ state line (include New York) and southbound along the NJ Turnpike.

Alps

Quote from: bzakharin on October 29, 2015, 02:58:55 PM
Quote from: Alps on October 28, 2015, 06:32:17 PM
If I were adding any cities in that area, I'd add Philadelphia before I add Wilmington, even today before the interchange is complete. I don't really see what changes from Maryland's point of view regarding where you can go on I-95 and/or roads it connects to after the interchange is built. The only changes will be northbound in PA between Philadelphia and the NJ state line (include New York) and southbound along the NJ Turnpike.
Delaware would have a cow. You have to show the next major destination on I-95, which ought to be Wilmington. Then you can show one farther destination, which I would hold forth to be New York (as opposed to Philadelphia). At the I-295 split, you can sign I-95 to Wilmington, I-495 to Philadelphia, and I-295 to Camden and New York.

NJRoadfan

As I said before, Philly isn't getting any love from NJ either, all the new southbound Turnpike signs use Trenton and Camden.

cl94

Quote from: NJRoadfan on October 29, 2015, 08:04:47 PM
As I said before, Philly isn't getting any love from NJ either, all the new southbound Turnpike signs use Trenton and Camden.

New Jersey rarely uses control cities outside of the state unless the sign is located at or very close to the actual border. The only major exception is I-80, which uses Stroudsburg west of Dover.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Alps

And the Turnpike doesn't go to Philly. Granted, it technically doesn't enter Trenton or Camden either, but at least it runs very close to those cities. You have to go through one of them to get to Philly.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cl94 on October 29, 2015, 09:20:55 PM

New Jersey rarely uses control cities outside of the state unless the sign is located at or very close to the actual border. The only major exception is I-80, which uses Stroudsburg west of Dover.

Wilmington is one of the NJ Turnpike's favorites control cities now also.

On a VMS sign between Interchanges 5 & 4 Southbound, there's a travel time sign.  It appears that during non-rush hour periods, it'll display the time to Wilmington at US 13 (why they just don't go to 95, who knows...).  During rush hours, the sign will indicate the time to Wilmington via the NJ Turnpike or Rt. 295 at Exit 4, but leaves off the US 13.  (Travel time to Wilmington via the NJ Turnpike appears to bottom out at 46 minutes.  295 time varies due to congestion, although it's often over 60 minutes).

PHLBOS

Exit 6 signage has Philadelphia on it but it's presently greened out.  Once the thru I-95 ramps to/from the PA Turnpike are completed and open to traffic; those grenn-outs will be removed.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cpzilliacus

Though southbound on the N.J. Turnpike, an extra panel was added to the BGS  at Exit 4 (N.J. 73) that reads Philadelphia.  This extra panel is not brand-new, but I can remember a time when there was no mention of Philly at all on the Turnpike.

I presume that there will be some mention of Philly on the N.J. Turnpike approaching Exit 6 when (if) the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission completes enough of the I-95/I-276 interchange in Bristol to tie the discontiguous sections of I-95 together.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Henry

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 30, 2015, 12:44:49 PM

Though southbound on the N.J. Turnpike, an extra panel was added to the BGS  at Exit 4 (N.J. 73) that reads Philadelphia.  This extra panel is not brand-new, but I can remember a time when there was no mention of Philly at all on the Turnpike.

I presume that there will be some mention of Philly on the N.J. Turnpike approaching Exit 6 when (if) the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission completes enough of the I-95/I-276 interchange in Bristol to tie the discontiguous sections of I-95 together.
I can see it now:

I-95 S/Philadelphia
NJ TURNPIKE S/Camden
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Henry on October 30, 2015, 01:14:10 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 30, 2015, 12:44:49 PM

I can see it now:

I-95 S/Philadelphia
NJ TURNPIKE S/Camden

Um...the signs have been posted for a few years now, and have been discussed several times on these forums.

https://goo.gl/maps/gnmxALG6aiE2

The blank space below Penn Turnpike is covering up 'Philadelphia', and the blank space to the left of I-276 is for 95 South.

MrDisco99

Why would it change?  The construction of this interchange really has zero effect on what one's destination might be on northbound I-95 in Maryland.  You still get to New York and Philadelphia the same way as before.

I could see maybe a change at the Delaware split for "New York via Philadelphia" and "New York via New Jersey" but this would be unnecessary and potentially confusing.

What I REALLY want to see is New York as a control city on I-95 north in Philadelphia.  I wonder if we'll see Philadelphia mentioned anywhere other than exit 6 on the turnpike.  It would make more sense as a southbound control city than Trenton, which is used all the way up to the Cross Bronx Expressway, even though the road doesn't actually go there.

I drove through there last month and it's amazing to finally see cones on the road for this project after it's been talked about for decades.  How we made it this long without a freeway connection between those two cities baffles me.

cl94

Quote from: MrDisco99 on November 05, 2015, 05:08:54 PM
I wonder if we'll see Philadelphia mentioned anywhere other than exit 6 on the turnpike.  It would make more sense as a southbound control city than Trenton, which is used all the way up to the Cross Bronx Expressway, even though the road doesn't actually go there.

Trenton isn't mentioned until you're in New Jersey. NYSDOT uses Newark or New Jersey by itself. Trenton isn't really used in New Jersey until south of Newark (unless I'm missing something). It has been mentioned both here and on other threads that New Jersey rarely uses a control city outside of the state, so it's certainly not without precedent.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.