Nebraska

Started by Revive 755, March 29, 2009, 11:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

I bump this thread by mentionning these 2 videos of the Lincoln South beltway posted around mid-May.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOqB8Z57ZcA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w18fqfdTIBQ

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

mvak36

Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mvak36

They've started construction on widening a stretch of US75 from Plattsmouth to Murray.

Article from June: https://fremonttribune.com/community/cass-news/news/widening-project-ready-to-start-completion-set-for-mid-2023/article_d37bb7e5-a748-5987-9854-7bf87addae24.html

Slowly making their way down to Nebraska City.

DandyDan

Just curious to know exactly when Nebraska Highway 85 was decommissioned. I drove back to my parents in the Omaha area, did some random driving (there was lots of tree damage in a recent storm), and saw all the NE 85 signs were removed. NE 85 was 84th Street in Omaha, Ralston, and LaVista and Washington Street in Papillion.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Route66Fan

Quote from: captkirk_4 on August 16, 2020, 03:41:20 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 31, 2009, 03:20:11 PM
I had to do the portion of I-80 from York to North Platte with nothing but a classical music station to listen to. (I wasn't driving.) And I think Prairie Home Companion came on somewhere in there. Now that's torture.  :no:

Yes, there's almost no radio stations in the rural parts of I-80 in Nebraska. My brother complained the only one was some AM station where they were yacking away about High School Football with the same enthusiasm usually reserved for the NFL. At least on I-70 there is a powerful AM signal coming out of Garden City with Limbaugh etc on that you can hear from Saline all the way into Colorado.
According to Wikipedia, there are some radio stations in Grand Island, NE & North Platte, NE.

SM-J737P

mrose

75 from Plattsmouth to NebCity is long overdue; glad it is finally being done.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: mrose on July 12, 2021, 03:44:30 AM

Yeah, btw is US-75 between Plattsmouth and Nebraska City get flooded like I-29 was?

yakra

Quote from: DandyDan on July 11, 2021, 06:31:04 PM
Just curious to know exactly when Nebraska Highway 85 was decommissioned. I drove back to my parents in the Omaha area, did some random driving (there was lots of tree damage in a recent storm), and saw all the NE 85 signs were removed. NE 85 was 84th Street in Omaha, Ralston, and LaVista and Washington Street in Papillion.
Must have been pretty recent. All the city & county maps on NDOT's website still show it, as does GMSV from 2019.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

J N Winkler

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 12, 2021, 10:38:37 AMYeah, btw is US-75 between Plattsmouth and Nebraska City get flooded like I-29 was?

I have never heard of it being flooded.  In places where it closely parallels I-29, such as at Nebraska City, it is on top of bluffs while I-29 is in low-lying ground that floods easily.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

mvak36

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 12, 2021, 11:48:41 AM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 12, 2021, 10:38:37 AMYeah, btw is US-75 between Plattsmouth and Nebraska City get flooded like I-29 was?

I have never heard of it being flooded.  In places where it closely parallels I-29, such as at Nebraska City, it is on top of bluffs while I-29 is in low-lying ground that floods easily.

Yeah. It hasn't flooded in either of the 2011 or 2019 floods. The problem is every one uses it when I-29 floods. I found an alternate route (NE-50) to Omaha that ended up working out better for my final destination point.

The part from Murray to Nebraska City isn't funded for construction. I thought it might be funded for design but I'm not sure.

kphoger

Quote from: DandyDan on July 11, 2021, 06:31:04 PM

https://www.wowt.com/content/news/Nebraska-hands-over-Highway-85-to-local-communities-to-make-changes-558577031.html
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

DandyDan

Quote from: mvak36 on July 12, 2021, 01:33:19 PM

Yeah. It hasn't flooded in either of the 2011 or 2019 floods. The problem is every one uses it when I-29 floods. I found an alternate route (NE-50) to Omaha that ended up working out better for my final destination point.

The part from Murray to Nebraska City isn't funded for construction. I thought it might be funded for design but I'm not sure.
One thing I remember when I still lived in Nebraska and would look stuff up is that the US 75/NE 1 intersection is the boundary between the Omaha and Lincoln districts. Therefore, it wouldn't be funded south of there.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

mvak36

Quote from: DandyDan on July 12, 2021, 03:32:05 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on July 12, 2021, 01:33:19 PM

One thing I remember when I still lived in Nebraska and would look stuff up is that the US 75/NE 1 intersection is the boundary between the Omaha and Lincoln districts. Therefore, it wouldn't be funded south of there.

I looked and it is funded for design in the next 10 years of the Build Nebraska Act.

Project Fact Sheet: https://dot.nebraska.gov/media/5786/us-75-from-nebraska-city-to-murrary.pdf

SD Mapman

Since this isn't really big enough to need its own thread, I figured I'd just bump this instead. The I-76/I-80 interchange reconfiguration is mostly complete, and the biggest takeaways for me are that I-76 has been remileposted from N-S to E-W (like it should be, not sure why NE had it as N-S in the first place) and that the I-80 exit on I-76 is now Exit 3, not Exit 102.

Would have taken pics but it was dark.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

edwaleni

Quote from: SD Mapman on November 23, 2021, 11:21:23 PM
Since this isn't really big enough to need its own thread, I figured I'd just bump this instead. The I-76/I-80 interchange reconfiguration is mostly complete, and the biggest takeaways for me are that I-76 has been remileposted from N-S to E-W (like it should be, not sure why NE had it as N-S in the first place) and that the I-80 exit on I-76 is now Exit 3, not Exit 102.

Because I-76 used to be I-80S.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: edwaleni on November 29, 2021, 12:59:06 PM
Quote from: SD Mapman on November 23, 2021, 11:21:23 PM

Because I-76 used to be I-80S.

But that means it's the southern version of I-80, which is an east/west highway.

J N Winkler

Per the signing plans for the recently finished I-76/I-80 interchange project--NDOT project number NH-80-2(100)--I-76 is still to be signed north/south in Nebraska, at least on the large guide signs.  Is the east/west signing on enhanced location reference markers or the like?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

edwaleni

Did Nebraska DOT end up going with that RCUT style interchange with US30 and N-79 north of North Bend?

Seems pretty dangerous to me compared to a simple interstate style exit ramp.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: edwaleni on November 29, 2021, 01:52:25 PM
Did Nebraska DOT end up going with that RCUT style interchange with US30 and N-79 north of North Bend?

Seems pretty dangerous to me compared to a simple interstate style exit ramp.

I wondered the same thing, I prefer a diamond interchange to a "Nebraska Left" for that location.

Also, there's a new video of the Lincoln South Beltway construction. I wish Google Maps, Bing Maps, Apple Maps and Esri update their satellite views of that area.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XkxJO042XY

SD Mapman

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 29, 2021, 01:31:56 PM
Per the signing plans for the recently finished I-76/I-80 interchange project--NDOT project number NH-80-2(100)--I-76 is still to be signed north/south in Nebraska, at least on the large guide signs.  Is the east/west signing on enhanced location reference markers or the like?
It was signed E-W on the little milepost guide signs, as well as (I think) the first reassurance shield from Colorado. I'll be back in a month (it's on the way to see family out by Omaha) and will confirm then.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

edwaleni

The problem with this RCUT style is that you are asking slower traffic to turn right and be able to merge left in enough time to not disturb oncoming traffic, many of which will be traveling at 70mph or more.

This has been an ongoing issue with these rural 4 lane freeways that want to maintain intersections with rural or low volume state highways.

Looking left, you can't always judge the speed of the oncoming vehicle, its worst at night, terrible for motorcycles.

While it abates the issue of right side impacts, you have increased the risk of rear-enders because these drivers are being asked to cross not just the 2 lanes on the lower side, but also navigate 2 more lanes on the upper side to get back to their right turn.

Nebraska DOT cost cutting move IMHO. 

They didn't want to pay for doing it correctly, so they came up with this "safety" option instead.

mvak36

https://omaha.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/nebraska-to-spend-nearly-15-billion-on-state-highways-over-next-20-years/article_38db011c-5798-11ec-b4d3-df68af7ade67.html

Nebraska transportation officials expect to spend nearly $15 billion maintaining and improving the state's highway system over the next 20 years, but it remains unclear how federal infrastructure money will factor into those plans.

John Selmer, who started as director of the Department of Transportation in March, told state lawmakers on Wednesday that he is "pleased to find the agency and its current environment much more favorable"  than in years past.

"The Nebraska Department of Transportation is more agile and resilient because of the lessons learned during the 2019 floods and the lingering COVID pandemic,"  Selmer said.

The majority of the estimated $14.8 billion in spending over the next 20 years is expected for maintaining roads and bridges – patching, sealing cracks, resurfacing and more. That's projected to cost $9.5 billion.

According to the department's analysis, about 82% of total highway miles in the state are rated at least "good,"  which meets the department's goal. For state-owned bridges, 58% are in "good"  condition, about 39% are in "fair"  condition and about 3% are in "poor"  condition.

System modernization, which refers to safety upgrades that don't add capacity, is expected to cost $1.8 billion, while capital improvements – projects that add capacity and infrastructure for economic development – are expected to cost $3.5 billion.

Great Lakes Roads

I watched BigRigTravel's live stream today, and at 6:26:15 in the video, you can see that I-76 is signed N-S on the BGS. I am curious as to what the mile markers are signed in Nebraska on that section of 76. N-S or E-W directions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIr9k3DOxCk

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.