News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Toll roads in Arkansas

Started by Tomahawkin, August 07, 2016, 12:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomahawkin

I advocated 10 years ago in a T-log (transportation logistics) class that I 40 should be tolled for all the cross country travel. Those funds could be used for upgrading a lot of the state roads because the state gets little federal funding for its interstates and US Routes. I also advocated 10 years ago that I-49 would be a benefit to the corporations of NW Arkansas. I suggested that the unbuilt stretch from Ft. Smith to Texarkana be tolled to help pay for funding on I-49 through NW Arkansas. That area is one of the fastest growing areas of the country and this should have been done years ago. IMO. Also the Funds could accelerate the Interstate 57 building in NE Arkansas. That area is in desperate need for funds for its roads. Thoughts?

Bobby5280

I have a feeling I-57 in Arkansas will be completed to the Missouri border well before I-49 is built between Fort Smith and Texarkana. I-57 isn't having to cut through as much mountainous territory.

I'm not sure about the legality of putting tolls on I-40. It most certainly would not be politically popular at all with voters. For some long distance traffic putting tolls on that corridor might shift at least some I-40 traffic bound for the East Coast onto I-44 & I-70.

Putting tolls on I-49 is a toss up. It could work if I-69 and I-369 are completed all the way to Texarkana. If I-69 and I-369 aren't done then there might not be enough vehicle traffic funneling onto I-49 to get enough toll revenue for the road to pay for itself. Then you also have to figure in the shunpike factor. US-69 in Oklahoma is already a pretty heavily traveled corridor, especially heavy in terms of truck traffic. It's not an Interstate, but it's not a toll road either. Tolls on I-49 in Arkansas could divert more Northbound Texas traffic into Oklahoma rather than Arkansas.

Avalanchez71

Wal Mart would not allow a toll on I-49.  If this would be tolled think of all those goods that are distributed out of Bentonville that would be tolled.

The Ghostbuster

If toll roads do come to Arkansas, they should come as HOT Lanes first.

US 41

I would not only toll I-49 from Ft. Smith to Texarkana, but I'd also toll I-69 across the state whenever it gets built.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

bjrush

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on August 08, 2016, 03:52:52 PM
Wal Mart would not allow a toll on I-49.  If this would be tolled think of all those goods that are distributed out of Bentonville that would be tolled.

Walmart has dozens of DCs across the country. Everything doesn't come in and out of Bentonville
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: US 41 on August 08, 2016, 05:39:09 PM
I would not only toll I-49 from Ft. Smith to Texarkana, but I'd also toll I-69 across the state whenever it gets built.
That would require maintaining US 71 as the free alternate to 49, which AHTD already struggles with
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Wayward Memphian

Add in a 4 lane Turnpike across North Arkansas (US 412) I'd Gladly Pay 10 bucks each way from Harrison to Walnut Ridge and so would most every one going to Branson on vacation.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: bjrush on August 08, 2016, 06:58:40 PM

Walmart has dozens of DCs across the country. Everything doesn't come in and out of Bentonville

I know but there is a distribution site in Bentonville.

US 41

Quote from: US71 on August 08, 2016, 08:47:07 PM
That would require maintaining US 71 as the free alternate to 49, which AHTD already struggles with

They're still going to have to maintain it either way. Tolling 49 would mean that they wouldn't have to come up with as much money to maintain 49, so wouldn't that mean there would be more money available to maintain 71?

Bobby5280

The current plan is to upgrade some of the existing segments of US-71 to Interstate standards, particularly certain stretches that run through the mountains. If I-49 was tolled it would have to be built as an entirely new terrain facility and US-71 would have to be maintained as well. That's a more expensive proposition. If traffic counts on the toll road aren't high enough then the whole endeavor just ends up bleeding even more red ink.

The Ghostbuster

I know it would jack up the price, but would it be possible to build Interstate 49 as tunnels in certain places along the more mountainous segments of the future Interstate?

NE2

Quote from: Bobby5280 on August 09, 2016, 01:34:57 PM
The current plan is to upgrade some of the existing segments of US-71 to Interstate standards, particularly certain stretches that run through the mountains.
[citation needed]
I'm pretty sure the plans I saw included keeping all of the existing US 71.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Quote from: US 41 on August 09, 2016, 01:28:40 PM

They're still going to have to maintain it either way. Tolling 49 would mean that they wouldn't have to come up with as much money to maintain 49, so wouldn't that mean there would be more money available to maintain 71?

Have you driven 71 between Alma and West Fork? There's a section just below Artists' Point that is slowly washing away. AHTD keeps patching it, but in reality probably needs to be rebuilt, yet they never have any money.

US 41

Quote from: US71 on August 09, 2016, 07:38:19 PM

Have you driven 71 between Alma and West Fork? There's a section just below Artists' Point that is slowly washing away. AHTD keeps patching it, but in reality probably needs to be rebuilt, yet they never have any money.

My point is if they can't afford to maintain 71, then how do they expect to maintain (or even build) 49? I'm saying tolls would be very a reasonable option for building and maintaining 49 when they do eventually build it.

US71

Quote from: US 41 on August 09, 2016, 10:34:18 PM

My point is if they can't afford to maintain 71, then how do they expect to maintain (or even build) 49? I'm saying tolls would be very a reasonable option for building and maintaining 49 when they do eventually build it.
So build a toll road and let the free route rot?

Bobby5280

Quote from: NE2I'm pretty sure the plans I saw included keeping all of the existing US 71.

The proposed route of I-49 looks like it overlaps US-71 briefly North of Ashdown and has some significant overlap between Mena and Waldron, in mountainous territory.

If I-49 was built as a freeway it could use up the existing space occupied by US-71 where the route does overlap. That would save at least some money on ROW costs. A toll road has to be built entirely on new terrain. That's more ROW to buy, and the whole thing has to be paid for via toll revenue, which I think could be a money losing option.

US 41

Quote from: US71 on August 09, 2016, 10:53:16 PM

No that is not at all what I am saying. What I am saying is that the toll route will fund itself. Then you can use gas tax money to take care of US 71. If Arkansas already struggles to take care of US 71, then how do you expect them to take care of it if the gas tax is being used to take care of both highways. People would be willing to pay to use I-49 from Ft. Smith to Texarkana.

Now based on the last comment I wasn't aware that some of I-49 will overlap US 71. So simply you toll the new sections and you leave the overlaps with 71 free.

Avalanchez71

The region has been served well by US 71.  There is no need to add I-49.

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: US 41 on August 10, 2016, 08:02:37 AM
Quote from: US71 on August 09, 2016, 10:53:16 PM

No that is not at all what I am saying. What I am saying is that the toll route will fund itself. Then you can use gas tax money to take care of US 71. If Arkansas already struggles to take care of US 71, then how do you expect them to take care of it if the gas tax is being used to take care of both highways. People would be willing to pay to use I-49 from Ft. Smith to Texarkana.

Now based on the last comment I wasn't aware that some of I-49 will overlap US 71. So simply you toll the new sections and you leave the overlaps with 71 free.

Every single person I talk to that goes to Dallas,Texarkana, Houston, Sheveport, or even New Orleans from time to time say they'd pay a toll. I've recently been asking  how about 10 bucks each way and they don't hesitate to say yes.

The idea that most people from NWA, like my Nephew, go to 430 in west Little Rock to go to places like Arkladelphia or Hot Springs is insane. But that is the best route according to them. They would gladly hand over cash for a more direct route. Same goes for a new terrain 412 from Harrison to Walnut Ridge. They'd fork it over without question. No one up here would co tinge to go through Conway to get to Jonesboro anymore or Little Rock to get to or through Memphis.

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on August 10, 2016, 11:58:15 AM
The region has been served well by US 71.  There is no need to add I-49.

This is hilarious.

Bobby5280

I think $10 would be a little steep in price for for a toll road roughly 145 miles long. I pay about $11 in tolls on 3 turnpikes to drive on I-44 from Lawton clear up to Joplin and the Missouri state line. That's a little over 300 miles.

7/8

Quote from: Bobby5280 on August 10, 2016, 12:40:29 PM
I think $10 would be a little steep in price for for a toll road roughly 145 miles long. I pay about $11 in tolls on 3 turnpikes to drive on I-44 from Lawton clear up to Joplin and the Missouri state line. That's a little over 300 miles.

I guess it's all relative. The Indiana Toll Road at 156 miles long costs $10.50 without EZ Pass.

And then Ontario's 407 ETR at only 67 miles (108 km) long costs between $10.54 USD and $15.11 USD without a transponder depending on the time of day.

Avalanchez71

Those prices are just insane.  I am surprised that NE2 hasn't chimed in about this being a regressive tax scheme.

Wayward Memphian

Walmart rolls down the Cherokee Turnpike out of Bentonville, this is silly as well. Right now, Walmart corporate is all about quality of life in NWA.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.