Ars Technica: Cell phone tracking system reveals how traffic jams start

Started by JREwing78, February 17, 2013, 11:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JREwing78

"By tracking the cell records, they found [in Boston] that it's just a small number of drivers from a small number of neighborhoods who are responsible for tying up the key roads. Specifically, they identified 15 census tracts (out of the 750 in Greater Boston) located in Everett, Marlborough, Lawrence, Lowell, and Waltham as the heart of the problem, because drivers from those areas make particularly intensive use of the problematic roads in the system."

Cell phone tracking system reveals how traffic jams start
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/02/cell-phone-tracking-system-reveals-how-traffic-jams-start/

Alps

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

jeffandnicole

So by looking at the image contained within the story, most cell phone calls are tracked in the downtown city area, where a lot of people are located. Next is along the highways, where people are traveling.

I am completely amazed. 

Brandon

Quote from: Steve on February 17, 2013, 11:52:37 PM
In other words... certain people are slow drivers

Or they're easily entertained by a rolled over semi in the other lanes. :banghead:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: Brandon on February 19, 2013, 02:47:30 PMOr they're easily entertained by a rolled over semi in the other lanes. :banghead:

Don't you know?  It's federally mandated that when you see an accident on the other side, you have to slow down, look, pick your nose, scratch your ass, sniff your finger, look again, scratch your ass again, sniff your finger again, then come to a complete stop, look again...THEN go! :banghead:
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

kphoger

Quote from: Crazy Volvo Guy on February 20, 2013, 08:49:32 AM
Quote from: Brandon on February 19, 2013, 02:47:30 PMOr they're easily entertained by a rolled over semi in the other lanes. :banghead:

Don't you know?  It's federally mandated that when you see an accident on the other side, you have to slow down, look, pick your nose, scratch your ass, sniff your finger, look again, scratch your ass again, sniff your finger again, then come to a complete stop, look again...THEN go! :banghead:

You forgot the requirement that all of it be done from the left lane.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

theline

The view is so much better from the left lane. You can see the carnage up close.

jeffandnicole

I'm not sure what you're complaining about.  If you see the issue, and you know why everyone is slowing down, then aren't you part the problem by looking yourself? 

The correct way to say this is "Traffic suddenly stops for no apparent reason, then starts up again.  I wonder what the problem was".

Me - if I'm forced to sit in traffic approaching the accident scene, it better well still be there when I get there!

Sykotyk

There's a difference between knowing what is going on around you, and gawking at an accident hoping to find the dismembered body part.

hm insulators

Quote from: Crazy Volvo Guy on February 20, 2013, 08:49:32 AM

:-D :spin: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

hm insulators

Quote from: theline on February 20, 2013, 02:07:49 PM
The view is so much better from the left lane. You can see the carnage up close.

Down through the years of driving in Los Angeles (where even somebody simply getting a ticket can back up traffic on the freeway for miles), I've used to joke disdainfully about the people slowing down because they just have to gawk at the accident: "Wow, look at that accident! Hey, slow down, I think there's a left arm dangling atop the sound wall. Ooh wow, isn't that somebody's head rolling around in the Number 3 lane?"
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.