Signs on State-Maintained Roads in Your State That Need Repairs

Started by Amaury, February 14, 2023, 02:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amaury

Quote from: Amaury on February 14, 2023, 02:43:56 AM21) On westbound Interstate 82, just after milepost 97, the sign that says Exit 96 is ahead in one mile needs repairs. Here it is when it was still standing: https://goo.gl/maps/a5upq55s2Br8UoGx5

Quote from: Amaury on March 07, 2023, 10:30:46 PM
Noticed more signs on my drive today needing TLC.

Westbound Interstate 82, after milepost 97, the sign for Exit 96 being ahead in one mile is broken:

***IMAGES SNIPPED FOR QUOTE***

Google Maps image from when it was standing: https://goo.gl/maps/a5upq55s2Br8UoGx5

It seems I've made a mistake, which I've corrected in both my OP and my post above. The first set of pictures is actually the sign linked to above. The Tourist Activities sign *is* down (https://goo.gl/maps/Z3bqSgN9LULAD74bA), but the sign on the ground for that one is facing with the blue side up. I completely missed getting a picture of the Tourist Activities one, so I'll have to get a picture of it next time I'm in the area.

But that's interesting, that's three signs in a row in the area on westbound Interstate 82 that need repairs:

1) Exit 96 being ahead in 1 mile sign
2) Tourist Activities via Exit 96 sign
3) Exit 96 being right there sign–pretty much the same as 1, minus the 1 mile part, and with an arrow pointing to the right
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

paulthemapguy

A lot, because it's my job to collect data on the road signs and direct the sign crew where I work <_< >_>
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Amaury

I wish you were here! :3 Although I will assume WSDOT has the same kind of person who goes driving all across the state specifically looking for signs needing repairs/replacements like you and then passing that along to the sign crews. However, some signs in my state that have been on the ground or missing for a while have yet to be repaired or replaced. I've only noticed them recently myself, but looking at Google's images in different years, some have been like that for a while.

For example, this one:

Quote from: Amaury on February 14, 2023, 02:43:56 AMSigns I still need to report.

2) The "Entering Benton County" sign fell over or was knocked down at the Grant County border by the Vernita Bridge, at the southern terminus of WA 243: https://goo.gl/maps/b7mnmQpekWmTpAQN6 Sometime between October 2012 and June 2018.

That's one of the signs I was going to try and take a photo of on Tuesday from my aforementioned drive, but it's not on the ground and is missing entirely. But it wasn't a total waste stopping there, as I got beautiful photos of the sky and all that.

I wonder if DOTs of any state have a map showing where all signs are installed, because yeah, if you pass a sign that's all beat up or on the ground, you can obviously see it, unless maybe it's fully or partially obscured by a guardrail or something (like #1 in my OP of I signs I reported in January), but for signs that are missing entirely, you would just drive by those places without thinking anything of it. But if you have a sign map, then you would be like, "Hey, there's supposed to be a sign here!"
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Amaury on March 09, 2023, 04:37:49 PM
I wish you were here! :3 Although I will assume WSDOT has the same kind of person who goes driving all across the state specifically looking for signs needing repairs/replacements like you and then passing that along to the sign crews. However, some signs in my state that have been on the ground or missing for a while have yet to be repaired or replaced. I've only noticed them recently myself, but looking at Google's images in different years, some have been like that for a while.

For example, this one:

Quote from: Amaury on February 14, 2023, 02:43:56 AMSigns I still need to report.

2) The "Entering Benton County" sign fell over or was knocked down at the Grant County border by the Vernita Bridge, at the southern terminus of WA 243: https://goo.gl/maps/b7mnmQpekWmTpAQN6 Sometime between October 2012 and June 2018.

That's one of the signs I was going to try and take a photo of on Tuesday from my aforementioned drive, but it's not on the ground and is missing entirely. But it wasn't a total waste stopping there, as I got beautiful photos of the sky and all that.

I wonder if DOTs of any state have a map showing where all signs are installed, because yeah, if you pass a sign that's all beat up or on the ground, you can obviously see it, unless maybe it's fully or partially obscured by a guardrail or something (like #1 in my OP of I signs I reported in January), but for signs that are missing entirely, you would just drive by those places without thinking anything of it. But if you have a sign map, then you would be like, "Hey, there's supposed to be a sign here!"

You'll be delighted to hear that FHWA required road agencies to have a sign database in place by June 2014, if I recall correctly (2015 maybe?).  That was about the time that my boss assigned me to be the arbiter of our road sign geodatabase.  I keep track of a map of all the road signs in my jurisdiction, and I edit it and add new information as things change.  That's the good news; the bad news for an interested member of the public like yourself is that this map/geodatabase is going to be for internal use only.  No road agency wants the general public to know how many errors and reports of folly are included in their database of road signs!

WSDOT is known for being rather progressive; I can almost guarantee that they have implemented some kind of database keeping track of all their signs posted in the field. Heck, I bet they go out there with a GPS that populates the database instantly or something.

I've also had to keep track of the retroreflectivity of signs, using a retroreflectometer to make sure the signs meet the visibility requirements posted on page 31 of the MUTCD (2009).

Amaury

I guess I'll take this opportunity to ask this question since you're a DOT worker. If you know the answer, when any kind of sign–even a simple "Entering [City]" sign–is knocked down and it's within a city boundary and it's also on an interstate, US Route, or local state route, whose responsibility is it to fix it? (Obviously, if it were on city streets that aren't part of any route, then it's the city.) Is it the state DOT, the city, or can they both do it? Or if there's even a county option, can any of three fix it?

For example, this big sign on the right, which I mentioned earlier in this thread, fell over on the ground a few weeks ago: https://goo.gl/maps/EKrTXVGXpXdhEPR89 (That's when it was still standing.) It's heading south on US Route 97 through Ellensburg. I took a picture of it after it fell over on the ground:

So, who would fix this sign? WSDOT? The City of Ellensburg? Kittitas County? Or can any of them assume responsibility and fix it?

1995hoo

Quote from: Amaury on March 09, 2023, 05:05:21 PM
I guess I'll take this opportunity to ask this question since you're a DOT worker. If you know the answer, when any kind of sign–even a simple "Entering [City]" sign–is knocked down and it's within a city boundary and it's also on an interstate, US Route, or local state route, whose responsibility is it to fix it? (Obviously, if it were on city streets that aren't part of any route, then it's obviously the city.) Is it the state DOT, the city, or can they both do it? Or if there's even a county option, can any of three fix it?

For what it's worth, that's the sort of thing that can vary greatly from state to state.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

FrCorySticha

I know for Montana, MDT puts stickers on the back of their signs which show the dates they were posted. The stickers make it clear they own those signs and are responsible for their upkeep, even within town/city limits. Not so sure about WSDOT how that works, but would assume signs on state/US/Interstate highways are WSDOT responsibility.

EDIT: Looking at a couple of your pictures, it does look like WSDOT has an installation sticker on the back of some of the knocked-down signs.

tckma

When I lived in Maryland:

* SHA posted a bunch of signs along MD-140, MD-97, and MD-194 at various places in Carroll County that said "STATE LAW: STOP FOR SCHOOL BUS WHEN RED LIGHT FLASH" (sic.).  ALL of them had the same grammatical error.  I reported this to SHA, they responded to my email, and all of the signs were quickly fixed with a bolt-on panel reading "LIGHTS FLASH" that was bolted on top of "LIGHT FLASH," like this.  As of August 2022, that one, at least, appears to have been completely replaced.

* I reported a stop sign that had been knocked down on MD-84; SHA told me to report it to the State Police, so I did.

* This reassurance shield on eastbound MD-140 after its intersection with MD-832 had suddenly been replaced with a reassurance shield for MD-832, as I noticed on my commute to work one morning.  I reported it as soon as I got to work.  SHA made no response to my email reporting it, but the error was fixed THE NEXT DAY.

Before I moved to Pennsylvania, but had started working here:

* The US-422 bridge over the Schuylkill River was being replaced when I first started working in PA, in a seemingly indefinite construction process.  At the time, I was staying in a hotel in Royersford during the week.  I noticed on my commute back to my hotel that this brand-new, APL BGS assembly had been installed, but it incorrectly marked the through lanes for PA-422.  I reported this to PennDOT.  It took a few weeks, but as you can see from the GMSV, the error was corrected.

After moving to PA:

* This school zone speed limit flasher and this END SCHOOL ZONE marker in my neighborhood are for a school that was converted to a residential apartment building several years ago.  The flasher is no longer ever powered on.  Reported this to PennDOT, who referred me to the Philadelphia Streets Department.  Philly Streets never responded to my report.  I figured they could re-use the flasher and end signs somewhere else where there IS a school (maybe a new school, maybe an existing one).

hbelkins

Kentucky hasn't always used identifying stickers on the backs of its signs. Sometime during my adulthood Kentucky began putting stickers on with the date of installation and the typical "do not steal" language.

Now, Kentucky is getting away from doing that and is instead using barcoded stickers on the signs. I presume this is for the aforementioned database.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 09, 2023, 05:07:51 PM
I guess I'll take this opportunity to ask this question since you're a DOT worker. If you know the answer, when any kind of sign–even a simple "Entering [City]" sign–is knocked down and it's within a city boundary and it's also on an interstate, US Route, or local state route, whose responsibility is it to fix it? (Obviously, if it were on city streets that aren't part of any route, then it's obviously the city.) Is it the state DOT, the city, or can they both do it? Or if there's even a county option, can any of three fix it?

For what it's worth, that's the sort of thing that can vary greatly from state to state.

Overwhelmingly, though, the signs belong to the agency having jurisdiction over the road.  That will almost always be one particular agency.  If it's a marked state, US, or Interstate highway, it will be the state DOT. County roads belong to the county DOT.  In Illinois, where I live, we also have municipalities and townships.  Other local roads and streets will belong to the municipality unless you're in an unincorporated area, in which case it's the township.  There are a few exceptions to this; for example, stop signs along a state highway belong to the state even if it's traffic on a local road stopping at the stop sign.  Stop signs will be erected to "protect" the major road from local road traffic.  Street blade ownership varies wildly from region to region.

Amaury

Quote from: FrCorySticha on March 09, 2023, 06:03:22 PMI know for Montana, MDT puts stickers on the back of their signs which show the dates they were posted. The stickers make it clear they own those signs and are responsible for their upkeep, even within town/city limits. Not so sure about WSDOT how that works, but would assume signs on state/US/Interstate highways are WSDOT responsibility.

EDIT: Looking at a couple of your pictures, it does look like WSDOT has an installation sticker on the back of some of the knocked-down signs.

That makes sense, which means state DOTs are responsible for signs on entrance and exit ramps as well, like stop ahead signs or freeway entrance signs, as I saw those stickers with dates on the fallen over freeway entrance signs I mentioned on the previous page. I've recently learned about the stickers myself. So even this "Entering Quincy" sign and the sign below it are the responsibility of WSDOT since I can see stickers on the back of it, not the city of Quincy or Grant County: https://goo.gl/maps/6YWh8FWrSFG7RScM6 The "Entering Quincy" sign is currently missing or on the ground somewhere and the post it was on with the remaining sign is leaning to the right itself. I don't know when it happened, but it was sometime after that Google image in 2018.

Although even with signs like that being the responsibility of the state DOT, I wonder if it stops, say, the city from fixing them if it's just a simple matter of getting a new post, moving the signs on the broken post to the new post, and digging a new hole for the new post. This milepost 106 sign on eastbound Interstate 90 in Ellensburg, which I mentioned earlier in this thread, fell over a few weeks ago, but has since been fixed: https://goo.gl/maps/Wj6b35byyC69fhYn7 I find it interesting that that would be fixed, but not the big sign I mentioned above, which is right there in the same area, but off the freeway on US 97. You can't see it from the freeway, but if you look at that semi on the overpass, from their perspective, you would see the back of the sign. So, I was wondering if maybe the city or county could have fixed the milepost 106 sign, but I'm just speculating, as I never saw it being fixed. I just noticed it was still down one night after work and then the next day it was fixed. For the big sign, it's possible they're just waiting since I imagine it would require equipment to fix since the sign is so big.

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 10, 2023, 02:36:15 PMOverwhelmingly, though, the signs belong to the agency having jurisdiction over the road.  That will almost always be one particular agency.  If it's a marked state, US, or Interstate highway, it will be the state DOT. County roads belong to the county DOT.  In Illinois, where I live, we also have municipalities and townships.  Other local roads and streets will belong to the municipality unless you're in an unincorporated area, in which case it's the township.  There are a few exceptions to this; for example, stop signs along a state highway belong to the state even if it's traffic on a local road stopping at the stop sign.  Stop signs will be erected to "protect" the major road from local road traffic.  Street blade ownership varies wildly from region to region.

So, this sign would be responsibility of either the city of Ellensburg or Kittitas County: https://goo.gl/maps/ysJt3FhQDJnV61jTA There are also no stickers on the back of it, which would be more evidence it's not WSDOT. It's on a local road known as University Way, where straight ahead is the roundabout that US 97 goes through. The sign is missing the US 97 "sticker" or whatever it's called. If you look at the 2009 version, even though it's bad quality, you can tell it was there: https://goo.gl/maps/LYoq1iLCrs2sN5pA7 It disappeared sometime after then.

EDIT: Also mentioned on the previous page, these signs, which are currently fallen over on the ground, interestingly appear to be the responsibility of WSDOT since there are stickers on the back of them, the green one being from 1999 and the no left turn one being from 2014, even though they're on a local road known as Main Street in Kittitas, which is obviously not a state, US, or interstate highway: https://goo.gl/maps/vxhf4JjjfFdrP5W77

Rothman

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 10, 2023, 02:36:15 PM

Overwhelmingly, though, the signs belong to the agency having jurisdiction over the road.  That will almost always be one particular agency.  If it's a marked state, US, or Interstate highway, it will be the state DOT. County roads belong to the county DOT.  In Illinois, where I live, we also have municipalities and townships.  Other local roads and streets will belong to the municipality unless you're in an unincorporated area, in which case it's the township.  There are a few exceptions to this; for example, stop signs along a state highway belong to the state even if it's traffic on a local road stopping at the stop sign.  Stop signs will be erected to "protect" the major road from local road traffic.  Street blade ownership varies wildly from region to region.
*NY says hello*

State shields mean very little about who owns and/or maintains the road.

And let's talk NYC... :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

FrCorySticha

Quote from: Amaury on March 10, 2023, 03:07:52 PM
EDIT: Also mentioned on the previous page, these signs, which are currently fallen over on the ground, interestingly appear to be the responsibility of WSDOT since there are stickers on the back of them, the green one being from 1999 and the no left turn one being from 2014, even though they're on a local road known as Main Street in Kittitas, which is obviously not a state, US, or interstate highway: https://goo.gl/maps/vxhf4JjjfFdrP5W77

In this case, it's signage put up by WSDOT as part of the interchange with I-90. As you mentioned, most of the signage at interchanges with interstate highways is handled by the state DOT.

As an example of a sign owned by another authority, it's likely these JCT I-90 signs were posted by either the town of Kittitas or Kittitas County. https://goo.gl/maps/EJyZLP7JTk3xPKqo7 https://goo.gl/maps/ZXduqwKui1D5eP718

JoePCool14

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 10, 2023, 02:36:15 PM

Except when IDOT just doesn't do that. I can think of numerous locations by me where the side street stop sign was erected by local jurisdiction.

I also contacted IDOT within the past few months regarding an error on a guide sign posted on one of their signals. They responded saying since it faces the side street, it's the local jurisdiction's responsibility. Which is odd, since I've seen IDOT replace street name signs at signals even for the non-IDOT roads at intersections. Sometimes, not always. It's inconsistent.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Amaury

Quote from: Amaury on February 14, 2023, 02:43:56 AM20) On westbound Interstate 82, just after milepost 97, the sign that says Exit 96 is ahead in one mile needs repairs. You can see where the posts are–not sure if they're broken or not–and you can also see where the sign fell off in the grass.

[image snipped]

Here it is when it was still standing: https://goo.gl/maps/a5upq55s2Br8UoGx5

This one is fixed.

And I saw them working on this one for Tourist Activities around 1:15—1:30 PM, which I forgot to get a photo of last time. They were still working on the poles, but I'll consider that fixed: https://goo.gl/maps/7Wjq45psHEfUzLuR9

Quote from: Amaury on February 14, 2023, 02:43:56 AM21) A little ways after the sign above on #20, on westbound Interstate 82, just before Exit 96, the sign with detailed info on Exit 96 is broken.

[image snipped]

Here it is when it was still standing: https://goo.gl/maps/zEHayXtFJhRRxtAg9

And, presumably, after the Tourist Activities one, they went to/will work on this one. I will go down there again in the next few days and confirm.

Funny that some of the ones I've documented, but haven't yet reported, have gotten/are getting fixed, but the ones I did report haven't, at least not yet. The "Entering Yakima County" sign is the biggest one for me personally since I drive by there more often, followed probably by the "Entering Benton County" sign, both on I-82 eastbound. But either way, shoutout to WSDOT! They are awesome! Too bad there isn't a WSDOT employee who's a member here. LOL

Amaury

4) The Interstate 90 shield is facing the wrong direction, on westbound Interstate 90 after Exit 47: https://goo.gl/maps/Xmf8L7vcPtfuJ6wx8

5) The Trucks 60 sign on the right post is crooked, on eastbound Interstate 90 after milepost 72: https://goo.gl/maps/1jjULJR58LXGg1L19

Here it is when it was not crooked: https://goo.gl/maps/QBE2nUWe76hztBVe9

8) The Exit 80 sign at the gore point for eastbound Interstate 90 was knocked down and is laying on the ground: https://goo.gl/maps/AuJ9QqqcwdMsrMMJ6 It's also an important exit since it's an exit that vehicles carrying watercraft have to take.

Here it is when it was still standing: https://goo.gl/maps/kGYcqrvneNHM9w2J6

9) Just a bit farther up east after Exit 80 on eastbound Interstate 90, both speed limits signs are crooked here: https://goo.gl/maps/NW9CV6FkSnchJjut9

Here they are when they were both straight: https://goo.gl/maps/w7nToTtSZcGFN1fa9

Here it is when both sides were still standing, as, at one point, it was the post on the right that was on the ground: https://goo.gl/maps/rKCr33fWSrzwVaBW9

Got personal photos of these yesterday. In order:

4)

5)

8)

9)

I've also got some new ones, which were all taken yesterday as well, with the exception of the one at I-82 Exit 96 directly below, which was taken on Sunday.

1) and 2) In Benton City, Washington (I-82 Exit 96), this big and tall sign here just before the eastbound Interstate 82 entrance needs new Interstate 82 shield stickers. You can make it out in person, but just barely. All of Google Maps' image versions have the shields faded, so I can't post a last known good image. In that same area, both "Freeway Entrance" signs for that eastbound Interstate 82 entrance need to be replaced, as they are not there. I had to go back to an image from 2012, so they fell over or were knocked over sometime between September 2012 and October 2018: https://goo.gl/maps/kDjUryB3fCVGEC1D7

https://i.imgur.com/FftCPV5.jpg

3) On westbound Interstate 90 after milepost 78, the post with the set of speed limit signs on the right is on the ground. When it was still standing: https://goo.gl/maps/GSKE5uP4pjFASKEo6

https://i.imgur.com/j58uQgO.jpg

4) On westbound Interstate 90 at Exit 63, the "Exit 63" sign itself at the gore point is heavily leaning backward. When it was still standing properly: https://goo.gl/maps/nAjr24yH5WmLd2Pk7

https://i.imgur.com/3AttXr2.jpg

5) and 6) On eastbound Interstate 90, at Exit 42, both of these signs need to be straightened out on the post as they are not facing the driver. When they were facing the correct direction: https://goo.gl/maps/AdmM4f1nUXcsVU6X8

https://i.imgur.com/XVhl1pa.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iWnJFcm.jpg

7) On eastbound Interstate 90 after milepost 40, the "Right Lane Ends" sign on the right is on the ground. When it was still standing: https://goo.gl/maps/AqMhjJr4o8B1RVpG9

https://i.imgur.com/wQ5c2rZ.jpg

8) On eastbound Interstate 90 at milepost 43, the milepost 43 sign itself and the Trucks 60 sign are not facing the driver, especially the latter. When they were facing the correct direction: https://goo.gl/maps/bDKanKybvBDESP4b6

https://i.imgur.com/6GnSf7s.jpg

9) On eastbound Interstate 90 after milepost 49, the "Food Next Right" sign is missing its panel on the left side. When the panel was still there: https://goo.gl/maps/9jasn4dReDidjtGa6

https://i.imgur.com/v6LAiqa.jpg

10) On Washington State Route 906 eastbound in Hyak (I-90 Exit 54), at the eastbound Interstate 90 entrance, the "Freeway Entrance" sign on the left is on the ground. When it was still standing: https://goo.gl/maps/FRwYMpxnzCbcgUJR6

https://i.imgur.com/YMq7Dz0.jpg

11) On Washington State Route 906 eastbound, before the eastbound Interstate 90 entrance in Hyak (I-90 Exit 54) mentioned in #10 above, the "To" sign on this post is not facing the driver. When it was facing the correct direction: https://goo.gl/maps/7mCvgHHAYp18x8QWA

https://i.imgur.com/dXfcqzE.jpg

12) At the western terminus of Washington State Route 906, where eastbound Interstate 90 Exit 52 is, the Tourist Activities sign needs some attention. Once the snow completely melts, it seems like it will fall over, though I could be wrong. When it was still standing properly: https://goo.gl/maps/rxvaQuHkLLqPCSnP9

https://i.imgur.com/5KVueNm.jpg

13) On eastbound Interstate 90 after Exit 53, the Interstate 90 reassurance shield, which is fairly new, is not facing the driver. When it was facing the correct direction: https://goo.gl/maps/KPWu1j9z5oeLobV98

https://i.imgur.com/unyCFq9.jpg

14) On eastbound Interstate 90 after milepost 61, the "Right Lane Ends" sign on the right is heavily leaning backward. When it was still standing properly: https://goo.gl/maps/XNDnqyiWaLrLZLAK7

https://i.imgur.com/ZBoYRna.jpg

15) On eastbound Interstate 90 after milepost 61, directly after the sign above in #14, this right lane ending sign on the right is heavily leaning backward. When it was still standing properly: https://goo.gl/maps/rWcGSnFBtGVqd55m9

https://i.imgur.com/jUbJtY8.jpg

16) and 17) On eastbound Interstate 90 after milepost 61, directly after the sign above in #15, the "Lane Ends Merge Left" signs on both sides are heavily leaning backward, especially the one on the right. When they were still standing properly: https://goo.gl/maps/BeZLrkgttePb3cki8

https://i.imgur.com/KefDrYD.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nbz7SKR.jpg

18) This one is located before #7 above, but I didn't notice this one until after the fact. On eastbound Interstate 90 after milepost 38–or before milepost 39 since milepost 38 is currently either on the ground or missing on the eastbound side–the "Right Lane Ends" sign on the right is not there and needs to be replaced: https://goo.gl/maps/3kZTKkTVTLG6SHLy6

When it was still standing: https://goo.gl/maps/Hh6Z8MqRhuM2FBDU6

EDIT: There are also a few exit signs missing at the gore point in the Interstate 90 corridor between Ellensburg and Issaquah in both directions, but I didn't take photos since they were either not there at all or only the very bottom of the wooden post base was still standing. Likewise for missing mileposts.

Amaury

Quote from: Amaury on February 24, 2023, 03:45:51 AMAnd add this big green sign to the list of signs I need to report, though since this is in the city boundaries, it may be an Ellensburg thing. Not sure. It was literally standing the last time I saw it, which was early yesterday (Thursday) morning around 1:00 AM.

https://goo.gl/maps/AmAPHMbeVmhGavdG6

It's laying on the ground. I'll take another look during the day, but I could see at least one of the wooden posts snapped. They really need to maintain their signs and pay attention and look for things like like potential wood rot. Either that or get rid of the wooden posts and do all metal poles, which are already used for many signs.

It's not the first time this particular sign has needed repairs, either. This is the sign in 2012: https://goo.gl/maps/aejQUCiaks55afgA6

This one is fixed.  :D

And now one of the curve posts here for the curve at I-90 Exit 109 eastbound is down... yet again: https://goo.gl/maps/gEBLqkEzwVjS13V4A There are a total of six; only five are standing currently. This doesn't include the one with the recommended speed. I'm only talking about the ones after that one, of which, as mentioned, there are six. Ironically, that Google capture has one of them down.

Three or four of them were down at one point. Actually, at two points, both last year. Once when they fell over naturally and one time before that when a semi lost control last year on the curve and knocked them over.

jeffandnicole

On the NJDOT site:  If it's a Stop sign, they will take those reports seriously and send a crew out same day or next day to get it repaired.  I've been on the reporting end and the knock-down end of those. :biggrin: 

Nearly anything else, the reports come back so quick that they've been "fixed" that they're clearly just being dismissed, and they really don't care about them. And no, the sign wasn't fixed.

On the county end, I used to write the county engineer about certain signage, and he would have his crews go out and fix or replace the signage fairly quickly.  I haven't written him for a while, although there is some signage out there that does need replacing.

Alex

Quote from: Amaury on March 22, 2023, 04:19:31 PM
20 photos

In the future please limit the number of images per post to no more than 10 photos:

QuoteWhen posting larges quantities of photos, please limit individual posts to include no more than ten, and to spread out larger batches with subsequent posts. This cuts down on the amount of scrolling and load time needed by users to browse photo threads.

hotdogPi

There's a forum limit of 20, as in the software won't let you do more than 20. Is this number configurable to 10?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

hbelkins

Quote from: 1 on April 05, 2023, 07:56:26 AM
There's a forum limit of 20, as in the software won't let you do more than 20. Is this number configurable to 10?

Does the software limit the number of links to images you can post, or the number of images you can post to the forum's gallery if you have posting rights?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on April 05, 2023, 01:25:21 PM
Quote from: 1 on April 05, 2023, 07:56:26 AM

Does the software limit the number of links to images you can post, or the number of images you can post to the forum's gallery if you have posting rights?

I'm not aware of either one existing, although I had my gallery access removed recently, not that I need it (it's a user group).
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Amaury

Quote from: Alex on April 04, 2023, 11:16:41 PMIn the future please limit the number of images per post to no more than 10 photos:

Fixed. Switched many of them to direct links.

Road Hog

The nice thing about wooden 4x4 posts is they are relatively cheap and easily replaceable. Unfortunately, most DOT crews are not as cheap and replaceable.

Amaury

Regarding the first part, that means something like this is a cheap fix since the sign itself is fine: https://i.imgur.com/ip0VaN8.jpg

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.