News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Out of Order Distance Signs

Started by UCFKnights, May 30, 2023, 02:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UCFKnights

Are there other examples of out of order distance signs, where the closest exit is not the top item?

I noticed this one at the northern end of the Florida Turnpike (it is a result of them switching the order of the exits with a construction project)

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.8419446,-82.0587023,3a,71.6y,308.82h,92.5t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sfelYlst1UAK5M9YhQyhrpA!2e0!5s20230301T000000!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ran4sh

That's actually interesting because it's the top being out of order. Usually an out-of-order distance sign has the middle and bottom out of order, because the bottom is the control city per the MUTCD, and the middle is some destination reached by exiting off the route, also per the MUTCD.

Although I'm not necessarily a fan of the practice of counting a high-speed nearly-equal merge as an "exit", especially when there is no option to exit to the opposite direction. Georgia does this on an Interchange Sequence sign on either I-75 NB, I-85 NB, or both, approaching their NB merge, when neither has the option to exit to SB of the other route. In that case I think the "3 exits" on the sign should have skipped listing the merge and listing the next actual exits that can be taken.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.