News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Largest/busiest signal-less (4+ way) intersections? (not including roundabouts)

Started by colinstu, January 29, 2013, 10:42:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinstu

Was driving around today & a fairly busy signalized intersection went to a 4-way flashing red and it was working out fairly well. Just curious if anyone knows of some intersections that are like this all the time. Can include 4-way flashing red, 2 red 2 yellow flashing, stop signs, yield signs, no signs at all, etc.

Show us what ya got  :)

DaBigE

How about this: American Pkwy @ Hoepker Rd, Madison/Sun Prairie, WI. It's prepped for signals, but operates as an all-way stop. 3-4 lane approaches on all sides. It's a HUGE PITA when people arrive from all sides at slightly different times. :banghead:  IMO, intersections like this should be banned. Signalize it from the get-go or don't even bother building it this big.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

kphoger

I'm sure most of the answers would lie in less developed nations.

Here is an example from Cambodia:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alps

Charles de Gaulle Etoile will always win for me as the most dangerous, highest-traffic uncontrolled intersection in the world. And it's one of those beloved European roundabouts, at that.

colinstu

What I'm surprised by is that traffic in that circle/roundabout doesn't have the right of way. It has to yield to traffic entering it. (or at least it appears that way in videos).

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on January 29, 2013, 06:54:42 PM
Charles de Gaulle Etoile will always win for me as the most dangerous, highest-traffic uncontrolled intersection in the world. And it's one of those beloved European roundabouts, at that.

I thought it was controlled by law, just not by reality.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

It's almost the opposite of a roundabout.  It's twelve roads all converging at a single, wide expanse of pavement, with no traffic control devices or lane markings.  Nobody would say that this would be a good design:

...yet, if you change that square to a circle and stick a monument in the middle, that's basically the same thing.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.