News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Favorite type of soda?

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 20, 2017, 12:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favorite type of soda?

Coke
9 (14.8%)
Coke zero
5 (8.2%)
Diet coke
1 (1.6%)
Pepsi
3 (4.9%)
Diet Pepsi
6 (9.8%)
Mountain Dew
6 (9.8%)
Sprite
2 (3.3%)
Orange soda
2 (3.3%)
Dr. Pepper
11 (18%)
Other
16 (26.2%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Roadgeekteen

Because everyone loves to talk about soft drinks.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper, and Fanta probably are the top three for me.

Edit:  IBC Root Beer is up there also.

Brandon

Arm and Hammer.  All of the choices given are for pop.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hotdogPi

Quote from: Brandon on May 20, 2017, 01:20:15 PM
Arm and Hammer.  All of the choices given are for pop.

How is orange soda not a type of soda, with "soda" in the name?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

SignGeek101

I think there was a thread on the naming between "soda" and "pop".

Anyway, I don't drink any of them (too much sugar) but when I did, I just preferred Coke.

7/8

Coke is my favourite type of pop! :)

hbelkins

This is heresy for a Kentucky native to say, but my favorite is probably Vernors. I actually prefer it to Ale-8. Of course I typically drink the diet versions of both.

My normal drink of choice is Diet Coke. Over the years I have gotten accustomed to its taste. I don't like Coke Zero because it tastes too much like regular Coke, which is too sweet for me.

If forced to drink a Pepsi product, I will choose Diet Dr Pepper (which is typically distributed by Pepsi in my area; I know in some places it's distributed by Coke) or Diet Mountain Dew. Diet Pepsi is a vile, nasty substance which I will only consume if desperate and always under protest.

Occasionally and for a change of pace, I will get a diet version of Sprite, 7-Up, root beer or orange (usually Sunkist is what's most readily available).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

english si

San Pelligrino Blood Orange as SP hasn't given in to Jamie Oliver's war on sugar* and polluted its drinks with sweetners that I can't drink without problems, and, while I like the other flavours, Blood Orange is the most drinkable. There's a couple of others that still haven't fallen to Fatty's Nannying - CocaCola (their UK webpage used to say that the spiking wouldn't alter the taste, and then on the same page said that red-Coke is not being done as it changes the taste. Sadly they spotted that and fixed it) and IrnBru. But pretty much everything else went - Fever Tree mixers, I guess, but given they mostly make tonic water, I'm not treating them as soft drinks as I'm normally mixing it with gin.

They've even spiked Lucozade, replacing half the sugar with aspartame - a drink who's selling point used to be that it was a glucose-ladened 'Sports Drink' (and before that sold in chemists as a medical product aiding recovery from illness) FFS! Diabetics used it to recover from hypoglycema. When they introduced diet Lucozade, everyone laughed and it bombed, because it missed the point.

Every drink had diet/max/zero varieties with no sugar anyway, and some even had 'half-and-half' reduced calories. Now there's no real choice for almost everything: either half-and-half or all sweetners. There's no "no sweeteners" varieties.

And this war on sugar has meant that some quacks are declaring war on fruit - I can understand "don't overdo fruit juice" as a message, but that became a mainstream "don't drink fruit juice other than very rarely" (dentists had been somewhat opposed for a while, but then the obesity police chimed in) and now there's an increasing "don't eat fruit" message that is just harmful.

*it's like he has shares in sucralose or aspartame production. Until you read his recipe books and realise that podgy-Jamie doesn't practise what he preaches there.

bandit957

Quote from: english si on May 20, 2017, 06:31:28 PM
Every drink had diet/max/zero varieties with no sugar anyway, and some even had 'half-and-half' reduced calories. Now there's no real choice for almost everything: either half-and-half or all sweetners. There's no "no sweeteners" varieties.

The gum business has gotten really bad with this.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

DaBigE

Since we're going to be nit picky on soda vs pop terminology... :)

Favorite type of soda is cola, with vanilla colas being a close second, and fruit-flavored a third (cherry, grape, orange).

Favorite brand of soda is Coca-Cola, followed by Dr Pepper, then Pepsi if there's no other alternative.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Pink Jazz

hotdogPi

My choice is now listed as "Dr. Pepper". I chose Other.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

CNGL-Leudimin

Several choices in the poll aren't avalaible in my country. These include Mountain Dew, Sprite, orange soda, and Dr. Pepper.

That being said, I like Coke and Pepsi equally, as they taste different to each other.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

1995hoo

Generally I'll go for Diet Pepsi. Diet Coke if they don't have that. Sometimes diet root beer instead (IBC if I buy it at the store, usually Barq's if I see it at a fast-food place).

I drink the diet stuff because the regular is simply too sweet for my taste. I will buy regular if I need it for something, such as a barbecue sauce recipe that calls for regular Coke.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

LM117

I used to drink Mountain Dew for many years until I ended up in the ER by ambulance due to a high heart rate (132 beats per minute) and skipping beats in 2014. Turns out I was having random bouts of Sinus Tachycardia and Premature Ventricular Contractions, though not always at the same time. I still deal with PVC's, but not as often as I used to. They're still a bitch when they hit, though.

They told me I needed to quit caffeine and so I did, cold turkey. I tried the caffeine free version of Mountain Dew and it tasted like shit to me so I gave up Mountain Dew altogether.  Now I just drink water and fruit juices, with some V8 here and there.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

cjk374

Quote from: LM117 on May 21, 2017, 08:49:58 AM
I used to drink Mountain Dew for many years until I ended up in the ER by ambulance due to a high heart rate (132 beats per minute) and skipping beats in 2014. Turns out I was having random bouts of Sinus Tachycardia and Premature Ventricular Contractions, though not always at the same time. I still deal with PVC's, but not as often as I used to. They're still a bitch when they hit, though.

They told me I needed to quit caffeine and so I did, cold turkey. I tried the caffeine free version of Mountain Dew and it tasted like shit to me so I gave up Mountain Dew altogether.  Now I just drink water and fruit juices, with some V8 here and there.

As healthy as they seem to be, you gotta watch the V8s. They are high in sodium which will boost up the blood pressure.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jwolfer

I stopped drinking soda a few years ago and lost 25 lbs in a few months... I drank a lot of soda.

I will occaisionally have a fountain drink soda, because they are cheap.  But i have recently started drinking sparkling water with lemon flavor...

Artificial sweeteners are horrible for your health

LGMS428

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jwolfer on May 21, 2017, 11:48:42 AM
I stopped drinking soda a few years ago and lost 25 lbs in a few months... I drank a lot of soda.

I will occaisionally have a fountain drink soda, because they are cheap.  But i have recently started drinking sparkling water with lemon flavor...

Artificial sweeteners are horrible for your health

LGMS428
I rarely get a chance to drink it, but when I have the chance, multiple cups are getting drunk.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

bandit957

I like Mello Yello, but you can't get it around here anymore. Just like a lot of things.

These days, I usually only drink soda at meals. I ignored the dentist's Allowed Cloud that ordered me to stop drinking it altogether.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

freebrickproductions

I don't drink soda, or any carbonated drinks of any kind. Personally not a fan on the carbonation part of it.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

roadgeek01

Sodium Bicarbonate.   :bigass:  Yes, that is baking soda, if you were wondering.  I don't drink soda, and a somewhat funny story to go with.  So, in first grade I had this gym teacher.  She was very friendly, and made gym fun with games such as, get this, toilet tag.  Anyway, she was telling everyone about how soda is all bad.  Most everyone else proceeded to ignore her, but not me.   The only time I've drunken soda since was when I was at a Chili's and accidentally drunk a sip of my brother's Sprite, thinking it was my water. 
pork bork my hork

idk what it means either

hotdogPi

Quote from: freebrickproductions on May 21, 2017, 03:29:06 PM
I don't drink soda, or any carbonated drinks of any kind. Personally not a fan on the carbonation part of it.

Same with me, but my choice suddenly got changed to "Dr. Pepper" (probably due to an addition in the poll), and I have no way to change it.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

hbelkins

Quote from: freebrickproductions on May 21, 2017, 03:29:06 PM

I'm the opposite. I like the carbonation. That's why I'm not a fan of plain water. It doesn't have the fizz.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

LM117

Quote from: cjk374 on May 21, 2017, 10:49:20 AM
Quote from: LM117 on May 21, 2017, 08:49:58 AM

As healthy as they seem to be, you gotta watch the V8s. They are high in sodium which will boost up the blood pressure.

I drink the low sodium version. Luckily, I've never had blood pressure problems. -knock on wood-

https://www.campbells.com/v8/vegetable-juice/low-sodium-v8/
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

english si

Quote from: bandit957 on May 20, 2017, 07:46:00 PMThe gum business has gotten really bad with this.
Gum went sugar-free not because of anti-obesity drives, but because of the branding as something good for teeth.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.