News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

To Turn 18 In 26 Days!

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, October 03, 2017, 04:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 03, 2017, 09:25:38 PM
I have a birthday this year too!!
I turned 14 in August. Seems crazy to finally be in high school.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

index

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 04, 2017, 10:17:16 PM
23 days until my fifteenth birthday over here. Before I know it, I'll be 18 and out of the infernal hell otherwise known as "high school".

Or, at least, I should be. Hopefully.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: index on October 05, 2017, 03:08:05 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 04, 2017, 10:17:16 PM
23 days until my fifteenth birthday over here. Before I know it, I'll be 18 and out of the infernal hell otherwise known as "high school".

Or, at least, I should be. Hopefully.
You just started, give it a chance.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: nexus73 on October 03, 2017, 09:44:02 PM
When I turned 18, HS graduation had already taken place, I had done a summer job as an AV tech at $2 an hour and was working at stocking shelves at night for a discount grocery store for $1.65 an hour. 

Gas was less than 30 cents a gallon.  It was the last of the Good Old Days as it turned out.  The Yom Kippur War came in October, our frenemies the Saudis led an OPEC embargo, the Soviets blocked cease fire attempts and then when the war went in favor of Israel, they threatened to invade with 250.000 paratroopers.  We increased our Defcon level and were on the precipice of a nuclear was as the Israeli army was within 25 miles of capturing Cairo and Damascus. 

Funny but sad to think as you are about to turn 18 that the world is in a mess and some things are still expensive while minimum wage has less purchasing power than it did for me back in 1973.  Hope you can survive the rest of your life!

Rick
Love the words of encouragement Rick! I feel confident in the fact my father has done me well and is there for me!  :bigass:

*If I fail at life, rest assured, you'll be the first to know!*
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

nexus73

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on October 05, 2017, 11:41:31 AM
Quote from: nexus73 on October 03, 2017, 09:44:02 PM
When I turned 18, HS graduation had already taken place, I had done a summer job as an AV tech at $2 an hour and was working at stocking shelves at night for a discount grocery store for $1.65 an hour. 

Gas was less than 30 cents a gallon.  It was the last of the Good Old Days as it turned out.  The Yom Kippur War came in October, our frenemies the Saudis led an OPEC embargo, the Soviets blocked cease fire attempts and then when the war went in favor of Israel, they threatened to invade with 250.000 paratroopers.  We increased our Defcon level and were on the precipice of a nuclear was as the Israeli army was within 25 miles of capturing Cairo and Damascus. 

Funny but sad to think as you are about to turn 18 that the world is in a mess and some things are still expensive while minimum wage has less purchasing power than it did for me back in 1973.  Hope you can survive the rest of your life!

Rick
Love the words of encouragement Rick! I feel confident in the fact my father has done me well and is there for me!  :bigass:

*If I fail at life, rest assured, you'll be the first to know!*

There are some lyrics from a song titled "Father To Son", done by Queen in their second album that you will experience if you live long enough.  Here they are:

Take this letter that I give you,
Take it sonny, hold it high
You won't understand a word that's in it
But you'll write it all again before you die

That song had a powerful impact on me when I was 19.  It is so true.  Ponder it now so you'll have a chance to do better as the decades pass than we did and in turn you can give the same gift to your children (should you have any) and they in turn can go into adulthood with an even bigger leg up on all that is to come. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

1995hoo

Quote from: vdeane on October 04, 2017, 01:32:39 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 04, 2017, 07:23:37 AM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on October 04, 2017, 12:30:30 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 04, 2017, 12:17:45 AM
Move 2,400 miles from home a week after your birthday, change of scenery never hurt anyone once the parental units no longer have control.  :cool:
Where shall I go? If I could go 2,400 miles in any direction I would, but there are resource constraints associated with that kind of movement. Would you have the means to sponsor me in that venture? :bigass:

All I really have planned is to go register to vote :-/ That's it for now. I do plan to find a rent house around town, my dad is explaining it would be best to invest that money (in its accumulated form), instead of filling someone else's bank account with it. (He isn't wrong). I am kinda stuck as far as that plan goes...

Federal law also requires males to register for Selective Service within 30 days of turning 18.
Technically cisgender men and transgender women.  Transgender men can't register even if they want to.

I have no idea what "cisgender" means (I could look it up but am not inclined to do so), but here is what the Selective Service website says. I don't know whether this means the same thing as what you said. (I note it doesn't say anything about people who change their sex.)

QuoteTRANSGENDER PEOPLE

Individuals who are born female and changed their gender to male are not required to register. U.S. citizens or immigrants who are born male and changed their gender to female are still required to register.

OPM notes that "transgender" refers to people whose gender identity and/or expression is different from the sex assigned to them at birth (e.g. the sex listed on an original birth certificate). The OPM Guidance further explains that the term "transgender woman" typically is used to refer to someone who was assigned the male sex at birth but who identifies as a female. Likewise, OPM provides that the term "transgender man" typically is used to refer to someone who was assigned the female sex at birth but who identifies as male.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

inkyatari

I turned 49 on 9/11.

Getting old sucks.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

US71

Quote from: inkyatari on October 10, 2017, 02:19:56 PM
I turned 49 on 9/11.

Getting old sucks.

I don't know WHAT I'll do when I get to be your age ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

GaryV

I turned 49 on 9/11.

Getting old sucks.

Yer just a young whipper-snapper.

Although I will admit that sometime in your 40's, things start to take about 3 times as long to heal.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: GaryV on October 10, 2017, 06:50:17 PM
I turned 49 on 9/11.

Getting old sucks.

Although I will admit that sometime in your 40's, things start to take about 3 times as long to heal.
How old are you? 80?

GaryV

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 10, 2017, 09:48:06 PM
I turned 49 on 9/11.

Getting old sucks.

How old are you? 80?
Not hardly.  But sometimes it feels like it.

inkyatari

I turned 49 on 9/11.

Getting old sucks.

Not so much that, as much as it is all the regrets I have in my life gang up on me.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

hm insulators

Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

kphoger

I turned eighteen 6675 days ago.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Roadgeekteen

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Roadgeekteen

TheArkansasRoadgeek

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.