News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Sears Canada…..Gone!

Started by ghYHZ, October 15, 2017, 08:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghYHZ

Sears Canada was granted approval on Oct 13 to begin liquidating all assets and should be gone by mid January 2018. Sears which had its roots in Simpsons.....is another of the Canadian Catalogue/Department Stores that have disappeared......including Eatons......over the past few years.

When we were kids...it was around this time of the year the Eatons and Simpsons-Sears Christmas Catalogues would arrive to help us in making out our list to Santa!

This now leaves only the 350 year old Hudson's Bay Company "˜The Bay'......as the last of the big iconic Canadian department stores.

7/8

Fairview Park (the confusing name of my local mall) is going to look a bit sad with one of its three anchor stores empty. Who knows how long it will take to find a replacement for such a large store.

ghYHZ

Quote from: 7/8 on October 15, 2017, 10:10:25 AM
Fairview Park (the confusing name of my local mall) is going to look a bit sad with one of its three anchor stores empty. Who knows how long it will take to find a replacement for such a large store.
Yes.....they were the anchor at numerous malls across the country. At the Halifax Shopping Centre....it was originally Eatons....then Sears.

And those large spaces can sit empty for a long time: At MicMac Mall in Dartmouth the old Eatons space became Zellers.....then Target (and what a disaster that was. Only lasting in Canada 2 years!)...and still empty since 2015.

MicMac still has The Bay.

AsphaltPlanet

I met with a bunch of mall managers for some work last year.  One of the malls that I was at had a significant of vacant space from a large recently closed Target store.  Making small talk with the manager, I discussed how difficult it must be to fill such a large amount of square footage.  The mall manager alluded to the fact that any prospective tenant can basically write their own lease agreement because such a space is so hard to fill.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Roadgeekteen

Sears are still at most malls in my area.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SectorZ

Too bad, the Canadian Sears are/were so much nicer than the American versions.

froggie

Surprisingly, Sears Canada outlasted Target Canada...

oscar

Quote from: froggie on October 15, 2017, 06:07:39 PM
Surprisingly, Sears Canada outlasted Target Canada...

As discussed in another thread, Target made the big mistake of using the dumpy stores of the Zeller's chain (a few notches below our K-Marts, if you can believe it) when it entered the Canadian market. Sears might've had good real estate at the outset, whatever the condition of its Canadian properties now (never shopped at any Sears Canada stores).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.