News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

October 2017 Made History!

Started by webny99, October 31, 2017, 11:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Today, October 31, 2017 (in the past 24 hours), there have been over 500 posts to this forum. I checked the history, and this is the first time in this forum's existence that this has happened! The previous record was set last week on October 23rd at 486 posts, but there are very few days with more than 400 posts, and no days, until today, with over 500 posts. FWIW, the "average" number of posts per day is only 188. There were also 19 new topics on this date (the record is 20, so we were close there too). All this makes October the overall month with the most posts ever on this forum, 9400+ posts.

I claim most of the credit for these shocking statistics  :D During the past 24 hours, I started 8 new topics (pretty good ones, too, though there are a few you could question), which generated 74 replies. I also made 18 posts to other threads, resulting in 51 responses, directly or otherwise. So, without my influence, today would have had only around 350 posts, hardly even noteworthy. kphoger might also deserve a smidge of credit for "AARoads topics in 1964" which was started today and has thus far generated over 30 replies today.

I am very impressed (and I'm expecting some good responses to this, from those of you who think us younger folks are obsessed with statistics  :-D)

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Rothman

Quantity up; quality way down.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Also, I thought you were leaving the forum because you had to keep your participation secret for some bizarre reason.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

Quote from: RothmanQuantity up; quality way down.

I would have to agree with this.

webny99 had some decent topics, but there are other newer, younger posters who are in no small part the reason for the large number of low-quality posts.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

formulanone

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Rothman on November 01, 2017, 08:23:15 AM
Also, I thought you were leaving the forum because you had to keep your participation secret for some bizarre reason.

I think I have finally pinpointed the OP's motive. After analyzing his forum stats, I have come to the conclusion that he had intentions to reach exactly 444 posts, 44 topics started, and then he was to completely stop there. Why he has had any desire to do this - I simply have no idea, and I do not understand it.

:confused:   :pan:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: Rothman on November 01, 2017, 08:20:01 AM

Agreed.  The signal to noise ratio of this forum has definitely been steadily increasing in recent years.

Also, I feel like a lot of the supposed young members (or at least the most prolific ones) are sockpuppet accounts being used by older members so they can act as trolls.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Roadgeekteen

you have a bright future as a statistician.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

7/8

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on November 01, 2017, 04:00:34 PM

I think I have finally pinpointed the OP's motive. After analyzing his forum stats, I have come to the conclusion that he had intentions to reach exactly 444 posts, 44 topics started, and then he was to completely stop there. Why he has had any desire to do this - I simply have no idea, and I do not understand it.

He won't be truly finished until his time spent online is 4 days, 4 hours, and 44 minutes :bigass:

vdeane

I suspect that at least a couple of our teen users have been using this forum as they would Facebook.

Yeah.  His post count has remained static ever since he announced his "end" to posting, despite the additional posts (leading me to think that those posts are motivated by keeping the total at 444 even if some get deleted).  There's also someone posting in the Facebook groups that I think is him, and those groups are public (and Facebook DOES put posts/comments in them in one's timeline), which would be imprudent if one wanted to keep their status as a roadgeek secret.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

rickmastfan67

US 89

Quote from: vdeane on November 01, 2017, 08:44:00 PM
I suspect that at least a couple of our teen users have been using this forum as they would Facebook.

Yeah.  His post count has remained static ever since he announced his "end" to posting, despite the additional posts (leading me to think that those posts are motivated by keeping the total at 444 even if some get deleted).  There's also someone posting in the Facebook groups that I think is him, and those groups are public (and Facebook DOES put posts/comments in them in one's timeline), which would be imprudent if one wanted to keep their status as a roadgeek secret.

For what it’s worth, his post count is now down to 442, and his last login was today at 11:20 am. This is the thread where he announced he would stop posting.

This is definitely one of the weirder things that this forum has seen. I almost wonder if he did this on a bet or something similar.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: roadguy2 on November 02, 2017, 12:22:44 AM
Quote from: vdeane on November 01, 2017, 08:44:00 PM

For what it's worth, his post count is now down to 442, and his last login was today at 11:20 am. This is the thread where he announced he would stop posting.

This is definitely one of the weirder things that this forum has seen. I almost wonder if he did this on a bet or something similar.

Make that 441 now..

And yes, it is incredibly weird, indeed...

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on November 01, 2017, 11:25:33 PM
Quote from: LM117 on November 01, 2017, 04:25:08 PM
Quote from: formulanone on November 01, 2017, 01:29:05 PM
Quote from: Rothman on November 01, 2017, 08:20:01 AM

Quote from: froggie on November 01, 2017, 09:21:57 AM
I would have to agree with this.

Quote from: Takumi on November 01, 2017, 12:17:01 PM
Yeah, this.

Agreed.

+1

+ ∞

While this is not that important, I must say that that infinity symbol is extremely cool being transduced into a post on this forum!  :nod:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Scott5114

You all do realize that admins can adjust these statistics at will, right?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 02, 2017, 08:45:47 AM
You all do realize that admins can adjust these statistics at will, right?
All my faith in humanity has suddenly dissipated.

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on November 02, 2017, 11:37:06 AM
If anyone on this forum knew that admin could change post counts, it would be me! I believe I have the right to know which of my posts were deleted (in the past, I've always been able to figure it out quickly, but not this time), and if I do not have this right, I also will lose a significant amount of faith in humanity  :D

And thank you, admin, for saving me the trouble of deleting more posts myself  :-D

You misunderstand–we don't have to delete posts to change the statistics. Case in point, check your post count.

Consider it a demonstration of how meaningless all this really is.

Roadgeekteen

Webny post counts are meaningless. If the mods want to make your post count 78778887 and your time online 3 seconds they could. They kinda already have. And you still have not told anyone why you are doing this  :confused: :confused: :confused:.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 02, 2017, 05:55:01 PM
Quote from: webny99 on November 02, 2017, 11:37:06 AM
If anyone on this forum knew that admin could change post counts, it would be me! I believe I have the right to know which of my posts were deleted (in the past, I've always been able to figure it out quickly, but not this time), and if I do not have this right, I also will lose a significant amount of faith in humanity  :D

And thank you, admin, for saving me the trouble of deleting more posts myself  :-D

You misunderstand–we don't have to delete posts to change the statistics. Case in point, check your post count.

Consider it a demonstration of how meaningless all this really is.

Wow!  :wow: 

I don't think I realized that you were able to do that!  :-D

But I guess it makes sense, that you are able to alter the post count number being displayed (the statistics aspect of it) without messing with any of the actual posts themselves.

But honestly, I do not understand why post counts have to matter that much to some people (people may either want it as high as possible, or in this case, being fixed at a special number, or something else). IMHO, there is no point to having a post minimum ("I must generate thousands of low-quality posts very quickly until I reach a super high number!") or a post maximum ("I must not post anymore after reaching this specific number for no reason at all"). I think someone did a really good job of explaining this in another thread, actually.

See here (quote from JoePCool14):

There is no reason to stop posting at a certain point. Post counts are basically only for reference for users to see if the other person is new or a veteran, an active or infrequent user. It's not a contest, and it's not to display something "funny". That's why we have a quote line and a signature. I don't want to be rude, but it's simply the truth.

Source: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=20440.0

I just enjoy my time on the forum: learning things, seeing things (like road photos), discussing things, creating things, and sometimes we may have a good laugh. I personally don't care what my post count number is - I do want to know what it is so that I have a reference and such, but I am in no rush to get to any number, and I have no plans to stop at any number. Having those mindsets seems truly pointless to me. I also put as much effort into my posts as possible, and everyone should. I don't slap random crap posts together in a race to be the "Post Count Winner." Some of my posts are long, and some of my posts are short, but all of them have purpose behind them. I do hope that you have a change of heart, because I don't want you to abandon the entire roadgeek community (at least on this forum) just because of a silly number. Please think about it.

Scott5114

There are some people who post a lot to inflate their post counts because they believe that having a large number of posts will win them respect. These people are fools.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: NE2 on November 03, 2017, 11:01:41 AM
Nobody.
Cares.
For once I actually agree with you. This thread should be locked.

1995hoo

Now November 2017 has made history: NE2 made a comment with which probably just about all of us would agree!  :-D
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.