News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Favorite city skylines

Started by golden eagle, May 25, 2010, 10:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

english si

London.

It has the mix of old and new, tall and small that gives some variety in there. My biggest problem with it is that it's very tricky to get all the accenting buildings (St Pauls, London Eye, Canary Wharf, Shard, Gerkin, St Stephens Tower (Big Ben), The O2 (Millennium Dome), etc) in one shot (there's a predicted 2012 skyline on Skyscrapercity that gets them all, though not accurately as schemes have changed/not been built).

Doesn't help that some hide others and St Brides, one of my favourite buildings - while taller than the buildings around it, is masked from panoramas by buildings between you and it when you've climbed a building/hill with a decent vista that covers a wide spread of London. Tower Bridge often suffers a similar fate, but you can get some shots of it looking along the river (though the river bends quite a bit, which doesn't help).

kurumi

I'm gonna vote for (not "best", but quite interesting): Pyonyang and the unfinished Ryugong Hotel.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

empirestate

Chicago's is very good, as is Hong Kong's, particularly viewed from above on Victoria Peak. Those two, along with New York, are often ranked among the best in the world. Shanghai can't fail to impress, either, and is rapidly changing. Other impressive American ones would be Seattle, Atlanta and Denver. And Wilmington, DE has to get extra credit for even having a skyline, being a city of only some 70,000.

But Pittsburgh's has consistently had an effect on me, for all the time I lived there. All of the bridges add immensely to the effect, along with the setting among hills and rivers, giving not only added visual interest to the skyline itself, but a myriad of different vantage points from which to view it.

hobsini2

Quote from: empirestate on January 22, 2012, 06:34:14 PM
Chicago's is very good, as is Hong Kong's, particularly viewed from above on Victoria Peak. Those two, along with New York, are often ranked among the best in the world. Shanghai can't fail to impress, either, and is rapidly changing. Other impressive American ones would be Seattle, Atlanta and Denver. And Wilmington, DE has to get extra credit for even having a skyline, being a city of only some 70,000.

But Pittsburgh's has consistently had an effect on me, for all the time I lived there. All of the bridges add immensely to the effect, along with the setting among hills and rivers, giving not only added visual interest to the skyline itself, but a myriad of different vantage points from which to view it.
Agreed with you on HK's skyline from Victoria Peak. I was there in 1996 when they just finished the Bank of China Tower. I haven't seen it since but the pictures of the skyline are impressive.

As for Pittsburgh, I was there on a road trip about 5 years ago and the thing that impressed me was how cleaner the city looked from the last time i was there about 20 years prior. We came in thru the Ft Pitt Tunnel and took the West End Bridge over the Ohio.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

jwolfer

I like the skyline of Jacksonville.  A good view from I-95 over the St Johns River.  On a clear day you can see the skyline from Green Cove Springs  down( north) the St. Johns River

http://www.slrobertson.com/galleries/usa/jacksonville/jax-skyline2.htm

There are  a couple of downtown Jax on the website.  The first one is taken just east of the I-95(fuller warren).  You can also see the Acosta Bridge(the white one)( SR 13) and Main St Bridge (the blue one)( US 1 & 90)

triplemultiplex

Quote from: kurumi on January 22, 2012, 06:32:28 PM
I'm gonna vote for (not "best", but quite interesting): Pyonyang and the unfinished Ryugong Hotel.
This photo shows they've gotten around to finishing the exterior of that hotel.

Pyongyang always reminds me of depictions of the Klingon home world, Qo'noS, in the Star Trek universe:
Qo'noS

Pyongyang
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Landshark

Quote from: Bickendan on June 12, 2010, 05:20:02 AM
I'm very fond of Portland's, especially since the towers in the South Waterfront District have gone up.

I hate Portland's puny skyline.   Seattle and Vancouver, BC both put it to shame.  Seattle suburb Bellevue competes with Portland. 

Sanctimoniously

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 23, 2012, 06:17:13 PM

Pyongyang always reminds me of depictions of the Klingon home world, Qo'noS, in the Star Trek universe:
Qo'noS

+1 for the Trek reference.

As far as my contribution to the topic, I've always liked Chicago. It seems to have a different tone of building and street lighting that I haven't seen anywhere else.

And while it's not very substantial or important by any means, I like Monroe, Louisiana's (the companion to my hometown), if only because I used to see it every day from my front porch.

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

achilles765

New York's is great even if overrated, Chicago's is very pretty but I do love the one here in my city of Houston.  It's big, the buildings are mostly more modern and beautiful.  I don't find Dallas' to be too impressive, even if it does have unique buildings that they alight for Christmas.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

Road Hog

On a clear day you can see the Dallas skyline from Little Elm, which is about 30 miles.

Henry

It's nice to see all that love for my hometown!

Seattle's skyline is among the best in the West. Not just because of the Space Needle, but also the accompanying skyscrapers behind it and the always-spectacular Mount Rainier further back.

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

roadman65

I think the skyline of Cincinnati as seen from across the river in Kentucky is nice to look at.
The best shot of it is the vantage point the producers of the sitcom WKRP in Cincinnati used in the opening credits on that particular program.

NYC
Dallas
Orlando
Tampa
Miami
Pittsburgh (best seen on I-376 EB emerging from the Fort Pitt Tunnel)
Jacksonville
San Fransisco
LA
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

KEVIN_224

Taken from about the mid-span of the Ben Franklin Bridge (I-676/US Route 30), on the southern sidewalk. This was on my last visit to Philadelphia, February 23, 2012:

allniter89

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on October 13, 2012, 02:37:08 PM
Taken from about the mid-span of the Ben Franklin Bridge (I-676/US Route 30), on the southern sidewalk. This was on my last visit to Philadelphia, February 23, 2012:

Unimpressive skyline for a city the size of Philly IMO. Maybe they build more horizontally than vertically? What is the building that looks like an arc on the left side of pic?
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

DeaconG

It would have been more impressive if he'd taken it from the Belmont Plateau in Fairmount Park, but you take what you can get.

Do you mean the Liberty Towers?
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

CentralCAroadgeek

I really like the SF, especially seen from NB 101 going into the City.

LA has a nice skyline.

Austin's and Portland's are pretty nice as well.

The Seattle skyline is great overall, and it's nice from NB I-5. It's even better from the top of the Space Needle.

kendancy66

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on May 25, 2010, 10:56:08 PM
Quote from: golden eagle on May 25, 2010, 10:41:03 PM
I've always wondered about seeing cities like Denver and Colorado Springs from the mountains.

You can also see New Orleans' skyline from quite a distance, particularly coming from the west on I-10. But you are talking about a city below sea level, so that shouldn't be too hard to see.

There's a rural area not too far from where my mom lives and if you hit the right spot, you can see downtown Jackson. It's at least ten miles away,  as the crow flies. It's not like Jackson has an impressive skyline.
Colorado Springs's skyline is easier to see from the mountains because the mountains(such as Pikes Peak) are closer to the city than they are to Denver. Colorado Springs has a pretty low skyline with few distinct buildings though, so there isn't a whole lot to see in terms of a skyline. There are some lower mountains closer to Denver like Lookout Mountain outside of Golden where the Denver skyline can be more easily viewed than from the taller peaks.

If I remember correctly, the New Orleans skyline can barely be seen from the other side of Lake Pontchartrain. Unfortunately, the 1 time I've been on the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway, I was on it going NB, but I imagine going SB that's a pretty impressive approach as the skyline gets closer and closer with nothing to block your view.

You get a real good view of downtown New Orleans buildings and Business US-90 bridge, from Algiers Cutoff Canal Bridge.  It's like it almost appears out of nowhere as the bridge transitions from semi rural on the east side of canal, to crossing the bridge west bound to Gen Degaulle Dr.

Ian

I guess I'm a little partial to my home city's skyline:

(my photo. This was taken at the Camden waterfront)
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

CL

Salt Lake isn't necessarily impressive for the scale of its buildings, but rather what dominates the background:

(or alternately, this more snow-capped version: http://www.flickr.com/photos/utahimages/6326105264/in/faves-countylemonade/)

I'm also a fan of Los Angeles's skyline.
Infrastructure. The city.

Dr Frankenstein

I would say that Philadelphia is my favourite, but I'm not basing this on any set of criterion. Just... feeling.

empirestate

Quote from: roadman65 on October 13, 2012, 01:37:00 PM

Negative; from center grandstand at PNC Park:

IMG_0262 by NateOMatic, on Flickr

Mr_Northside

Quote from: empirestate on October 15, 2012, 12:05:40 AM

Empirestate could be right....  The view from the Ft. Pitt Bridge actually isn't my favorite vantage point of the downtown PGH skyline.  (I'm not sure I could decide what exactly is, but it would be from somewhere else....)

However, the experience (as opposed to a single view) of emerging from the Ft. Pitt Tunnel and crossing the Mon into downtown can't be beat.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

empirestate

Quote from: Mr_Northside on October 15, 2012, 04:30:26 PM
Quote from: empirestate on October 15, 2012, 12:05:40 AM

Empirestate could be right....  The view from the Ft. Pitt Bridge actually isn't my favorite vantage point of the downtown PGH skyline.  (I'm not sure I could decide what exactly is, but it would be from somewhere else....)

However, the experience (as opposed to a single view) of emerging from the Ft. Pitt Tunnel and crossing the Mon into downtown can't be beat.

For sure, as far as a dramatic approach to a city, that's hard to beat. Yet it isn't even the best view you can get of that city's skyline. (I mentioned above that I prefer the view from I-579 to that from I-376; it just doesn't have the surprise factor.)

ghYHZ

Halifax, NS......with a Queen Mary 2 sail-past.

kj3400

Baltimore's small, but imo, it has a pretty impressive view, especially from where I live in the south near I-895 in Brooklyn.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.