News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Dollar Store Backlash

Started by US71, December 28, 2018, 01:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nexus73

Quote from: hbelkins on December 29, 2018, 05:27:27 PM
Guess I need to go copy and paste my comment in the Sears thread in this one.

I like Dollar Tree for a number of things. And yes, I bought one of the Dollar Tree $1 3 oz. ribeyes, ate it, and survived. It was a little tough but not too bad. Dollar Tree recently bought out Family Dollar, and existing Family Dollar stores are being remodeled to include "Dollar Tree dollar spots" where you can find some decent buys, although Family Dollar already had a decent section of $1 merchandise.

They are hit and miss, though. I've been in some really nice, clean ones with a decent selection of merchandise. And some look like they're in perpetual tornado cleanup mode.

Try slow cooking tougher meats.  You can also use a tenderizing hammer on a piece so long as it is not frozen.  After that I would be interested in your take on something which could be tougher than a $2 Texas steak.  In Oregon we ate a lot of venison back in the day.  You want a tough meat?  There ya' go!  Properly cooked it smooths right out though. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

txstateends

And some look like they're in perpetual tornado cleanup mode.

That's one thing I have about dollar stores, messy, scattered, don't look like they care or feel it.  It wouldn't take a whole lot to re-planogram (if the store shelves/items are off kilter at all) or renovate (if it's in worse shape), but I guess that would take a combo-meal of the company putting more $$$ into their stores (might or might not happen) and the store employees making sure everything is stocked and faced well and properly (considering the employees care or are paid more than pocket change).  But judging from what I've seen in my few retail jobs, much of either situation could be a toss-up if the customers don't care and shop (and sample?) like they're rude tornados.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

US71

Quote from: txstateends on December 30, 2018, 02:06:16 AM
And some look like they're in perpetual tornado cleanup mode.

That's one thing I have about dollar stores, messy, scattered, don't look like they care or feel it.  It wouldn't take a whole lot to re-planogram (if the store shelves/items are off kilter at all) or renovate (if it's in worse shape), but I guess that would take a combo-meal of the company putting more $$$ into their stores (might or might not happen) and the store employees making sure everything is stocked and faced well and properly (considering the employees care or are paid more than pocket change).  But judging from what I've seen in my few retail jobs, much of either situation could be a toss-up if the customers don't care and shop (and sample?) like they're rude tornados.

Most have a planogram, but it changes frequently. Of course, the whole idea is to keep you wandering the store looking for more crap to buy.
But they also run on limited help, so there's probably no one to clean things up until the end of the day. I always see boxes left in the middle of an aisle because the stocker had to run the cash register.  It's like 3 people trying to do the work of 8
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cjk374

We had a Family Dollar open in my hometown across from the school back in September. It is grocery-heavy compared to other F.D. stores. This is extremely convenient in case I need something small. It saves me a trip to Grambling (more dollar stores), Arcadia, or Ruston (major grocery stores).

Y'all have some fancy dollar stores if steaks are in their freezers.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

US71

Quote from: cjk374 on December 30, 2018, 01:22:58 PM
We had a Family Dollar open in my hometown across from the school back in September. It is grocery-heavy compared to other F.D. stores. This is extremely convenient in case I need something small. It saves me a trip to Grambling (more dollar stores), Arcadia, or Ruston (major grocery stores).

Y'all have some fancy dollar stores if steaks are in their freezers.

If you can call them steaks. I've seen pancakes thicker than their steaks.

LM117

With the exception of one store (Dollar General Market), the DG stores near me are a disaster. Carts with empty cardboard boxes are blocking aisles instead of being kept in the stock room while everything is disorganized with very narrow aisles to boot. Trying to walk through is like running an obstacle course. One of them has seen plenty of managers come and go, all of them claiming they would clean it up, but they never do. Oh, and you better not be in a hurry since there will only be one register open with a long ass line while the other two employees behind the counter are goofing off and scratching their asses. :banghead:

The Family Dollar stores on the other hand, are clean and neat and will actually have more than one register open when needed. Just be sure to check the expiration dates if you buy groceries since, chances are, they're either expired or fixing to expire.

As for Dollar Tree, if the shitty parking lot layout doesn't raise your blood pressure, the store will. My comments about DG apply here, only it's usually crowded like it's Black Friday, so twice the fun! :ded:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Buck87

Quote from: LM117 on December 31, 2018, 12:32:01 PM
With the exception of one store (Dollar General Market), the DG stores near me are a disaster. Carts with empty cardboard boxes are blocking aisles instead of being kept in the stock room while everything is disorganized with very narrow aisles to boot. Trying to walk through is like running an obstacle course. One of them has seen plenty of managers come and go, all of them claiming they would clean it up, but they never do. Oh, and you better not be in a hurry since there will only be one register open with a long ass line while the other two employees behind the counter are goofing off and scratching their asses.

This pretty accurately describes my town's store, which is a location that dates back to the late 90's early 00's. The newer ones that have popped up in smaller towns in the surrounding area within the past 5 or so years are much better.

inkyatari

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 29, 2018, 09:29:35 AM
I've seen steaks in the freezers at Dollar Tree for $1! I would love to hear from someone who ate one and survived!

I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

abefroman329

Quote from: inkyatari on December 31, 2018, 02:12:39 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 29, 2018, 09:29:35 AM
I've seen steaks in the freezers at Dollar Tree for $1! I would love to hear from someone who ate one and survived!

At least he has the good sense not to call it a "Philly cheesesteak."  Also, what kind of food blogger doesn't own a bread knife? I'm sure they also sell those at Dollar Tree.

abefroman329

Quote from: Buck87 on December 31, 2018, 02:10:33 PM
With the exception of one store (Dollar General Market), the DG stores near me are a disaster. Carts with empty cardboard boxes are blocking aisles instead of being kept in the stock room while everything is disorganized with very narrow aisles to boot. Trying to walk through is like running an obstacle course. One of them has seen plenty of managers come and go, all of them claiming they would clean it up, but they never do. Oh, and you better not be in a hurry since there will only be one register open with a long ass line while the other two employees behind the counter are goofing off and scratching their asses.

This pretty accurately describes my town's store, which is a location that dates back to the late 90's early 00's. The newer ones that have popped up in smaller towns in the surrounding area within the past 5 or so years are much better.
Every dollar store I've ever set foot in has been two steps from anarchy, regardless of its name.

epzik8

I like Dollar Tree and Dollar General. Not really Family Dollar though.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

LM117

Quote from: Buck87 on December 31, 2018, 02:10:33 PM

Oddly enough, I've encountered the opposite. The older DG stores I've been in tend to be more organized with wider aisles, which makes navigating the store easier. The worst ones I've seen were built within the last 6 years.

In the town I grew up, Fremont NC, the DG there was built in 2003 and it had a nice layout. When I was in town last year, I stopped by DG for the first time since 2007 and it now has the same problems mentioned earlier. The only thing that stayed the same was the old store logo. Pikeville, 3 miles south of Fremont, got a pretty good upgrade when DG moved into the former Walmart Express building. They even sell cheap gas. Their old location was in an old Piggly Wiggly building, which has seen better days. That building is now a hardware store.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

hbelkins

For years around here, DG was in leased space and the store layout was subject to the whims of what space was available. Lately, DG has been building standalone stores. And even some of the newer standalone stores have had their floor plans changed a couple of times.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

texaskdog

Again why are we comparing the fake dollar stores to dollar tree?  Recently bought some bowls & cups there.  I always go there for batteries and pens and cards, stuff like that, reading glasses & sunglasses too.

US71

Quote from: texaskdog on December 31, 2018, 07:19:38 PM
Again why are we comparing the fake dollar stores to dollar tree?  Recently bought some bowls & cups there.  I always go there for batteries and pens and cards, stuff like that, reading glasses & sunglasses too.

I bought batteries at Dollar Tree once: they were dead. I was offered an exchange for new batteries, also dead.

ErmineNotyours

abefroman329

Quote from: US71 on December 31, 2018, 08:00:26 PM

I bought batteries at Dollar Tree once: they were dead. I was offered an exchange for new batteries, also dead.
One time I bought a boatload of AA batteries from a guy selling them at an intersection in DC, must've been 5 20-packs for $5 or $10. Most of them were oxidized. I learned an important lesson that day about buying goods that can't be returned or exchanged; fortunately I learned it cheaply.

formulanone

I've had slightly better success with batteries at Harbor Freight Tools; they work, but usually last about one-third as long as Rayovac, Duracell, Energizer, Eveready, et al. I avoid the temptation to stock up on those "Thunderbolts" unless they're just stupid cheap or even free in some of their clear-out or sidewalk sales. When the kids were little, I used to use them around the holidays because there was the chance they'd never play with some of the toys for long.

(Side note, how do those odd-named third-party battery companies work? It seems they only exist in toys, but I guess being able to sell directly to the manufacturer saves millions in advertising and promotion.)

abefroman329

Quote from: formulanone on January 01, 2019, 10:36:38 AMSide note, how do those odd-named third-party battery companies work?
As far as I can tell, as well as name-brand batteries. I can't remember a time when I've had to replace the batteries that came with a device faster than I've had to replace name-brand batteries. One of my old housemates was a bit of a shutterbug and swore IKEA batteries lasted longer than others, but I couldn't say either way.

US71

Quote from: formulanone on January 01, 2019, 10:36:38 AM

I've had slightly better success with batteries at Harbor Freight Tools; they work, but usually last about one-third as long as Rayovac, Duracell, Energizer, Eveready, et al. I avoid the temptation to stock up on those "Thunderbolts" unless they're just stupid cheap or even free in some of their clear-out or sidewalk sales. When the kids were little, I used to use them around the holidays because there was the chance they'd never play with some of the toys for long.

(Side note, how do those odd-named third-party battery companies work? It seems they only exist in toys, but I guess being able to sell directly to the manufacturer saves millions in advertising and promotion.)

My portable CD player had 3rd party batteries when I bought it. They worked OK for what I used it for.

texaskdog

sucks, i get batteries there all the time and they work great

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.