News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Why does I-40 extend past Raleigh?

Started by MantyMadTown, March 19, 2019, 03:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: Tom958 on March 21, 2019, 06:04:07 AM
Quote from: froggie on March 19, 2019, 09:14:54 AM
- An extension of I-40 through Raleigh to end at I-95 was requested and approved by FHWA as part of the 1968 Interstate mileage addition.  Early maps of this extension (which were on an old Gribblenation webpage) suggested I-40 would have extended to I-95 in Smithfield instead of Benson.

So, if I-40 was intended to end near Smithfield, giving the freeway to Wilmington a north-south number such as 97 would've involved either having what's now I-40 seemingly arbitrarily change numbers where the Clayton bypass was eventually to begin, or building the Clayton bypass decades earlier than otherwise justified. I once saw a reference to "the Wilmington-Benson freeway," which implied that there was a concept for a Benson-Raleigh freeway that predated the full Raleigh-Wilmington corridor. As unambiguously north-south as it is, numbering it as I-40 would've been pretty crazy, but extending it to Wilmington made an I-40 designation more... agreeable.
When the I-40 designation was proposed to head to Smithfield, the proposed routing was different than it actually ended up, even around Raleigh.

This was on state highway maps in the 70s. You can see how I-40 would run in the dashed lines. Today, it runs east of Garner, but then straight down. The actual I-40 alignment finally opened in 1988 and 1989 through here. The Clayton Bypass was built later on as a US-70 Bypass, which opened in June 2008.

Mapmikey

- An extension of I-40 through Raleigh to end at I-95 was requested and approved by FHWA as part of the 1968 Interstate mileage addition.  Early maps of this extension (which were on an old Gribblenation webpage) suggested I-40 would have extended to I-95 in Smithfield instead of Benson.

So, if I-40 was intended to end near Smithfield, giving the freeway to Wilmington a north-south number such as 97 would've involved either having what's now I-40 seemingly arbitrarily change numbers where the Clayton bypass was eventually to begin, or building the Clayton bypass decades earlier than otherwise justified. I once saw a reference to "the Wilmington-Benson freeway," which implied that there was a concept for a Benson-Raleigh freeway that predated the full Raleigh-Wilmington corridor. As unambiguously north-south as it is, numbering it as I-40 would've been pretty crazy, but extending it to Wilmington made an I-40 designation more... agreeable.

The 1970 Biennial State Highway report describes the I-40 extension as being to Smithfield.

The 1972 Report describes it to "connect with I-95 near Four Oaks"

1974 reports onward don't describe the interstate system in detail.  The 1980 report has a table showing PE being performed for "Raleigh to I-95"

All the highway reports from 1915-2017 can be accessed here

The NC State Officials didn't start showing I-40 dotted lines until 1985 and showed it from Raleigh to NC 42 in the alignment which was ultimately built.  However, the 1972 Johnston County map shows exactly where in the Smithfield area it was envisioned to connect to I-95, right at today's Exit 97 pretty much where the US 70 Byp overpass is.

wdcrft63

I'm loving all the historical information in this discussion; thanks to everyone for digging up the roots of this story. The fictional suggestions for renumbering are not so useful: the designations of I-40 and I-42 have zero chance of being changed.

Tom958

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 21, 2019, 07:08:54 AMThe 1972 Report describes it to "connect with I-95 near Four Oaks"

That's pretty interesting. Four Oaks is the northern end of US 701, suggesting a scheme to link Raleigh and Wilmington mostly by widening existing US 701 and US 421 and incorporating the freeway bypass of Clinton. That would be at the cost of a less useful route toward Morehead City compared to the Smithfield route, or toward Fayetteville compared to the Benson route.

roadman65

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 21, 2019, 06:48:21 AM

When the I-40 designation was proposed to head to Smithfield, the proposed routing was different than it actually ended up, even around Raleigh.

This was on state highway maps in the 70s. You can see how I-40 would run in the dashed lines. Today, it runs east of Garner, but then straight down. The actual I-40 alignment finally opened in 1988 and 1989 through here. The Clayton Bypass was built later on as a US-70 Bypass, which opened in June 2008.
Its funny that the original plan in the map for I-40 to go to Selma- Smithfield used the plan of current US 70 freeway there.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Tom958

Quote from: roadman65 on March 22, 2019, 11:43:45 PMIts funny that the original plan in the map for I-40 to go to Selma- Smithfield used the plan of current US 70 freeway there.

Ha, I'd call that utterly unsurprising. Surely NCDOT was thinking of Clayton and Smithfield bypasses by then.

Not that it's terribly relevant, but I doubt that there was ever a real intention to build I-40 to I-95 at Smithfield, then have it just stop. What are the chances that it was drawn that way in order to justify an I-40 designation west of Raleigh rather that an odd X85? In recognition of the likelihood that it'd be extended to the coast someday, of course.

sparker

^^^^^^^^
The I-40 rerouting/extension to Wilmington, regardless of directional characteristics, was simply an exercise in a state electing to serve its largest coastal city with an Interstate after the original extension of I-40 east to I-95 was authorized.  While lengthening an all-Interstate route to and from Raleigh from northward I-95 by shifting the junction point from Smithfield south to Benson, it also allowed the state to get a head start on the project by utilizing pre-existing state plans -- which is why it was built in relatively short order.  NCDOT is nothing if not eminently practical; I-40 was going to be extended to I-95 in any case -- why not utilize its presence to further the Wilmington project!  Changing designagtions in mid-stream would have added another layer of obstacles to overcome.

Beltway

Quote from: Tom958 on March 24, 2019, 07:52:36 AM
Not that it's terribly relevant, but I doubt that there was ever a real intention to build I-40 to I-95 at Smithfield, then have it just stop. What are the chances that it was drawn that way in order to justify an I-40 designation west of Raleigh rather that an odd X85? In recognition of the likelihood that it'd be extended to the coast someday, of course.

It was the 1968 Interstate addition between Durham and I-95, and Smithfield was the logical terminus, because for the first freeway connection between Raleigh and I-95, that was the logical position to serve both I-95 South and I-95 North.  Somewhat of a right angle for either way.

That has always been my thought ever since I first saw that on maps in the 1970s.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on March 24, 2019, 07:58:29 PM
Quote from: Tom958 on March 24, 2019, 07:52:36 AM

It was the 1968 Interstate addition between Durham and I-95, and Smithfield was the logical terminus, because for the first freeway connection between Raleigh and I-95, that was the logical position to serve both I-95 South and I-95 North.  Somewhat of a right angle for either way.

That has always been my thought ever since I first saw that on maps in the 1970s.
Interestingly enough, in 1978, the state switched the routing from Smithfield to Benson and to Wilmington.

The 28-miles of US 64 freeway between Knightdale and Nashville was completed between 1975 and 1979. That ties into the 1963 Nashville Bypass, providing a full freeway connection between Raleigh and I-95 North, about the time they shifted I-40 further south. I wonder if that had anything to do with it. Granted, there was a 7 mile gap between the 70s US 64 freeway and I-440 until it was completed in 2006, but the I-95 north connection mostly existed.

Mapmikey

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 25, 2019, 09:01:11 AM

The 28-miles of US 64 freeway between Knightdale and Nashville was completed between 1975 and 1979. That ties into the 1963 Nashville Bypass, providing a full freeway connection between Raleigh and I-95 North, about the time they shifted I-40 further south. I wonder if that had anything to do with it. Granted, there was a 7 mile gap between the 70s US 64 freeway and I-440 until it was completed in 2006, but the I-95 north connection mostly existed.

The evidence against this is that 95% of the US 64 freeway's route btw Raleigh and Rocky Mount was shown as dotted line on the 1968 County Maps of Wake, Franklin and Nash.

Beltway

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 25, 2019, 08:00:24 PM
The evidence against this is that 95% of the US 64 freeway's route btw Raleigh and Rocky Mount was shown as dotted line on the 1968 County Maps of Wake, Franklin and Nash.

VA-288 was on a 1967 planning map as a dotted line, but it wasn't completed until 1990 for the southern section and 2005 for the western section.  Not even sure if there was any real timeline other than being on a 1985 thoroughfare plan.

Likewise for many non-Interstate freeways back then.  Interstate projects were a pretty sure thing with the 90% federal funding from a deep pot of money, that they would be built sooner rather than later.

I-40 to Smithfield was a priority way to get Raleigh connected to both directions of I-95.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sparker

Quote from: Beltway on March 25, 2019, 10:01:16 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on March 25, 2019, 08:00:24 PM

VA-288 was on a 1967 planning map as a dotted line, but it wasn't completed until 1990 for the southern section and 2005 for the western section.  Not even sure if there was any real timeline other than being on a 1985 thoroughfare plan.

Likewise for many non-Interstate freeways back then.  Interstate projects were a pretty sure thing with the 90% federal funding from a deep pot of money, that they would be built sooner rather than later.

I-40 to Smithfield was a priority way to get Raleigh connected to both directions of I-95.

The 1968 additions to the chargeable (90%) Interstate system were the last of the "automatically" funded routings save some mileage transfers and Howard-Kramer adjustments down the line; like all other federal outlays subsequent Interstates have had to wait in line for federal funds (at 80% maximum) to be appropriated -- and this is also applicable to the "high priority corridor" compendium -- no more guaranteed highway funding pool.   So the only part of I-40 that would qualify for the original higher level of funding would be the portion west of I-95; funding for anything east (or, as it turned out, southeast) of there would have to be cobbled up separately.   It is likely that NCDOT back in 1978 simply assessed the tradeoff of an efficient I-95 bi-directional access route to Raleigh versus getting partial funding for their longstanding Raleigh-Wilmington corridor concept and concluded that their interests would be better served with the latter option.  Thus a more direct Interstate-signed pathway to Raleigh from northward I-95 remained a dormant concept for about 30 years until the now-superseded I-495 was planned & authorized along US 64 (and subsequently replaced by the longer I-87).  And, ironically, the under-development I-885 in Durham provides an additional Interstate pathway (albeit a bit indirect) north out of greater Raleigh via I-85.  In a few short years effectual Interstate-signed access to and from Raleigh to Richmond and points north will have gone from nothing to a plethora of choices.  Such is the current modus operandi in NC -- provide as much Interstate service to as many places as physically and fiscally possible.     

goobnav

To add to Raleigh to Richmond equation will be the conversion of Capital Boulevard to a freeway from I-540 to the freeway section just outside Henderson.  Judging by previous timelines, that'll probably be 2080 before it is done.
Life is a highway and I drive it all night long!

Mileage Mike

Growing up in I believe like 4th or 5th grade there was a class call NC History and the part that discussed the I-40 extension to Wilmington mentioned that NC was debating between having I-40 follow the US 70 corridor to Morehead City or route it to Wilmington. Of course it was ultimately decided to route it Wilmington.

MantyMadTown

Quote from: Cemajr on March 30, 2019, 09:06:21 PM
Growing up in I believe like 4th or 5th grade there was a class call NC History and the part that discussed the I-40 extension to Wilmington mentioned that NC was debating between having I-40 follow the US 70 corridor to Morehead City or route it to Wilmington. Of course it was ultimately decided to route it Wilmington.

I'm surprised you learned about freeways in an elementary school history class.
Forget the I-41 haters

Mileage Mike

Quote from: MantyMadTown on March 31, 2019, 12:06:36 AM
Quote from: Cemajr on March 30, 2019, 09:06:21 PM

I'm surprised you learned about freeways in an elementary school history class.

Yeah if I recall I think it was just a few short paragraphs talking about I-40. This was in the mid 90s so it was a big deal I guess in regards to NC infrastructure and the highway had just recently been completed.

goobnav

The mid '90's?  40 was already completed to Wilmington by then.

sprjus4

Quote from: goobnav on March 31, 2019, 03:27:32 PM
It's called history class. History, I.E. happened in the past. I-40 happened before they learned about it. It's history.

goobnav

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 31, 2019, 04:16:41 PM
Quote from: goobnav on March 31, 2019, 03:27:32 PM
It's called history class. History, I.E. happened in the past. I-40 happened before they learned about it. It's history.

5 years is recent history the route was completed in 1990, can understand Social Studies class but, not history.

texaskdog

Quote from: MantyMadTown on March 20, 2019, 12:36:28 AM
It looks like Interstate 87 is planned along the US 64 corridor from Raleigh to Rocky Mount and Williamston and continue on to Elizabeth City and eventually Norfolk (via US 17). So at least there will be an interstate along the corridor I mentioned.

time to flip those numbers

orulz

The debate over the routing of I-40 east of Raleigh is Vietnam War era stuff. I was in elementary school in the early 90s and they certainly talked about the Vietnam War (although I guess our curriculum must not have been good enough to cover things like interstate highway routings.)

The Blue->Red flip in the 2010 Red Wave and the subsequent reinforcement gerrymandering is probably in history books by now, as well it should be. History is at its best when it connects directly to current events.

Sort of similar, but one of my sixth grade social studies group projects was to learn more about the I-26 connector. This was 1993 and they were trying to decide on the route - an outer bypass (cutting through the Leicester/Sandy Mush area) or through town, the solution they eventually arrived at. Another group, as I recall, was studying road widenings, including Merrimon Avenue, which, guess what, is still also relevant even today.

MantyMadTown

Quote from: orulz on March 31, 2019, 09:23:18 PM
The debate over the routing of I-40 east of Raleigh is Vietnam War era stuff. I was in elementary school in the early 90s and they certainly talked about the Vietnam War (although I guess our curriculum must not have been good enough to cover things like interstate highway routings.)

The Blue->Red flip in the 2010 Red Wave and the subsequent reinforcement gerrymandering is probably in history books by now, as well it should be. History is at its best when it connects directly to current events.

Sort of similar, but one of my sixth grade social studies group projects was to learn more about the I-26 connector. This was 1993 and they were trying to decide on the route - an outer bypass (cutting through the Leicester/Sandy Mush area) or through town, the solution they eventually arrived at. Another group, as I recall, was studying road widenings, including Merrimon Avenue, which, guess what, is still also relevant even today.

Was North Carolina primarily blue downballot before the 2010 midterms? I always thought North Carolina had a history of being solid Republican before recently (with the exception of the 2008 presidential election where they voted for Obama instead of McCain). Wisconsin had a history of being more Democratic before 2010 when Scott Walker took office and Republicans took control of the state Senate and Assembly. I'm wondering if it was like that in North Carolina.

Since we're at the topic of learning about freeways in school, I wish I learned about the Milwaukee freeway revolts taking place around that time, in the 60s and 70s.
Forget the I-41 haters

orulz

NC's state legislature was gerrymandered to heavily favor Democrats for decades prior to 2010. An unprecedented Red Wave combined with a number of scandals in the state Democratic party in 2010 made the Republican vote strong enough to finally overcome that gerrymander. Then in 2010, the Republicans took Gerrymandering to the next level, making districts that some speculate are strong enough to maintain the Republican majorities regardless of any election result that's actually feasible in real life.

On statewide offices like senators, governor, and president, NC tends to split between Republican and Democrat results and has been this way for decades. Maybe leaning Democrat for governor and Republican for President, but definitely a swing state in most races.

wdcrft63

Quote from: orulz on April 01, 2019, 09:53:46 AM
NC's state legislature was gerrymandered to heavily favor Democrats for decades prior to 2010. An unprecedented Red Wave combined with a number of scandals in the state Democratic party in 2010 made the Republican vote strong enough to finally overcome that gerrymander. Then in 2010, the Republicans took Gerrymandering to the next level, making districts that some speculate are strong enough to maintain the Republican majorities regardless of any election result that's actually feasible in real life.

On statewide offices like senators, governor, and president, NC tends to split between Republican and Democrat results and has been this way for decades. Maybe leaning Democrat for governor and Republican for President, but definitely a swing state in most races.
All true. But for purposes of this forum, the important thing is that NC Democrats and Republicans generally agree on the desirability of building more roads. The push for more freeways began long before 2010 and continues, as we all see, with little change down to the present.

orulz

When the Republicans took control, one of the things they did was to revise the distribution of funds. Mostly it was to make the process less political and more data-based, which in my opinion has been a good change. Perhaps counter-intuitively, this has resulted in modestly *less* money for rural freeways (who you would think would be the ones Republicans would favor) and *more* money for urban and suburban areas. But yes, there is a strong bipartisan consensus in favor of roads in NC, as evidenced by its relatively high gas tax (as compared to its neighbors.) NC's gas tax is set such that even after the rebalancing from the new prioritization process, we can still afford to keep building rural interstates as well as upgrade our urban roads.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.