News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

IN US 31 Kokomo Bypass Upgrade Report

Started by mukade, June 26, 2011, 04:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JREwing78

They weren't exactly generous with the width of the overpass. You *might* be able to jam 3 lanes of traffic through the northbound side, but you wouldn't have much shoulder width.

Would it be a problem within the next 50 years? Probably not. But how much more money would a 24-foot longer bridge cost?

silverback1065

Quote from: JREwing78 on December 04, 2016, 01:35:43 AM
They weren't exactly generous with the width of the overpass. You *might* be able to jam 3 lanes of traffic through the northbound side, but you wouldn't have much shoulder width.

Would it be a problem within the next 50 years? Probably not. But how much more money would a 24-foot longer bridge cost?

i doubt they'll ever widen it, it's weird that there's no extra lane opening for the exit ramp

silverback1065

How does sr 931 traffic compare now to before the bypass?

monty

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 04, 2016, 10:43:04 AM
Quote from: JREwing78 on December 04, 2016, 01:35:43 AM

i doubt they'll ever widen it, it's weird that there's no extra lane opening for the exit ramp

This project was subjected to a lot of "cost saving" trimming by INDOT compared to the original selected option by the tune of about $9 M.  For example the project was condensed to avoid the need to expand / replace the US 31 bridges over the open ditch immediately south of the project, which impacted the shortening of the exit lane from northbound US 31 to SR 28.  SR 28 was also to be built to a four lane width (two lanes each direction) through the roundabouts (but were only to be marked as single lanes).

I think the finished project is pretty good and flows well.  In the future, some of the trimming of the project may have to be dealt with or modified if traffic levels increase.   Perhaps when the northbound lanes bridge over the open ditch needs re-decking, the exit lane will be established.

On another note, there seems to be (soil?) sampling activity in preparation for the nearby NSRR overpass.  I never have learned what the surveying work performed this summer between SR 28 and the Kokomo freeway was for.  I keep looking for indications for improvements at Division Road, but none have been forthcoming.
monty

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.