News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Your ideal climate

Started by 20160805, August 20, 2018, 10:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Show me the temperatures, rainfall, sunshine, and other weather statistics of your dreams! :D

You can link to a place that has your ideal climate, or make a fake one, as I did here:

Mine includes sunrise/set times and is located at about 20 degrees latitude.  Winters are mild, with average highs in the mid 70s and lows in the mid to upper 50s; summers are very warm, with average highs in the lower 90s and lows in the lower 70s, though it is still relatively comfortable due to the high winds and low humidity, dew points averaging in the 50s in summer.  Precipitation is ample, enough to help keep crops happy and healthy but not so much flooding is an issue; it's also relatively spread out, twice a week on average and generally in the evening.

I've been trying to find my ideal place for several years now - I'd like a climate similar to the one depicted here (though I will compromise to an extent), a good job market and quality of living, and right-leaning politics, and I am well aware that this may not exist anywhere in the US.  I've actually been looking at quite a few places in Australia and Mexico; Gladstone, Queensland, in the former has as good of a climate as I've found, right down to the sunrise/set times.

I'm interested to see just how many warm and cold lovers we have on here! :D
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

hotdogPi

Realistic:

40°F in winter, 80°F in summer. These are averages, but there should never be a day in the 90s with moderate or high humidity.
Moderate rainfall. Winter can get a small amount of snow, but not enough to close roads.

Unrealistic:

68°F, constant.
Rain falls for 12 hours every 5 days and 5 hours, and it is entirely predictable. (It definitely should not be the same day each week, and it should also be at different times of day each time.) No lightning at least until we figure out how to use it as electricity.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

ET21

30-50 during the winter, 60-80 during the summer. Hardly any humidity (anything below 65 degree dewpoint). Long as I don't see too much wintry precip I'll be content.

My preferred time of year is late September to early Nov in Chicago. Dry warmth and cool nights
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Max Rockatansky

80 is about perfect.  That way it's probablt 50-60 in the mountains and enough to preserve some snow cover.  I prefer little to no rain but I like snow. 

Brandon

For me, summer highs in the 80s at most, lows in the winter can be about 5 or so (with highs below 32).  Snow is always good, maybe 100-200 inches or so.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

texaskdog

I love the Austin climate.  Really these days you can live wherever you want so why not?

NWI_Irish96

December-February: Highs near 30, lows near 20, one occurrence of 3" snowfall per week
March-May, September-November: Highs near 65, lows near 50
June-August: Highs near 80, lows near 60
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Quote from: cabiness42 on August 20, 2018, 01:30:58 PM
December-February: Highs near 30, lows near 20, one occurrence of 3" snowfall per week
March-May, September-November: Highs near 65, lows near 50
June-August: Highs near 80, lows near 60
Lower the spring/fall temps by about 10 degrees and it's pretty darn similar to my home climate: average high and low in Jan 26/10, Jul 83/63, and about a foot of snow per month in winter.  Personally (as you can see in my OP), winter is far too long and cold around here for my tastes, but to each his own!

ce929wax

Southeastern New Mexico.  I like warm, sunny winters and dry hot summers, with occasional thunderstorms in the spring.  I can handle one good snowfall each year, but that's it. 

Beltway

I actually like hot weather.  I don't care for winter ice and snow.  I could live in the Florida Keys if not for having to worry about hurricanes.

I did grow up in a beachfront community on the central Florida east coast.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

MantyMadTown

Warm, dry summers and cool, wet winters. I like rain and snow but not too much all at once. I would definitely prefer winter to be snowy! I would prefer upper 70s during the summer but I wouldn't mind 80s as long as it's not humid.
Forget the I-41 haters

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Beltway on September 13, 2018, 08:37:21 PM
I actually like hot weather.  I don't care for winter ice and snow.  I could live in the Florida Keys if not for having to worry about hurricanes.

You get those stray cold fronts on occasion in the Florida Keys in the winter, they usually roll in after heavy rains.  55F with 35 MPH winds is brutal in a pre-fab with no insulation and no heating system.

Beltway

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 13, 2018, 10:48:55 PM
You get those stray cold fronts on occasion in the Florida Keys in the winter, they usually roll in after heavy rains.  55F with 35 MPH winds is brutal in a pre-fab with no insulation and no heating system.

No home heating at all in the Keys?  Houses in our area had small central heating units connected to a small LPG tank outside the house.  Didn't need them very often but were needed when temps dropped into the 50s or 40s.

No home insulation?  You need that to hold the AC in during hot weather.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Beltway on September 13, 2018, 11:51:46 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 13, 2018, 10:48:55 PM

No home heating at all in the Keys?  Houses in our area had small central heating units connected to a small LPG tank outside the house.  Didn't need them very often but were needed when temps dropped into the 50s or 40s.

No home insulation?  You need that to hold the AC in during hot weather.

Three ACs to be exact, the good news was that it rarely ever peaked over 90 even in the summer in the Keys.  Usually kept one AC running in the living room for the dog during the day and shut the other two off in the bedrooms until sundown.  Fortunately having lived in Arizona for 13 years prior to that got me pretty used to 85-88F daytime temperatures indoors.  For what it was worth I was paying way under market value for my rental down there and I wasn't going to complain given it was kind of a once in a lifetime deal to be down there for a year.  Granted I had to make sure that the lease was void if a hurricane wiped out the structure and I had to do a lot of spot repairs.  I more or less found that most buildings and homes in the Lower Keys had some sort of post-Katrina damage and/or had general neglect from elderly property owners who couldn't afford upkeep.  I want to say the average rental price in Key West was $1,900 a month at the time. 

Interstate 69 Fan

I love for little cloudy days where the temperature is the high 80’s (86-89)
God days like this are my favorite!

And then it drops to 10 degrees for Winter. I strongly dislike winter.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on September 14, 2018, 02:04:49 PM
I love for little cloudy days where the temperature is the high 80's (86-89)
God days like this are my favorite!

And then it drops to 10 degrees for Winter. I strongly dislike winter.

I agree!

82*F, dew point 50*F, brisk 10-15 mph wind, and partly cloudy skies would be a perfect weather condition any month of the year. :D

DaBigE

Simple: Fall 24/7/365.

Highs: 60-70 F, Dew Point: low/mid-50s, Lows: 45-50 F. No need for A/C. Still able to wear shorts during the day; perfect sweatshirt/bonfire weather at night.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

index

Average high would be 40 for winter, 50 for spring, 60 for summer, 50 for fall. Steady, moderate rain almost all the time, with a light fog and a gentle breeze almost all the time too, with a thick layer of cloud cover that makes the sunlight less brighter throughout the day. (not sure how else to describe that with the sunlight?)

10 inches of snow a winter is fine for me. Having long, extended days throughout most of the year would be nice. Humidity isn't a problem for me unless it's warm to hot.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Quote from: index on September 15, 2018, 01:07:09 PM
Average high would be 40 for winter, 50 for spring, 60 for summer, 50 for fall. Steady, moderate rain almost all the time, with a light fog and a gentle breeze almost all the time too, with a thick layer of cloud cover that makes the sunlight less brighter throughout the day. (not sure how else to describe that with the sunlight?)

10 inches of snow a winter is fine for me. Having long, extended days throughout most of the year would be nice. Humidity isn't a problem for me unless it's warm to hot.

Rain almost all the time?  That sounds terrible!  Plus, what would be able to grow in the constantly cloudy, 700" rain per year environment?

DaBigE

Quote from: 20160805 on September 16, 2018, 02:54:02 PM

Rain almost all the time?  That sounds terrible!  Plus, what would be able to grow in the constantly cloudy, 700" rain per year environment?

You never said it had to be a logical climate. I'm sure someone wants snow all the time...nothing will grow in the dead of winter.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

jakeroot

Quote from: DaBigE on September 15, 2018, 03:01:08 AM
Simple: Fall 24/7/365.

Highs: 60-70 F, Dew Point: low/mid-50s, Lows: 45-50 F. No need for A/C. Still able to wear shorts during the day; perfect sweatshirt/bonfire weather at night.

That sounds nice, as long as it's not raining. Fall over here is just showers everyday (though only slightly lower temperatures).

index

By rain almost all the time I had more in mind like the temperate rainforest area in the PNW where a good rain is an almost daily thing in a few select areas, I suppose you could describe that with "it happens all the time". I also really, really like rain. Maybe too much. I always have though.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

jakeroot

Quote from: index on September 16, 2018, 08:20:28 PM

By rain almost all the time I had more in mind like the temperate rainforest area in the PNW where a good rain is an almost daily thing in a few select areas, I suppose you could describe that with "it happens all the time". I also really, really like rain. Maybe too much. I always have though.

You're not alone. A lot of PNW residents like the rain. Reduced wildfire chances, lots of green, plenty of trees, cleans the air, etc. Rain isn't always the most compliant weather for outdoor activities, but all its positives is why so many California residents are running north, and why the Cascadia region will continue to thrive.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on September 16, 2018, 11:21:19 PM

You're not alone. A lot of PNW residents like the rain. Reduced wildfire chances, lots of green, plenty of trees, cleans the air, etc. Rain isn't always the most compliant weather for outdoor activities, but all its positives is why so many California residents are running north, and why the Cascadia region will continue to thrive.

The Washington/Northwest rain barely is a drizzle compared to some of the downpours I used to encounter in Florida and Michigan.  Really though as nice a Washington summer really is the doom and gloom really got to me growing up in Michigan so I'm sure for me that would wear old fast.  Running was never an issue for me outside in Washington levels of rain, in Florida lightning was a deterrent and out in California it slicks up asphalt too much.  Living in the Fresno area the forest fires don't really bother me, I'd rank the dust storms of Phoenix as a way worse allergy problem and cleanliness issue to deal with. 

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 17, 2018, 12:19:08 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 16, 2018, 11:21:19 PM

The Washington/Northwest rain barely is a drizzle compared to some of the downpours I used to encounter in Florida and Michigan.  Really though as nice a Washington summer really is the doom and gloom really got to me growing up in Michigan so I'm sure for me that would wear old fast.  Running was never an issue for me outside in Washington levels of rain, in Florida lightning was a deterrent and out in California it slicks up asphalt too much.  Living in the Fresno area the forest fires don't really bother me, I'd rank the dust storms of Phoenix as a way worse allergy problem and cleanliness issue to deal with.

I think the non-downpour style rain is what makes Seattle better than similarly wet cities. You don't need to cancel plans/seek shelter whenever there's an afternoon thunderstorm. It's light enough that you can push right through it. Plus, there's hardly ever any significant snow (at least in the cities -- ice and heavier snow are an issue outside cities where it's colder and sometimes higher in elevation).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.