News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Southeast / Re: Interstate 73/74
Last post by carbaugh2 - Today at 08:02:13 AM
I came across a few more videos from the YouTube channel DrivingAroundNC showing various locations of Future I-74 construction, and I am going to post them separately based on the area visited. This one is from mid-April and shows the Beltway interchange with 52 near the 29-minute mark. The driver stays on 52, so we are getting a different view than other recent videos of the area.

Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by ixnay - Today at 07:57:35 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 27, 2024, 07:15:31 AM
Quote from: Henry on April 24, 2024, 10:02:30 PMBut as Alex said, there's no word on when the new bridge will have a different name, so let's just assume that it'll also be called the Key Bridge.

It would be funny if they named it after John Locke.

Why?
Traffic Control / Re: Unique, Odd, or Interestin...
Last post by epzik8 - Today at 07:46:31 AM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on Today at 04:28:55 AMHalf guide sign, half assembly in Grayling MI.  What the... ??

Supplemental signage, I would have to guess.
Traffic Control / Re: Unique, Odd, or Interestin...
Last post by wanderer2575 - Today at 04:28:55 AM
Half guide sign, half assembly in Grayling MI.  What the... ??

During roadwork projects with lane configuration changes, Michigan usually doesn't fabricate temporary overhead signs but instead jury-rigs the existing signs in attempts to make them fit.
Canada / Re: Quebec's Highways
Last post by oscar - Today at 04:27:04 AM
^ Yukon and NWT max out at 90km/h, and Nunavut's roads (the few it has are all locally-maintained, except in territorial parks) even less. AFAIK (haven't been there lately), in Newfoundland the speed limits tend to be 10km/h lower than for comparable highways in Quebec.
Off-Topic / Re: Minor things that bother y...
Last post by wanderer2575 - Today at 04:11:58 AM
Quote from: vdeane on April 27, 2024, 05:14:03 PMA couple money-related ones.  One is the short expiration cycle for rewards points at Price Chopper/Market32/Market Bistro.  The checkouts only give the option to use them when you have more than 500.  You can use them before, but have to specifically request it, so I usually wait until then unless I see that some are expiring.  Well, I somehow missed the thing on my receipts mentioning points expiring (either it's gotten less obvious or I got so used to hitting 500 before this happens that I've stopped checking as vigorously as I should) until I finished checking out today, and now I have a few points expiring by the end of the month with no way to use them in time.

More irritating to me are store gift cards, i.e. actual cash, that expire (how the fudge does cash expire?) or deduct a monthly "maintenance fee" after some number of months after purchase, like they have to take my card balance out for a walk or something.
Mid-South / Re: April bid openings: $1.09 ...
Last post by In_Correct - Today at 01:42:18 AM
Time for this discussion to be locked ?! If any body is concerned about tax dollars being wasted, perhaps they should be concerned that their tax dollars are paying for D.O.T. Employees to hijack discussions, spread narratives and other oppositions, for the most childish of reasons. Keep your toxic attitudes off of here AND the roads.
Mountain West / Re: Phoenix Area Highways
Last post by KeithE4Phx - Today at 01:21:53 AM
Quote from: kernals12 on April 27, 2024, 09:46:48 PMI sincerely hope ADOT plans repave the SanTan Freeway in Gilbert soon. The noise is just deafening.

They repaved and striped the entire Red Mountain Fwy segment of the 202, east of the 101, a couple weeks ago.  I would think they'll do the Santan Fwy segment soon.  The segment between the 10/51 and 101 needs it as well.
Mountain West / Re: Phoenix Area Highways
Last post by KeithE4Phx - Today at 01:19:14 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 27, 2024, 07:22:28 PMA Business 60 designation along old the old US 60 (and old US 70/80/89) alignment through Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa, and Apache Jct. was probably considered unnecessary. There was once a Business 10 in Phoenix: https://www.aaroads.com/interstate-guide/business/ir-010/#arizona, although it seems to have been decommissioned around the time the last segment of Interstate 10 was completed in 1990.

IIRC, ADOT turned Van Buren St. (Phx), Mill Ave/Apache Blvd (Tempe), and Main St (Mesa) to their respective cities at the time.  It still maintains and signs US 60 on Grand Ave. northwest of I-17.  If ADOT doesn't maintain it, ADOT doesn't sign it. 

One gratuitous example:  Country Club Drive/Arizona Ave. through Mesa and Chandler, other than the interchange at US 60 and between the Loop 202 and McKellips Rd.  They are the only segments of AZ 87 still signed south of the 202 Red Mountain Fwy to the Pinal County line.  Yes, there are signs for AZ 87 for Arizona Ave. on the 202 Santan Fwy, but once you hit the off-ramps, there are none.  Arizona Ave. is not signed as 87 anywhere in Chandler, even though there are still a few ADOT mileposts on it between the county line and a couple miles north of the 202.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Maryland
Last post by cpzilliacus - Today at 01:11:07 AM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on April 09, 2024, 01:38:59 PMThere's no ROW there except for the power lines. There is absolutely no way you can put a freeway there.

I respectfully disagree.  Agree that there is no room there now, but
the four 230 kVA lines are carried by lattice steel pylons that date
to the 1960's or maybe 1950's, and form a "beltway" of those lines
across Montgomery County and Prince George's County.  I think it may
be possible (if the old pylons will be replaced) to move the structures
that carry the phase conductors ("wires") to both sides of the
right-of-way and put a road down the middle, where the transmission
line pylons are now. PEPCo has very recently added a new line (looks
like 230 kVA) on steel poles the edge of that same right-of-way (while
keeping the old pylons) north of Gaithersburg (which crosses I-270
between Watkins Mill Road and Middlebrook Road) which is right up
against the trees.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.