News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

I wonder if they considered building Interchange 2 as an alternative to reducing traffic at Interchange 1.

Alex4897

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 19, 2020, 10:29:13 AM
I wonder if they considered building Interchange 2 as an alternative to reducing traffic at Interchange 1.

A partial interchange at SR 72 has been on WILMAPCO's list of unfunded aspiration projects for a while. Page 48, #19 of their 2040 Plan discusses the possibility. Also noteworthy, #18 mentions a potential ramp at Chapman Road as well.
👉😎👉

Tonytone

Quote from: Alex on June 18, 2020, 06:22:11 PM
Quote from: Alex4897 on June 18, 2020, 01:24:55 PM
Related to the earlier Newark signage discussion, these SR 2 shields at Apple Road and SR 896 went up sometime after SR 2 was truncated through Newark. It's interesting to see where Newark's remembering or forgetting about the changes that've been made through town.

Last visit to Delaware, I saw those SR 2 shields on Apple Road and did a double take.  :wow: Swung around in the parking lot and shot this:

Photo from 01-02-19

While going through the remaining Newark photos shot two Christmas's ago that I never got around to posting on the site, I checked GSV on all of the other remaining SR 2 installs across the city (Academy Street, Chapel Street, College Avenue). All assemblies were replaced last year and now only show SR 273 with two exceptions. The shield assembly on Chapel Street south at E Main Street and the one on Academy Street north at Main Street were both removed all together.

Quote from: Alex4897 on June 18, 2020, 01:24:55 PM
I also need get down to the Ogletown Bypass at some point. The work down there at the intersection between SR 273 and Bala Road (the Red Mill Road connector) resulted in an additional eastbound lane being constructed through the intersection to tie into the SR 4 exit, but the updates that were made to the overhead signage for that exit are atrocious and I need to grab some pictures of them. For reference, this sign was the one that was updated.

*awaits with eager anticipation*  :coffee:
That will be the third install of that sign since the bypass opened in 1997. The second (the one pictured above) was a carbon copy of the original:

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tonytone on June 19, 2020, 12:29:07 PM

iPhone

DelDOT:
QuoteWe will like to thank Sally from Grade 2 for the winning sign design. Her creative art work will be on display for all to see for the next 15 years.

sprjus4

You'd think for that cost they could just eliminate the state line toll considering how much revenue it has generated over decades.

Tonytone

I-95 NB being repaved again

Also I-95 from Delaware state line too Exit 2 in PA has been grinded down to the old concrete for repaving on both sides.

iPhone

Tonytone

Marsh Rd Exit

I like how Florida does their Mast arms, however I think Delaware has them beat.

iPhone

jmacswimmer

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 19, 2020, 12:42:41 PM
You'd think for that cost they could just eliminate the state line toll considering how much revenue it has generated over decades.

I do wonder how that interchange would function if the tolls were hypothetically removed.  There'd probably still be a decent amount of southbound traffic on 95 exiting to head into Newark or down towards Glasgow/Middletown, but removing shunpikers from the equation might make a noticeable difference.

OTOH, exit 109 on the Maryland side seems to function just fine with shunpikers factored in (it was previously upgraded from a diamond to a full cloverleaf, if memory serves).

Of course, I don't think DelDOT would ever want to give up that cash cow, even if part of the need for the exit 1 upgrade stems from shunpiking.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Tonytone

Quote from: jmacswimmer on June 19, 2020, 01:25:36 PM

I do wonder how that interchange would function if the tolls were hypothetically removed.  There'd probably still be a decent amount of southbound traffic on 95 exiting to head into Newark or down towards Glasgow/Middletown, but removing shunpikers from the equation might make a noticeable difference.

OTOH, exit 109 on the Maryland side seems to function just fine with shunpikers factored in (it was previously upgraded from a diamond to a full cloverleaf, if memory serves).

Of course, I don't think DelDOT would ever want to give up that cash cow, even if part of the need for the exit 1 upgrade stems from shunpiking.
Put the toll at the Pa/De stateline. Lets become like NY. 

Added bonus (Charge $20 per car).

iPhone

Alex4897

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 19, 2020, 12:40:07 PM

DelDOT:
QuoteWe will like to thank Sally from Grade 2 for the winning sign design. Her creative art work will be on display for all to see for the next 15 years.

My dash cam footage doesn't do the heinousness much more justice, but the shield actually has a thin black outline around it...

Quote from: Tonytone on June 19, 2020, 01:05:49 PM

What's the word on SB? That side was supposed to have a shoulder lane running to the SR 58 exit, but for something so unique to Delaware I've heard surprisingly little about it.
👉😎👉

Tonytone

Quote from: Alex4897 on June 19, 2020, 03:43:51 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 19, 2020, 12:40:07 PM

DelDOT:

My dash cam footage doesn't do the heinousness much more justice, but the shield actually has a thin black outline around it...

Your pic is much better. Its not a bad copy. But they could have done it better.

Quote from: Tonytone on June 19, 2020, 01:05:49 PM

What's the word on SB? That side was supposed to have a shoulder lane running to the SR 58 exit, but for something so unique to Delaware I've heard surprisingly little about it.

SB hasnt been started yet. But im assuming they will start after they finish up around the 141 construction.

Your pic is much better. Its not a bad copy. But they could have done it better.

iPhone

Tonytone

vdeane

Quote from: Tonytone on June 19, 2020, 01:32:21 PM

iPhone
The Thruway uniformly allows people to exit before encountering a toll barrier; the only places a toll exists at the state line is when crossing in to NYC on a Port Authority bridge or tunnel... and half of those booths are on the NJ side!

If DE were like NY, from Maryland to exit 1 would be free, and the toll would be after that.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Tonytone

Quote from: vdeane on June 19, 2020, 08:46:37 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on June 19, 2020, 01:32:21 PM

iPhone
The Thruway uniformly allows people to exit before encountering a toll barrier; the only places a toll exists at the state line is when crossing in to NYC on a Port Authority bridge or tunnel... and half of those booths are on the NJ side!

If DE were like NY, from Maryland to exit 1 would be free, and the toll would be after that.
So the port authority charges tolls for maintenance on all the bridges & tunnels or does it go to NY as well?

Im glad we dont have to pay a toll to cross into PA though, it would cause the whole area & travel to be different. People would probably take the train more.

iPhone

vdeane

NYSDOT itself doesn't charge tolls... all tolls in NY are collected by various government authorities.  The Port Authority itself is a bi-state agency between NY and NJ.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ipeters61

Quote from: Tonytone on June 19, 2020, 01:23:31 PM
I like how Florida does their Mast arms, however I think Delaware has them beat.
The ones at DE-72 and Old Baltimore Pike freak me out a bit.  A few coworkers and I were up there for work a few months ago and I remember us seeing the horizontal arm just slightly bouncing up and down.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Alex

Thanks Alex and Tonytone for posting images of that awful SR 4 / Salem Church Road overhead. Will look forward to seeing that in person...

Continuing work updating Delaware pages on the site with photos from 12/18 and 01/19, I looked into the Elkton Road (SR 279) project that adds a third lane eastbound from Otts Chapel Road to SR 4/896. Two years ago I wrote DelDOT about the lack of signage for SR 279, and perhaps they listened as the sign plans will fully acknowledge SR 279 at the intersection of Christina Parkway (SR 4/896) and Elkton Road (SR 896). SR 279 shields will also be posted after Otts Chapel Road in each direction.

However before we can think, good job contractor, I found this:

At first I thought, SR 896 is getting truncated south of Elkton Road? But nope, its just an erroneous Begin shield added for SR 896 north. The begin shield for SR 279 will be replaced and include a South banner (no begin shield for SR 4 east though). Also noteworthy is that instead of partitioning traffic to I-95 northbound via SR 4 and southbound and all trucks via SR 279, a single I-95 trailblazer will direct motorists southward on MSR 279 to Exit 109 in MD...

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alex on June 20, 2020, 08:48:17 AM
Also noteworthy is that instead of partitioning traffic to I-95 northbound via SR 4 and southbound and all trucks via SR 279, a single I-95 trailblazer will direct motorists southward on MSR 279 to Exit 109 in MD...

Sneaky...

74/171FAN

I contacted DelDOT earlier this week on DE 24 ALT and DE 54 ALT due to the removal of most of the signs on DE 24 ALT and all signs on DE 54 ALT.

DelDOT ultimately told me that these routes did not exist anymore even though you can still find DE 24 ALT on the 2019 Traffic Counts and DE 54 ALT also on the Delaware Routes feature.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alex4897

Quote from: Alex on June 20, 2020, 08:48:17 AM
At first I thought, SR 896 is getting truncated south of Elkton Road? But nope, its just an erroneous Begin shield added for SR 896 north. The begin shield for SR 279 will be replaced and include a South banner (no begin shield for SR 4 east though).

The signage at that intersection as well as other intersections along what used to be SR 2 has been noticeably hit-or-miss ever since they truncated it and halfheartedly added SR 279 several years ago. The SR 4 / 72 intersection in particular is missing route marker signs for 3 out of 4 approaches, and the left turn for SR 896 NB turning west onto Christiana Parkway isn't signed at all from what I can tell.

Honestly I wish they'd go through and simplify the routes through Newark to keep each one on its own respective corridor rather than the current jumbled mess, keep SR 896 on S College, SR 279 on the entirety of Elkton Road / S Main Street, and leave SR 4 alone. Same goes for Middletown's routes now that their main commercial artery is a jumbled mess of concurrencies and segments with no designation at all in the wake of US 301's relocation, though this is all verging on fictional territory
👉😎👉

Tonytone

Good news everyone. The Christiana bridge in Wilmington was opened this weekend.

The construction of the parking lot & roads in the riverfront is about 80% complete with one intersection by the imax almost completed.

I can say this has made the riverfront look very good

Also the Deldot building on the 7 is gated off & closed? Are they blowing the building & building a new one?

iPhone

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Tonytone on July 05, 2020, 03:19:17 PM
Good news everyone. The Christiana bridge in Wilmington was opened this weekend.

The construction of the parking lot & roads in the riverfront is about 80% complete with one intersection by the imax almost completed.

That's this, right?
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7277684,-75.5612067,394m/data=!3m1!1e3

Tonytone

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on July 06, 2020, 06:08:57 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on July 05, 2020, 03:19:17 PM

That's this, right?
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7277684,-75.5612067,394m/data=!3m1!1e3
Correct

iPhone

bluecountry

What is the project going on at I-95 just south of the junction with I-295?

74/171FAN

Quote from: bluecountry on July 17, 2020, 09:32:56 AM
What is the project going on at I-95 just south of the junction with I-295?

I think you are referring to this.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=372.msg2484164#msg2484164
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.