South Dakota

Started by andy3175, May 08, 2021, 07:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy3175

This is a general topic thread for South Dakota roads and highways. I don't think one exists already.

Here is an article related to traffic conditions on Colorado Boulevard in Spearfish. This is the segment that parallels Interstate 90 and US 14-85 between Exit 14 (Business 90 and US 14A) and Exit 17 (US 85).

https://www.bhpioneer.com/local_news/spearfish-reviews-traffic-study-at-colorado-blvd/article_65cfeed2-af6c-11eb-9b68-fb5e1f551bef.html

QuoteAs due diligence in preparation for the 40-acre sports complex being built along with the 180-lot housing development currently under construction near Exit 17, city officials contracted with HDR, Inc. to complete a traffic impact study for the area to see what issues might need to be addressed as the sporting events center attracts more travelers to Spearfish.

The study focused on five intersection points around the development area — the Interstate — 90 on and off ramps at Exit 17; the intersection of Colorado Boulevard and U.S. Hwy. 85; the intersection of St. Onge Road and U.S. Hwy. 85; and the four-way intersection at Colorado Boulevard and Rainbow Road. The study also looked at three entry and exit points to the development area. ...

Two of the intersections would be operating at a service level of "˜F' by 2022 if no improvements were made.

One of those intersections is the westbound ramp terminal at Exit 17; however, that deterioration won't be caused by the development, so those improvements will be monitored and made by the South Dakota Department of Transportation (DOT). The other issue was identified at the intersection of Colorado Boulevard and Highway 85, which the study shows, will be impacted by the development.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

Summer construction season is coming to Sioux Falls...

https://kelo.com/2021/05/07/165550/

Projects include:

+ Interstate Crossroads Interstate 29 & Interstate 90 - Interstate 29 from mile marker 5 to 119 and Interstate 90 from mile marker 380 to 396. Work activities include guardrail upgrades, grading, paving, and culverts

+ Interstate 29 from milepost 62 to 71 - concrete pavement repair and upgrade

+ Interatate 229 and 26th St interchange (Exit 5) Sioux Falls - replacement and upgrade of concrete paving, curb, and sidewalks

+ S.D. Highway 18 through the city of Canton (478th Ave. to the South Dakota state line) - pavement repair, accessible curb and walkways, and related work

+ S.D. 19 from S.D. 42 to Parker and S.D. 44 from Parker to the junction with S.D. 19 - pavement repair, intersection improvements, turn lanes, culverts, and related work

+ SD Highway 46 Beresford - pavement work will restrict traffic to one lane

+ Veteran's Parkway in Sioux Falls - bridge painting and fence installation at Interstate  90 Bridge and Big Sioux River Bridge

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

Landslide repair is underway at South Dakota 36 near Custer State Park. The project will address current damage and help prevent more landslides in the future.

https://www.einnews.com/amp/pr_news/539019360/landslide-repair-on-s-d-highway-36-east-of-custer-state-park-to-begin-this-week

QuoteThe South Dakota Department of Transportation says crews will begin the first phase of a two-phase project with landslide repair on S.D. Highway 36 at mile marker 41.27, east of Custer State Park, on Thursday, April 22, 2021.

SM-G975U

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

SD Mapman

Quote from: andy3175 on May 08, 2021, 07:34:05 PM
This is a general topic thread for South Dakota roads and highways. I don't think one exists already.

Here is an article related to traffic conditions on Colorado Boulevard in Spearfish. This is the segment that parallels Interstate 90 and US 14-85 between Exit 14 (Business 90 and US 14A) and Exit 17 (US 85).

https://www.bhpioneer.com/local_news/spearfish-reviews-traffic-study-at-colorado-blvd/article_65cfeed2-af6c-11eb-9b68-fb5e1f551bef.html

QuoteAs due diligence in preparation for the 40-acre sports complex being built along with the 180-lot housing development currently under construction near Exit 17, city officials contracted with HDR, Inc. to complete a traffic impact study for the area to see what issues might need to be addressed as the sporting events center attracts more travelers to Spearfish.

The study focused on five intersection points around the development area — the Interstate — 90 on and off ramps at Exit 17; the intersection of Colorado Boulevard and U.S. Hwy. 85; the intersection of St. Onge Road and U.S. Hwy. 85; and the four-way intersection at Colorado Boulevard and Rainbow Road. The study also looked at three entry and exit points to the development area. ...

Two of the intersections would be operating at a service level of "˜F' by 2022 if no improvements were made.

One of those intersections is the westbound ramp terminal at Exit 17; however, that deterioration won't be caused by the development, so those improvements will be monitored and made by the South Dakota Department of Transportation (DOT). The other issue was identified at the intersection of Colorado Boulevard and Highway 85, which the study shows, will be impacted by the development.
Yeah the problem with that area is when the city annexed out there they inherited the narrow no-shoulder Lawrence County-maintained service road (which is absolutely terrifying to ride a bike on, least on that stretch) and now they're trying to develop that area over what the county anticipated. I'm not sure what the DOT project on 85 is, but if they add stoplights to Exit 17 and the Colorado/St. Onge intersection that would solve a lot of problems.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

PastTense

QuoteSouth Dakota drivers are paying a deadly toll for disregarding the rules of the road.

Drivers who are speeding, not wearing seat belts, and/or having consumed alcohol and other intoxicants, are dying at a much higher rate than in recent years, according to a report from the state Department of Public Safety.

Because of that bad behavior behind the wheel, more died on South Dakota highways and roads in 2020 than 2019, with 141 people killed in 132 fatal crashes in 2020, according to the DPS. There was a 38% increase in fatalities, as 102 people died on South Dakota highways and roads in 2019.

https://www.bhpioneer.com/local_news/a-deadly-toll-sd-has-highest-increase-in-fatal-crashes-in-the-nation-in-2020/article_c1e02b2a-9efe-11eb-9397-6f626da1e557.html

Surprising.

froggie

Presuming you're being sarcastic in saying "surprising".  Doesn't surprise me at all.  It's been well-documented in much of the nation that the reduction in traffic over the past year due to COVID restrictions has resulted in higher speeds, more crashes, and more fatalities.

Avalanchez71

What is with the I-90 Business Loop being very well signed through Rapid City and then through Black Hawk but no BL 90 sign to be found exiting I-90 EB to the BL90? 

hotdogPi

Quote from: froggie on May 11, 2021, 10:37:15 PM
Presuming you're being sarcastic in saying "surprising".  Doesn't surprise me at all.  It's been well-documented in much of the nation that the reduction in traffic over the past year due to COVID restrictions has resulted in higher speeds, more crashes, and more fatalities.

Since I missed this post a few months ago: the surprising part isn't that it increased, but that a state that didn't shut down as much as other states saw the largest increase.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: SD Mapman on May 11, 2021, 03:59:38 AM
Quote from: andy3175 on May 08, 2021, 07:34:05 PM

Yeah the problem with that area is when the city annexed out there they inherited the narrow no-shoulder Lawrence County-maintained service road (which is absolutely terrifying to ride a bike on, least on that stretch) and now they're trying to develop that area over what the county anticipated. I'm not sure what the DOT project on 85 is, but if they add stoplights to Exit 17 and the Colorado/St. Onge intersection that would solve a lot of problems.

So what is with all of the sudden growth out in Lawrence County anyway?

SD Mapman

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on August 09, 2021, 07:43:16 AM
What is with the I-90 Business Loop being very well signed through Rapid City and then through Black Hawk but no BL 90 sign to be found exiting I-90 EB to the BL90?
The portion from Black Hawk to W. Chicago is unsigned SD 231, DOT signs it as BL 90 because that makes more sense. After that, it's city maintained, and a lot of the signage might be legacy signage since E. North St. was recently reconstructed.

Quote from: 1 on August 09, 2021, 07:45:34 AM
Quote from: froggie on May 11, 2021, 10:37:15 PM

Since I missed this post a few months ago: the surprising part isn't that it increased, but that a state that didn't shut down as much as other states saw the largest increase.
Tourists? Since we didn't really shut down at all (nothing closed in Spearfish except where national chains pushed policies) there've been TONS of out-of-staters going through.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

SD Mapman

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on August 09, 2021, 07:56:46 AM
So what is with all of the sudden growth out in Lawrence County anyway?
People want to live here because we're awesome! Probably a combination of low taxes, pretty scenery, and reasonable access to amenities in Rapid without having to live in Rapid.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Mapmikey

Quote from: roadman65 on October 25, 2021, 10:19:38 AM
Why is there a gate at Exit 400 on I-90 East?

https://goo.gl/maps/uA7CNd3fUt2HDkKx7

Blizzard closure point.  Many cities out west have these at the edge of town so that you have to return to town instead of traveling into a dangerous situation.

At the location you have, there is a gate on I-90 WB at Exit 395.  They are preceded by these signs: https://goo.gl/maps/E69T87mgM1pyrFsx9

msunat97

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 25, 2021, 10:36:44 AM

Blizzard closure point.  Many cities out west have these at the edge of town so that you have to return to town instead of traveling into a dangerous situation.

At the location you have, there is a gate on I-90 WB at Exit 395.  They are preceded by these signs: https://goo.gl/maps/E69T87mgM1pyrFsx9

These are all over the place as you go across i-90.  Wisconsin has them on a lot of the entrance ramps to keep traffic off the interstate for accidents or blizzards.  Seeing them on the highway was unique.  It's a good thing since there are LONG stretches with no exits.  Bad place to get stuck in a blizzard.

edwaleni

Quote from: msunat97 on October 27, 2021, 10:12:53 AM
Quote from: Mapmikey on October 25, 2021, 10:36:44 AM

These are all over the place as you go across i-90.  Wisconsin has them on a lot of the entrance ramps to keep traffic off the interstate for accidents or blizzards.  Seeing them on the highway was unique.  It's a good thing since there are LONG stretches with no exits.  Bad place to get stuck in a blizzard.

Florida and Georgia have them as well for hurricane traffic redirection.

Referring to an earlier post, I have been reading about the higher accident rates during the pandemic in many states and it has really baffled the researchers.

The simple answer is lack of traffic removes impediments but I think that is too broad a stroke.  If anyone has a link to more detailed research data, I would love to read more on it.

2020 was also a record year for RV travel in the US. RV sales nationally have been at record highs. Would be interested to know if that played a role in any of the statistics.

SoDakInterstateEnthusiast

"Please like, comment, and share on MySpace, not your space, you freak of nature"

mvak36

Quote from: SoDakInterstateEnthusiast on November 30, 2021, 04:22:54 PM
https://www.i29exit71.com/

yes
Why does the design take 5 years? Seems like it could be done in 1 or 2. Do they not have the funding to build it right away?
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

X99

Quote from: mvak36 on November 30, 2021, 11:06:42 PM

yes
Why does the design take 5 years? Seems like it could be done in 1 or 2. Do they not have the funding to build it right away?
The final IMJR for the I-90 Exit 59 DDI project, which started in early 2021 and is currently ongoing, was approved in 2016. It seems they like to procrastinate a bit with some of these larger projects.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

mvak36

Quote from: X99 on December 01, 2021, 12:09:06 PM

yes
The final IMJR for the I-90 Exit 59 DDI project, which started in early 2021 and is currently ongoing, was approved in 2016. It seems they like to procrastinate a bit with some of these larger projects.

Interesting, seems kind of bass ackwards to me. I would think they could save money on inflation if they do it sooner.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

SD Mapman

Quote from: mvak36 on December 01, 2021, 02:46:03 PM
Quote from: X99 on December 01, 2021, 12:09:06 PM

yes

Interesting, seems kind of bass ackwards to me. I would think they could save money on inflation if they do it sooner.
State government in SD works at its own pace, unless the issue becomes a political football. For instance, there's a bridge out west of Spearfish on a wildlife area that partially washed out (safe for pedestrians and ATVs but not cars) in ~2012 or so. Despite calls to fix the bridge, Game Fish & Parks did nothing until they got called out at a public meeting about a proposed state park (the comment was something along the lines of "Why should we trust GF&P to manage this park when they can't fix a bridge in 5 years?"). The bridge was fixed within the next month.

edwaleni

Ask me again, why are people moving to South Dakota? One smart cookie.

Rothman

Quote from: edwaleni on December 01, 2021, 11:13:16 PM

Ask me again, why are people moving to South Dakota? One smart cookie.
Someone knows how to snag the moderator's attention.  WTG.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/LetuYhCjLdqrDEsp7
Car driving on wrong side of road, but in reality passing the Street Car.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

X99

Quote from: roadman65 on January 30, 2023, 08:19:32 AM

If you rewind down the road a bit, you'll notice that the other car started his pass before the passing zone even started. I get that it's a two lane road but do you really have to be that impatient?
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

SD Mapman

Quote from: X99 on January 30, 2023, 12:48:09 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 30, 2023, 08:19:32 AM

If you rewind down the road a bit, you'll notice that the other car started his pass before the passing zone even started. I get that it's a two lane road but do you really have to be that impatient?

Likely that guy's from Philip or the surrounding environs, road rules tend to get a bit soft out in the sticks if you live out there (e.g. the stop signs by my folks' house are more like yield signs since traffic is non-existent, yes we should do better).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.