News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cheesy/Downright awful local ads

Started by CapeCodder, October 28, 2018, 01:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

I remember back in the 80's and 90's when there was a grocery store chain in Flint and the Tri-Cities (I don't think Midland had one though) called Kessel. The owner did his own commercials and would toss items across the store lol. Dumb ad and then he'd be like Save at Kessel this week, why? Because we're with you.

The whole chain was developed to get rid of the union that Kroger had and the stores were bought back by Kroger in the late 90's.

ibthebigd

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Big John on August 06, 2021, 04:51:49 PM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on August 06, 2021, 08:23:21 AM
anyone who's listened to denver-area radio growing up:

'now you have a friend in the diamond business. The Shane Company. just off arapahoe road on emporia street, one half mile east of i-25'.

somehow i always felt more comfortable knowing i had a friend in the diamond business.
Those were also played in Atlanta (Different locations of course).

well, i learned something new today. i always thought shane co. was a denver thing. didn't realize it was national.
thanks for that!
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

TheHighwayMan3561

'now you have a friend in the diamond business. The Shane Company. just off arapahoe road on emporia street, one half mile east of i-25'.

somehow i always felt more comfortable knowing i had a friend in the diamond business.

Twin Cities had their own version burned into our brains.

"Now you have a friend in the diamond business, the Shane Company. in Minnetonka at 394 and Hopkins Crossroads, and in Woodbury at I-94 and Radio Drive. Open weekdays til 8, Saturday and Sunday til 5. Online at shaneco dot com."

Others I remember:

"Sonju Two Harbors. Where the cars are."

"Go! Go now to Kia of (city)" in an Arnold Schwarzenegger impression
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

roadman65

There was a car dealership in Longwood, Florida that would smash the window of one of his cars in his TV ads.

Then a former Van dealer in Winter Park, before the owner ran for public office, used to jump up and down on his vans and scream during the commercial. Tropic Traveler Vans owned by Artie Grindle was that now defunct dealer.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 07, 2021, 12:10:15 PM

"Now you have a friend in the diamond business, the Shane Company. in Minnetonka at 394 and Hopkins Crossroads, and in Woodbury at I-94 and Radio Drive. Open weekdays til 8, Saturday and Sunday til 5. Online at shaneco dot com."

Others I remember:

What was the car dealer, though?  Eggebrecht?  "Where you the customer are number one."

I knew someone in a band that played in a bar where he showed up.  So, they said between songs, "Welcome to Sparky's, where you the customer are number one."  They discovered he didn't like being made fun of. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: inkyatari on November 02, 2018, 10:30:00 AM
Quote from: ET21 on November 02, 2018, 09:23:31 AM
Local for Chicago as well, "Glenn Learner is the lawyer for you, call 222-2222"

What's funny is as the years went on, his commercials added more CGI and I saw his billboards is such odd places (Like US-30 in Big Rock IL, about 50 miles west of Chicago)

This scuzz has offices nationwide.  I saw ads and billboards for him in Phoenix, AZ back in 2014

He started in Las Vegas, then slithered into Phoenix about 20 years ago.  The firm is now Lerner and Rowe.  I didn't know he/they were in Chicago as well.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

roadman65

Quote from: Rothman on August 07, 2021, 12:52:24 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 07, 2021, 12:10:15 PM

Others I remember:

What was the car dealer, though?  Eggebrecht?  "Where you the customer are number one."

I knew someone in a band that played in a bar where he showed up.  So, they said between songs, "Welcome to Sparky's, where you the customer are number one."  They discovered he didn't like being made fun of. :D

I remember those Schwartzenegger ads in Orlando along with Bill Clinton and later Obama.

I also remember Sonny King Buick- GMC in Orlando had an Andy Rooney impersonator back in the 90s who even had me fooled right to the " I like that."   In fact at the time I watched it, I never knew of the real Andy Rooney. So when my dad watched 60 minutes back then and saw Rooney on their with his catchphrase, I thought he was the car announcer until my dad told me that the guy in the commercial was an imposter of him on 60 Minutes.

Sheryl Crowe

US71

It's just like, it's just like, a mini mall

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bing101

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

inkyatari

I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

bwana39

In Shreveport / Bossier the ORR Kia  radio commercials (to the tune of LaBamba)
You should be driving a KIA
From Orr Kia From Orr Kia.... (I think it loops from here.)

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

ghYHZ

Here in the Maritimes back in the '70s our US TV stations came out of Bangor, Maine and one local program on WVII was 'Dick Stacey's Country Jamboree' along with some real cheesy locally produced commercials.

Dick Stacey owned some local gas stations around the time stations were switching to self-serve.....but Stacey's commercials were 'If your hands smell — we pump the gas!'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COmDN6BVIQE

He also did a commercial for 'Stacey's Plaza Motel' aimed at Canadians...taking Canadian $$ at par. The Jamboree had quite the following here and many Canadians would head down to Bangor to attend along with a weekend shopping trip!

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnMy-9o1tkk

roadman65

There used to be a commercial on WNEW FM in NY back in the late eighties that had a man say " I love you."   He then came out with a jingle sung by some ladies singing "Uncle Steve he loves you"  with Uncle Steve in the background saying he loves his customers.

The problem was his accent where you couldn't figure out if his store is in Canarsie or on Canal Street. However I liked his commercials as though cheesy they were entertaining.

BTW I do not hold his accent against him nor think it's funny.  I know he tries and can't help his mispronunciations of common words and I welcome him being of service to us in industry.

Sheryl Crowe

bing101

Those ads were in San Francisco too on KCBS Radio and KGO-AM! Apparently Shane Company had ads in Minneapolis too besides San Francisco and Denver.

In the San Francisco Shane Co edition the locations were in San Mateo, Cupertino, Walnut Creek.

I-39

Surprised no one has mentioned Woodman's Food Markets in Wisconsin and Northern Illinois.

https://youtube.com/user/WoodmansFood

Great store, but ay caramba....... terrible cheesy ads

iowahighways

I'm unable to find an example online, but if you've ever driven through central Iowa and listened to local radio, you're guaranteed to catch at least one Capital City Motor Company commercial on Des Moines stations. "ApprovedByJoe.com, ApprovedByJoe.com, www dot Approved By Joe dot com!"

Annoying, annoying, annoying. I subscribe to satellite radio for that reason.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

renegade

Any ad that gives the phone number or web address more than three times is fair game for changing the channel.

"Call today! 444-8111!  444-8111!  Call now!  444-8111!  Operators are standing by!  That's 444-8111!  444-8111!  Call NOW!!!  444-8111!"
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

dlsterner

I searched all over the net for video evidence of this one, but was unable to come up with anything.

Back in the late 1970s / early 1980s there was a series of ads that ran on local TV in the Jacksonville FL area for a company called (if I remember correctly) Southern Brick and Stone.

Their spokesperson was a fellow named Dolph, with a crew cut and Bermuda shorts with a telephone handset connected to his belt with a cord.  His schtick was frenetically yelling into the camera about how you needed his products and "Call me today at 555 - 9 OHHHH 92 (paraphrasing the phone number, but there was an "oh" in it), which waving the phone handset in a huge circle during the exaggerated OHHHH.

I later found out that he was Dolph Agloff who was the actual owner of the business.

By chance is there anybody who lived in the area during that time that remembers those cheesy ads?

achilles765

I don't know if you could call them cheesy but we have some famous ads here in Houston...do yourselves a favor and do a YouTube search for "Jim Adler Texas hammer"
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

1995hoo

Quote from: renegade on August 23, 2021, 06:18:35 PM
Any ad that gives the phone number or web address more than three times is fair game for changing the channel.

"Call today! 444-8111!  444-8111!  Call now!  444-8111!  Operators are standing by!  That's 444-8111!  444-8111!  Call NOW!!!  444-8111!"

How times change that by now it sounds funny to me to hear a phone number without an area code first.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: renegade on August 23, 2021, 06:18:35 PM

Are we channeling a bit of Robin Williams "Reality, What a Concept"?

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

vdeane

Destination Kia's ads around here used to be fairly normal (aside from including their pets and kids for whatever reason).  Then the pandemic hit and they went animated - and never went back.  Before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ3ks6uj7aE

After:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4OcE2htavI
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.