News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Cheesy/Downright awful local ads

Started by CapeCodder, October 28, 2018, 01:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

There's a radio ad for a car dealer in the Mohawk Valley that attempts to use a traffic stop as it's theme.  It basically goes like this:
Cop: Are you [dealer owner] at [dealer]?
Motorist: Yes, sir.
Cop: Is that the place with [insert sales pitch 1]?
Cop: With [sales pitch 2]?

This goes on and on for a full minute or two.  It's downright painful to listen to.  But when listening to another ad for a local dealer, it got me thinking about how many ads try to make something that sounds like a normal conversation with all the talking points, and end up sounding like anything but because nobody talks that way.  I actually wrote an example (not a real commercial, though I did use bits of the real ones):

Real Life:
Wife (who sounds like a normal woman): I'm going to Foggs.
Husband (who sounds like a normal man): OK.  See you later.

Commercial:
Wife (who sounds like a character from a 1940s detective movie): I'm going to Foggs.  Foggs Automotive.  In Scotia/Glenville.
Husband (who sounds like a 1940s detective from a movie): Is that the place where every vehicle is only one dime down?
Wife: Yep.  And if you bring home $350 a week, you get up to $30,000 in credit!
Husband: And your engine is covered for life!
Wife: Even oil changes, for life!
Husband: And all you need is a dime!
Wife: One. Dime Down.
Husband: So head off to Foggs today!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

inkyatari

Quote from: vdeane on December 14, 2018, 09:26:42 PM
There's a radio ad for a car dealer in the Mohawk Valley that attempts to use a traffic stop as it's theme.  It basically goes like this:
Cop: Are you [dealer owner] at [dealer]?
Cop: Is that the place with [insert sales pitch 1]?
Cop: With [sales pitch 2]?

This goes on and on for a full minute or two.  It's downright painful to listen to.  But when listening to another ad for a local dealer, it got me thinking about how many ads try to make something that sounds like a normal conversation with all the talking points, and end up sounding like anything but because nobody talks that way.  I actually wrote an example (not a real commercial, though I did use bits of the real ones):

Real Life:
Wife (who sounds like a normal woman): I'm going to Foggs.
Husband (who sounds like a normal man): OK.  See you later.

Commercial:
Wife (who sounds like a character from a 1940s detective movie): I'm going to Foggs.  Foggs Automotive.  In Scotia/Glenville.
Husband (who sounds like a 1940s detective from a movie): Is that the place where every vehicle is only one dime down?
Wife: Yep.  And if you bring home $350 a week, you get up to $30,000 in credit!
Husband: And your engine is covered for life!
Wife: Even oil changes, for life!
Husband: And all you need is a dime!
Wife: One. Dime Down.
Husband: So head off to Foggs today!

My least favorite radio ads are the ones that make it sound like the ad is part of the programming.  There was one for a scam company called "Internet Speedway" which was promoting some wok at home bullshit where the ad started with a DJ saying "We'll return to the program in a minute..." or some such bullshit, and then he'd go into the spiel.

I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

abefroman329

I wish I could wok at home, I'd save a fortune on what I spend at Panda Express  :bigass:

abefroman329

If I haven't mentioned Penny Mustard Furnishings, I'm gonna mention Penny Mustard Furnishings again, because that's how much I hate those commercials.

US71

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 17, 2018, 09:38:30 AM
I wish I could wok at home, I'd save a fortune on what I spend at Panda Express  :bigass:

Wal-Mart sells woks :)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

inkyatari

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 17, 2018, 09:39:08 AM
If I haven't mentioned Penny Mustard Furnishings, I'm gonna mention Penny Mustard Furnishings again, because that's how much I hate those commercials.

What a horrible name for a store.

abefroman329

Quote from: inkyatari on December 17, 2018, 10:43:47 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on December 17, 2018, 09:39:08 AM

What a horrible name for a store.
It is a horrible name, yes.  And I'm sure you've heard these commercials.  They're all over FM radio in Chicagoland.

TheHighwayMan3561

Does Krazy Kaplan's Fireworks do Radio/TV ads? As in, the single most aggressive business I've ever seen when it comes to billboard space purchases. You'll never get that goofy Uncle Sam caricature out of your head after you've driven the south half of I-294 and the Borman Expressway in summer.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

inkyatari

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 17, 2018, 10:43:23 PM
Does Krazy Kaplan's Fireworks do Radio/TV ads? As in, the single most aggressive business I've ever seen when it comes to billboard space purchases. You'll never get that goofy Uncle Sam caricature out of your head after you've driven the south half of I-294 and the Borman Expressway in summer.

"BUY ONE, GET 9 MILLION FREE!"

US71

freebrickproductions

Here in Huntsville, I'd have to go with Charles Pitman's ads, especially his older ones (which I can't seem to find on YouTube, for some reason), so I'll just have to go with this one:

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

KEVIN_224

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 14, 2018, 10:57:52 AM
Thanks, Good Olde Tom for many cheesy local commercials like this:

Man, that acting is top notch, isn't it?  :-D

I'd give an honorable mention to Bob's Discount Furniture...but he's not just Connecticut anymore. I think he's in like 12 or 13 states now, including ME, NY and IL.

Big John

US 89

Quote from: inkyatari on December 18, 2018, 09:05:36 AM

No, that's JoS. A. Bank:

"Buy a suit, get two shirts, 70% off! Buy a third shirt, get a tie, free! at JoS. A. Bank! (Now through Monday)

Brandon

They seem to have a large number of billboards in a state where their product is actually illegal to use.  (That being fireworks and Illinois - doesn't stop the locals from going to Indiana to procure them every 4th of July.)
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

roadman

Quote from: Brandon on December 20, 2018, 01:06:10 PM
Does Krazy Kaplan’s Fireworks do Radio/TV ads? As in, the single most aggressive business I’ve ever seen when it comes to billboard space purchases. You’ll never get that goofy Uncle Sam caricature out of your head after you’ve driven the south half of I-294 and the Borman Expressway in summer.

They seem to have a large number of billboards in a state where their product is actually illegal to use.  (That being fireworks and Illinois - doesn't stop the locals from going to Indiana to procure them every 4th of July.)

The fireworks places in New Hampshire, where the product is legal, do a considerable amount of billboard advertising in Massachusetts, where the product is illegal.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

inkyatari

Quote from: US 89 on December 19, 2018, 11:46:05 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on December 18, 2018, 09:05:36 AM

No, that's JoS. A. Bank:

"Buy a suit, get two shirts, 70% off! Buy a third shirt, get a tie, free! at JoS. A. Bank! (Now through Monday)

US71

A regional chain of furniture stores based in Oklahoma, Furniture Factory Outlet (now known as FFO Home) featured Edna and Earl.

Another ad featured Earl saying "Furniture Factory Omelet", or "Funnier Factory Outlet".

Earl was Harlan Jordan. from Kaufman, Texas. His voice was heard on Wolf Brand Chili commercials "Neighbor, how long has it been since you had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili? Well, that's too long!"

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Brandon on December 20, 2018, 01:06:10 PM

MN (illegal) and WI (legal) have a similar symbiotic relationship. I don't think I've seen many billboards in MN advertising WI fireworks shops, but I have heard radio ads for such.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

KEVIN_224

I've heard a radio ad here in CT for a fireworks place in West Chesterfield, NH. It's just over the Connecticut River from Brattleboro, VT, along NH Route 9. I think it's called Area 51. I remember seeing a UFO looking fixture by its entrance while walking around there once. Funny to heard the ad distinctly mention "Take VERMONT Exit 3 and head east".

I have also seen ads for Phantom Fireworks in PA, along the interstates in NJ and NY near the border. One in particular was along I-80 West in NJ near Delaware Water Gap, PA.

kevinb1994

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on December 19, 2018, 11:17:54 PM

I'd give an honorable mention to Bob's Discount Furniture...but he's not just Connecticut anymore. I think he's in like 12 or 13 states now, including ME, NY and IL.

Yeah Bob's is now as far west as CA and as far south as VA.

kevinb1994

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on December 22, 2018, 07:28:42 AM
I've heard a radio ad here in CT for a fireworks place in West Chesterfield, NH. It's just over the Connecticut River from Brattleboro, VT, along NH Route 9. I think it's called Area 51. I remember seeing a UFO looking fixture by its entrance while walking around there once. Funny to heard the ad distinctly mention "Take VERMONT Exit 3 and head east".

I have also seen ads for Phantom Fireworks in PA, along the interstates in NJ and NY near the border. One in particular was along I-80 West in NJ near Delaware Water Gap, PA.

We once got our fireworks from there I think...or it was the Easton location. Don't remember exactly the exact location where we bought them.

kevinb1994

Quote from: jemacedo9 on October 29, 2018, 01:02:42 PM
Quote from: cl94 on October 29, 2018, 12:37:34 PM
Then you have the Fuccillo chain of auto dealerships:

The Fuccillo ads always made me laugh out loud. 
To see them in "rapid fire" - priceless!!

We have Fuccillo dealerships in our area as well. Can't say we appreciate his commercials, though.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: kevinb1994 on December 22, 2018, 04:11:09 PM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on December 19, 2018, 11:17:54 PM

Yeah Bob's is now as far west as CA and as far south as VA.

And Good Olde Tom has a couple locations in the Phoenix area from what I saw. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

bing101

Lawyer Ads in general are cheesy though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.