News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Cheesy/Downright awful local ads

Started by CapeCodder, October 28, 2018, 01:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWpvFTPC1is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK-w5_UJTjk

Furniture USA they used to be big in the San Jose area but theres been stories of Ed Barbara being accused of Fraud at one point.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on December 22, 2018, 07:28:42 AM
I've heard a radio ad here in CT for a fireworks place in West Chesterfield, NH. It's just over the Connecticut River from Brattleboro, VT, along NH Route 9. I think it's called Area 51. I remember seeing a UFO looking fixture by its entrance while walking around there once. Funny to heard the ad distinctly mention "Take VERMONT Exit 3 and head east".

I have also seen ads for Phantom Fireworks in PA, along the interstates in NJ and NY near the border. One in particular was along I-80 West in NJ near Delaware Water Gap, PA.

I think I stopped there once.  I was driving up US 209 taking the back way from Lancaster, PA to the Lake George area, and I stopped at a place called Odd Lots in East Stroudsburg just after getting off PA 33.  They had quite the supply of fireworks, including bottle rockets, which you can't get in NH.  Looks like the fireworks store is in a separate building now.

poconofireworks.com

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

1995hoo

This ad featuring two Caps players is airing regularly this year:

(Never mind that ordering via an app IS ordering online....)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

US71

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 05, 2019, 09:50:27 PM

They sound like they've take a few pucks to the head.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

1995hoo

Quote from: US71 on February 15, 2019, 09:45:43 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 05, 2019, 09:50:27 PM

They sound like they've take a few pucks to the head.

In Burakovsky's case, English is not his first language (he's Swedish), so I suppose that excuses a bit.

My wife says they sound like they're reading from cue cards and not doing it very well.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

I can't stand this Capital One commercial that's been on both YouTube and streaming TV services for a while now.  It's the one that shows Taylor Swift choosing what to wear for the day, and all she has in the closet are cardigans.  Then the spokesman says of choosing to bank with Capital One:  "Is it really a decision?"

Yes, Capital One, actually it is.  There are plenty of banks out there, so here's how you sound to my ears:  If you don't bank with Capital One, you're basically an idiot.  Gee, thanks for being so condescending.  Someone thought that would be a good marketing strategy, huh?  No thanks.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: kphoger on August 05, 2021, 12:46:41 PM
I can't stand this Capital One commercial that's been on both YouTube and streaming TV services for a while now.  It's the one that shows Taylor Swift choosing what to wear for the day, and all she has in the closet are cardigans.  Then the spokesman says of choosing to bank with Capital One:  "Is it really a decision?"

Yes, Capital One, actually it is.  There are plenty of banks out there, so here's how you sound to my ears:  If you don't bank with Capital One, you're basically an idiot.  Gee, thanks for being so condescending.  Someone thought that would be a good marketing strategy, huh?  No thanks.

The other one that's also playing is the one with the kids playing basketball at a playground where they're choosing teams, and Charles Barkley celebrates that he is the first one picked.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Big John

There is one for Feldco windows.  It starts with ice cream truck music, but it is a window salesman and all the adults are overly excited to see him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi3VF2k0znI

Scott5114

Quote from: txstateends on December 14, 2018, 01:29:10 AM
From the Dallas area, a dumpy furniture store...

The guy in the video is named Johnny Ross. He got hired to do commercials for small businesses like these in cities throughout the country. He actually lived on the same street as me in Goldsby when I was growing up.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

zachary_amaryllis

anyone who's listened to denver-area radio growing up:

'now you have a friend in the diamond business. The Shane Company. just off arapahoe road on emporia street, one half mile east of i-25'.

somehow i always felt more comfortable knowing i had a friend in the diamond business.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

tchafe1978

The grocery store chain HyVee has some annoying ads running for about the last year. They've remade the 80's pop hit "Our House, in the Middle of the Street" into a jingle for their ads. It's so annoying hearing that jingle, and then to hear the actual song play half a dozen times throughout the day over the PA at work.

GaryV

There was a furniture store jingle, "You've got an uncle in the furniture business, Joshua Doore."

Not a local ad, but one I thought never made any sense.  One of the chain office supply stores used, "Takin' Care of Business".  They neglected to note that the end of the chorus is "workin' overtime" - something I'm sure they didn't really want to associate with shopping at their stores.

Henry

If you like to play the grammar police, then you'll be offended by Chick-fil-A's ads where almost every word is spelled wrong, "EAT MOR CHIKIN" being the primary example.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: tchafe1978 on August 06, 2021, 10:15:16 AM
The grocery store chain HyVee has some annoying ads running for about the last year. They've remade the 80's pop hit "Our House, in the Middle of the Street" into a jingle for their ads. It's so annoying hearing that jingle, and then to hear the actual song play half a dozen times throughout the day over the PA at work.

Allstate also uses it to advertise home insurance. 

kphoger

Quote from: Henry on August 06, 2021, 01:31:04 PM
If you like to play the grammar police, then you'll be offended by Chick-fil-A's ads where almost every word is spelled wrong, "EAT MOR CHIKIN" being the primary example.

I like to play the grammar police, but I'm not offended by CFA's ads.  I have no problem with words that are very obviously and intentionally spelled wrong for a reason (in this case, the reason being that they're written by cows).
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

The more concerning thing to me about CFA's "EAT MOR CHIKIN" posters (and just their posters, not going to get into their politics) is that they seem really out of step with the rest of their business. Their store in East Norman feels a lot like I'm in the kitchen of a bland suburban mom who cares very much about keeping up appearances, who has invited me over to express disdain for the fact that her daughter might not make the cheerleading squad this year–I half-expect to see a "Live, Laugh, Love" plaque on the wall somewhere. The "My Pleasure" routine definitely enhances the Stepford vibe of the whole place. And their more recent TV ads feature plucky music over people purporting to be CFA employees discussing their product while sitting on those too-high stools that people with more marketing degrees than sense think people like to sit in.

In comparison, the "EAT MOR CHIKIN" stuff feels like a vestigal remnant of a time when CFA was just that weird chicken place you could only go to as a part of a trip to the mall, before they had a drive thru or a lobby to decorate.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 06, 2021, 02:55:14 PM
The more concerning thing to me about CFA's "EAT MOR CHIKIN" posters (and just their posters, not going to get into their politics) is that they seem really out of step with the rest of their business. Their store in East Norman feels a lot like I'm in the kitchen of a bland suburban mom who cares very much about keeping up appearances, who has invited me over to express disdain for the fact that her daughter might not make the cheerleading squad this year–I half-expect to see a "Live, Laugh, Love" plaque on the wall somewhere. The "My Pleasure" routine definitely enhances the Stepford vibe of the whole place. And their more recent TV ads feature plucky music over people purporting to be CFA employees discussing their product while sitting on those too-high stools that people with more marketing degrees than sense think people like to sit in.

In comparison, the "EAT MOR CHIKIN" stuff feels like a vestigal remnant of a time when CFA was just that weird chicken place you could only go to as a part of a trip to the mall, before they had a drive thru or a lobby to decorate.

I'll take that over creepy old Ronald McDonald any day.

Male pronouns, please.

renegade

There's a furniture store chain based in Michigan that uses "The Stars and Stripes Forever" as background music in their ads, starting about a month before Memorial Day continuing through Halloween every year.  I like to consider myself patriotic, but hearing it 6-8 times per hour all day on the TV gets a little (a lot) annoying after awhile.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

kphoger

like I'm in the kitchen of a bland suburban mom who cares very much about keeping up appearances, who has invited me over to express disdain for the fact that her daughter might not make the cheerleading squad this year–I half-expect to see a "Live, Laugh, Love" plaque on the wall somewhere. ... plucky music over people purporting to be CFA employees discussing their product while sitting on those too-high stools that people with more marketing degrees than sense think people like to sit in.

By the way...  Now who's waxing poetic?   :clap:
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on August 06, 2021, 02:58:47 PM
I'll take that over creepy old Ronald McDonald any day.

Yeah, Ronald McDonald is sort of weird, but I don't think I've actually seen him used in an McD ad since I was a teenager. Maybe he still shows up in the ones I don't see, the more kid-oriented ones they show on Nickelodeon or whatever.

Quote from: kphoger on August 06, 2021, 03:06:50 PM
like I'm in the kitchen of a bland suburban mom who cares very much about keeping up appearances, who has invited me over to express disdain for the fact that her daughter might not make the cheerleading squad this year–I half-expect to see a "Live, Laugh, Love" plaque on the wall somewhere. ... plucky music over people purporting to be CFA employees discussing their product while sitting on those too-high stools that people with more marketing degrees than sense think people like to sit in.

Don't you expect that out of me by this point?  :biggrin:

CoreySamson

–I half-expect to see a "Live, Laugh, Love" plaque on the wall somewhere.
Funny, my local 90's era Arby's has one of these on the wall. I've always thought it looked completely tacky.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

kphoger

like I'm in the kitchen of a bland suburban mom who cares very much about keeping up appearances, who has invited me over to express disdain for the fact that her daughter might not make the cheerleading squad this year

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 06, 2021, 03:17:40 PM

Quote from: kphoger on August 06, 2021, 03:06:50 PM

Don't you expect that out of me by this point?  :biggrin:

I recently started reading a novel by Dostoevsky–my second so far.  For some reason I get the impression that, were he writing in 21st-Century America rather than 19-Century Russia/Europe, that might be just the sort of family scene he might describe.
Male pronouns, please.

Big John

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on August 06, 2021, 08:23:21 AM
anyone who's listened to denver-area radio growing up:

'now you have a friend in the diamond business. The Shane Company. just off arapahoe road on emporia street, one half mile east of i-25'.

somehow i always felt more comfortable knowing i had a friend in the diamond business.
Those were also played in Atlanta (Different locations of course).

renegade

Quote from: GaryV on August 06, 2021, 11:24:27 AM
There was a furniture store jingle, "You've got an uncle in the furniture business, Joshua Doore."
How about when they tried to adapt it under a different name?  "You've got an uncle in the furniture business, Robinson is your furniture store."

The whole "Uncle Robinson" theme was just ... weird.  I haven't seen that commercial in a few years decades. 

Clicky for some creepy nostalgia:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5akfGZ-y54
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

roadman65

It's a crime to pay more than a dime.

Many car dealers from Memphis to Jacksonville use the same female voice in their ads.

One catchphrase and one voice for all.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.