News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Bella Vista Bypass

Started by AHTD, July 22, 2015, 05:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AHTD

We have opened the next segment of the Bella Vista Bypass.

http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/SH_549_BVB_Signing_Memo.pdf

We'll schedule a ribbon cutting for sometime in August.
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

iBallasticwolf2

Looks great! Is this going to be another super section similar to the existing one or will it be 4 lanes?

What's up with the super-two interstate highway anyway?

Someone will have to edit OSM to fit in the new freeway section opening.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

US71

Quote from: AHTD on July 22, 2015, 05:15:26 PM

I know where I'll be this weekend ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

DeaconG

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 22, 2015, 05:56:59 PM

Lack. Of. Money.

When they get the funds they'll put the other two lanes down.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

capt.ron

I remember in a mid 1980's Rand McNally atlas when some of the interstates had "2 lanes" marked on some sections with I-75 "Alligator Alley" being a good example. It's been done before.

Henry

I-93 through Franconia Notch is still a Super-2 style freeway. I always thought such a setup was against Interstate standards, and it probably is, as in most places, there is a minimum of two lanes in each direction (for a total of four lanes).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Rothman

I believe that stretch was somehow "grandfathered" in.

Reminds me of NY and NY 17/I-86:  Here NYC has all these substandard expressways signed as Interstates and yet, because of not coming up with the idea for I-86 sooner, NYSDOT has to spend billions on the road before it can be signed I-86 due to FHWA now caring about standards (which is probably a good thing). :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US71

Quote from: DeaconG on July 23, 2015, 08:38:23 AM

Lack. Of. Money.

When they get the funds they'll put the other two lanes down.
If memory serves, they did purchase enough Right of Way, so that's one less headache.

dfwmapper

Also no point in building a 4 lane freeway that will basically serve as nothing but a spur to a town of a couple thousand people for the next decade until Missouri finds some money to build its portion of the bypass. The ROW is already there and partially cleared, and the bridges passing over the highway were built in anticipation of the second carriageway, so it will take minimal effort to widen it in the future.

Grzrd

The current estimated cost to add the two lanes to the entire Arkansas section of the BVB is $50 million.

rickmastfan67

Done.  Changeset 32839104 ;)

Are there any exit numbers posted on it?

yakra

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 23, 2015, 06:47:31 PM

Done.  Changeset 32839104 ;)
Noted. :D

Are there any exit numbers posted on it?
I'm willing to bet that's a No. ISTR reading elsewhere (on this forum?) that there are no exit numbers on the BVB. I imagine that's been continued on the new section.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

oscar

I posted, on the CHM forum, that the first Bella Vista bypass segment had no exit numbers (at least SB, the only direction I traveled it) last week. But the new FI-49/AR 549 segment near Ft. Smith does have exit numbers.

I have no idea which way the newest Bella Vista bypass segment will go. But I speculated in my CHM forum post that the exits on I-49 north of I-40 will need to be renumbered at some point to synch with those on the open I-49 and FI-49 segments south of I-40. If so, it would make sense to leave the Bella Vista FI-49 exits unnumbered for now.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

yakra

For purposes of the Clinched Highway Mapping (successor) project:

How is the exit at the northern end signed?
CR 34?
Rocky Dell Hollow Rd?
Something else?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

US71

Quote from: yakra on July 24, 2015, 03:07:57 PM

CR 34?
Rocky Dell Hollow Rd?
Something else?

I will investigate this weekend :)

I-39

And by the time Missouri has money to build their portion of the bypass, Arkansas won't have money to finish the remaining two lanes. This will take forever to get done, smh. :rolleyes:

US71

Quote from: I-39 on July 24, 2015, 05:40:19 PM
And by the time Missouri has money to build their portion of the bypass, Arkansas won't have money to finish the remaining two lanes. This will take forever to get done, smh. :rolleyes:

US71

CR 34?
Rocky Dell Hollow Rd?
Something else?

It's not signed at all along 549 or the exit ramp.  The closest sign is just east at Highland Blvd and it's posted as 34C Rocky Dell Hollow Rd.

Hwy 72 (the north end, now the middle exit) is signed simply as AR 72. The southern 72 is still not posted along 549.

A few other observations: the steel work appears to be finished over McKissick Creek (behind Lowes). There is a partial bridge at Peach Orchard Rd on the east side. On the west side, it's still predominantly dirt work. 

Some dirt work near Hiwasse/Gravette at Faux Rd, also at Banks Ln.  This is part of the southern connector back to Bella Vista.

Also caught some dirt work on the 412 Bypass: there are bridge columns under construction where 112 will pass over 412.

O Tamandua

This segment, though, is an interesting one and in a way I'm glad there's a delay on the Missouri side.  Bella Vista is the very last of the "big cities" in Northwest Arkansas to have a paved road (and a significant one at that) to open up the west side of the city.  Every road that went west of the Glasgow/Highland intersection was mainly dirt.  There are going to be a LOT of changes in west BV upcoming, and I'm not sure the Glasgow/Highland intersection (A. that may not be the right word as essentially one turns into the other, Glasgow heading northeast then east, Highland heading southeast then east; B. they're each two lane with not much of a shoulder) would have been ready for heavy traffic as it inevitably will receive when the BVB is complete.

This area will be fascinating to watch.  As it is, west Bella Vista / the Highlands has now started to be opened up to the rest of the world, literally.

US71

Quote from: O Tamandua on July 26, 2015, 02:13:46 AM
This segment, though, is an interesting one and in a way I'm glad there's a delay on the Missouri side.  Bella Vista is the very last of the "big cities" in Northwest Arkansas to have a paved road (and a significant one at that) to open up the west side of the city.  Every road that went west of the Glasgow/Highland intersection was mainly dirt.  There are going to be a LOT of changes in west BV upcoming, and I'm not sure the Glasgow/Highland intersection (A. that may not be the right word as essentially one turns into the other, Glasgow heading northeast then east, Highland heading southeast then east; B. they're each two lane with not much of a shoulder) would have been ready for heavy traffic as it inevitably will receive when the BVB is complete.

This area will be fascinating to watch.  As it is, west Bella Vista / the Highlands has now started to be opened up to the rest of the world, literally.

34C (it's more a spur of 34) ends at Highland. Follow Highland south, it eventually shifts E-W and crosses Forest Hills Blvd (AR 279) with Highland becoming AR 348/ Lancashire.

AHTD

Quote from: US71 on July 25, 2015, 09:08:35 PM

CR 34?
Rocky Dell Hollow Rd?
Something else?

It's not signed at all along 549 or the exit ramp.  The closest sign is just east at Highland Blvd and it's posted as 34C Rocky Dell Hollow Rd.

Hwy 72 (the north end, now the middle exit) is signed simply as AR 72. The southern 72 is still not posted along 549.

A few other observations: the steel work appears to be finished over McKissick Creek (behind Lowes). There is a partial bridge at Peach Orchard Rd on the east side. On the west side, it's still predominantly dirt work. 

Some dirt work near Hiwasse/Gravette at Faux Rd, also at Banks Ln.  This is part of the southern connector back to Bella Vista.

Also caught some dirt work on the 412 Bypass: there are bridge columns under construction where 112 will pass over 412.

The only exit other than the termini is the Ark. 72 South interchange. It should have an un-numbered exit. However, if you look at our previous postings, you can tell what those numbers will be.
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

US71

I noticed Google Maps has already updated the road.

The Ghostbuster

It seems like we'll all be old and gray by the time the Bella Vista Bypass is finished and officially designated Interstate 49.

US71

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 28, 2015, 07:28:55 PM
It seems like we'll all be old and gray by the time the Bella Vista Bypass is finished and officially designated Interstate 49.
I won't... I'll be old and bald :(

noelbotevera

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 28, 2015, 07:28:55 PM
Unless Missouri decides to be a good partner, and give Arkansas some money to finish off the last two lanes, and complete the Bella Vista Bypass, and Arkansas can help Missouri by making that court paper or whatever go away by using some special moves (and remember, when all else fails, use brute force and be completely ruthless), then yes, that prediction is coming true.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.